Allergy Community
The Best Allergy Testing Methods??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

The Best Allergy Testing Methods??

I'm looking for some advice about food Allergy Testing Methods.

I feel that food is one of the most crucial parts of our ongoing health but can also cause us unknown problems if our body does not find something agreeable.

I'm looking to find out which Method would be the best to do a broad sweep of different types of food and test accurately if I am allergic to any of them.
I have been told that the method of testing food on your back if extremely inaccurate and can give a lot of false negatives and was recommended as one not to take. I have taken an allergy test which involved a small electrical device and me holding something in my hand and the tester using a device to see which food essences was my body was reacting to negatively. I was very sceptical of that system but someone told me that this system is quite accurate.

I'm hoping that someone knows a lot about this and can point me in the right direction. I'm basically looking for a system where I can go and have my body tested for maybe 50 or 100 types of food so I know if any of them are affecting me negatively. I am having some medical problems and I feel that some of these are being made worse due to my diet.

Any help you can provide (even if it is links to other websites) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Seems like you are on the right track, in that We are What we eat.  Can you give some of your symptoms that you feel are due to a food allergy?  If you don't feel comfortable listing them, you could send me a message with them.  I am personally getting tested this friday (and I have already been tested for one allergy in particular with an accurate test just for that allergy), and had the same concerns as you but didn't get much response except there is the ***** test you mentioned, but there is a blood test (ELISA I believe) that is probably more accurate; I am not sure if that tests for specific antibodies or not.  But I will see more this friday as I am going to see an allergist and hoping he will know best; I don't generally like to assume things like that, but I can't find anything better than the blood testing.

It would be best to consult an allergy specialist and discuss all your doubts in detail with the specialist.

The skin p rick test is the most widely used allergy testing test and you are generally tested for multiple antigens.

Do let us know what your allergy specialist tells you and about how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
What I am looking for is a test that will test me for a broad spectrum of foods. I am unsure if I am allergic to any foods at all but the electronic test (I spoke of above, don’t know the name) told me that Tomatoes, Peanuts, Pork and citrus fruits were the foods that disagreed with my body. Soonerman, my symptoms were kind of gout-like but after visiting my doctor and having some blood tests he ruled out gout. I get extreme pain in my Knees and they lock up as if there were fluid trapped (they also swell up a lot). Lately this pain has been travelling down to my ankles and I am having trouble with them but I believe the trouble with my ankles is to do with my weight than anything else.
The problem that I have is that my confidence in this test is not great. I'm not sure if that’s because of the method, the tester or just my lack of knowledge of the test its self. But I would like to find out if there is such a thing as an accurate method of testing for many types of different food so I can discover and confirm if I am actually allergic to some or any of these foods.

BhumikaMD, "The skin p*ick test" is, according to some of the articles I have read, extremely inaccurate and can give off a lot of false negatives.
I have sent you a message for a website with some information.

Yes you are right about the test, but still it cannot be ruled out that it is the most widely used allergic testing method used till date and by most allergy specialists.

You could talk to your allergy specialist about any use of getting it done in your specific case.

How are you doing now?

Keep us posted.

Regards.