Allergy Community
The evil Dr. Pepper

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

The evil Dr. Pepper

There is no question I'm allergic to Dr. Pepper. When I drink it my upper lip swells and tingles. Also, and this is strange the roof of my mouth itches. I have had this all my life. I just stay away from Dr. Pepper. I wonder the heck can be in it that causes this reaction? Does anyone else have an allery to Dr. Pepper?
  • Allergic reaction (2 replies):
    Everytime I eat anything I have an allergic reaction run...[more]
  • food allergy (2 replies):
    what is the usual time frame for allergic reactions to o...[more]
  • allergies (1 replies):
    When I eat anything with peanuts or peanut butter I get ...[more]
  • Allergies (1 replies):
    our grandson, who is 14 months, has broken out in a rash...[more]
  • allergy (1 replies):
    should i get tested for dary too cause i get congested w...[more]
Hi, welcome to the forum, determination of the food you are allergic to, is one of the challenges which you need to pass through. The common existing food allergens are Peanut flour, peanut butter, powdered egg white etc. But in your case it is quite evident that you are allergic to pepper.

Other concurrent triggering factors are acid reflux, medication, malnutrition, oral candidiasis, anxiety, dry mouth, diabetes, thyroid etc.

Pepper contains Capsaicin; it increases mucosal blood flow and/or vascular permeability. This can be responsible for swelling and tingling. Moreover you are allergic to it.

As allergic reactions are IgE mediated, blood tests will show increase in these levels secondary to a food allergy.

When such food is consumed in large quantities can elicit allergic reaction in the form of hives, redness of skin, itching etc. You need to note down such food also in your diary and avoid the intake in future.

I suggest you to consult skin specialist/ immunologist for further line of management. Take care and regards.
I drank dr. pepper last night and my throat swelled up and almost put me in the hospital. it is the first time i have ever had that happen with dr. pepper but i am developing all kinds of strange allergies.

i spoke to a grandma today.  his cheecks swell when he drinks it.

i had never heard of anyone ever alergic (allergic) to it till today.
My left side gets paralyzed like I'm having a stroke. My tounge swells up I get a severe headache fever like symthomes on my face on the lift side with ear piercing pain. The headache is migraine intense. All test results come back negative for stroke or blockage of arteries.