Allergy Community
Tickle in throat / possibly cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Tickle in throat / possibly cancer?

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum to be asking his, but for the past 3 weeks or so, I've had this annoying tickle / irritation in my throat to the point of where it feels like I might have to cough, but I don't actually have to cough. I'm 30 years old, no history of asthma or allergies (other than dust / mold) and was a very light smoker for a few years. I have had post nasal drip for a long time and I know what that felt like. This feels very specifically like I have to cough but can't. My fiance suggested allergies, but as I said I was tested for allergies and didn't react to pollen or grass or weeds. The feeling is there most of the time. Usually a few hrs per day I get a break. But I guess I'm just super paranoid bc its not getting any worse and it's not getting any better. My mom is fairly young and has been diagnosed w/ lung cancer. Just worried there's a genetic thing going on there. Obviously I'm overreacting a little bit, but I just want to know what this might be. I guess it could very well be a cold, but it hasn't gotten worse at all. Just a constant annoying feeling of almost needing to cough.
I'm having similar thoughts and problems.  I smoke marijuana, no cigarettes, and was a heavy alcoholic in college, not anymore just an occasional drink here and there.  I have a recurring tickle also.  On top of that, I have had a sore throat twice this month, and now my nose is stopped up and running like crazy.  People don't respond much on here regarding cancer questions, but does anyone have any advice?
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

How long ago were you tested for allergies?  Allergies change over time, even short periods of time.  I had significant changes in two years.  So, I wouldn't rule out allergies.  

You should also discus GERD with your doctor.  There is a form of GERD called Laryngeal-Pharyngeal Reflux (LPR) that does not have the typical reflux symptoms.  It can cause post nasal drip, cough, sinus infections, asthma like symptoms (is frequently miss diagnosed as asthma).  That is another good possibility.  

You need to see your doctor for an accurate diagnosis.  You really shouldn't worry about cancer at this point.  The chances of that are very slim.  See your doctor and then go from there.

Take care and God bless.

Hi, welcome to the forum, the possibilities of such trickling in throat are Allergic or seasonal rhinitis, Bacterial pharyngitis or tonsillitis, Sinusitis, Influenza etc. It is very important to point out the source of infection.

This feeling of something there in the throat is known as Globus sensation. This is mainly seen in gastro esophageal reflex disease or hyperplastic tonsil.

You should stop taking spicy food, vinegar, alcohol, cigarette smoking if present.
A 24hrs gastric pH and urease breath test with upper GI endoscopy will help to substantiate diagnosis.

Antacids and proton pump inhibitors will reduce the acidity for which consult a physician.
The other possibilities are abnormal upper esophageal sphincter function, stress or psychological abnormality causes this sensation due to altered upper esophageal pressure. You may need to undergo endoscopic evaluation. Firstly I suggest you to consult ENT surgeon for possible causes and further management. Take care and regards.