Allergy Community
Tickle in throat after a cold
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Tickle in throat after a cold

Every time I am getting over a cold I end up with a persistent tickle way down in the back of my throat that coughing does nothing for. When I feel the tickle starting I try everything I can to stop it such as clearing my throat, coughing, drinking lots of water and so on but nothing stops it. It seems that only after having a very embarrassing coughing fit where I sometimes strain to breathe followed by a bout of sneezes is the the only thing to stop the tickle. I really hate being in public when this happens because once the tickle has stopped I have done coughed and sneezed so much that my eyes are red and watering and my nose is running but because this lasts 2-3 weeks after my cold I simply can't stay in doors till it's fully gone. I have inhalers that I have tried but nothiong seems to help.
Related Discussions
1355118_tn?1298568479
Hi, welcome to the forum, your symptoms are suggestive of sinusitis. The causes of these are bacterial infection like streptococcal, staphylococcal, Tuberculosis, Bronchiectasis and Fungal infections.

This can be associated with postnasal drip and throat clearing. This can in turn irritate the throat lining. Other important causes are allergic rhinosinusitis, acid reflux etc.

You need to send the throat swab for culture, microscopy, staining to rule out the pathogen and should also take chest radiograph. Antibiotic sensitivity of culture will decide the effective drug.

The other possibilities are gastro esophageal reflex disease, hyperplastic tonsil, abnormal upper esophageal sphincter function, stress or psychological abnormality causes this sensation due to altered upper esophageal pressure. You may need to undergo endoscopic evaluation.

Firstly I suggest you to consult ENT surgeon for possible causes and further management. Take care and regards.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...