Allergy Community
Tickle in throat after a cold

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Tickle in throat after a cold

Every time I am getting over a cold I end up with a persistent tickle way down in the back of my throat that coughing does nothing for. When I feel the tickle starting I try everything I can to stop it such as clearing my throat, coughing, drinking lots of water and so on but nothing stops it. It seems that only after having a very embarrassing coughing fit where I sometimes strain to breathe followed by a bout of sneezes is the the only thing to stop the tickle. I really hate being in public when this happens because once the tickle has stopped I have done coughed and sneezed so much that my eyes are red and watering and my nose is running but because this lasts 2-3 weeks after my cold I simply can't stay in doors till it's fully gone. I have inhalers that I have tried but nothiong seems to help.
Hi, welcome to the forum, your symptoms are suggestive of sinusitis. The causes of these are bacterial infection like streptococcal, staphylococcal, Tuberculosis, Bronchiectasis and Fungal infections.

This can be associated with postnasal drip and throat clearing. This can in turn irritate the throat lining. Other important causes are allergic rhinosinusitis, acid reflux etc.

You need to send the throat swab for culture, microscopy, staining to rule out the pathogen and should also take chest radiograph. Antibiotic sensitivity of culture will decide the effective drug.

The other possibilities are gastro esophageal reflex disease, hyperplastic tonsil, abnormal upper esophageal sphincter function, stress or psychological abnormality causes this sensation due to altered upper esophageal pressure. You may need to undergo endoscopic evaluation.

Firstly I suggest you to consult ENT surgeon for possible causes and further management. Take care and regards.
Wow Doc, you totally blew that one out of proportion; way to freak the poor girl out. I know what she's talking about; the itchiness from healing tissues that have been damaged from a bout of laryngitis or rhinovirus.  Just like a scab becomes pruritic as tissue is regrown, the same sensation can occur in the esophagus, trachea and larynx.  That's the tickle she is referring to, and is a normal process of healing and can be incredibly irritating, causing an almost uncontrollable bronchiospasm.  Things that can help are, as she said, keeping the area moist by drinking water, or sucking on a cough drop, warm drinks such as honey and lemon... if these aren't enough, things that I have noticed that help me are over the counter cough suppressants.  The symptoms I am referring to are temporary...and if they continue past the time one should be well, of course, speak to your primary care manager so that other, more serious things can be ruled out.

I am not a doctor and not able to give medical advice, however, I can say what has helped me.