Allergy Community
Tide Skin Hives - Why?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Tide Skin Hives - Why?

Hello. Im having a problem. You see. When My family began using Tide Detergent Ive been getting very large hives on my skin. They are usually between 4inches long to about 7 inches wide ( Yes , Ive measured. ) Anyway as my mother began to use the Tide the problem of these hives got increasingly worse and worse. Now after about 4 months of using it it's now a daily occurance after I get out of the shower. Please tell me why this is happening. If so is there any kind of common allergen in there?

P.s Ive also read on many other sites that alot of people since the recent lines of Tide have come out have been having this. Please help them along with me in this.
I'd suggest you ask your mom if you can buy a detergent other than Tide that might work better for you & not cause you hives.  You can keep your clothes separate and wash them yourself.  There are many products which advertise a "Free & Clear" line that is supposed to free of scent and additives which cause problems for sensitive folks.
Our family uses ALL detergent, "Free & Clear" & it has worked pretty well for us.  You may need to experiment with several brands to find out which one(s) work OK for you.  Ask your folks to help you with this.
Sounds like you need to wash your own linens (including towels) too.
Ideally, once you find which detergent you're not sensitive to, you could get your family to switch  to it.  You may want to start by switching back to whatever detergent your family had used before it started Tide & see whether that works OK for you & the rest of the family.  Good luck--hives can really be nasty (as you unforutnately know firsthand)!
Starion
I have used Tide my entire life.  I too have developed a serious problem with Tide particularly since they began concentrating the liquid detergent.  I went through and re-washed everying in my wardrobe and linen closet using the Tide Free detergent and fabric softening sheets - plus I rinsed everything twice.   Is it just Tide that is causing the problem?  Are there laundry products available for senstive skin?  What is it in the detergent that is causing the problem.  I even had my face and eyes to swell up.  Elaine
This an allergic reaction to the chemical composition of Tide probably.Contact dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin caused by direct contact with an irritating or allergy-causing substance (irritant or allergen). Reactions may vary in the same individual over time.
Irritant dermatitis, the most common type of contact dermatitis, involves inflammation resulting from contact with acids, alkaline materials such as soaps and detergents, solvents, or other chemicals.
The best teatment is to avoid contact.You can take oral anti-histamines to treat it.Also you could apply Calamine lotion on the affected areas.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/adam1000869
i used this once and my underarms broke out in hives, then the skin dried up and got real itchy and it seems as though my body is replacing the old skin with new skin which is really sensitive and burns when i put deoderant on, i cannot stand tide and now i have gone back to using gain, i hope my condition will eventually subside, i have re washed all my clothes with gain and am just trying to wait this condition out
I have problems with hives about 4 inches long and high on my skin. I believe it is the tide.  I notice there is a increase in being concentrated more.  I have used tide for years and I am beginning to think that this is it.  WHen i get in the bathtub to take a bath they become very itchy. And when I get out I put baby powder on them and it stops itching. My doctor put me on predizone now and onother med at night,  How can I solve this.  Shoul I start using the algetic detergent tide offers.
I burned my hand and my doctor had me soak it in a mixture of
Tide and water to help alleviate scarring. This resulted in an allergic reaction to milk protein- even a very , very small amount - such as is found in a bit of parmesan or the cheese in a goldfish. I have to stay away from cinnamon too. I wish I had never seen Tide! It has been three years and my allergies are getting worse and more varied instead of improving. Before I soaked my hand in Tide I wasn't allergic to any food. -by the way I was given skin and blood tests which did not show a reaction. Apparently I have to consume the substance to swell up. break out in hives and itch to death. I am also beginning to get allergic reactions from smells. -Is there anything that can help?

Chinacreek
My mother used Tide and I broke out with dermatitis, hives, itching/irritated skin.  I went away from Tide until someone in the household forgot and bought the new improved Tide....   Let's just say I had to benadril/oatmeal baths/hydrocortisone cream and I then had to go to a dermatologist.   I had to rewash 3 weeks worth of clothes and now I am fine.  I highly recommend to everyone to stay away from Tide.
I have used Tide powder for at least 4 yrs.  Several months ago, my face became very red and I developed scaly patches above my mouth and under my eyes.  Went to dermatologist and he said it was contact dermititis.  I bought fragrance free shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, etc.  Didn't work.  He then told me to get "All" detergent, the clear one without perfumes, etc.  I bought it but never expected anything.  Rewashed my sheets with it and started using it on my clothes.  Three days later, my face is totally clear!  No more Tide for me.
I too have the same problem. I now use "All" or "Purex" and dont have a problem.
How long did it take for your hives to stop coming back? After you rewashed everything for the first time and then slept in the new sheets did they just go away or did it take a few days for them to completely disappear.  I have been getting hives everyday for the past 3 weeks and the only new thing is our detergent - Tide HE...we got a new washer and dryer.  I switched yesterday to the Seventh Generation brand (HE) to see if it would work...but still work up with hives.  I am hoping my body just needs a few days to adjust...does anyone have any words of wisdom?
I was able to determine that Tide Clean Breeze was the culprit of my skin itching problem. This can affect you if anyone in your house uses it, if you have sensitive skin as it leaves residue in the washer/dryer, plus I suspect it rubs off on furniture and may even break into particles that go airborne. I didn't have a rash, just felt like bugs crawling all over me and especially in my hair and facial hair.

Please read my other posts for my history with this problem.
I TOO NOW SEE THAT TIDE IS MY PROBLEM AND I AM ITCHING LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW,AND THE ITCHING IS TOO MUCH,

WILL REWASH MY CLOTHES AND GO BCK TO HAVE I WAS USING ARM AND HAMMER DETERGENT,

I AM GOING TO CONTACT TIDE RE: ITCHING ISSUE,

You may have hives and should see your pediatrician. My daughter has hives from a recent allergic reaction. Our pediatrician's recommendation is Benadryl (over the counter allergy medicine).

We are seeking the cause of the sudden allergic reaction. Recently, we bought a High Efficiency machne and started using Tide HE products. One brand did not cause a rash. We believe the Original Scent LOADS OF HOPE liquid bottle is the culprit. (The is another product of Tide for HE machines in liquid form, possibly 2X ULTRA, did not cause a problem for us.) We're investigating.

Thanks for reporting your finds!

My husband bought the cheap Xtra detergent w fragrance in purple bottle.  Twice I have had a skin reaction to it.  I wasn't sure what it was the first time and then I felt a burning sensation on my inner calf.  It actually burned my skin both on the side of calf and on top of my calf.  I have NEVER had any other detergent cause such burning, inflammation.  Looks like a bad sunburn.  I rinsed my legs with cold water.  Then, I put my clothes through another rinse cycle but I'll probably have to go back and do that to all the clothes and linens used in this.  I think the formula is way too strong and these chemicals could seep into the blood stream.  Also, the fabric clothes are probably not good to use either.  Not good at all!  Thanks for all your comments and what to use on the inflamed areas.  
I'm allergic to Tide detergent too!! Whenever I contact to the clothes or bed sheet anything washed by Tide detergent, my body will start itching and it may cause rash that itching as hell... Seriously, stay away from Tide!!
it all strarted for me when i bought some work wear from wal-mart. major rash lookin like lots of little water filled blisters, very red, swollen, and irritable. ever since then i can go no where near any detergent but ABC free/clear. tide powder is by far the most irritable for me. rash was located in areas where the clothing is pressed against you ie: sweater cuffs, lower back, shoulders. life was hell. benadryl and steroid cream work best for non-script stuff.cover with gauss for work, put the cream to her hard..
I am not quite sure why but any detergent really works except Tide. Any product with Tide gives me hive rashes that turn to BLOODY rashes. Of course scabbing and not a pretty sight. This is due to a chemical they use, scent etc. however I will use any detergent except Tide. My skin was sensitive when I was younger, cat allergies, milk and perfume. All I have slowly introduced and have gone away until my fiance tried to introduce Tide. 1 year later still the rashes and now scars. Something interesting.
cheer   doesnt make me itch  been itch free for 10 years sad thing i wore clothes someone else did my laundry a week ago now i am itching ahhhh but cheer does not make you itch
I have been using Tide product for many years. Two years ago I started using the Tide for sensitive skin (in white bottle), they worked perfectly fine for me.

About a month ago, I got some break outs, went to doctors, even emergency six times ( because in Canada, my city, to see the dermatologist take at least 6 months waiting). I was constantly told it was flea bites. They looks like flea bites and extremely itch. They come out a couple of every day. I called up pest control company, they told me if I have no pet, no carpet, they won't think there is any flea.

Since there is no dermatologist, it really bothers me. I called up my relatives in my home country. They suggest it might be some kind of allergy and ask me if I have change any product recently.  Then I suddenly remembered I bought the new product from Tide ---called Tide Total Care 7 signs of...( in orange color bottle in Canada). I have been using it for a month, laundry weekly. The break out start roughly the same time of that. So I rewashed all clothes I used with the Tide Total Care. Now I'm not getting any new break outs.

BE CAREFUL, SOMETHING WRONG IN TIDE TOTAL CARE product.
I'm not saying any other products from Tide, I have been using Tide for almost 8 years, this is the first product I got problem with.

I usually don't stick with the same detergents, and have never had any problems with allergic reactions. I decided to buy Tide Total Care and right away I started getting tiny, very itchy, hives all over my body. It's a very uncomfortable feeling...I could barely sleep! I'm glad google the issue to find that i am not the only one experiencing this problem. They should recall this product if possible.
I am glad to read these posts about Tide causing allergic reactions for some people;  I could not understand for the life of me why I was breaking out until I finally narrowed it down to Tide Free and Gentle.  The old Tide Free did not cause me any discomforts.  I wrote the company and they apologized and offered to send me some free coupons.  Go figure!  I went back to Arm and Hammer and have not had a problem with it;however, I wore a shirt today that must be a remnant from the "Tide laundry" and broke out with the same awful rash.  I am completely done with it!
I'm 40 years old and never had skin problems at all. This last winter I switch to Tide for the first time in my life and I end up spending the whole winter like an episode of itchy and scratchy. Now I switch back to other brands and problem solved. Really, forget about Tide if you don't want health problems in your family.
suggestions
1. is the skin clean?
2. are you eating toxic compounds? If yes, tide will definitely make the skin worse.
3. is tide really rinsed out with a lot of water? If no, then I suggest rinsing with water
4. does tide cause trouble because you absorbed it, cause on the pages of the product there is this "do not eat or absorb product"
5. do you prefer a detergent that will clean clothes, sustains health and environment?
Tide is an indication of poison and bacteria disinfectant that washes the clothes for only about 20%-100% of the time. Mostly, tide really mess up the nucleus of cells, but it does the job.
I have had skin problems since switching to tide free and clear...itchy rashes and giant hives.  We use an extra rinse cycle and I usually use less than called for amounts of detergent.  Still VERY severe skin problems.  
When I was elementary school (I'm 24 now), I developed hives all over my body! My parents changed everything (except the detergent) they were using to help make this go away but nothing worked. We finally figured out that it was the Tide detergent that was causing these hives. Since then, I've been pretty good about making sure I don't come into contact with Tide. However, recently I started house/dog sitting and one of the people I am house/dog sitting for is my landlord. I became really itchy today and could not figure out why until I looked at the type of detergent she has..... It's Tide!! Now I am suffering at work (working outside in the heat!) and trying not to scratch!! Anyone know how to make this go away?? Will it take a little while??
OMG! I've been suffering from these itchy hives for 4 days now and as I was trying to recall what might have caused these I remembered doing my laundry with the new detergent Tide powder 4-5days ago. I googled "hives Tide" and came across this thread! I immediately took a shower to wash off allergens I may have on my body and wore clothes that were not washed with the new detergent. I will observe what happens and give an update on these hives breakout!
I just moved into a new place and bought new detergent as well.. TIDE with the downy breeze.. I have been itchy and have little bumps on me like I got bit by something.  It stops in one place and then starts in another. At first I thought it was the new place, maybe fleas or bed bugs or something. But my baby or boyfriend are not itchy and dont have bumps. My baby crawls around all day on the floor and she is fine. After googling this, I realize now that it must be the detergent+
Reading this is crazy right now, I have hives and I didnt know were they are coming from, I noticed that nobody has pictures of the hives caused by tide.  I usually use the normal tide but I did switch up to the frebreeze tide.   I cant seem to think of anything else it could be.  My doctore gave me the same thing as another person on here the predisone, and the other drug just to take at night.  They dont seem to be working.  I dont want to go to the expensive ER , i just want a remedy that is going to work in getting rid of these irrating itchy hives. How long is the old fashion way going to take of just washing everything that you got all over again?  HELP!
I've also used Tide off and on for years and never had a problem so when I suddenly broke out with hives I couldn't get rid of I didn't think this was it.  I had also made changes to my diet so I was convinced it had to be food based, but after an exhausting process of elimination and more itching that OTC Benedryl could not quell, I was no closer.  At the doctor's office, she goes through the standard questions, and she gets to  "Have you changed detergents-do you use Tide?" without even waiting for my response in between.  I had just switched back to Tide and done only two loads with the new bottle, and since I had used Tide before, I really didn't think that was it, but the doctor was insistent that she has had two other patients since the first of the year with Tide allergies. She thinks they may have changed their formula around the end of the year.  Moreover, she confirmed that Tide is extremely harsh and can trigger other allergies, so the hives may return and I may find that I can not switch back to Gain or Cheer.  She recommended a mild allergen free detergent or even woolite, snowy, or dreft, until I healed.  When I went home, I confirmed this was some new and improved Tide Plus (with an added fabric softener and new scent, etc.) that was slightly different than what I had used.  Thanks Tide for continuing to add unnecessary chemicals to the products, which only drives up the consumer costs, for what?   Really enjoying this.
Thanks for the post. I think it's important to get the word out there just how bad Tide can be for certain people, and also the dynamics of how it can affect people -- the fact that no one in the house can use Tide because it stays in the washer to some degree between loads, and also can rub off on furniture which in turn can get on someone who's allergic.

I definitively determined that Tide Mountain Spring makes me itch like crazy. I now use All Free & Clear which I have no problems with.
I am now wondering if TIDE is the problem to my itchy skin and noticed little hives popping up in different places on my body.  I was afraid it was bug bites but I checked in my house and don't see any type of bugs.  My 6 month baby and husband is having the same problem now.  First, I thought it was the TIDE with downy because I was getting the hives and itchyness.  Then I changed to the regular TIDE and now my husband is having problems with small hives and itching his skin.  I have two other daughters that are not having problems.  Not sure what is going on but it is freaking me out.  I do use dreft detergant for my baby's clothes.  I will rewash all our clothes and bedding with dreft to see if this works.  I hope it is nothing serious.  
I spent two months scratching my skin all day long before stumbling upon this thread. Then I put Tide aside, rewashed my clothes, and all magically disappeared. Unbelievable how bad Tide was on my skin! Another case to add to the list of confirmed "tide hives".
Congratulations for finding your miracle cure :)  
Tide is evil! At least the fragranced-up versions. Remember too the dynamics of the stuff - no one else in your house can use it cause it will contaminate your washer/dryer for a couple loads afterwards + its particles tend to get on bedding and furniture where you can pick them up on your skin and start itching again.
I have had these hives for 2 or 3 years around my waistband area on and off. I read this thread and went to my laundry room and found Tide detergent.  I quickly start washing my clothes twice in just water, no soap. I work all day in the heat today, no itches. This afternoon, i went and picked up All detergent. Cannot wait til tommorow to test it. But I am sure the outcome will be good. I cannot thank eveyone enough for discussing this issue. People just cant understand how sad this willl make someone feel. I have felt like I have worn a poison ivy belt for years. Bought so many products, lotions, selsun blue. Nothing had ever worked. Screw Tide. I have so many scars now from that crap. Thanx again everyone.
I have been using tide for years!  This past week, after opening a new box of Tide..i developed hives over my chest and waste area..(where clothes fit the clothest to the body). I returned the powder (original) and bought the liquid. I rewashed everything i could think of today but now i think I made a mistake and should have avoided Tide all together because Im still scratching. Even with benedryl and prednisone prescribed today. How can i complain to the company..this is just wrong!
Stop using Tide immediately. Rewash all your clothes and sheets in a detergent that is not HE if you don't have a High Efficiency washer. If you have HE then buy another brand and only use a small bit. I was buying Tide Free and Gentle HE instead of Tide Free and Gentle Regular - the packaging is identical except for the little symbol of the washer and HE. I have suffered with a severe rash for 3 months because I didn't know I was using HE by mistake. I have seen 5 doctors and was on Prednisone for 10 days. I finally figured it out when I read a blog about Tide HE and people having rashes and hives. I went down and checked the label again and realized that I was buying the one for HE. It's been 2 weeks now and the rash is finally almost gone.  Hope this helps. I just spent 3 nightmarish months and am pissed at Protor and Gamble.
I just realized now that Tide may be the reason why I've been breaking into hives and crying (literally) every night since February.  It was around that time that I moved in with a friend that used Tide.  I had a severe cough that my doctor told me was allergies. Soon afterwards, extreme itching (non-stop itching every second of the day on every inch of my body) ensued. I experienced a month and a half of relief in Vietnam where Tide wasn't around. I have been blaming it on my lotions (I have like six different kinds now). I rewashed all of my laundry with TIde because I thought it could be dust.. but, I now realize my mistake..
Glad you finally realized it was Tide. Don't forget that everyone in your household must stop using it, not just yourself for the effects to go away. If your friend keeps using it, you'll still be affected because it stays in the washer/dryer in some capacity for a load or two afterwards. Also, the particles will rub off on furniture and bedding and can get on you that way too.

Good Luck!
I,ve had itching since i started using it. drive a tractor trailer driving down the road scracthing my back with a fork. seems like wherever sweat was an itch feet back neck .Thanks for this site and back to cheap all detergent
It might be possible you have a rubber allergy. The waist band of underwear is usually made of rubber. Rubber free underwear is available. Google it
I am also sensitive to most laundry soaps. I wash my clothes with detergent, then I wash them again in a complete wash and rinse cycle with no detergent or fabric softener at all.  This will get rid of most detergent residue.
Hope this helps.
I had been using Tide  for decades, since childhood  w/o any issue until suddenly breaking out in  hives that spanned a size range from 1/2 inch to 7inches  long.  We played the "what could this be" game as well, until my husband noted that the hives seemed to centralized  only where clothing   touched  my bod,  most particularly at stress  points like the stomach,  sides, thighs, upper arms and small of  my back. As soon as I called the dermatologist the first question he asked was what detergent are you using and I said Tide Free & Clear. He said they were seeing a lot of patients with similar ailments, specific to Tide Free & Clear and the Ultra brand. why I would have an allergic reaction to Tide Free & Clear and not regular tide is  curious. We switched to All's Free  & clear and have been using that for over 13 years now and I haven't  had a problem since. We re washed everything in 6 cycles of All Free  &  Clear and the Hives immediately disappeared as soon as we switches and the doctor prescribed some Prednisolone.
I used regular powder Tide forever but switched to HE to save the enviroment. I dont have a modern HE washer and I am plagued with itchy bumps wherever my clothes rub. Its awful. I use one quarter of what they recomend.
It's so relieving to read this thread. I thought I was going crazy scratching incessantly for the past few weeks. Then it dawned on me that I started using the "Tide Plus a touch of Downy" a few weeks ago. I don't know what to do with all of this soap, but I do know it's not worth all of this itching. I am disposing of it now, and hopefully will never have to experience the dread of itching that I have experienced over these past few weeks. NO MORE TIDE ever for me.