Allergy Community
Titanium Dental implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Titanium Dental implant

I had a titanium dental implant over a year ago and now suffer from dermatitis around my mouth witch has spread to my chin, and eczema on my hands and know in my nose!  I have muscle aches and suffer from fatigue. I had a blood test done through the Melisa Institute and showed a 3.50 in sensitivity to titanium trichloride, the recommendation is to have the metal removed, except no one wants to touch it, because it is a front tooth!  I am 39yrs. old and recently married and wanted to start a family but for one thing do not physically feel well enough and am afraid of the effects this allergy could have an a child, I know MS and Autism are linked to this metal allergy!  If we can clone animals how come I can't find an oral surgen willing to remove my implant!!!!  Any suggestions Am am so tired and frustrated!
Tags: titanium, TKR titanium aller, titanium allergy
Read the thread above, I am wondering if this is my problem as I had similar dental work done in May Have had Chronic Hives since, I didnt know if it was the Penicillin or the Numbing agent they used or the Trauma,it was horriby painful and went wrong,I will put this into my search engine ,can you message me anything more you have found out.

Titanium which is a bioactive metal is capable of tricking the body into believing that the implant is a tooth.  Because of this the bone bonds to the implant as though it were the root of a tooth.  When the implant moves after it is placed, the body recognizes it as a foreign object and rejects it.This causes an allergic reaction to the implant.
http://www.lvimplant.com/Page18.html
But true allergy to titanium is rare.When titanium is combined with other metals like nickel,then allergy can take place as nickel is a  common sensitizer.

Diagnosis is done by skin patch test or blood tests for allergy. MELISA (Memory Lymphocyte Immunostimulation Assay) test is a blood test that is confirmatory for metal allergy.

I sincerely advise you to consult your dentist who had put the implants and ask him to remove them.If he is not willing then other dentists should be tried.

I hope it helps.Take care and regards.

I had implant 2 months ago.  Joine pain, now very painful headache in temples has followed.  Melisa test done.  Mild allergy to titanium.  Carefully weighing my options
My implant surgeon is on my side whatever I want to do.
He said he can remove the implant.  Not easy or what he wants to do, but definitely
can do it for me.   I will have a hole afterwards (front tooth) and will need a bone graft.

It is the only explanation we can find for having these headaches.  

This is an awful situation to be in, since my implant procedure went very well.

Let me know the details of your situation and the symptoms you are experiencing.

Hopefully, together, we can all get enough pieces of the titanium puzzle to get us all feeling better.
Please write back to me and bring me up to date on your condition.
I am very much interested in how things have progressed.
I am just miserable with joint and muscle pain since dental implant was put in
sept. 2009.

Please get back to me as soon as you can.

Hope you are doing much better now.

Maryann
I too had an implant, had a metalic taste that lead to sever pain and swelling in my feet and joints.  I have seen many doctors and have been sent to Mayo, all telling me I have RA symptoms, not allergy to titanium because it is virtually impossible.  Yesterday, I had implant removed, implant had not adhered to bone, which is conclusive that my body had rejected implant.  Does anyone know how long it takes for symptoms to improve after titanium is removed? I am searching for help and knowledge!! MJ
Please stay in touch with me...610-2798499  you can dial that.

I had my implant in Sept and have to make a decision to remove or keep.
Having pain in all my joints, ringing in ears...that we don't know if it is from asprin or
titanium.  I only tested miled allergy to titanium when Melissa did my blood test.

My removal will be a lot worse since the bone has already adhered to the implant.

I am near the Philadelphia area.  And have found a very qualified surgeon to remove
my implant.  He has done many of these, so he is not knew at it. And is able to talk
intelligently with you if you need advice on removal of implant.  So if there is anyone else out there who needs information on this I will help out with any information I can give you.

Was told by this surgeon that in the cases he has worked on 50% have improved.
He didn't mention a time line.  But I have heard of cases myself that the improvement happens relatively soon after removal.  

Good luck, looking forward to hearing that you are doing very well.  Please keep me posted.  Your information and results could help many of us out here deciding what steps to take next.

Maryann

I received your message.  I would definitely go through with the removal.  I am feeling about 30% better already, hard to measure, but it has only been one week.  My feet swelling is virtually gone, still have achy joints, not as severe.  I am looking forward to the next month, I have hope. I continue to research this mystery and wonder why so many medical professionals have been so difficult with this titanium allergy issue.  Keep in touch and good luck! MJO
Dear Maryann,

Thank you so much for the info you put here. I have same situation with you that I need to have my implant removed. The implant was put in one and half year ago, it intergrated well with bone, but I have been suffering so many dull pain, fatigue and other symptoms. I really want to know if the risk of damaging my two  neighboring teeth is high when the surgeon remove my implant. Any suggestions will help!

Grace
I just had 2 titanium implants put in on Friday (5/14/10) and saturday I came down with this fever that would just come and go all weekend.  It was strange because it could be 102.5 at 8pm and 95.5 an hour later, then back up again to 101.9.  I called oral surgeon and he felt it was an unrelated virus.  Over the course of the weekend, I got this terrible joint pain and extreme diarrhea.  Today I went to see my doctor and I was too dehydrated for the blood tests.  They told me to come back after drinking pedialyte and gatorade for 24hrs.  He told me that he didn't think this was an allergy to the titanium since there doesn't appear to be any kind of rash in the mouth.  I'm just scared that this is all related and they won't find out in time.  I have an allergy to metals found in cheap jewelry...never got tested, just broken out in rashes before.  I see a Rheumatologist for anemia and b12 shots.  Just don't know what i should do here.  would hate to let the implants fuse to the bone just to find out they were always to blame for making me sick.  Any advice/comments?
The oral surgeon kept saying "there is no scientific studies that have been done ..." when we talk about taking out the dental implants.  From what I have read on these multiple allergy to titanium posts -- regardless of dental, knee - it is clear most of us are suffering the same symptoms.  We all may not be in a clinical study - but hello doctors - we are getting together in this forum.
Hi, everyone. I am not sure if it is related, but here is my story.

I first got the first piece of the titanium implant in Mid 2005. The whole process installing the implant lasted about 1 yr. So, it's done in Mid 2006 and I got the implant on my right front tooth. Ever since it's done, I had had mild inflammation in front gum just above the crown. Talked to dentist but he only prescribed oral antibiotics but it didn't help. Then i thought it's no big deal and didn't pay attention to it. The gum color was just dark or at worst swelled sometimes.

Then I put on dental brace because I wanted to fix alignment of molar teeth behind. The dentist who put the dental brace said it won't interfere with the implant as he wouldn't apply force on the implant, so I agree to go through the procedure for 1yr+ (Nov 2007 - Feb 2009). The gum inflammation got worse so I decided to take out the dental brace and really get the gum problem solved. There seemed to be infection there (no lab test though), and there was a bone loss at the tooth pocket due to the chronic inflammation. The dentist who cured my gum injected antiseptic solution to clean it, and the gum is normal now. The implant is still well attached to remaining bone.

I remember having very mild joint pain at foot fingers or hand fingers, since the first piece was installed, but I thought it's unrelated - it was not like everyday pain.

Here comes the worst. In late Jun 2008 I had right ear cartilage inflammation. Been seeing 2-3 doctors. No doctor thought it's this rare auto-immune disease called Relapsing Polychondritis (RP), not until late Sep 2008. So, after the last ENT dr's diagnosis that I had RP, I was sent to Rheumatologist since then have been taking immunosuppressive drugs. Until now, I would have very little joint pain (but more painful than I first got the implant) everytime I work out. I lost my right ear cartilage.

The implant is still not removed as all doctors and dentists said similar things, "no scientific proof of relationship between the implant complication and auto-immune disease." But after seeing everyone story here, I am deciding to remove it again if it will help.

Here are my final thoughts:
- If I could choose what to do again, I would first do the MELISA test before getting the implant done.
- If the results show no allergy, I would go for the implant.
- After implant, observe my health carefully. If I have any bad symptoms like joint pain, etc, go for the allergic test again.
- If now my body rejects those material it didn't earlier, I would remove my implant and would not wait until my whole immune system gone crazy, and start attacking own body like cartilage in joints, etc. Some said once it's gone crazy, there is no return to normal. It's like having vaccine to change your immune system. I hope it's not true.

Sorry for a long post. But I hope my story will make everyone be more cautious about having this implant done.

Let's keep in touch,
**
Is a titanium/porcelan crown different from these implants you are talking about?
Similar story. I got implant on one of my front teeth placed about a month ago (8-15-2010,) still haven't received the crown. Ever since the operation I have had hives pop up randomly all over my body and itch like CRAZY for about 10-15minutes. My skin will get inflamed itches non-stop. Then 15 minutes later the itch is gone and its as if it never happened. It wakes me up in the middle of the night constantly and is driving me crazy. No matter how hard i try i cannot ignor it. I got my blood taken today for the MELISA test and will come back to this post with the results.

This has never happened to me before. At first I thought it was the penicillin but I have been off that for 3+weeks now. My oral surgeon said neither he nor any of his 3 partners in the practice have ever had an allergic reaction to the implants. The company that manufactures the implant I got is Nobel. Maybe people should start posting manufacturers names to see if there is any correlation. Ask your dentist.

Good Luck to everyone,

Jack
I too had a Titanium implant in June of 2010, ever since I suffered all the symptoms described above, joint pain, eczema, headaches, fatigue, etc... it was basically my immune system fighting itself.....I have never experienced any of these before and I am 50 years old.  I was tested for so many diseases including HIV and all came up Negative...  it took me two months to finally realize that these symptoms started after the implant.  no doctor or dentist or even the oral surgeon would believe me, saying it's very rare.  I had it removed two months ago and I am feeling 80% better except for some joint pain once in a while.  my doctor said that it may take 3 months or more to feel a 100%.

I hope this helps.

Good luck
Join the "titanium/vanadium/aluminum dental implant" thread.  It's an active group of people having trouble with titanium.
I got my implant removed and about 3-4weeks later my hives have almost completely gone away. At first they were still just as vexing, but after a few weeks i noticed them not popping up as often and that I was able to sleep through the night.

If you have the option, and went through as much discomfort as I did, I would highly recommend getting the implant removed.

Good Luck.

PS: MELISA test came up negative for metal allergies, but in the end the allergies started a few weeks after receiving the implant and were gone a month after removing the implant. Sometimes its better to listen to your body and not the "doctor." I was fortunate enough to have a very sympathetic Oral Surgeon.

Jack.
I had the MELISA test and tested positive to nickle and titanium DICHLORIDE but was negative to titanium DICHLORIDE and zirconia.  I would therefore like a dental implant that's T. Dichloride/ zirconium, but I hear that the latter cracks and breaks.  I just want my pretty smile back and don't want a bridge.  Any advice???!
sorry , I meant that I tested positive to titanium DICHLORIDE but was negative to titanium TRICHCLORIDE
I have found those blood tests are not very accurate. I didn't do the MELISA. I had it done at two companies in Colorado. The tests didn't match. A second test I had done at the same lab a year later didn't match the first one. No test showed that I was allergic to acrylic even though I know I am allergic to acrylic.
I developed several food allergies and candida about five months after my implant.  I am not sure if they are related.  I have changed my diet drastically. I cannot eat dairy, sugar or wheat.  I am now faced with loosing another tooth and I am not sure what to do.
Unfortunately the best way to test for allergies is by eliminating the suspected allergen. That would mean having your titanium implant out and seeing if you get better. You will probably have a hard time getting someone to do that. I had a hard time getting a dentist to remove my veneers when I was having an allergic reaction to the cement. Most said it wasn't possible and I didn't want to go through all that work.
I had three implants done last year.  Very painful.  A month ago, one
of them broke.  I mean it snapped right into and stuck inside my denture
plate.  I called my dentist. He met me early the next morning at his office.
He wants to leave the base of it in my bone.  Then he wants to put another one in my mouth.  Not sure I can go through the pain again.  But, after it broke, my mouth and area around my mouth got very chapped.  Then my nose broke out in bumps and scales.  Now, my chin is broke out.  Think I could be allergic to the titanium since it broke and it is getting into my system.  I am so tired all the time.  Don't have any energy.  Does anyone
have one that broke?
I have severe food allergies, lost 20 lbs. in a few months and had lots of yeast for the past few years. I have two titanium implants and had some old mercury amalgam fillings. I finally found out that I have mercury toxcity even though it didn't show up on tests 3 years ago. I am having chelation therapy done and have had 5 treatments so far and I feel, much, much better. Do you have any silver fillings in your mouth? This could be the problem. I highly recommend chelation therapy. Hope this helps.
I am joining the club as well. My implant is well integrated, however, so I am looking for the best surgeon out there and with experience, which seems rare. One honest dentist openly admitted he had done it only once. They all raise eyebrows for why I would remove it. Anyway.

If you can help me with advice on the best way to remove it (there are different approaches - trephine, electro, unscrew it if possible, etc.) and the right surgeon, that would be great. I live in Europe. You have already given me hope.
Did you get your hardware removed?  How are you?

I have had one implant since 2009 and nothing but weird symptoms since.  It is hard to find someone to remove a osseointegrated implant.
A very good supplement for Mercury is Modiflan, also anti cancer!

My whole family have been through the silver amalgum removal, and followed up with Modiflan. My eldest son just had hair test for metals done and before his amalgum removal he was about 1.3 units now he is down to 0.3 units, and actually all his toxic elements are now very low.

My wife we found out is titanium allergic,she has 2 titanium implants for her new teeth, now and has problems with her left hip joint and difficulty walking. She had gold bar on top of the titanium implants, which leads to problems of electrolysis between two different metals. so she replaced the gold bar with titanium, but her health no better! She is positive via Mellisa test to titanium!
Hi all,

I just wanna update my condition right now. My implant is made of titanium for the root and ceramic for the crown. It is still intact. There is no more problem but I still need to see a dentist for checkup and possibly gum cleaning every 3-4 months.

However, my auto-immune disease has not gone away. My rheumatologist prescribes low dose of steroid like 5-10 mg/week to keep the immune from further attacking my ear cartilage. Over the past few years, my blood tests show normal level of white blood cell count, but ESR is sometimes 8 which exceeds normal range of 1-7. The ear does feel warm once in a while which is a sign of little inflammation.

Since my disease condition is not severe, I decided not to remove the implant at the moment after consulting a few dentists. They said I would risk losing the remaining bone and gum around the implant in the removal process. Anyway, even if it's removed there's no way to ensure that it will help with my disease. So, all I'm doing is maintaining both my body and the implant.

Take care!
bjpjb
I want to share my personal story on here (and any other relevant sites) in the hopes that it will help others and prevent them from undergoing the 6 months of agony I suffered, that was completely preventable.
As a result of childhood cancer, I am missing 5 teeth on my bottom left side. Last year I had a bone marrow transplant into my jaw, to give me enough material for implants. They put two titanium posts into the bone, wrapped a palette graft over it, let it heal over the metal pieces, and a few months later added the other attachments that would eventually allow me to have false teeth popped on the top.
Last November they cut into the healed over tissue to put the little metal post attachments on top, that poked out of my gums (what the false teeth would be placed on). At first everything seemed fine, but I did have a constant ache in that area, which I dismissed as my body recovering from all the surgery.
I started having other health problems as well, including fatigue and headaches.
After having the outer posts on for a month and a half, I had severe pain at the implant site and developed what the oral surgeon diagnosed as an abscess. He performed surgery to remove it and put me on several rounds of antibiotics. It healed up, but only a few weeks later I had another "infection" on the other post. Looking into the mirror, I noticed that my cheek skin around the implants seemed to be "avoiding" contact with the metal--it was curved out in an exact replica of the shape of the posts.

I have always been allergic to nickel and brought the concern to my oral surgeon, who dismissed it. He said the posts were pure titanium and titanium allergies are incredibly rare and that he had never seen nor heard of when. And besides, my internal implants were made of the same material and didn't bother me. I told him that I am externally allergic to nickel--can't wear nickel earrings or belt buckles, but I have nickel in my heart to seal a hole, and it has never bothered me. Again, he didn't listen and suggested I wasn't keeping the surgical site clean enough.
So I had a second surgery and more antibiotics to get rid of the infection, but my mouth didn't seem to heal afterward. I was obsessive with keeping it clean but the pain continued.
I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, to the point of sleeping for 10 hours and still struggling to get through a work day, I felt like I was in a constant haze, had severe joint pain and muscle aches, a constant pain around the surgical site (that increased with time, to the point that I was taking Lortab on a daily basis, and constant headaches that would occasionally become migraines, as well as frequent nausea to the point of dry heaving on a daily basis.
My face was also swollen on the outside, where my implants were. The doctors were bewildered but still didn't listen to my concerns about metal allergies.
I got a third infection and the surgeon removed one of the posts, but it did not heal and the area around the remaining post became inflamed as well.
After the third infection, when I was in so much pain I could hardly speak, I conducted a time-consuming search for an allergist that would do a skin reaction test to metals. There is only one in the entire Salt Lake City valley and my insurance would not cover it, so I went the alternative medicine route and saw a naturopath. He did several tests on me, including one where I held two metal rods that send electrical waves through my body and picked up different imbalances (it was very efficient and cool!). It picked up a severe nickel allergy, as well as a sensitivity to bismuth and atrimony, two metals highly common in alloys.
I demanded my oral surgeon contact the post manufacturer and find out the exact composition of my posts. Lo and behold, they are not pure titanium (few posts actually are) and contained nickel, as well as bismuth. I went in for emergency surgery and he removed the last post. Waking up from the anesthesia, my first thought was "my headache is gone!"
That surgery was yesterday and even though I am still recovering from it, the swelling of my face is nearly gone, I can talk and smile normally, the joint pain is gone, the aches have vanished, the nausea is gone, the Chronic Fatigue is leaving me, and I generally feel like a haze has been lifted.
The difference has been immediate and incredible. All I can say is, follow your instincts and remember that doctors don't know everything-please investigate all possibilities, as unlikely as they may seem, and don't be afraid to try natural medicine--it tends to provide more answers and look into different bodily connections than traditional medicine.

Hi I just had implant surgery 10th Oct. I am having fever and severe diarrhea now. I read about your story. How are you now? What did you since then? Can you please advise and share us your experience ? MZ
I had veneers placed in 2009 and have been having problems ever since.  Unfortunately no one wants to believe me.  Where do i go for answers a dr? a dentist?
I had a Titanium implant on my elbow on 6-27-12 and have been sick eversince.  Rash around my neck/chest and chronic fatigue, food allergies. Drs are just now excepting that I might be allergic to the metals.  Going to have the Melisa test tomorrow.  I've every test that you can think of without results.  
What kind of problems? Mine started with a cottony sensation in my mouth - mainly on my tongue. I had plenty of saliva - dry mouth was not the problem. Over a period of a year it got worse to the point where my tongue was burning. At first the dentist didn't tell me anything about the cement having acrylic in it. Finally after I asked him point blank he admitted it had acrylic. He STILL denied that the acrylic could be causing the problem though. I couldn't get any other detists to take the veneers out either. I was finally able to get them removed after having them in for 2 years. I myself wrote to the maker of the cement - Kurrary- and they admitted that their veneer cement has caused allergic reactions. This was after a year with many dentists telling me that it was not possible. But now my tongue is still super sensitive and I still have problems. I have spent $20,000 getting crowns and bridges to replace the veneers. I also found out that lithium disilicate ceramics burn my tongue.

Find out what the ceramic and what the cement are. Write to the companies that made those products and ask if anyone has reported an adverse reaction. You can also look that up on the FDA MAUDE website.
I find it pretty odd that all of these people are having these same side effects and the only people saying there is no way it can be caused from the Titanium are the doctors on the site.  Imagine that....
I had have dull headaches in one of my crowned tooth for at least 2 years. Tired of the pain and headaches and I removed and have titanium implant installed about a month ago.
My headaches got even worse and have inflammation on my adjacent tooth.

I asked my periodentist if it's possible that I am allergic to the post metal. He said it's impossible...
He is the one who said my dull pain would be taken care of 100% if I do implant. Human nature is...if you are ignorant about something, you dismiss it and tend to ignore.
I am tired of arguing with my dentists and doctors. I know something is wrong after the metal post and I am planning to do Melisa test next week. Just need to find out where I need to go to do the test.

There is no official implant failure case due to "allergic reaction to metals"??? Really?
I had to have blood drawn at hospital and then they had to send it in the box and with paperwork that Melissa test site had given me.  I was never allowed to have the blood in my possession.  

Please read the titanium forum that explains what we have all been going through.  I had to have the test done, but many people do not have to go through that expense now that they have the web site to confirm that their illness from titanium is real.  some people also react the nickel.

Here is to better days, once you get this taken care of.

Serbin
This is not dental implant related but I wanted to post in this forum just in case:  my dad has been sick since he had a back operation on April 11. They inserted a device called a "Coflex" into his low spine instead of doing a fusion. He has run fevers every month since he had that titanium put in his body. He has severe cold chills (looks like he's convulsing) and his fever gets up to 103 sometimes. This cycle does pass but he still is not himself after. His body is being attacked by something. He gets a rash on his face, flaky skin on his face, runny nose and severe dizziness before these attacks. He is hospitalized and released once fevers go away. This has been happening every month since April. They have run so many tests. Bone scan, MRI's, Bone marrow biopsy, x-rays, blood work etc. All negative. There is no infection in his body. I have felt like this titanium Coflex thing has been the culprit all along. Hard to get doctors to take that seriously because NO NONE is allergic to titanium or titanium alloys. We have finally succeeded in sending a blood sample to a private lab in New Jersey for Melisa testing (metal sensitivity/allergy) and are waiting on the results.
hi there did you get someone to remove your implant?

Just want to share that I had my implant removed! Will write again later to share if any of the weird symptoms have disappeared.

I used to be a healthy, energetic, brave, and stress-resistant person 4 years ago, when I got the dental implant.

Symptoms started six months later and progressed, including excessive fatigue, brain fog, anxiety, cholesterol, indigestion, depression. It got so bad, that I spend many days in bed and kissed goodbye plenty of opportunities and ambitions.

I really hope that the removal will alleviate some of these and will keep you posted. Good luck removing the implants!

I had my Titaniums removed on October 24, 2013. I had three of them. I had them inserted in July, 2012. Three months latter I started having symptoms similar to yours: Brian Fog, Anxiety, Feeling disconnected from the world, Inability to focus or remember anything.
So, I decided to have them removed. It's been three weeks now but I cannot say I feel a difference.
I am happy I had them out and do not regret doing that. I just was expecting for symptom to have started disappearing right away.
How are you feeling? Any improvement at all?
I had my implant done in August 2013. After one week, my problems started with ear infection, imbalance, mild headache and  muscle weakness. I am 55  yrs old and considered healthy before. I had an MRI and found new lesions like in MS patients. Had no family history and no other evidence for MS.  The dentist I talked about this don't think it is from the implant. I haven't tested for titanium allergy. I just saw this site.
Don't know what to do.

Gm_ny2013
I had my implant on Aug. 2013. I started seeing allergy problems about Oct. with swelling and redness of my eyes ! rash and itch. my mouth is rough on both lip sides. am 40 years and didn't have some thing like that before ! I had 2 surgeries before , 2009, and there was no problems like what I have now.
Yes, I would like the name of your surgeon who took out your dental implant. I developed ringing in my ears, tinnitus, about 3 weeks after my surgery. Now, 6 weeks after having the titanium dental implant put in the ringing is non-stop. I think I need to have the implant out. I don't want more problems later. I don't want to live with tinnitus if I don't have to. Nightmare.
Please note that doctors all say not related to implant and coincidental, same as what my surgeon told me when I developed tinnitus 3 weeks after the implant. 7 weeks after the implant I have now developed joint pain in my hips in addition to tinnitus. Everyone needs to report their symptoms to the FDA, otherwise this is brushed aside. I expect to have my one implant removed. I can use a flipper, better than creating serious health issues over a missing tooth.

Also, see the research that fluoride corrodes titanium. Plenty of research on this.