Allergy Community
Urticaria (hives) & pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Urticaria (hives) & pregnancy

I am 12 weeks pregnant and for the last couple of days have had hives (cold urticaria I think it is called). I recognise it because the rash and feeling is exactly as it was when I was started taking the contraceptive pill twelve years ago. I stopped taking the pill once I'd realised it was this that was causing the hives all over my body. Now I am concerned that my pregnancy hives is caused by one of the natural hormones oestrogen or progesterone as the levels of these increase during pregnancy I have been told. I think these hormones are also in the contraceptive pill.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I am concerned it will get worse as the hormone levels increase. Currently it is only on my hands but when I developed it before it spread all over my body particularly my thighs but also my face and chest and my hands and feet were swollen and numb.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

A proepr clinical examination would be required before anything can be said with certainty. It would be best to consult your physician or allergy specialsit about your symptoms.

Do not worry about it spreading and worsening right now. Just think about getting a physician opinion and then starting the appropriate treatment at the earliest.

Let us know what the doctor advises and also keep us posted on how you are doing.

Applying calamine lotion on the lesions should help to soothe them.

Let us know if you have any doubts.

Regards.
I too am pregnant with hives.  I have had chronic hives way before I even got pregnant.  They have been dormant for almost 6 years until now.  I am so miserable.  The only thing I can take is zyrtec and benadryl which don't offer much relief.  I am only 5 weeks and I am miserable and on the verge of losing my mind.  The chances of me having hives for the remainder of my pregnancy is high.  I try my very best to deal with the discomfort by using gentle soaps, taking cool baths with oatmeal, and using a lot of hydrocortisone creams.  Good luck!  Always remember that there is someone else out there going through it too.  You're not the only one!  

Tamara
Hi mrspotter,

How are you doing? Have you been to the doctor and got yourself examined?

Do keep us posted on how you are doing and if there is any exacerberation/ relief in your symptoms.

Best regards.

hello...its been a bit of relief to read all your comments here.im in my 28 weeks of pregnancy & having this itchy patchy rashes in my thighs now made u my mind i have hives too...its too itchy,sometimes its so unbearable.i applied caladryl on it & my doctor said its okay but sometimes i feel so desperate just by looking at it...i tried starch bath also & it eases itchiness a bit bt no other solutions really help.Now for fast few days,it started to dry but more itchy at night but still i continue to apply the cream.is it normal for it to dry? pls advise.i worried it might affect my baby. worried mother to be

Some itching and skin lesions are known to occur in pregnancy. Do you have a past history of allergic reactions?

In all such cases, it is advisable to let your OBG know about your symptoms and also let her have a look at the lesions. The further plan of management can then be decided - about whether an allergy specialist needs to be consulted and whether the relevant investigations that need to be done. The treatment can then be decided after a confirmed diagnosis.

It can only be said after a look at the lesions whether the drying process is normal or not. Also, talk to your doctor about whether it is infective or not and if it could affect your baby or not.

Let us know if you have any more doubts and also let us know what your doctor advises.

Keep us posted about how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
i have past allergic reactions but only on certain foods & maybe bec of milk also  bec i dont drink milk b4 but now i have to drink for my baby & my mom said when she was pregnant with me before,she has allergies also.i look into internet abt hives & the images is the same that i have.i spoke to my doctor abt this & she said to continue applying the caladryl lotion as i told her i have doubts taking oral medication as im afraid it might affect my baby.right now as it is drying i can notice that before it was really defined like swollen now it started to settle down as it is drying.i have my monthly check up tomorrow i will show my doctor & tell her again abt this.thank you i will keep you posted.

The fact that you have had allergies before and that your mom had them too when she was pregnant is significant. It would be best if you dont forget to tell your doctor about this on your visit.

Keep us posted on your health and let us know if you have any other queries.

Regards.
hello..

i went to my OBG today & told her abt my complains,she checked & she prescribe me Virlix just for itchiness as she said this is urticaria.I told her i am hesitant in taking oral medicine as im afraid it might affect my baby but she said it's okay.do u think its is safe?I know my doctor will not give me anything that could harm me & my baby but just being cusious abt it.

An OBG specialist of all the doctors on board would take special care in prescribing medication which are safe during pregnancy and cause no untoward effects on the baby.

Virlix is cetrizine and you can take it for your symptoms. You should in addition, follow up with your doctor regularly and get all routine investigations done as and when required.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
thank you for prompt reply.its good t& a relief to know that it is okay.My OBG told me to follow up with her anytime & told me to take only when itching is too much.Im going to take it but i will not apply my topical creams so as to know if it has effect on my itching.thank you so much.i will keep you posted.

Glad the post was of help to you.

Let us know if you have any doubts and also keep us posted about how you are doing.

Best regards.

I don't have a history of allergy reactions only the contraceptive pill does this to me! I told my midwife and she said it made sense as the hormones (oestrogen or progesterone) are in the pill and are now at higher levels in my body. I have read about a condition called PUPPP (Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy) that is more common in the third trimester of pregnancy but not this early (I am now 16.5 weeks and have had since 11 weeks).

I would like to ask other women with this problem if they took the contraceptive pill before pregnancy as this was the only time that I had this problem previously?

Unfortunately from reading articles in medical journals I don't think there is much we can do but apply creams and lotions and staying warm and applying layers of clothes (it gets worse in the cold I find). I persoanlly don't want to take any allergy pills as they could harm the baby.

Have you seen an OBG specialist as yet?

You can take cetrizine for your symptoms. You should in addition, follow up with your doctor regularly and get all routine investigations done as and when required.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
ok i am 9 weeks pregnant and never had an allerigc reaction to anything..And i am covered from head to toe in hives.. my hands are swollen and my feet.  i have ben in the hospitial for two days and they gave me the lowest dose of steriods as prescribed from my obg.  Theres really nothing they can do...They only thing i hope is i dont have this through my WHOLE prenancey

How are you doing now? Hope you are now symptomatically better.

Have you been discharged from the hospital?

You should keep cetrizine at hand and apply calamine lotion at the sites of the lesions.

Do follow up with your OBG regularly

Let us know about any doubts that you have and if you need any other information.

Regards.
hello everyone,

sorry to put a downer on everything but i to suffered from PUPPS in my last pregnancy it started around 13weeks and continued up untill i gave birth,it got so bad that my doctors where willing to induce me a week early as i wasnt sleeping and was depressed and couldnt go out as the only way to soothe it was to lie in a cool bath (i lived in the bath day and night),it was hell but the good news is i felt instant relief as soon as i had given birth.Its hard but it waont last forever.
I am 33 weeks pregnant. I tried Xyzal, Benadryl, Zyrtec and Claritin for hives...I was so miserable..... BUT Tagamet, 400 mg 4 times a day worked! I cannot believe it. I know it is for heartburn or something but it is a histamine blocker like the other medications but it is slightly different. I suffered in agony for 4 weeks. I am still a little itchy but once I take a Tagamet, I am fine again!! THANK GOD!! It saved my life!
Tagamet is a Category B drug... so do not worry about the baby..... it is safe.. go to safefetus.com for any drug you want to check..
On the hives, I broke out (for the first time in my life) when I was 7 wks along.  They ended up treating me w/an IV of prednazone & then for a solid week w/prednazone & triple doses of Bendadryl.  It worked-they never came back.  I'm now 29 wks. w/my second & am covered in hives again.  Nothing relieved it before until the treatments (which my child turned out fine) so now I'm starting all over again.  They're miserable.  It was nice to see all of the postings.  The docs don't jump to the above treatments so maybe I'll try theTagamet.   Good luck.
I was given a prescription for 400mg of Tagamet 4 times a day. Then I took 50 mg of Benadryl at night. Hope it helps.
I'm 5 weeks and suffering terribly with hives.  Are the meds you mentioned ok even in the first trimester?
After never having hives before in my life I was alarmed when I broke out in them at 4 weeks preg.  (hives everywhere but my face- the week before knowing I was preg. for sure).  I covered myself in 1/2% cortisone and took benedryl.  Now at 28 weeks I am dealing with these hives again.  Itch-hurt-Itch-swollen-red...horrible!  The only thing worse than having hives is having hives on tight, already itchy, stretched out skin!  
I spoke to a few doctors the first ob in my practice that saw the hives said probably came in contact with something in the environment- Probably not from the Glucose test I took the day before.  Spoke to another ob on the phone who said the yes, probably a reaction to the glucose drink itself- it is the only change in my diet that day.  Spoke to my first born's pediatrician- she felt in agreement with the other two docs that the reaction could be to anything including the glucose drink and there would be no harm to baby by taking benedryl- so when I have help with my daughter so that I can sleep that is what I take.  Benedryl helps a lot.  Once it wears off I am back to the drawing board.  I looked at safefetus.com and cannot find cetrizine.  Does it go by any other name?  Willing to try anything that won't hurt baby.
Try my combo the dr. recommended of benadryl and Tagamet. The exact amount is in an earlier post on 10/6. Hives may also be from a hormonal shift that occurs at the end of the 2nd and beginning of 3rd trimester. My hives were horrible. Cetrizine is Zyrtec which did little to help me. I also tried Xyzal. Like I said, the only thing that worked was the benadryl and a prescription-strength Tagamet. Tagamet is for stomach problems but it is an H2 blocker which is a different type of histamine blocker than benadryl, that way you are attacking it in 2 ways.
Like some kind of miracle- the hives have passed.  By yesterday afternoon the hives died down.  It was a three day nightmare of rash and itchiness that I thought was never going to end.  I am so fearful that it will come back.  I really hope not though.  If it does I will go straight to your advice.  Thank you for your response.  
Hi again... still waiting for a response from anyone who knows.  Benedryl is safe even during 1st trimester?  The hives are going from bad to worse.  I woke up yesterday with the entire right side of my face swollen from them, including an eye swollen shut.  I've been taking 25mg of Benedryl, but I find if I try to skip even 1 day I have a horrible flare up.  I'm waiting to see the Ob/Gyne, but can't get in until Dec. 10.  I'm worried this is too much exposure to Benedryl.
yes, benadryl is fine. my obgyn let me take it in the 1st trimester. is is a category b drug... go to safe fetus.com..do not take any meds with a D after it....such as sudafed-D... you can't take pseuodephedrine
I have been having hives for about a month now.  I just found out I am pregnant today.  I had hives once several years ago but don't know what from.  I am not allergic to anything that I know of.  I am miserable.  i have been taking Xyzal for the past three weeks.  I will not take it anymore till I see my OB.  Did anyone find any wonderful cures since these last posts?  
Hi i am chronic urticaria patient & i want to be pregnant but i am worried about medicines is it ok for my baby? 7 years before i feel itching,hives& rash,on my back, doctor said that it is chronic problem & u should take ZENON CETIRIZINE HYDROCHLODRIDE tab. & Levasol-m tab., i take this tab.but i m not feeling so well, give me some advise plese.  
first i will tell you to go to this website i found www.itchymoms.com
just so you are aware of ICP - a liver disorder.
i had horrible Urticaria in the past brought on by what i believe were too many mosquito bites...i was put throught the RINGER with doctors that tested me for EVERYTHING - all allergies, disorders, even lupus and they found nothing. they just kept me on antihistamines and oral corticsteroids for 7 months (against their better judgement) but it was the only thing that gave me temporary relief and kept the horrible giant excrutiating rash from spreading like wildfire..
AT LAST I FOUND A CURE!!! out of desperation to try anything i went to a Chines herbalist and he told me i had too much acid in my system  recommended foods to avoid (red meat, shellfish, seafood, wine, chocolate) and then gave me a 2 week supply of herbs that i boiled into a tea every night - by night 3 i had real relief and then slowly went off the steroids and never got the hives back!!! until now. i am 21 weeks pregnant and itching like crazy, i am going to my Chinese doctor today as i don't want to go through a battery of tests and be put on dangerous medications - i have not had so much as a 2 Tylenol this entire pregnancy so believe me when i say i am cautious about anything i ingest. try to find a reputable chinese doctor that really knows his herbs and i guarantee you will find relief.
good luck and hang in there i know it is MADDENING
tara
i stand corrected i just wrote in about the Chinese doctor and how he would save us all and i just returned from my appt and he won't give me herbs!!! now i am doomed!
he said to avoid spicy and hot foods, red meat, shellfish, seafood and take epson salt baths, slather on the aloe vera and aveeno. ugh. i hope all this works.
oh and he said to cut back on the prenatal vitamins! that the vitamin B and C generate acid and you want to be more alkaline.
that's the best i can do
tara
Hi, I am 7weeks pregnant and broke out into hives a couple of weeks back.I have been put on alaspan and perimone. I stopped taking them in between due to fear that too much medication might be harmful for the baby. Have no history of allergies. Please advise if the above medication is ok.

Punam10
alaspan, i think is a form of loratidine (any antihistamine). That is a cat b drug and considered safe. Not sure about the other.. is that the correct spelling? just checking

cat b means
    * Controlled studies done on animals in reproduction do not indicate risk to the fetus.
    * No adequate and well-controlled studies done on pregnant women.
Hi, I am 4 week pg and also have allergies. I do not have hives but I get what I would call dermatides on my face (super itchy, red dry skin) and I wake up with puffy itchy eyelids. I also like you have only experienced this while I was on pill and in my last pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage. I am convinced that I am allergic to certain hormones. Of course my doctor acted like I was crazy and dismissed it as seasonal or food allergies. I even went back on the pill to test if that was what it was sure enough within a week the allergies were back and the second I stopped taking it they were gone again. So this pregnancy I knew I was pregnant before I could take a test because the same allergies came back. I just wanted to write to let you know there is someone else out there having the same problem.I have researched this so much on the internet and haven't found anyone with the pill/pregnancy allergies. I am also just freaking out this could some how effect my pregnancy, afraid that my hormones are out of whack.
Best of luck!!

I'm currently 4 weeks pregnant and at 2 weeks I began having hives. They started on my back and worked it's way down. I now get them everywhere but have found they are worse in the early morning and then evening. I have solar urticaria and have always been prone to weird skin related allergies/rashes. I broke out in hives immmediately after my 1st son was born, so I'm fairly used to them, although it doesn't remove the discomfort/itchy factor.

These hives look different than other I've had. They are puffy thin lines everywhere and then some usual circular ones here and there. Does anyone else's look like this and if you started this early in your pregnancy when did they subside? The tohught of going through another 9 mos of this is somewhat unbearable!

Also, I'm on epeilepsy medication which I don't believe to be related at all (nor does my ob or neurologist). If anyone could shed some light on their duration of hives and if there's been a true concern about its effect on baby, I'd love to know.

Thanks,
cvm78

hi everybody!!!
wow I finally found people like me, I was thinking that I was very sick or something, I am pregnant 8 wks and had hives for 4 wks now!!! they come and go they attack me on my legs , arms and thigts , I being to 4 doctors even aa Dermatologist, he said I should not take Benadryl because is class B meaning is only being tried in animals, not humans, so is a risk!
I was schocked cause 2 DR advise me before to take it!!! and he said do you know what class B  means? means that is being only tried in pregnan animals.
Anyways I have to live with the itching, another Dr that I work with (I am a nurse)  told me I may be allergic to Estrogens levels going up, who knows, now I being told by my OB Dr my ANA test is high, I pray every day for the baby to be ok!!!
Has anyone with chronic hives (but were totally under control with medication) have hives come back as early as the day they ovulated and became pregnant??
Just to say thank you so much for your post I am so glad that I am not the only one who is allergic to the pill and I completely understand what you are saying about your doc looking at you like you are crazy. I first had hives from the pill when I was 19 and I tried four different ones and all gave me the hives. As soon as I came off them the hives stopped. All the doctors I spoke to didn't seem to believe me or thought it was something else. It is definitely the pill that caused it but it must be very rare. On the positive I had a baby boy in Sept 2008 and my pregnancy wasn't that bad. My advice would be to plan as best as possible to be pregnant in the summer although obviously it isn't that easy to plan this but I am sure that is why my hives wasn't too bad as in the colder months it was awful but then it calmed down as it got warmer and only on colder days did it flare up again. It didn't affect my baby at all, well not that I am aware of. Good luck with your pregnancy!!!
I was so glad to find this web sight and to read your stories! I started off three days ago with itchy soles on the bottom of my feet and palms of my hands. The itchiness has gotten worse everyday along with the swelling, whelps and hives. This morning I went to the ED because my hands and feet were swelling so bad and I have  now developed whelps and hives on the bottoms of my feet, upper thighs, scalp or anywhere that I scratch.The hives were so large on my feet that I could barley walk.

There is a strong possibility that I am pregnant, but it is too early to detect on a home pregnancy test. I called my OBGYN and she thinks I am nuts (thinking this could be related to pregnancy). I didn't even mention this to the ED doctor because I didn't want him to think I had lost my mind either.

I have NEVER been allergic to anything in my life. Nothing that I am doing is different. I am not eating any different foods, not using different laundry detergent, not taking any new medications, etc...Other than possibly being pregnant, I am at a loss (I did not have this with my first pregnancy). After reading several of your entries I am thinking that I might could be on the right track and that maybe this condition is due to increasing level of hormones.

Would anyone else agree with me in that it is possible for me to have broken out in these hives PRIOR to knowing for sure if I was pregnant?

To top this off, I am a nurse. So, naturally I am trying to diagnose myself. I feel quite stupid in my rationale, but something is telling me this can really be related to a possible pregnancy. If I could just connect the dots and find the cause. I don't think I can do a home pregnancy test for a least two more days. I may be dead by then if I don't get this itching under control.

Your response would be greatly appreciated!
I had sent a post last week that I had broken out in hives and whelps all over my body and that the only rationale that I could think of was that I could possibly be pregnant. As of today, I am 5 weeks!! I wanted to give an update so that if  there are any other women out there who are suffering miserably with itchy, whelpy hives and you think it could be related to pregnancy, you could be right on track!

Even if your doctor thinks you are "nuts" for your rationale, go with your "gut feeling." You know your body better than anyone!

I am taking Tagamet and Zyrtec and it has really helped with the itching. I still break out in hives and itch, but the discomfort is controllable.  From what everyone else has said and from what I have read, there is a strong possibility that this could last the entire pregnancy. The end result will be worth it! I just hope there is a plentiful supply of Tagamet available!

Best Wishes!
has anyone ever had to take piriton through out their whole pregnancy?
I am 28 weeks pregant and have had hives fro the past 4 weeks and they dont look to be going away any time soon.  I had hives about three years ago (never figured out what triggered it) that lasted for three months.  This time, the first two weeks were absolutely terrible: i was crying every night because of the pain and couldnt sleep (they're always far worse at night). The only relief was cold showers and my husband putting pressure on my skin, but honestly nothing really made it better.  I went to the doctor and he prescribed anti histamines and it's been a lot better. I still get hives (mainly in afternoon/ night), but they're more manageable.  i was nervous about taking antihistamines because of hurting the baby, but i really cant live without them and I cant spend the next three months permanently in a cold shower.  I've also been doing reiki and yoga and trying to relax as much as possible.  It's so frustrating, looks ugly, hurts and is very draining.  
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations too!!
There are some rashes associated with pregnancy like Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP), Prurigo of pregnancy, Pruritic folliculitis of pregnancy, and Pemphigoid gestationis. PUPPP is the most common, however it is seen more on stretch marks and usually during the third trimester. If you have gained a lot of weight during your pregnancy then this is a possibility. Prurigo of pregnancy is a similar condition. These conditions are harmless both for mother and baby. Steroid creams & ointments, moisturizing creams, wet soaks, calamine lotions are usually enough to control both.  Pemphigoid gestationis is an autoimmune rash, disappears with end of pregnancy, may flare up just before delivery, and can affect the baby. This needs to be diagnosed early for proper care during pregnancy. Consult your gynecologist once regarding this.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I am 5 weeks pregnant and have had hives all over my arms for a week. Putting an ice pack on my arms and then putting 1% hydrocortizone cream has helped with the itching. I am also going insane, though. I'm supposed to wait a few days before calling the doctor again. ARGH... it is hard to bear!!!

Someone told me that hives in early pregnancy means you are having a girl and hives in later pregnancy means you are having a boy. Has anyone else that? It is probably just a wives tale, but I thought I'd check and see if any of you have heard of it. If it is true, do you know why?

I have had urticaria for 3 years now and I am 6 weeks pregnant.  I used to take reactine 20 and singulair nightly to keep the hives under control and added benadryl liquid gels when they were really bad.  We got married in august and I stopped taking the reactine and the benadryl because we were trying to get pregnant.  The hives are back so bad I ended up in the ER with my throat almost swelling shut.  I took benadryl for a couple of days to keep the swelling under control and now I am back to just singulair in the evening.  I am so paranoid about what this medicine is doing to my baby it is all I can think of.  If anybody that has had the hives and has had a healthy baby could drop a note here I would appreciate it.  
Hello and thank you for sharing  your situation.  I too am allergic to the pill.  Both Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and Yasmine caused me to break out in hives, I also suffered from fairly severe edema.  My doctors couldn't believe it was the pill.  Before taking me off of it they tested me for everything from Rheumatoid Arthritis to Lyme Disease. Finally, with no other ideas, they had me stop taking the pill.  Immediately upon quitting the pill, my symptoms faded and I had no issues from that point forward.  All of the medical professionals I tell find it strange and hard to believe that I would have such a reaction to the pill.  

Now, I am 9 weeks pregnant and I have been experiencing the same type of hive breakouts I had while on the pill.  I just realized what was happening, so I'll be calling my OB tomorrow.  I'm very disconcerted by the situation.  I'd searched the Internet before and I didn't find anything regarding hives from the hormones in the pill.  It is only now while searching for hives and pregnancy that I ran across this thread.  This allergy certainly seems to be uncommon.  I do also suffer from cold urticaria (which is when you get hives from cold temperatures).  Did your symptoms abate during pregnancy or did you have hives the entire time?

Thank you,
db
I became pregnant in 1997 with my son,2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant I developed hives,bad I might add.I took benadryl throughout my whole pregnancy,and I even had hives for 8 months following my delivery,my doctor told me that it was possible that I could be allergic to male hormone,I had a boy,I already had a girl with no problems so he assumed that could be it,my son also was born with it,for about 2 days and then it went away.I want to tell everyone that I woulden't suggest taking benadryl if you can help it because although not proven my son now has epilepsy and a learning disability,when he was an infant it started with staring blankly and vomitting,I put 2 and 2 together and wish I had never have taken it.I had the health organization call me every week after I gave birth to see if there were any side effects with my son for taking benadryl because at that time they had no recorded side effects for pregnant women taking it,I felt like I was a guinea pig and my son paid the ultimate price,I feel guilty and if given the opportunity again I would never have taken it,if you can,look for something more natural.Good luck I know how horrible it is!
Wow, I cannot believe how many women are having this issue.

I too have never had allergic reactions quite like I have recently.  Let me give you some history.  I've already had 4 term pregnancies and have NEVER broken out before in my life to anything other than nickel (and even then it was SO minor and SO easy to avoid).  

About 4 weeks ago (I'm about 15 weeks pregnant now), I started breaking out severely to... SOMETHING.  NO one will diagnose me because I'm pregnant.  They just say to avoid whatever it is I think that's causing me to break out.  

Ridiculous!  So at first I thought it was legumes (because my previous son had a sensitivty to it when he was an infant and it wasn't until my lactation consultant found it that it was caught - he was 4 months old by then!).  So I cut all legumes from my diet to find that I'd still break out.  Then my mom came up with the idea that it might be be gluten.  My thoughts were... "That would really stink!"  But I took her advice and cut out gluten.  And sure enough, I haven't broken out since.

The diet absolutely stinks... but ya know.. at least I'm not itching all night long and losing sleep!  I still intend to see a naturpathic doctor tomorrow to see if they have any input, but really... it seems as though when you're pregnant, you're on your own.  I won't take medication my whole pregnancy.  It was a life-saver (literally) though the few times I did.  I had to go to the ER because my throat was closing up on me one night.  

So that's my input.  I think it's ridiculous though that doctors just won't diagnose a pregnant woman because... she's pregnant!  It's stupid.  I'm not potting soil, I'm still human!  Get to the root of the issue!  (no pun intended btw!)  
I am 30 yrs old and I have been suffering from chronic hives for a year and a half.  If I am not on my medication I suffer from hives head to toe swelling of my hands and feet.  At times I am unreconizable as my face, lips and eyes swell.  On top of it I am unable to eat as I can not digest my food and it is very, very painfull, if I do and usually bring it back up.
I am concerend because I want to have another child and have been doing research about the Atarax I am on, I take between 1 to 4  
50 mg per day.  Some days I take none but then pay for it in the long run.  
I guess my question is, is there anything other than this strong medication I can take to prepare myself for pregnacy.  Something Natural would be preferred.

Having unknow reasons for these Chronic hives is very fustrating and even more so now to think they may stop me from having other children.
~Melodie
I am about 4-5 weeks pregnant. This is my 9th pregnancy. Never before have I had a reaction like this. Yesterday I started itching on my back then it moved to my face and neck. It just kept getting worse and I get hives shortly after the itching starts. It was night time so I couldn't go get any Benadryl. I get relief but when it wears off it just comes back. I didn't get any sleep! I can not go on the entire pregnancy like this. I have 7 kids with the youngest being 8 months old. I need my sleep!
hi everyone.....i am 5 weeks pregnent and i do have allergy history since past 4 years..it normally appears at the begning of summer and stays till 2 or 3 months..i use to take steriods because my face or any place where i got those rashes stars deforming....but now i have them since 10 days and im affraid to take any medicen because i've been trying to concived past 2 years and now i became pregnant but these rashes are so unbearable....im only putting calamine on them but it works for an hour or so.......plz help if anyone could do
i didnt think so many people had this.im 5 weeks pregnant i cant sleep am worried sick about this. is there any natural remedies please help me i cant take much more of this its spreading up towards my face now help
This is tara from Mumbai .. I've have a history of urticaria and i din take any medication for that. It comes and goes...once in a while i take avil when its severe..
and then when i was married he insisted to look for a solution .. and then we found out there is no permanent cure for this in allopathy..
so we went to a homeopathic doctor .. and after taking those medicines it has reduced a lot .. this again is a long term medication without any side effects ..
    Now i'm 11 weeks and i'm still taking these medicines .. its safe for the foetus ..
http://urticaria.com

hope this  helps
with regards
   Tara
Hi girls,
I am a 26 yr old who is looking to get pregnant in about 4 months and i have chronic hives, ive had them for about 4 or 5 years, but they never used to bother me much because it would only be the odd two or three mosquito bite size hives, although about 18 months ago they suddenly got heaps worse, covering my  upper arms, chest and face cheeks. I see an immunologist every 3 months who helped me get a combination of antihistamines that would keep the hives at bay. They are still there though. Anyway, because i want to get pregnant next year, and i dont want to take any drugs during my pregnancy is possible, i needed an action plan to get rid of these hives! So i found this blog which has really helped me. I started taking 3 zantacs (Ranitidine) which is for stomach acid/ulcers instead of the occasional 1, im having 1 or 2 zyrtecs (Cetirizine) and telfasts (fexofenadine), and now i have added having the cough syrup version of benadrl (Diphenhydramine 50mg) at night, because of this blog. But after this story, the thing i wanted to share is that i bought two antihistamine nasal sprays (Triamcinolone acetonide)&(Azelastine hydrochloride/Sodium Chloride), and sprayed and rubbed these into my skin where im effected by the hives, after doing this for 3 days i have noticed a dramatic reduction! in fact i have not had any new hives come up at all. And i would say that putting the spray on your skin would be alot safer than taking pills during pregnancy. Worth a try anyway! I am hopefull that i can get my hives knocked on the head before i get pregnant. Good luck to you all!
Rachelle xxx
I too am looking to get pregnant in the next 4-6 months.  I have had trouble with hives from time to time for about 15 years.  However it seems like some of the hives in this discussion are on the surface, referred to as lesions.  Mine are itchy on the surface but they swell tremendously.  For example one may start on my hip the size of an m&m and then end up wrapping half way around my body.  They are hot to the touch and ache.  There is not open wound however & it feels as though they also swell on the inside. Anyway, in the past when I have had a severe occurrence, I would visit the ER and they would give me prednisone, a steroid/miracle that worked like a charm.  BC my only known allergy is red dye, I cannot take non-drowsy benedryl, only the clear liquid gels that put me into a coma.  The prednisone is the only thing that helps my body combat these reactions.  Naturally I imagine this isn’t safe while pregnant, and the above comments have provided me comfort that I am not along, I just want to figure out if mine hives are like all of yours.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
i am 21 weeks pregnant and from around 6 weeks I have had 2 large hives on both of my breasts.  As soon as I hit 19 weeks, they spread like wild fire all over my abdomen.  These ones are not only extremely itchy, but they burn as well.  I had a severe case of hives 7 years ago and no one was able to figure out why.  Then I developed a small hive on my upper back for several months this past winter.  The hives I have right now are maddening! I don't know what to do! They wake me up at night, and I'm itchy all day.  I'm so scared that they are going to last the entire length of my pregnancy.  I have an appt. with my dr. tomorrow, and now I'm nervous that there is not much I am going to be able to do! :(
OMGoodness, I thought I wasseriously alone, LOL.  This is the most annoying thing in the world.  It's like I have constant poison Ivy, hehe....  I started at 12 weeks, it subsided at 25 and now it's back with full force.  Now I have been told that it is a DNA thing.  Your body reacting to the DNA of a boy......  How many of you had BOYS????  I don't know the sex, and was wondering that maybe that is why my hormones are flaring up, and creating these hives......  

Cold Lake, Canada
Ha,

Pretty much thought I was the only one in the world to have chronic hives before pregnancy. They've been dormant for almost 10 years, and a "trigger" was never really found for them. Good knews is they're back with a vengence at 12 weeks pregnant!....Nothin' we can do. Just suffer....
Ha,

Hi. I am 16 weeks pregnant and have had recurring hives on my legs since i 6 weeks.Been to 3 doctors and each have told me a different reason.One being an allergic reaction to something iv eaten,one being insect bites and the third down to washing powder or bath or shower gel.All i really want to know is to anyone that has had recurring hives during pregnancy is there any chance that it could be an internal reason that may harm the baby or indicating that something is wrong.Its my second pregnancy and I never had this problem during my first.

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and my rashes started 5 days ago with just small red spots and then it bacame red rashes. My doctor said I had delayed reaction with ampicillin which I'm done taking 10 days ago. The only different thing is my rashes are not itchy! I never had this before and my doctor just prescribe me benadryl and try to refer a dermatologist. I took benedryl 2x but then, I'm not sure it might have a bad effect on my baby so I stopped it. I just  do oatmeal baths and maximize my vitC intake. So far, my skin is calming down, but still have red rashes on my legs and arms. I hope there are more natural remedies around so I don't want to depend on drugs that might hurt my baby.