Allergy Community
Violent, uncontrollable sneezing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Viewing 201-203 comments:
I agree.  In England it is twice as bad, because the NHS is a pile of donkey doo.  I called to book an appointment and they said it seems like this was something the doctor could deal with over the phone!   I have no one to turn to.  I am not happy you people hear suffer the same fate I do, but it is good to know I am not the only one.  Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.  
With mine I don't think the weather changes effect me. It has to either be dust or cats, but neither one constantly makes me sneeze all day, so I am at a loss.
Thank you for the best post on this page! The "bidee" is interesting and just discovered it's very effective when it gets severe.
One more step I'd add to your control remedies is the use of anti-inflammatory nasal spray such as Otrivin. This helps ease one of the most annoying after-effect of incessant sneezing, which is heavily swollen insides of one or both nostrils. However, it doesn't help the itching of the soft palate as it trickles down from the nostrils to the back of the throat. But helps breathe normally again.
Hope this helps too :) Cheers
I am so glad to have found this forum. I have been struggling with, his problem for about 10 years. I think people are on the right track when they talk about autoimmune response and system overload. For so long, I assumed my problem was had environmental causes, but I have made some interesting discoveries regarding diet. In fact, my sneezing fits would occur from once a month to once a week and I had been 2 months without a fit by avoiding almost completely dairy and gluten. Last night, I had a glass of milk and some feta cheese. I also had wine and chocolate. I think the problem does not have a specific cause, but rather, it's a combination of things to which our system is sensitive.
Yay!  After finding and reading this thread I can now put a name on my "allergic episodes" as I've called them.... after all these years!  Non-allergic Rhinitis <--- for sure! And I am glad to know that there are others that know EXACTLY what this feels like.

I don't have hay fever or any allergies (sneezing while doing the occasional dusting in my house does not an "allergy" make!) but 2-3 times a month I, too, am overwhelmed with water-faucet eyes and nose and long drawn-out sneezes.  The running nose and eyes (rivers!) are my worst symptoms.  It has never lasted more than 10 hours and I, too, am completely drained and exhausted when it finally stops.  The next day I am 100% symptom free.

I take Zyrtec D every single day for sinus drainage that makes me so hoarse I am impossible to understand (I am a trainer so talking is my vocation).  But Zyrtec has zero impact on these episodes.  

I have long suspected that my episodes are weather/barometric pressure related.  I have eliminated the seasonal allergies (although I know I have had occasional hay fever symptoms and it's obvious when I hear the pollen count on the weather).    My eyes --light green--are sensitive to makeup but I have no obvious allergies.    I DO think that stress makes me more reactive to the weather.

I travel for a living and this travel takes me from east-to-west, north-to-south in all seasons.  When an episode strikes -- and it is VIOLENT!-- I have learned to stop and pay attention to the weather!  Is it raining or getting ready to? Did a cold front just move through?  The answer is always YES.  

I became confident that my sinuses and the weather were the issue because of one incredible and sudden attack.  It was SO OBVIOUS I had to pay attention!  The story:

I was in Corpus Christie on business.  I had been there for almost 4 weeks (but flying home to Missouri on weekends) with no incident.  On the last day I was in Corpus, I woke up feeling normal.  It was a gray day and beginning to mist/sprinkle.  The wind kicked up.  Whilst driving on the interstate, headed TOWARD the bay, my head almost exploded. haha! Not really..... but immediately I couldn't stop the gusher out of my eyes and nose. I remember feel shocked and thinking "What??!! What is GOING ON??" Honestly I had trouble driving because I couldn't SEE.   I had no kleenex and my makeup was running down my face.  Instant headache.  Nothing can keep me from my Starbucks so I pulled through the drive through but was unable to order as the discharge down my throat killed my voice.  I couldn't stop the river of water.  The girl at the window actually RAN to get me a stack of napkins.  I think I scared her, she thought something serious had just happened to me.  I stayed *almost* this bad the rest of the day (not unlike all my other episodes but this one hit hard and fast like a brick upside the head).

When I went to the airport the security guy politely asked how my trip went.  When I related how I had so suddenly been overcome, he immediately responded "Oh, that happens to people here all the time.  It's called the "Corpus Crud".  When a front moves through and blows inland from across the bay, it picks up all the residue from the refineries and wrecks havoc on even the most hardened residents".  

And there ya go.  A front came through, and my symptoms were exaggerated by the crap in the air.  Pretty obvious.  Every since then I have been able to pinpoint my episodes.  I don't have them with *every* change in the weather? But mostly those that involve precipitation and big changes in pressure.

It doesn't sound like this is *everyones* issue here on this thread, but clearly this is mine.  

Thank you to all here who took their time to share.  It has been extremely helpful!

the drug literally has been proven to eat your brain...Dr's did MRI of users brain in a research study and the brain had plaques everywhere. the effect of the nasal relief does not out way the disastrous effects you'll be stuck with for a life time! besides the beneficial "nasal drying" aspect of E is the cut which more than likely is a derivative of Ephedrine. unfortunately U.S. consumers cannot purchase over the counter any longer (as i'm sure you already know), but maybe try an equal substitute and not E. not to judge but if you are using regularly or even seldom, you have a problem. take care of yourself. all the best and stop using.
I sneeze every other day and I dunno why. I vacuum enough, or so I thought, maybe I need to go back to vacuuming every day.
Well, to me the Vasomotor Rhinitis or Non-allergic Rhinitis is the most logical diagnosis. But it is *still* sooooo frustrating that more research has not been done to find better treatments. I am 15 weeks pregnant, and my sneezing fits are at their all time worst!!  It is horrible. :(  If anyone finds a med that helps, please share.
but its winter time
I just found this website.  I really thought I was alone in this.  This seems to happen to me when the wind is blowing hard.  I think it's the dust and mold. It can happen anytime of year.  It's happening today. I'm at work, took a benadryl.  Only thing that seems to help is to go home, take 3 benadryl, and sleep thru it.
Wow! I never knew other people had this problem too.  Yes, the sneezing is exhausting.  People don't realize how much energy is lost with constant sneezing. I've always had terrible Spring season allergies.  Forget that groundhog, my allergies will tell you if Spring is coming early or not.   Psst...It is.....I've been sneezing since Jan.  

I used to get allergy shots as a child, I had an inhaler, I wore masks (which  scared my friends), I took pills, I stuffed wads of tissue up my nose, I did everything.  

In grade school my teachers would kick me outta class and tell me to go stand in the hallway while I had these fits.  They said that students having to constantly 'bless me' after each sneeze (and there'd be like 5 sets of 9 consecutive sneezes) would disrupt her class.  As if I did this for sh*t's and giggles.

The docs said that eventually I'd grow out of it once I reached adulthood.....I'm 30 and my allergist just prescribed me an EpiPen.  I guess this is as good as it gets, eh?

I get the same thing, seemingly triggered by weather change and not allergy, as I have no allergies, and these sneezing fits happen regardless of the season. Some of the worst fits happen right before a major snowstorm, and I know the "pollen load" is negligible in Illinois in December!
Unbelievable! We should make a club or sth! I did'nt know it is such a common problem! I am 25 y.o. I have the same sneezing syndrome two years now. Spring dramatically deteriorates it. Last year I went to a doctor and he assumed that probably its some sort of allergy. He said it's very difficult to find out what influences it. He gave me cortisone (INUVAIR 100/6). Until a few months ago I saw visible results, but gradually it became non effective.I guess that it was not triggered by allergies, but just happened to coincide with one. It usually lasts a few months (2-3), but then continues in a more discreet manner. In the period of the rise Ι may sneeze up to eighty times a day! The strange thing is it starts very strongly just when I wake up in the morning...
However, because I try to avoid medicines as much as I can,
I will try ''eblip Nov 10, 2011''  advice who recommended complete home cleanliness to an excessive degree. Ι will report results soon!

Greetings from Greece!
I have been cured of this condition and free of all symptoms for 207 days. I am a Male, 44 years, chronic sufferer of all preceding symptoms  for 30 years.
I decided I should loose some I was getting on the chubby side. I chose to fast and cleanse and did so for two weeks.( Lemon detox)During which time I became symptom free.
I was dumbfounded to discover that when I went back to eating normally I was back to the same old debilitating states.
It has been over six months and its hard to understand why but its gone.
I fast every Monday that means I go to bed on Sunday without dinner and don't eat until Tuesday morning.
I stopped eating wheat in all its glorious forms. ( I dream of pasta).
I still have lattes but don't eat dairy.
I still eat meat?
I still drink tea and coffee
I stopped eating anything with sugar in it. If it anti natural I don't eat it
I have dramatically reduced my weight as a bonus but this means nothing in comparison to being sneeze free and clear nasal passages.
I tell you sorry but I too, always thought It was the weather or a mold and every busted *** doctor or clinic would tell me I had pollen up my nose. Any one can crack open a text book and dish out a diagnosis but without first hand experience of this affliction your doctor cares little for your uneducated opinions.
Mine was diet, I don't fully understand it, and I don't know exactly which food but it has gone and no thanks to modern medicine.
My email is ***@**** if you want ask any questions
Finally people who understand! I am a 30 year old caucasian male and have suffered from sneezing spells for 7 years now. I will sneeze continuously for up to an hour often 2 or 3 times a day typically twice a week, often so violently I cannot breath in between sneezes. I have put my neck and back out sneezing and had to miss work. I have tried every medication other than steroids because I have a liver condition (Gilbert's Syndrome) with very little to absolutely no relief.

I know that it is not allergies because it happens all year round. I will be completely fine one day, horrible the next, and back to normal the day after without a single variable in my diet, or cleaning products. My girlfriend did notice that there does seem to be some correlation to the barometer (often the day before snow or rain) to which outside of building myself a Pauly Shore Bio-dome will never solve mine or anyone else's problem.

One thing I have also noticed and will hopefully lead to a cure is that my sinuses are extremely sensitive. So much so that I have had fits caused purely by contact to my nose. As if any blood rush to my nasal cavity causes the sneezing regardless of what is in the air.

At this point of desperation I am willing to attempt a desensitizing surgery. I cannot go on with these fits. I am currently in excellent physical condition but I fear for my safety as I age. In my 60+ I could easily break ribs and puncture a lung or sneeze my way down a flight of stairs to my death.

Now I need to find a quack to perform the procedure
hello fellow sneezers! It comforts me to know there are others like me, it is hard to explain to people that no, I am not getting a cold or no I don't have hay fever or any allergies, it is just a "sneezing day" I will be perfectly allright tomorrow.Maybe my ribs will be sore or behind my ears sometimes hurts but that is just the aftermath of the physically taxing day I have had.
I am in the midst of a sneezing day right now and have had them for over 25 years, I am 55 now. I used to get them every month but now it is every couple of months.
I would say never blow your nose, the relief is only temporary and the sneezing becomes much, much worse.
Never use tissue to stem the flow. just cotton hankies.
It's as if water or tears pour out of my nose, it drives me mad and the sneezing is so powerful, sneeze after sneeze after sneeze!
One thing that stops it is playing tennis but you can be sure that 10 minutes after I have finished the sneezing is back, it has to have it's full day!
Sometimes just sitting still helps, today no, my nose is dripping.
Anyway I will be better tomorrow and another good thing.....I never get colds or flu Hooray!!!
I am the same way! I have just figured out the connection to the sneezing and my monthly cycle. You are not allown. Have you heard from anyone else? I am actually having a sneezing day today and of course being stubborn I am pushing on and trying to get work done. Who knows if it is even quality work.
Hi Mouse,

Not a crazy sneeze attack but I let out more than a few the morning of 5/21 and less today.  It was very very humid here, 94% RH this morning. I'm convinced it has something to do with humidity and other meteorological aspects.  See my previous posts.

Montreal, Quebec
This is a great thread. I read the entire thing, and was enthralled. Let me provide a summary for someone who might have skipped to the end.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?
We have Vasomotor Rhinitis. You can look it up in Wikipedia. Essentially it is irritation of the nose that is not caused by allergies. Some of us may also have allergies, in which case we have Mixed Rhinitis.

HOW CAN I STOP IT FROM HAPPENING?
The cause is not well understood, so currently it's impossible to avoid triggers. For drugs, there are promising results from Astelin (Azelastine) and Patanase (Olopatadine). Both are prescription (non-steroid) nasal sprays. I have not tried them yet, but I will.

HOW CAN I STOP AN ATTACK IN PROGRESS?
Here there are promising results for symptomatic relief from Flovent (Fluticasone Propionate) and Rhinocort (Budesonide). Both are prescription steroid nasal sprays. Again, I have not yet tried them, but I will.

BUT HOW CAN I STOP AN ATTACK NOW WITHOUT GETTING A PRESCRIPTION?
Sorry, no easy answer. That's why there's a six year thread here with people trying to figure it out, to no avail. I have not found anything non-prescription that can stop an attach. Things that may help ride it out:

- Stick cotton balls/kleenex up each nostril. This will absorb the drainage, and the pressure helps suppress the urge to sneeze.
- Cardio exercise/hot bath/hot shower may provide relief during the activity.
- Sit still. It's almost universally worse if you are active (with the exception of cardio exercise).
- Knock yourself out. A full dose of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or a couple stiff drinks (not both!) can provide relief through sleep. Obviously this doesn't work if you still want to be functional.

I'll post back if I can try any of the suggested prescription drugs after visiting my doctor.

Wow... I can relate, only im almost every day. Tissues pouring out of every pocket, bag, in my bra (just incase of emergency) im dripping everywhere, but i cant inhale through my nose. My face and neck arr always red and puffy. At least 10 times a day i will sneeze a minimum of 8 times... And thats on a good day. I can hardely see because my eyes are  so wattery and glossed over. Its hard to hold a conversation alot of the time. I work in a residential/clerical setting and it is so hard to try to be professional when i have to hold my breath to ensure i wont sneeze on a client while doung paperwork... Not to mention people are grossed out!!!... I cant blame them, i am too. I dont know what to do or how to  control this situation? Tried meds and sprays and sinus rinses ( was followed by sinus infection) im always tired and winded, body aches due to such violent upper body convulsion like spazams when i sneeze 15 times in a row and my brain feels like its ricocheting around in my skull... I often see black or blueish spots and start to faint, or have to sit down for a minute to regroup. It freakin *****!!!... I feel for you all and wouldnt wish this on anyone. I dont have insurance at the moment but was given some antibiotics from a free clinic .... In the process of finishing them but nothings really changing.. Good luck to all of you and your sore noses.
Thanks bfineman for that great summary. I have been following this thread from the beginning in the hope that someone might have discovered something that works. My latest theory is that the culprit might be fabric softener. This is based on the fact that many of my attacks seem to happen soon after clean sheets have been put on the bed, or I have put on a newly laundered shirt. We are substituting baking soda which apparently does the same job as commercial fabric softeners minus the hazardous chemicals which are known to cause such things as skin reactions in many people. Too early to say if it's working as we still have some clothing that was laundered using fabric softeners, but I will update in a few weeks.

Most, but not all, of my attacks occur in the morning, or even overnight in bed, and can last anywhere from 3 to 12 hours of constant sneezing and running nose. Like everyone else I have found that once an attack starts antihistamines are useless, however if I remember to take a Reactine before going to bed I don't think I have ever had an attack the following morning. So in my case antihistamine seems to have a preventive effect. I just don't like the idea of taking them every day when I can sometimes go for a month without an attack. But then when I do get an attack I could kick myself for not taking a pre-emptive Reactine. Hope this helps someone.
I have sneezing episodes EVERYTIME it is about to rain..I literally could tell my family and coworkers its about to rain that day just from the sneezing..NODOUBT about it..Ithink the pollen in the air changes or something..as soon as the rain has passed and the air is cleaned again I am fine and the sneezing stops..
Me: sneezing all day, watery nose, closed nostrils (at least one all the time but sometimes both), and difficulty breathing and speaking. I never had this problem in the past. It started off mildly about 5 years ago and now it's severe sneezing. I'm trying to figure out what the problem could be and I'm not sure if it's fabric softener. This is just a suspicion, but could it be WATER SOFTENER? Do you guys have a water softener at your house?

It is really the only difference I can think of since this started happening and I know the water softener company has done a good job of marketing themselves and making just about every household get one ... so, what are all of your thoughts on this?
My sneezing fits are so violent and crippling I no longer can hold down a job. I have been disabled from sneezing to the point I cannot control my bladder or bowels. No friends, no help, no sympathy. Life is terrible all because of uncontrollable, violent drawn out sneezing fits that seem to have no cause.
MOLD! Do you live in a Hot and Humid climate? Check for mold Everywhere. Basements, bathrooms, closets. I moved from Wyoming (Very DRY) to the East coast and started uncontrollable sneezing in the summer. Found mold growing at the same time. Bleach will kill mold. And try to keep things dry as much as possible. Hopefully this will help at least Some of you.
I live in a valley and I have discovered that when I travel 30 minutes North, here there is better air circulation, my symptoms disappear. We have done the experiment twice now on days when I get a sneezing fit. In fact, we have decided to move. Not only will that help with these crazy sneezing fits, but I often feel light headed or headachy and we have found it helps with that as well.
Hi everyone, I found this thread of comments incredibly helpful the last time I experienced a day of sneezing. It's GOOD to know I am not the only one! I came across this link today, which proves there is something to what we have been experiencing. I hope this research continues and becomes more common knowledge.
http://www.nextavenue.org/article/2013-09/its-true-weather-really-does-affect-your-health
I see that your post was in 2009, so I hope this still reaches someone.  I DO have seasonal nasal allergies, but this is NOT my season.  I have had sensitive sinuses periodically in the past, but for the last month and a half it is constant.  I can touch my nose and sneeze ten times.  Change of air temp, smells, ANYTHING will set me off.  If I wake in the night to use the bathroom, my nose stuffs up!  Change of breathing pattern or blood pressure?  Idk.  It really makes it hard to accomplish anything.  I was hoping that in this span of time you might have found something that gives you relief?  Thanks for your time.
i am 25 and have suffered from the same problem for the last decade or so.. and its been getting worse... from once or twice a month.. its now once or twice a week... i dont sneeze all day... bt 4-5 hours of blowing my brains out through my nose is a certainty... i am asthamatic and i got tested for several allergens with a negative response... sudden change in temp or surroundings usually does it for me...i recently met a physician who told me certain things regarding this... i dont find time to do it but for someone who does.. this may help..
steam inhalation several times a day.. actually.. exhalation... steam should go in via the mouth and be exhaled via the nose
take a dropper, some warm water.. cup ur hand.. inhale the warm water and sniff it out...

sniffing in is a strict no-no.. acts as a major irritant..
besides.. washing hands / feet with cold water in the mornings and evenings should be avoided..
a few steroidal nasal inhalers were recommended but i dont believe thats a good idea :)... let me know if it helps anyone..

I realise this is an old thread but wow I can't believe I've found others that have the same problem as me! I'm so relieved I'm not alone!

I'm just recovering from a 'sneezy day' which I believe was triggered from helping a friend clear out some out boxes and the dust got me. But the attacks don't just happen with dust - they also happen randomly. The dust just really irritated my nose, I think.

I know when a attack day is coming when I wake up in the morning with a persistent tickly nose 'just about to sneeze' feeling that doesn't go away after sneezing. My eyes, throat, mouth, face in general itch like crazy and I feel like I'm going to itch my own face off! I look totally mad to friends and family but I feel they don't really understand how exhausting it is. And I can't grasp what causes it.

My eyes swell, my nose is red and running like a tap and I sneeze so many times in a row I nearly pass out. The only way I can fall asleep on a day like this is either from complete exhaustion or from crying my self to sleep. I'm going to try cutting out dairy and gluten from my diet to see what happens but I'm not hopeful.

I've had hayfever since I was a teenager but from when I was around 15 I've sneezed all year round with random 'attack' days...it really *****. I'm 23 now and am at the end of my tether after trying every allergy medicine.  It's completely debilitating and I really feel for you all. Much love.
Wow! Okay I thought that I was the only one.  I sneeze everyday allday and it is also as soon as I wake up.  My nose gets to itching real bad and then the sneezing begins and goes all day until I go to sleep.  I have been doing this for almost 4 years now, and I've never had any problems with allergies or anything like that.  I know this might sound silly, but for a while I thought maybe it had something to with me giving birth to my last child, because that is when it started.  She is about to turn 4 next week.  Somebody please give some helpful insight on what is happening and what could be causing this.
I too have sneezy days...ENT can't figure it out. I have all the usual seasonal allergies and such..but this isn't the same kind of sneezing. I also have fibromyalgia, it makes the body do some very strange things.
I tracked my sneezy days. They started during my second pregnancy, which I miscarried. I was stuffy and tap nose sneezy for about three weeks at the beginning of the pregnancy. Then, I miscarried. Sneezing stopped. (Whew!)
Sneezing then began, like clockwork, for the entire day the day before my period. Every single month. Doc has no explanation. Got pregnant again, stuffy and sneezy throughout (lived on Otrivin!).  Congestion and all subsided after giving birth. Now, baby is nearly 4 months, a day of sneezing! I hope I'm not going back to my once a month pattern! (Though a very reliable predictor)
I am assuming that the same hormones responsible for pregnancy rhinitis are responsible for monthly sneezing in me.
I've been dealing with this for 4 years.  Was on asthma medicine singular / asmanex - made a difference.  But didn't want be on singulair long-term it makes you mean.  I started becoming more aware of what I ate, when I ate, and realized that it seemed I had "silent GERD", no gas, no heartburn, but just stuff coming back up my esophagus and into the sinus cavities.  There were also issues with grinding teeth, which activates the gut.  It's complicated. Brushing your teeth at night relaxes the esophagus and if you eat late, I would put money on it that "stuff" comes up (even if it's microscopic).  I have to sleep at an angle, if not I wake up sneezing. And, I believe that is the "stuff" that is in my nose.  When I eat early. don't drink a lot of coffee or alcohol before bed and put in a night guard so I don't grind, it seems better.  Have no idea if this is it, but I do think it's connected.  Anyone have any ideas on this?
Like many others I was glad to hear that I am not alone.  This fall has been particularly bad for me.  I sneeze so hard I put ribs out and spend 24 hours with Kleenex shoved up my nose as plugs, which when I remove over the garbage its like you opened a faucet.  No amount of allergy meds will stop it and I am exhausted by the end of the day.  I try to stay at work, and yes I shove Kleenex up my nose there too.  If you walk into my office you just don't know what to expect.  Sleep is the only thing that will give me a break, but it is a full 24 hours almost exactly to the hour until it stops and the next day I couldn't blow my nose if I tried.  
Am going to research more on the non-allergic rhinitis that I read about here and see what I can find out.
I also have the same fits with no end in sight. Wanted to offer up a few things that can sometimes help. First off try ALL Antihistamines. Rx and over the counter! You may need to look them up and ask your doctor to give you an rx for each one as you try them. Don't just take what they advise as there are SO MANY to try! From eye drops to sprays and plain old pills! Try them all and at a max dose before giving up on them! Secondly, talk to your doctor about using more then one kind at the same time! There are a few you can use like that in extreme cases where nothing works. Next things to try are things that will stop the reflex it self. I so know that feeling of it not stopping for hours and hours and feeling like I would barf just from all the sneezing. I've pulled out my back, had my eyes swell shut from all the inflammation. Peed myself.. So many awful and embarrassing issues all from the non-stop sneezing. You can try to flush your nose out a few times with a neti pot (use distilled warm water with the salt packs). You can try saline sprays in the cans. If after a few flushes your still having the fit you can try sitting in a steamy room. I found a product a few years back that sometimes helps when all else does not. It's called " Village Naturals Therapy Cold & Allergy Mineral Bath Soak" I put a spoon full into a basin of steaming water and breath it in for a foot or two away. It will really help clear out all that extra goo you get from the inflammation. I hope this will help a few of you. It gets me by on the really bad days. I wish there was more I could suggest but honestly I've tried all the things people tell you two and just like most of you they never work. Good luck to you all.  
I think I may have posted in here in years past? this has been an ongoing problem for me for many years.  Nothing, absolutely NOTHING helps.  Believe me, I have tried every spray and pill - both prescription and OTC, and nothing will help or stop a "sneeze day".  I am 79 years old, and I swear that this will eventually cause me to have a stroke, and be the end of me.  I now just try to relax and just go with the sneezes, and figure - I've lived a reasonably long life, and there could be worse ways to die!  The weather has changed drastically here in the past 24 hours. (freezing cold) so once again, I'm looking at the possibility of weather changes to be the culprit?  Of course that doesn't explain why this happens in the summer, or when the weather is bland and mild for weeks on end.  I have also had allergy tests, and they have come back with no specific allergies.  
Chamomile tea works and lets u rest. Nothing else including Flonase helped my Fiancée.  My first experience with this, but look up "home remedies" to find many easy to try cures like fennel tea and pepper.
I found out, I only have this 'condition' about 1x every 30-60 days, it is a sign from my body to - calm down and let thinks go, when I have a day like these, I lay in bed and get rest, normally it goes away within a few hours, sometimes in 2h or so, after I lay down. sign for me, to stay at home that day and keep it very easy.
next day, evewrything back to normal I have to say. if that is all it is ...

I think out bodys are like an 'account' ... we do something over a long period of time - like stress, I travel about 150k miles a year or more, constant meetings,  stress, out bodies take all that in - and eventually tell us to stop and slow down and 'shut up' and that is the result, as cant function with a sneezing attack so we have to slow down, I found out, when I do daily walks and take some time away from PC, cell phone, and stress, the timeperiod of my sneezing attacks goes longer and longer, so maybe try that and see what works for you, let me know, I am open to suggestions.
Finally a post I can relate to. I do not have asthma or any allergy to the common test allergists test you for. I am 18 and have been dealing with this for years and have not figured out why it happens until now. It seems to be related to a lack of sleep for me. Sure the easiest solution is to just sleep normally but if I have to stay up to study or maybe watch a midnight premier what do I do then?
Roll toilet paper into a plug the size of your nostril. Push it as far back in your nostril as you can. This stops my violent sneezing attacks instantly. It's not a cure but it beats ripping out a lung sneezing. It gives relieve until whatever the problem is passes.
I last posted on here around June 2013. Since then I have had a very positive development that I want to share with others. Like most posters I was a victim of frequent bouts of incessant sneezing, without any indication of allergies, despite the usual tests. The situation seemed to be getting worse in the last couple of years and I would wake up in the night with a dry mouth because I could not breathe through a blocked nose. I was referred to an ENT specialist and I went there expecting the usual diagnosis that I had some unknown allergy, and a prescription for yet another nasal spry (which in the past only gave brief relief). Here's the good news; the ENT quickly found, through a sinus probe, that I have nasal polyps. He told me these are quite common and cause nasal blockage as well as sneezing and runny nose. Unlike colon or bladder polyps, the nasal variety are never malignant. He prescribed an inhaler called Rhinocort Turbuhaler, and because my sinuses were inflamed, he prescribed a 2 week tapered dose of prednisone to reduce the inflammation. However it seemed to be the inhaler that did the trick because after just 2 applications the effect was almost miraculous. For the first in two years I could breathe freely through my nose and was able to sleep soundly through the night with no dry mouth. I have now been using the inhaler for 2 months and have had no sneezing events in that time. Also, I used to go through a box of tissues in a week. Now I rarely use a tissue. What a dramatic change, and what an improvement in my quality of life. I bless the day I was referred to this ENT (his name is Dr. Bravo in Whitby Ontario). I am so grateful to him, and I hope this will lead to someone else solving their sneezing/sinus problem.
This is very interesting - I totally recognise all of the symptoms described several times in this thread and am so relieved I'm not alone (not that I wish this on anyone). I haven't taken note, over the years of when I've had the episodes, but I had one 2 days ago on holiday in Rome. As expected, this incapacitated me and ruined 1 day of a 3 day holiday. I know I haven't had an attack in a while and the previous post really caught my attention. I had the biggest nasal polyp anyone has ever seen a couple of years ago (visible when anyone looked up my nose) and I had it surgically removed about 2 years ago. I hadn't made the connection with my violent sneezing but now I seriously think they must be connected. I am guessing I haven't had any episodes since the op, but I was told polyps tend to grow back and I think this is what's happening. I'm going to take note at the next episode and visit the doctor to look for polyps. I would recommend others at least explore this option. We all know that this is not an allergy.
I have been suffering with these attacks for years. They always start the same. I notice a lot of inflammation in my joints and then wake up feeling sweaty and chilled. Then the sneezing starts. It's violent and painful! My ribs pop out of place a lot. About 3 hours into it I begin itching from head to toe. I can't even describe how bad it is! It's not like hives. It's deep down and makes me want to rip my skin off. The stranger part is that the itchy areas are in symmetrical locations. Each side of the head,each forearm, each hip etc. Then my lips swell up and feel raw. By morning it will pass although sometimes I end up with asthma issues the following day. I am tired of the doctors looking at me like I am crazy when this happens. 50 mg of benedryl helps with the nasal faucet but the rest I get no relief from! I really wonder if this is some hyper immune response.
Hello, everyone.  I have these exhausting sneezing fits also.  I've also found in the past that nothing helps except taking 5 or 6 times the recommended dose of chlorpheniramine malate (over the counter antihistamine), which I am not supposed to do.  A week ago, I was so desperate to stop the sneezing and extreme itching in my nose and throat that I tried my usual remedy for dry coughs - it's a tea called Throatcoat.  (www.traditionalmadicinals.com - also sold at some Rite-aids in the natural remedy section).  The ingredient that helps is slippery elm bark.  Just like it sounds it's very slippery and seems to coat your throat.  I had never tried it for the sneezing fits before, but this time I did and it really helped.  It took the itch away completely and reduced the sneezing by about 3/4.  Good luck.
I had another sneeze attack on Sunday Aug 31st, the first in over a year.  It was humid as heck, I woke up feeling fine then went out and about to run some errands and an hour or so into being outside it all started. Relative Humidity was in the high 80s if not 90s.  It was one of those days where the air temperature was only about 24 celsius but the humidex was in the 30s.
I get this too! I have no idea what I can try. But I have tried everything I can think of!
My poor husband is such a hurting unit - he's so sneezy. I joke that he's allergic to me. The beginning of this thread was in 2007. There still isn't an answer to what causes these often times inexplicable, day-long, sneezing attacks.

I'm curious. What do you all think about this having something to do with stress. Any kind of stress. Work, financial, relationships, whatever. Maybe something about a stressful event, or combination of weather and stress?

Any energy healers out there with input on this?

There is clearly something more than what we're considering.

What do you think?
I found this group while Googling "why do I sneeze so much" trying to find answers for my 17 year old son. Although we don't know WHY he wakes up (average) twice a week with violent sneezes, we have found something that stops them. My wife and I recently became wellness advocates for doTERRA Essential Oils and have had great luck with an oil blend called "Breathe". We have him rub some on his chest and add 2 drops to his hands, rub them together, put them in front of his face and breathe in deeply, through his nose. Within 1-2 minutes, he's done sneezing!
I don't know if that would work for everyone but it definitely works for him and we (and he) are ecstatic!!

Just wanted to share, maybe this works for you too!! Best of luck....
Hey MrsSneezy, if stress was the case I'd be sneezing 24/7 for the past 10 months! lol

I honestly believe it has something to do with the barometric air pressue/humidity.  Every time I have an attack that always seems to be the common denominator.
Viewing 201-203 comments: