Allergy Community
Violent, uncontrollable sneezing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Violent, uncontrollable sneezing

I have had allergies and asthma all my life.  When I have a sneezing/hay fever reaction, it's accompanied by the usual itching of palate and eyes, and my medications take care of it.  But once or twice a month, I sneeze uncontrollably, hundreds of times, all day long, and nothing, not Allegra-D, not Claritin, not Benadryl, will stop it.  And the weird thing is, this sneezing is NOT accompanied by the usual itching.  When I have a "sneezing day," I am nonfunctional.  All events are canceled. It is absolutely exhausting.  I sometimes  wonder if it has anything to do with weather or barometric changes; it seems like it rains or there's a temp. change the following day, and my symptoms are COMPLETELY gone.  Any guesses or similarities out there?
Sorry, I reread my post and noticed some grammar errors.  Hope you understand what I meant.  
It's just late and I'm sleepy now.  :)
My daughter has had days like that.  Where she's sneezed all day long, carrying a box of tissues with her everywhere.  It usually really takes a lot out of her.  I usually think that it's a beginning of a cold or some kind of allergy, although the next day it's gone and all she's left with is a red nose.  I don't think that she sneezes as much as you do, although there's been times I've kept her home from school and other times she went to a school with a box of tissues.  

To be honest with you...I'm obviously not a doctor but I think it might be some kind of allergy.  Something must set it off.  What I would do is write down everything going on with the weather, if you changed any soaps, detergents in closes...etc...  It has to be something...may daughter has not has a sneeze attack day in awhile.  (knock wood)  And like you said, it usually goes away so we usually do not go to the doctor....weird, right?
It is possible that something sets it off, and it is also possible that weather changes are the cause. Whatever the case I would suggest that you cover one of the bases and see if it helps. I had a problem with the air in my home and a friend of mine told me what she did, which was she got a whole house air purifier. I did a little research and found that it's some pretty good stuff.

It's a Polarized Media Filter that she uses, and I do now, and what it does is it actually attracts the particles to the media with a static electricity. It works a whole lot better than the normal filters which are just standing there on the off-chance that something actually catches.

Anyway, the best place to find these is at www.airlifeone.com. And I'd look at the Electrobreeze brand if you were getting one. I suggest it because it's cheaper, and honestly I don't know what the other company is doing by charging more because it's the same product. Another thing that's really cool about this company is, they don't give you hassles if you have a question about something. When I talked with them they helped me out no problem. It's actually quite refreshing considering most companies automate everything.

Well, I hope that I've helped you out.
my husband is like that when the weather changes! exactly like that.  he can tell 2 days away if the weather is going to dramatically change - and here in texas that happens a lot. trust me, its awful for him. once the weather settles down, he's back to normal.  only the barometric change does anything to him.  you're not alone in this, and nothing - not any medication on the market, rx or otherwise, puts a dent in his reaction.
I see that I am not alone in my misery.   These fits occur any time of year for me and last about a day.  No type of antihistimine or other allergy medicine makes any difference.  My allergy specialist thinks the cause may be a virus.  No one knows.  Sometimes they occur every 10-12 days, other times I go a month or two.  It is horrible.
The function of the sneeze reflex is to dislodge foreign matter or irritating material from respiratory passages.The source of irritation that initiates the sneeze reflex is in the nasal passages.
Weather change by itself will not cause sneezing.What is probably happening is the load  of pollen-common allergen-might be very high at that particular time.The pollen level can be quite different in various areas of a particular city or area. Levels of pollen tend to be highest from early morning to mid-morning, from 5AM to 10AM.
On those particular days maybe you go into bouts of uncontrollable sneezing.
You could discuss with yor doctor whether using a nasal spray would be of some help.
Finally found a site with someone that can identify with my problems. I have the exact same symptoms as you.  The violent sneezing episodes last all day and nothing seems to stop it.  It is impossible to work or function on those days.  I know people think I am "stretching" the truth when I have to call in sick to work on those days.  I teach and it is impossible to be productive on a day when you can't stop sneezing.  It leaves you exhausted when the sneezing finally does stop the next day.  I have had all the allergy skin tests done and wasn't allergic to anything.  The dr. diagnosed me with non-allergic rinitis and prescribed Astelin which has terrible side effects.  The only thing that seems to help me a little is taking double doses of benedryl which probably isn't healthy, but at least it will put me to sleep for a few hours.  I see a new allergy dr. tomorrow and am hoping for some help with this ongoing problem.  
i am not a good speller or writer but here goes, I am so glad to know i am not the only one possibly overdosing myself on antihystimins i too have these sneezing attacks about 2 times a month i have known allergies and take meds daily with good results usualy symptom free but when an attack comes nothing stops it i cannot function i cant seem to figure out what triggers it and then the next day im warn out.
I am not alone! I too have this, it is so draining.  the benadryl  only makes me sleep so that is used as a last resort. Some days it is all day. I too have wondered is it due to weather, I live in the tropics and  think it is the moist air, the change in pollen content or weather ( sudden downpours cloudy days brilliant sun) as well as the various molds and spiders we have. I don't think it is an allergy as much as just a very sensitive nose. Dust gets me,  a smell,  perfume,  the sun  but then some days nothing.  I noticed this happening when I was pregnant with my first child 17 years ago. The nose was so sensitive to touch, if my husband leaned close to kiss me and his breath  touched my nose it would tickle it and cause a sneeze!  Weird!  The terrible thing is some times the sneeze itself triggers another  you get so stuffed up  but drippy too, that you can hardly breathe for fear of more sneezes.  You can stand up and start to sneeze!  A fan blowing can trigger it, cooler air form an air con, then going into warmer air.  I have tried all medication and the nasal sprays ( which often trigger a sneeze  themselves!) I've had x-rays to see if there is a blockage or an infection, nothing!  Do you think stress can cause it? I noticed a few times when I have to tell off my children I get stopped by a sneeze or two or 6! I don't know if it will ever go away or there will ever be a cure.  We just have to make do the best we can.  Bless you! all! Caroline
I'm having a similar problem with my allergies.  It doesn't last just one day either.  I have had the most awful sinus pain for days.  Nothing I've done has helped very much at all.  I've used the nasal spray, which will wash out what ever is bothering me, but I still get no relief.  I'm using Nasonex, which has been like using nothing.  I used Flonase in the past.  Same thing.  I'm on Benadryl all the time, otherwise I would have an itchy runny nose, sneezing, plus this sinus pain.

I can't take ANYTHING for pain.  I've been dealing with a kidney issue, so NSAIDs are out.  I'm allergic to Tylenol, and I'm allergic to all opiates.  When I was hospitalized with renal failure, the hospital had me lying down on a K-pad to deal with the intense kidney pain, because there isn't anything left that one can take for pain.

So, that means I can't take anything to deal with the sinus pain and headaches when this is happening.

I'm at a loss as to what I can do.  I can't afford to get an air purifier.  It's on my wish list of items to buy some time in the distant future, which means not in the forseeable future.

This is almost the same as what these other allergy sufferers are going through.  This is very debilitating.

In addition to the pharmaceuticals I mentioned that I'm allergic to, I am allergic to everything under the sun, with a long list of food allergies, because I also have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS).  So, I have to be particularly careful of what I take into my body.
Holy moly..I have to tell you I thought I was alone. I just came back from the Drs took today off. Woke up 3 am violent sneezing for hours..have to  have a tea towel because my nose is raw from Kleenex, running like a tap..clear, eyes are watering,and my body is drained. I know tomorrow will be like nothing ever happened, and I'll just have a red nose to show for my lost day. When I'm like this I can't even talk to people because my nose  is running down my face, in my purse, lap...desk..
I'll be going to a specialist to find out what I'm allergic to..but I drank red wine yesterday, and now that I think about it...I think the last time I was like this I had drank red wine that day...hmmm..with what I've just googled I may be allergic to what is in red wine, and alot of other food that have sulphites (to preserve foods) or the histamines...well I'll be testing this....no more red wine...I hope that's it..because that would be sooooo easy to fix this.
So maybe I'm not alone.... but I still feel that my uncontrollable, violent, head wrenching sneezing has to be the worst.... Now I'm a 23 year old, African American with Asthma, Sinuses, and hundreds of food allergies, outdoor allergies, and inside allergies.... fortunately for me I've never had one of these reactions outside of my home... but let me tell you If I did they would lock me up in a zoo for behaving like an animal. My sneezes comes in doubles, triples, quadruples, and I can be sneezing for hours.... my sneezes aren't clean sneezes...I'm draining snot like a water faucet....  no conventional medications work... I have to let it go away in its on time.... If you know anything I can do... let me know.
Holy sneezes! This is very wierd that there are other uncontrollable sneezers. However, I feel that I am different. This is not just a day here or there. This is everyday! Now some days are more worst than others. For instance I have sneezed all day......Maybe a onesie, twosie, threesie here and there if you will. But for the past three hours i have sneezed probably 50 times. and yes I am drained from it. Most days " normal non-sneezers" probably wake up and head straight to the bathroom because " they got to go". I wake up and the first thing I do is sneeze.......atleast three times. I am at a loss here. I dont know what I can do to stop it. I tried to do the process of elimination but I seem to be a creature of habit and I dont change anything. I dont have allergies, asthma bad sinuses or any medical condition that has been diagnosed. I JUST WANT TO STOP SNEEZING!!!!!!!
I'm a 62 year old male who's recently developed allergies. I too have fits of uncontrollable sneezing. I went to an allergist and he identified dust mold and grass as the culprits. Just after visiting the doctor I spent 6 weeks in Mexico and was relatively free from misery. I'm now back in Toronto for a few weeks and the sneezing seems to be returning . The sneezing I can live with---it's 10 hours a day with a running nose that's a killer. I'm starting a nasal spray called Omnaris and hoping it helps. It's truly a debilitating condition and I commiserate with the others who've written.
Holy ****! (excuse the language) I  too am having these sneeze attacks. They are debilitating. I get them everyday for at least 1 to 2 hours. I can get them in the morning, in the car, at work, at my boyfriends, at the movie theaters, new places, old places, closed areas, open areas. Everyone keeps saying I must be getting sick but I am not sick. I feel helpless. Now with swine flu everyone looks at me like I'm contagious. Everyone thinks I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but when I feel a sneeze coming on I know I have to run to a bathroom to blow my nose and that my great day is over. I've never had air born allergy's only to grass but as a skin allergen. It almost seems like the tissue makes it worse. We must all have a common bond... What is it in our everyday lives that is causing this?
I am allergic to two things - cats and dust. Now neither trouble me very badly, antihistamine can sort it out.

But like all of you I suffer from horrid sneezing episodes. Last time it happened I sneezed so hard that I pulled a muscle in my abdomen. It sounds funny now, but at the time (and while still sneezing) it was unbearable!

I wish there was an explanation out there.
Me too!  I am in the middle of one right now.  It started this morning and now that I am sitting still in a dark room, I am not sneezing.  I would say this happens to me one day a month and like everyone else who has posted it takes A LOT out of me.  I also drank red wine last night and maybe that does have something to do with it.  I always thought it was the "perfect storm" of conditions that caused it: high pollen day, weather change, etc all happening at once.  I just called and left a voicemail for my husband and sneezed 4 times while leaving it!!!!
I know exactly what you're talking about.  Except oddly enough, the last 3 hotel rooms I checked into I just went ballistic in sneezing...possibly the cleaning agents used??? It got so bad the third night that I went for a walk at midnight in Atlanta.  My hypothesis on the causes if this are:
A: Pollen
B: Paulen
I too am a chronic uncontrollable sneezer and can relate to every one of your posts.  Nothing worked for me either when I would take allergy medicines and nasal sprays. Please be open-minded when I say this, even you parents who are opposed to illegal drugs.  One day this past summer I had been suffering from a day of sneezing when my friend offered me a pill of Ecstasy to do just as a fun drug without knowing it would help me with my sinuses.  After I took the pill,  about 30 minutes later my sinuses completely dried up and stopped sneezing and I could breathe so easily. Oh my!  I was so happy (thats what the drug helps with anyways) but I was so impressed with the fact it took away the sinus itch that you normally have.  Now I really dont do drugs, only on rare special occasions and live a pretty clean life, I am 36 yrs old and pretty healthy, have been an athlete in my past. Lately, the past few weeks my sinuses started getting bad as the Santa Ana winds blow in from the high desert here in San Diego, CA and I have had more days now lately where my sinuses flared up and a lot of sneezing again, so I got another ecstasy pill to take when I had another spell of sneezing and I could have a day off from work to test it out.  This time I only took half of the pill and Lo and behold it worked again!
I'm not sure if I want to take this drug very much and may just experiment with taking as little as possible to see it it still works. Like a half or less of the tablet.   I am going to give you a quote from a person who used ecstasy a lot and let her describe it, but there is something in that drug that dries you up and I think someone who know about pharmacy & tests pharmaceuticals could look into it further, may be a way to get a pill or liquid dose that could help us all out.

Here is her excerpt: ("I took E every day for 2 years, & it messed me up bad, I had a complete mental breakdown. When I first started doing it it was awesome. I loved it so much I got hooked. It is a mood enhancer, it increases the seratonin in your brain, which makes you feel happy, euphoric, peaceful, & loving. If you abuse it like I did though, the seratonin has a hard time replenishing itself, & you get the opposite affects, paranoia, depression, anxiety. So if you do decide to try it, only do it occasionally, like on the weekends, & you only need 1 tablet the 1st time. I still do it, but only 3 times a week, & my buzz is wicked again, like it used to be.")

So I recommend getting some for those times when you start sneezing and can have some time to mellow out without having to work too much.  That's my 2 cents for what its worth, and I'm happy I've discovered something that works for me and will for you too. Just do it in moderation please.
My girlfriend has the same thing. Violent sneezing and watery eyes all day with no other symptoms. The next day she is fine with little or no sneezing. It happens to her more often (once a month) in winter than in summer (once every few months). She had an allergy test done and it showed that she wasn't allergic to anything. She just got done with a very strict candida diet while taking Candex and probiotics. She just had a sneezing day yesterday so that didn't affect it.
I've had this problem for awhile.  I've been sneezing all day long today.  
My girlfriend reckons this happens a day or 2 after I drink beer, that it might be the yeast in the beer.

I feel cold, like a chill but can also feel hot, kind of sweaty at the same time.  It's a strange sensation.

It's very draining and embarrassing, especially now with the Swine flu out break.  

The days it happens, it very hard to get anything done.

Have been taking the plant extract 'Luffa Complex'   it hasn't stopped it, but has helped a little.  
It also comes in a nasal spray

Peace

Sneezers unite! At least it is reassuring to know there are so many others out there. I too sneeze all day long; normally, I have to simply go home and lie down because I can't function. Plus, if I'm at the office, sitting at my desk with kleenex stuffed up my nose is quite a lovely picture! I have been:  allergy tested (zip); to a ENT specialist who promptly gave me steroid nose spray (which gave me a raging headache); and to a naturopath who practices biofeedback who is convinced it is related to my colon. I did a cleanse and sure as shootin' I was good for almost 6 months (I had been having at least one episode a month prior)! But now, I have started again. 3 episodes this month alone, one of which was preceded by a scary 2 days of vertigo. So, whatever it is is still with me. I have also done the nasal wash thing. It's OK and likely has some benefits, but it doesn't stop the sneezing.
My sympathies to all fellow sneezers.  What's going on????

This has only started happening to me in the last month (I'm 37). I've always sneezed in summer - hayfever, drinking milk /eating milk products, rubbing my eyes, old dust in charity shops, old books, cats, my body temperature changes (i.e. after excercise).  I have avoided parks and these situations, with a combination of antihistamines and nasal sprays I was sorted!  All under control for 13 years.........but no!....lately, I have developed what you all seem to have, chronic sneezing in winter!   This is not the sort of sneezing I get from allergies, just a small breeze or my own breath sets me off!  From the time I open my eyes in the morning to the time I fall asleep I sneeze uncontrollably and my nose is constantly tingling.  It's draining trying not to sneeze, otherwise I would sneeze none stop - It's so embarressing and I can no longer function.   I recently used my usual miracle nasal spray and this made my sneezing 10 times worse!  Antihistamines don't even touch it.  Is there a name for this condition?  Has somebody been fully diagnosed? Are there any legal solutions out there?  To the guy who mentioned the 'Ecstasyremedy' I don't doubt you, but I'm not brave enough to take it, not being one to want to touch illegal drugs at all - they trained me well at school and scared me senseless.   Since Ecstasy seems to work, does this mean we're run down or have a chemical deficiency?  Hey doctors out there....is anyone investigating this?  I don't want to hear about pollen and allergies, this is different.

Fo now I'm going to change my laundrey liquid which I recently started using (it's 'green' and I've just read it has 'limonene' which is dangerous, I wonder how this can be good for the environment in that case eh?) I have used loads of different types of detergents and have been fine.  The only other change is that I have consumed many milk products over Christmas as I was being polite, perhaps I am suffering from it now.   Did you know that cows milk we buy contains hormones....especially the processed ones like skimmed milk, also aggrevating acne?  I'll stop all milk products first then the detergent and buy a room purifier.  If that doesn't work, I'll be moving to a warm country, or even better the desert!

God bless you all.
Try Allavert (or Wallvert). It is the only medication that works for me when I get the "all day" kind of sneezing. I prefer the type that disolves in the mouth over the other kind. (Wallvert tastes like Valentines hearts, so is very pleasant)
Im 40yrs old and for the past two years I too have developed these violent very disabilitating sneezing fits I wake every morning to a few sneezes then it goes however on sunday I had my whole day of sneezing watery eyes and nasal fuid running profusely I get so agitated my head sometimes feels like its going to explode.
I have been to see the doctors on a few occasions about it and have had allergy tests all which have come back negative I have tried nasal sprays steroids etc and nothing helps I can never tell before hand that Im going to have a fit it just happens thank god I work from home as I too would have to be on the sick at these times of pure and utter torture. I have never suffered asthma or hay fever and so when I had my first attack two years ago I thought it was a bad cold oh god do I wish thats all it was,we should all be brought together for research to find what it is we all have in common or not but I am at the end of my tether and wish there was someone out there who could give me and all fellow sufferers some answers
Been so good to hear all your stories. I too suffer the same condition and it is exhausting! It first developed almost 3 years ago now and initially started after I slept at my sisters house. It ranges in frequency- sometimes it happens 3 times a week, sometimes I can go 10 days but when it starts- like all of you- I can do practically nothing. When I'm not having one of my sneezing days I still suffer from an extremely blocked nose or the occassional bout of sneezes,I'm so fed up at the moment, I can bearly remember what it was like to feel normal.

I have had the skin tests done and nothing came back. I'm now awaiting another consultation at the moment, but after reading all your stories I won't hold my breath for a cure. I have given up taking my antihisimine and steroid nasal spary; not much has changed since I have. I suspect it may be food/chemical allergy and I am trying to give up dairy and as much processed food as possible but it is VERY hard. If anyone learns somthing please don't forget to share it with us all!

Oh yeah one last thing I find that I don't sneeze much when I lie down- infact come to think of it especially when I'm in the bath??? What does that mean?  Good luck everyone
I thought I was the only one with violent sneezing fits ! The doctors say that it just acute rhinitis, but I'm trying to explain it when it happens like all of you our there, it last from 12-24 hrs. of violent sneezing, nose fountain, and then, i'm fine ! I have tried over and over to find a connection, and at first I thought it was because I had eaten very ripe bananas, or i inhaled a ton of morning pollen, but I had an episode at work, which is an enclosed Bank w/ no windows, and an Central Air system. I have never had trouble at work before so I know that it's not the A.C. system. I think that STRESS has a  LOT to do w/ it. A couple hrs. before an episode, if I get anxiety or excessive emotional stress, low and behold, Sneeze Attacks - violently- all day long.
I have showered w/ hot water to see if my hair had been full of pollen, this seems to help calm down that sneezing reflex a bit. Also laying on my back in the dark... Both these things also ease stress as well ! Maybe there is a connection !
I totally understand what you all are going through. Good luck.
Hi guys, glad to know I'm not alone: just looking this up at work because this morning I was fine but now the dreaded sneezes have started :0(

I have allergic rhinitis, I'm allergic to dust, pollen, cats, basically anything that could possibly go up my nose. Sometimes my boyfriend's deodorant will set me off, other times it's because I've had a cat on my knee for too long. My sneezing episodes (like many of you above) follow absolutely no pattern and give no warning when they're about to strike.

My GP prescribes me loratidine or cetrizine hydrochlorde, I alternate the two as loratidine doesn't work as well for me but doesn't send me to sleep! I also have a nasal spray (which makes me sneeze) and some eye drops.

Anyway, one fairly recent discovery I am going to share with you: I seemed to get the sneezes every monday, which used to be my day off (cleaning day) I put two and two together, have now changed to "Ecover" (non chemical) cleaning products and guess what? no sneezing on a monday. Just back to random sneezing  - oh, it's SO not funny! I just want to go and sleep and wake up when it's all over.....
I'm 34, have had severe sneezing fits for about 12 years and have found a home remedy that works for me so thought I would share it....

Firstly, I also will sneeze for anywhere from 4 solid hours, to overnight.. to the point where sweat profusely, get the shivers and have even passed out from sheer exhaustion ...like I have run a marathon - I know many of you know what I mean.

I also suffer from asthma which is a great bonus..

Cats, dogs, grass, pollen, soaps, perfumes - anything can get me going, but 90% of my sneezing fits are from dust mites, simply from putting on a t-shirt, jumper, resting my head on a pillow, bed linen, etc that has not been VERY recently washed (even if it is clean).. even sitting on a  fabric lounge gets me going so I had to buy leather... Its nearly always the dustmites, and they will take about a day to make a clean t-shirt a trigger if it is next to other clothes in your wardrobe... even in the dryest of houses...

1st thing: if you find yourself sneezing for no apparent reason - wash your face with warm water (as warm as you can handle, 60 degrees celcius kills dustmites, and warm water relaxes the nasal passage)... change all the clothes on your upper body, anything near your head...

If that doesn't help, then use a nasal bidee....  not comfortable at first but you get used to it.. this basically involves tilting your head sideway over a sink, pouring luke warm water through the top nostril and letting it drain out through the bottom... you only need to do it for about a minute (in between sneezes) and it will wash out any contaminants that may be causing the reaction...

Finally if you are still sneezing, have a hot shower for about 15 minutes, and keep rinsing your nose as much as possible...

I have my sneezing fits down to 25 minute AT MOST, and have had them controlled for about 2 years now.  

Oh hone thing I will add, you will need to start with a HUGE spring clean, wash all your clothes, towels, sheets, pillows at the same time, and make sure they are above 60C (120F I think).. add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil to the wash, that kills dust mites too....  if you have rugs, then get them cleaned - carpets will need a hot steam clean.  If you live in a damp area, buy some moisture absorbing tubs which sit in your wardrobe absorbing the moisture, then you throw them out when they are full...  cost about $5 each from your local department store.

Good luck all!!!

Sean.

:8)
So glad to meet you all, thought I was the only one.....
44, female, allergy/ asthma sufferer, also have IBS, so the comment about the colon link may have something to it.
Now from a young age I have not been able to eat white wheat flour products, makes me sneeze uncontrollably, runny nose etc, usually the next day.  I could eat wholemeal, however now cant eat any wheat cos of my IBS.  I have definitely been considering the red wine thing, cos I seem to start sneezing as soon as I start drinking red wine, (my mum starts sneezing uncontrollably when she drinks white wine, or eats mints, but only for a little while.  I too have the whole day sneezing, wouldn't even like to inform you how many antihistamines I took yesterday! And I wrack my brains as to what it could be.  Ok I know if I empty the vacuum, Im going to sneeze for an hour, but I can plan my life round that.
I did go to the health shop cos at my wits end. I bought and have been taking some Allium cepa, and some Euphrasia, and this has been helping to some degree, you can buy a combi homeopathic mix which is more expensive and has an extra ingredient, but it might help, I am buying them separately to keep costs down.  I also bought some Hay Max, think you can research this on the internet, its a small pot of balm that you apply round the nostrils - not noticeable, as I do like to wear an amount of makeup.  These seem to be calming things but as I say, still having the bad days.  Have bought organic wine, and onto second glass, so doing well, but feeling sneezing brewing!!   They do say that you really enjoy the things you are most allergic to though, like wine, cheese, chocolate. To anyone who is really suffering with Asthma, I, to my shame used to smoke.  I went for some electronic homeopathy.  I had a no smoking treatment that desensitizes the body, it resulted in me having hardly ever to take my ventolin anymore, and I am seriously thinking about going back for the severe sneezing even though it is expensive and means traveling.  Also when I spray my perfume in a morning this sets me off all over again with my sneezing, so I spray it closer to my body, so it doesnt fly around the room so much.  If any of this info helps anybody, I will be so pleased.
Am I the only one to find Dr. Aparna's remarks patronizing and even infuriating?  Surely I'm not the only one of us to have allergy testing. I've had allergy testing repeatedly. I've had allergy testing in five states and one foreign country. I'm just not allergic. I'm not even allergic to common allergens like cats or dogs or dust mites. I'm not even allergic to poison ivy, for crying out loud. Being told that I don't understand the nature of my problem, given a kindergarten level explanation of why the nose sneezes, kindly patted on the head, and told to avoid high pollen count hours, made me want to scream with frustration. Doesn't the good doctor realize that allergy testing is the first thing we all tried? It's just one more example of the medical tunnel vision that has prevented a solution being found to our problem.  It makes a nice little syllogism:  the only reason for sneezing is allergy, Polly sneezes, therefore Polly has an allergy. But Polly doesn't. How about THINKING instead of parroting a textbook?  Polly sneezes uncontrollably, Polly  is not allergic to anything, therefore, QED, sneezing is NOT only caused by allergies.

I've sneezed so hard and so long that I now have a permanently dislocated rib (slipping rib syndrome).  I've been told by emergency room doctors to "go back to that allergy clinic and tell them that Dr. So-and-so has been practicing medicine for thirty years, and he knows an  allergy when he sees it!"  I've had my insurance company refuse to pay for more testing because they consider the matter settled.

The bottom line is that no one really cares about finding a solution to our problem because it's just not interesting or "serious" enough. There's no treatment or solution to our condition because people like Dr. Aparna refuse to accept that their analysis is wrong, lump us in as "allergics in denial," and avoid looking for other explanations. Until they do, we'll continue to sneeze, I'll continue to displace ribs, and we'll continue to take the wrong meds in exchange for 1% relief.

Too bad we don't have someone famous with this problem. It's not glamorous enough to make a tragic Lifetime Movie or a somber 60 minutes expose, so I guess we're just stuck with it. But at least I now know that I am not alone and not nuts, and that there are plenty of other people like me out there.
I, too, have "sneezy days".  And I thought I was the only one!!  I am sorry that you all have this, but so glad to know that I am not the only one...and I am NOT crazy.

Here's my theory....I think it is not allergic, but rather an immune response.  Mine, at least, seems to be more inflammation.  I have stuffiness, but it's not mucous blocking the airways, it's inflammation.  I suspect the an inflammatory response goes a little haywire, and that causes our nasal passages to go nuts!  I can feel the swelling!  Anyone else relate to that.

What I have to do is lay down and be calm.  If I try to move, it only makes things worse.  I will sneeze for exactly 24 hours.  And then just stop.  No antihistamines work.  So, that's what makes me think it is a hyper-immune response.

Just getting water in my nose can cause this reaction.  Lack of sleep is a huge stimulant.  So are many smells and things like smoke (irritants).

((((HUGS)))  I am having a sneezy day right now (hence, I am sitting down at the computer) and I feel for all of you that suffer with this.  It's horrible because it debilitates, but it's just sneezing.  Grrr.....

Rebecca
I've tried and tried but just can't figure it out.  I too get these bouts of uncontrollable sneezing.  Just as everyone describes, if I'm not sneezing I have the feeling I'm about to sneeze which is sometimes even worse.  Typically lasts for 12 to 24 hours then gone.    

Here's a list of what I have tried so far to narrow down the culprit:

- allergy test = negative (I know I'm allergic to cats but that's it so I avoid them like the plague)

- stopped drinking any form of alcohol for a year
- stopped smoking
- completely changed diet and would remove an item (i.e diary, wheat, etc) each time I got an attack. If the removal of that food didn't work and I'd get another attack I'd add it back to my diet and remove another item, and so on.

This problem has actually made me a much healthier person since I created good habits while going through this process.

- lived in 2 different states and countless dwellings (house, condo, apartments).  I have owned the last 3 places had a/c ducts cleaned, cleaning crew come through, etc.

- have tried several different assortments of cleaning supplies, laundry detergents, personal hygeine products etc.  I switch until I have another episode then switch one item at a time like I did with the food.

To the guy who recommended Ecstasy - not cool man - Dr. Drew the guy had a show on MTV, had a radio show, and I think now does Celebrity Rehab show.. very hollywood yes I know but he talked about how Ecstasy actaully eats away at a small, yet important, part of your brain and will never regenerate - Don't take X!!!

If you want to go the illegal route smoke some pot, my roomy in college was a big pot head, when I would have sneezing episodes, I'd smoke a little and it actually seemed to work a little not always but gave better results than Claratin or other allergy medicine.  Problem with that is it's illegal, (I live in Oklahoma and we'll likely be the last state in the country to accept it for medical use).

I'm at a loss as much as the rest of you.  I love Polly's post back in July, you nailed it.  I get so irritated when someone gives me some generic BS about why this is happening to me.  "oh yeah I saw the pollen count is high".  Makes me want to scream.  Everyone wants to tell me about a friend of their's who had allergy's and started taking shots and now they don't have allergies anymore.

I like to tell them that if I had allergies that might work but theres no reason for me to be shooting a bunch of crap (which I believe MOST medicine to be) into my body since I'm not allergic.

I'm 32 and have been dealing with this since I was about 15-16 yrs old getting it about once a month or if I'm lucky once every three months.  My boss thinks I just don't want to come to work because I show up the next day looking completely fine other than a red nose.

To restate Polly's comments, I think it's not an interesting enough topic for the dr's to put time and effort into it.  I've basically given up hope.

My remedy is when I wake up and get 'that feeling" (you know what I'm talking about) I send a message to work that I won't be coming in, I get up and around eat some breakfast (that's about when I'll start sneezing, it's always lovely when your trying to eat) then I take a couple shots of NyQuil shut the blinds, turn off the lights, grab a box of tissue and go back to bed.

It's just a way of life now.
I feel your pain...really.  I have a system now, somewhat.  When I feel that feeling (I mean from the very beginning), I try Flonase (steroid), then anticoagulant nasal spray, half a bendadryl or nohist, and then lay down to calm everything.  

I have six kids, so going back to bed is not always an option, but I do lay down through out the day.  I like the NyQuil-til-it-passes approach, though! ;)

I hate this, and wish we could get answers.

(((HUGS)))
I also have had this same sneezing problem my entire life--I'll wake up with an itchy nose, then the non-stop sneezing begins, lasts until I finally go to bed, and I'm fine but exhausted in the morning.  It has happened without pattern anywhere in the world, any time of the year.  Sometimes it happens once a week, sometimes not for months, a couple of times not for a year or two.  No allergies have been found, and no medication on earth can stop this once it starts.  Like others I've found that being still helps, so does sticking a kleenex up my nose. Taking a warm shower halts this temporarily. Having a sneezing day right now.
I am sneezyandgrumpy from Dec 2009. Here to report that nothing much has changed. Had a particularly bad episode yesterday and left the office to go home and lie down. Today I have a puffy red eyelid to go along with my feeling of exhaustion. Lovely. This is a new development with my sneezes; the second time I have had this. Both my nose and puffy eyeball are inflammations and, as youngwife pointed out, must be of some autoimmune origin since I have no allergies. There are many books about this, one particularly good (and scary) one is The Autoimmune Epidemic: Bodies Gone Haywire in a World Out of Balance. It's everything from chemicals in our environment to stress and our diet. Difficult -- if not impossible -- to pinpoint. No antihistamines or pills or shots are going to help. So for now, I will continue with the only therapy that works: rest. Thank goodness my boss is understanding. Thanks everyone for your insights and comments! (Haven't tried hypnosis yet and I may investigate that.)
I too have had these horrible "sneeze days" a few times per year that always last just 1 day and have me feeling hung over the next..  I had one yesterday, Oct 31, 2010, all day with my nose was running like an open tap. These attacks always seem to coincide with precipitation whether it be rain in the summer or snow in the winter, it's the only constant variable I can pinpoint.

Thinking back they definitely occur more in the summer, the winter ones I do recall have been when it's milder, I remember one during a really big snowfall a few years ago thus with milder temps.  I've probably never had an attack when it's -20 Celsius and thus very dry outside.  Saturday night we received a small dusting of snow in Montreal, (yes very early even by our standards) and when I awoke Sunday AM the sneezing started.  

In the past though sparingly in the past year, I would have small sneeze attacks after stepping out of the shower in the morning and it would go away after getting dressed, these "shower attacks" don't happen as often anymore.  

Another variable is that we moved into a brand new house and my attacks haven't been as numbered, yesterday's was probably only the 2nd or 3rd in just over a year.

There has to be another variable though, as I don't have sneeze attacks every single time it rains or snows.  On past occasions the sneezing would not start until I would get to the office, whereas yesterday's started even before I stepped foot outside.  I'm wondering if the "shower" sneezing had anything to do with mold/humidity in the shower.  

Besides this I am a healthy individual who has no allergies, I eat relatively well (no processed food as other have mentioned in here), I don't smoke and I drink sparingly. We could probably dust our place more often but I'm convinced the issue is meteorological related as opposed to plant or dust allergies.
I, too, have haywire allergies that don't show up on allergy scratch testing.  Before I became pregnant, they were REALLY bad, sneezing, coughing all night long, conjuctivitis, siritis, exercise-induced asthma, and hives hives hives.  Pregnancy took it all away, and when I became pregnant again, baby #2 brought it all back :(  

Allergens do come in through the air and through the foods we eat.  Lots of people touched on managing the air quality stuff so I''ll just add that I'm trying a probiotic to help, to see if improving my GI health might help.

I don't think that this isn't studied because it's not glamourous or interesting....I think it's really complicated and therefore difficult to diagnose.  Perhaps some of us don't have "allergies" that would show up on a scratch test, but the combination of things we're sensitive too (e.g. dustmites, red wine, caffeine, and mold) overload our systems?  

One last thought on the ectasy (hope most people didn't try this one!!), is that as a street drug it is totally uncontrolled by the FDA or any drug safety governing body and could therefore kill you, cause permanent nerve or brain damage, or just poison you so PLEASE stay away from things that your pharmacist hasn't given the OK to?
My symptoms are exactly like those described in the original post by RecordBreaker.  I am wondering if this is not an allergy at all but some sort of autoimmune deficiency.  My physician noticed that my white blood cell count is on the "low side" of normal several years ago and it seems to hover there.  I wonder if there is a connection between low white blood cell counts and this type of autoimmune response.  Perhaps we are experiencing a physiological overreaction to some sort of environmental stimuli (weather changes, etc).  I'm wondering if any of you have noticed the same on your blood test results?

Thanks!
Me, too!  Joining the community in case someone finds a remedy.
I commiserate with all of you, as I suffer too from a fit of sneezing, inflamed and irritated sinuses when there is a weather change, mostly due to cold or humid weather system and getting out of bed which I think is triggered by the slight temp change.  Barometric change and stress are also big triggers.
No conventional meds have helped me, I'm trying to explore relaxation, visualization and meditation type things b/c although not a magic cure I have found some relief when laying down, closing eyes and putting my palms over eyes and upper cheeks and then trying to relax visualize soothing yellow light surrounding my flooding all my irritated sinuses.  Sounds hokey - I know but I've suffered all of my life, and sinuses are my achilles heal - so I'm still trying to find things that help - and will continue to do so and share if I find anything that is effective.
I thougtht the "kapytalist" - had a good "out of the box" inquiry/thinking about white blood cell level connection - because it is like an auto-immune type disorder.
Thinking of all of you fellow sufferers.
has anyone damaged their adams apple when sneezing? ouch
I will just ditto the symptoms here, failed treatments, etc.  I'll have a normal day, then the next day when I stand up out of bed it starts and is so bad the only relief is to go to bed.  Then the next day fine, on and on.  Doctors don't find anything.

I have recently had blood work done and I did have a low white blood cell level with no explanation or concern on medical front. Maybe "kapytalist" is onto something.  I've had an 'out of the box' thought.  I'm not a conspiracy theory type...but I've noticed an increase and change in patterns (grids) in con/chem trail activity overhead lately.  I live in Utah and I've looked up and wondered what's up with that and now this maddening condition.  Just a thought.  

Healthy female, age 56, 5'5", 130 lbs.  My appetite has increased due to the fatigue of the full-body sneezing - and eating to try and ease the itch that starts the sneezing.

Thanks - I'll post if I get any information and I'll be watching here and hoping for any information.  All the best.
I never thought I would find anyone with the same symptoms as I have, but there are so many. I am 26, male from India.

My doctor attributed this to Eosonophil (a type of White blood cell) being high in my body. I don't know if it really connects with red wine or IBS, I have been suffering right from my childhood as far back as I could remember. And yes no medication helps after the onset of sneezing.
I am having a bad sneezy day myself.  It feels like someone has shoved a feather up the right nostril, quill first.  The sensation borders on pain, causing me to sneeze constantly, my nose to run, and my eye to swell and run tears, all only on the right.  There is a spot on that side, right where the cartilage starts, that is the focal point of the discomfort, feels like a nerve gone crazy.  After reading all the comments, I am sure all will agree, can't somebody just come up with some nasal spray or swab to numb the doggone thing!!!!!  I would pay a lot!
I have googled my problem many times, this is the first time I found you all! I too thought I was alone. I don't know anyone else who has this and whenever I am having one of those days, people think I'm sick and/or they tell me to try this, that, or the other. I have tried everything, netty-pot, every prescription medication and spray, saline flushes. I know I am allergic to cats and Ihave a few, but I am fine in between, then all of a sudden I have a bad sneeze day. 100 times!!! I work as a nurse - once the liquid was running out of my nose as I bent over to help a patient, embarassing. I wear face masks and explain that I don't have a cold, just allergies. I too cannot figure it out, although I generally don't sneeze in the shower, and sneeze less if I lay down. I have to carry a box of tissues with me. At night on the day of the sneezing, I get very congested (nose only) - the nostrils feel totally clogged and I have to breathe through my mouth - the next morning I am better, by late morning or early afternoon I feel much, much better. I have now encased all of my bedding, have dust-free cat litter, have been to allergists, internists, am now getting allergy shots to see if it helps.  My latest move is to buy a new Air Storm vacuum cleaner which is supposedly the best in terms of no dust leaking from the bag. I wear a mask over my nose when I vacuum or clean the itter box. I also just bought a very expensive air purifier - I haven't received either of these yet. I bought a humidifier thinking that may help, not sure yet if it is better or worse, I think it is having no effect so I will probably return it. I bought a JiffySteam Cleaner as well hoping the steam may kill some of the dust mites. I have spent a lot of money and time trying to fix this problem and I can't - it is so frustrating! I hate these sneeze days - I will keep looking for a solution and hope you will too so we can all share.  Thanks!
SNEEZERS UNITE!

I’m a 33 year old male.  I’m relatively healthy and of an average height and weight and just to echo what a number of others have already said, it’s so good to hear that there are so many others in the same situation as me.  There’s no obvious reason why the sneezes start.  I wake in the morning and I can instantly tell if my first sneeze is normal or if it’s one that’s telling me it’s the sign of things to come for the rest of the day.  If it’s the latter, a grey cloud appears over me and won’t budge until the next day.  Even though I know they’ll do little good, I OD on a host of antihistamines – Benadryl, Loratadine, Clarityn, Beconase nasal spray etc.  However, the sneezing continues, coupled with a feeling of fatigue and lethargy, until the early evening.  The sneezes generally ‘dry up’ at this time but my nose is left stupidly congested.  Moreover, I’m left exhausted and have to retreat to bed early.  The next day the sneezing has all but ceased and I’m feeling considerably less congested but I do feel like I’ve been partying and had very little sleep.  My last sneeze day was Saturday (22nd Jan 2011) and it was horrendous. Having two small children made what should have been an enjoyable day with the family a pretty horrible one.  My wife largely understands as the symptoms are there for her to see and hear.  However, the complete debilitation that comes with them is more difficult for her to fathom.  All I want to do is lie down in a darkened room and try and sleep them off as it’s all but impossible to function normally.

I too have had allergy tests and whilst they have revealed I am allergic to some things, most of them are very obscure, such as chemicals found in paint and other substances I rarely come into contact with.  My attacks can happen at any time of the year and, if anything, are less frequent during the summer when pollen is prevalent.  I too have considered alcohol to be a possible cause but I can go weeks drinking the same beer and there’s no problem and then suddenly I’ll get a sneeze day.  Diet as well has been suggested but it’s hard to pinpoint a possible offender as it’s very rare that I’ve eaten anything out of the ordinary the day/night before an attack.  The doctor has always been  somewhat dismissive of the problem and seemingly isn’t willing to investigate beyond the allergy tests and suggesting I take antihistamines on a daily basis so as to hopefully prevent an onslaught.  I’ve been taking a daily dose of them for years now but they have little or no effect.  If I didn’t take them, then maybe I’d have attacks more frequently, but I’ll never know as I’m not taking the chance.

Judging by what’s been said previously, there’s no silver bullet for this and those who suffer should do so in silence (haha).  Apologies if anything’s been suggested already, but does anyone know of any herbal/natural remedies that may have an effect?

Good luck my fellow sneezers.  
To Benson.

What was the weather like this past Saturday. I see you are in the UK where you get your fair share of precipitation, do you notice that your sneezing happens to occur more so on rainy days?

I haven't had an attack since Oct 31, 2010.  As I've stated above (post from Nov 1st, 2010), the only common denominator with my sneeze attacks seems to be precipitation but even that doesn't make sense because if that was the case I would be having these sneeze fits every time it rains.  Does anyone get these the sneezes when coming out of a morning shower?
I have been having sneezing, runny nose EVERY DAY since over a year ago. None what so ever before that. I will sneeze and have runny nose in the morning and would go away after few hours, it will comes back again at night and start over. This is even worst when I am travel, different countries, different states, different season, sneezing & runny nose all day long. I did allergy test and shows that I'm allergic to dust mites, horses and so on. But really? Different environments and climates makes it worst? That does not make sense. All those countries, places can't be dust polluted that bad, even in the winter for pete sake! I usually take Claritin-D which seem to help somewhat, still have them but not as bad...some times it does not work at all. Doctors prescribed nasal sprays that does not work,tried acupuncture, nothing. Even tried the holistic approach by serum drop containing allergens and still does not work!   I have to use lotion tissue to prevent my nose from hurting. Please help if anybody has a cure!
Hey all, glad i found this page.

I've been sneezing for 24 hours straight. At first I kinda laughed it off but it's not so funny when you're up all night and ca't sleep because of it.

My nose is literally streaming constantly and my nose is bright red and soo sore. Had to go into college today after a night of being awake and it feels worse than a hangover at this stage. I'm just completely worn out from it.

If  it keeps happening I'm going to the doctor in the morning, it's not fun at all!!

Here's what I know....1. I smoked and drank heavily friday and saturday night, was hungover sunday and the sneezing started monday (yesterday). I usually don't drink or smoke so maybe this has something to do with it?             2. Its the first day of spring so maybe there's allot of pollen in the air but this wouldn't go on for 2 days would it?

22 female here (i know i'm allergic to dust but our house is v.clean and wash my clothes above 60)
I have not seen a Dr. or anything yet but this is getting worse and worse as the weeks progress.
My sneezing has been happening maybe 5 sneezes at a time every 2-5 minutes for hours and hours upon days and weeks on end.
clean house and dust isn't a problem nor is pollen.
It started in Winter and is now Summer and i am still sneezing, i will be back to collage soon

Some pointers maybe before i go back to the doctors (again) for something new
I thought I was the only one whose suffering this way! I've searched for years and this is the first time I've come across people having the exact symptoms as I. Most of the sites suggest that rehearsed lines allergy tests, don't drink, don't smoke, avoid dust, etc. I don't drink or smoke, and I am quite healthy. So I do not related to those articles at all. I have seen doctors in 4 different countries in 2 continents, and they didn't find any problems, just suggested to take anti-histamines and over the counter medications which does not make any difference when I get these sneezing-episodes. Like you all have described, on-set of uncontrollable sneezing leads to blockage of airways, feel exhausted, puffy red eyes, etc.

Managing regular sleep-cycles, staying away from irritants like smoke, certain smells, warm showers helps a bit... but does not totally avoid such days.

So far I think @youngwife and @paulatutor have described the best described the symptoms and probabilities. And @kapytalyst , I wonder if you are onto something. I will go test my white blood cell count, and if it turns out to be low, we can rule that as a common denominator?

Thanks all for sharing! I feel what you are going through!

sneezy day,
cszwarc
I have nothing to add regarding symptoms or treatments. The only thing that excites me is there are actually other people that suffer from what I do. I take two allergy shots a week, prescription antihitamines twice a day, two nasal sprays as needed and NOTHING helps. I sometimes feel like I am going to be the first person to die from Benedryl overdose, but mentally that makes me feel like I am at least trying to deter the symptoms. Hopefully there will be help for us someday...my prayers to all
I had a sneezing day yesterday I get them once a month or once every two months. There is no rhyme or reason and yes it is exhausting and I am a pretty strong physical guy!. I was thinking maybe food related but really I am clueless. I just know the tickle in the sinus and it just goes and goes. Like everyone else nothing stops it. Maybe it is some kind of buildup over the weeks and then all hell breaks loose!
I am going to bookmark this page and keep an eye on posts
Bill
Hi friends, unfortunately I also caught up with this non curable disease. I sneeze out of anything. Any kind of fragnance, like soap/deo/perfumes are main dangers. My nose is so sensitive that even if I rub it, it tickles the allergy. My allergy is of kind that I almost sneeze hundred times a day and literally cant focuss on my work..This problem is taking a tol out of my body.
Dust/AC/air browling straigt on face are also few more reasons which tickels my nose.

Please please let me know if you know of any doctors or any medicine as such.

you can email me on ***@****
Hello all
I also suffer from uncontrollable sneezing every once in a while, it's terrible, like today. All weekend I was perfectly fine (visited botanical gardens and had picnic) and then as soon as I get to work this morning I just cannot stop sneezing and my nose is continuously running. I had to leave work early and come home. And I am still sneezing violently, I just feel exhausted after a day of sneezing! One of the worst parts is the feeling in my nostrils, it is so raw and feels like someone if shoving something up them and tickling, it is terrible. My nose is completely blocked and when I try and blow it, it hurts too much, I have to leave it. I THINK I suffer most when I am in air conditioned areas - for example I had it towards the end of a long haul flight twice, and when I'm at work in the office, which has air conditioning running all day. But then I do not get the violent sneeze days everyday and I am at work all week.My doctor said I had acute sinitis and gave me a Nasonex nasal spray which I don't think has helped really. It hurts terribly when I spray it up my nose. I have also taken cetirizine and hyperpoll which the pharmacist gave me one day when I had a bad day sneezing, and it sent me to sleep after an hour, which I think has been the most effective.
I am at my wits end! If anyone has ANY tips I would be SO GRATEFUL,
A fellow sneezer :-(
Yes I have suffered random sneeze attacks for years. I find mine quite often happen the day after I've been out drinking and feel a bit hungover. My last episode was last Saturday but I'd been drinking beer and spirits the night before- no red wine. Also, it doesn't happen every time I go out drinking. And sometimes it happens with temperature change, like if I've been out in the cold playing football then go indoors I get sneezing fits. A bit of Nasonex did relieve it a bit the last time but generally I just have to ride it out and be thankful it normally happens on a weekend day.
I dunno, but I've just found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACHOO_syndrome

The name sounds like a joke (ACHOO anyone?).  I'm yet to read it thoroughly and doubt I'll understand a lot of the medical jibber jabber but might be worth a look.

Since my last post in January I've had one further attack.  Again, no obvious perpetrator; just woke one morning and along they came.  It was f*cking agony.  The kids initially laughed but eventually they even got irritated by their Dad's noise making and general inability to do anything.  I reckon I average somewhere in the region of 5 or 6 attacks every year.  

Man, f*ck this sh!t.  I'm gonna protest outside the House of Commons, insisting research is done.  Maybe start a charity or something.
March 2001 doctors visit:
Sudden onset of pins/needles and pain in right side of body - head, neck, arm, hand, knee, ankle.
Swelling on outside of r. knee and outside of r. ankle.
R. eye vision affected plus eye twitching every second. R. ear discomfort and hearing affected.
Discomfort breathing in right side of chest.
Head hurts not from head ache, but pinched nerve pain. Pins and needles in right side of scalp feels almost maddening from discomfort. I have to place my right hand on my head, push, to relieve pressure.
Over all not feeling well at all.

Doctor said not to worry about anything, it is all fibromyalgia. Placed me on Savella.

Every area I had pins and needles went to numbness and itching. Imagine having your arm, leg, ankle, foot, and right side of your head to go to sleep. It was hard to walk, hard to use my arm, etc. I noticed blood on fingers after scratching my head. I could not feel I caused abrasions from scratching. So I had to be very careful scratching. For days I massaged my skin it was very numb/dead feeling.
I started taking aspirin and this helped relieve the pain the first day. And in 3 days the swelling in the knee area and ankle area, plus the pins and needles, and numbness lessened greatly. (Except in my scalp and right side of my head).

Four days ago, my sneezing started. It was so hard and often, I decided to count the sneezes. It was over 400 times in an hour. I layed down, I stopped sneezing. Got back up and in a few minutes it started again. I am week and feeling horrible from sneezing. Day 2, 3, and 4, sneezing has lessened to a normal sneeze. Can this be related to my other issues? Or perhaps an allergy on top of the other issues.

April's doctors visit:
Doctor still not concerned what so ever with symptoms. He states pins and needles and all symptoms are from fibromyalgia. He said it was the savella that helped...I say it was the aspirin and savella. The savella has helped somewhat. I had no relief till the aspirins.

Does any doctor ever visit this forum and answer questions?  I mentioned to my DO on both visit, that I question if many of these symptoms are from the pinched nerves in the higher region where my head connects to my neck? I suggested that I be referred back to the neurologist. He states it is fibromyalgia and ignores my request to be send me back to the neurologist.

Signed,
Worried about my health, will this be lifelong and will it continue to do damage to my body, plus...is it fibromyalgia causing everything.

Hi, Sneezing is a protective reflex which occurs secondary to exposure to the irritant or allergen, which helps to blow out the irritant. In some individuals there will be Airway hyperresponsiveness due which there can be either allergic rhinitis (mild to severe form) or asthma.

There is particular neuronal mechanism exists. When ever you are exposed to allergen there will be release of histamine, this is responsible for sneezing.You need to identify such allergen and prevent further exposure. This measure is sufficient as you have milder form of allergy.

Neuronal symptoms can be due to radiculopathy due to spinal nerve root compression, severe Vitamin B 12 deficiency, diabetes or acid reflux esophagitis. You need to undergo blood sugar, radio imaging of thoracic and cervical spine etc. to rule out the cause. You need to take diet (meat liver) rich in Vit B12 or its supplements (oral or intramuscular injection) against prescription. I suggest you to consult physician and get evaluated. Take care and regards.

Take care and regards.
Ok, if it's *just* something that has irritated my nasal passages, then why does not getting enough rest bring it on??

Why, then, does laying down make things better???

Why, then, does antihistamines NOT work. ever. never!!!

Why, then, does this cause me to feel like I have the flu for exactly 24 hours???

And why, then, does not every sneeze bring this on?  

For me, there are normal sneezes....and then there are my sneezy day sneezes.  They are not the same at all!!!

Sometimes, when I try to ignore things, they escalate to the point that I feel as if I can't breathe when I sneeze!!  

I am thinking it's like a Sneeze-Variant Asthma! lol!

And, I still contend that it has an auto-immune component.  If I had insurance, I would love to seek out a doctor that would listen to me!  But, since I don't...I will just have to suffer.

Bless you to you all!

Rebecca
I also have the same weird sneezing thing.  Nothing worked like it did for my normal allergies.  It is true that it is worse in the morning for me, and seems to occur when the weather changes (in any way after a period of one kind of weather).  The only thing that has worked for me is a rx nasal spray called Astelin. (http://www.astelin.com/) I have tried other nasal sprays, like rhinocort, etc, but they never helped.  This one is awesome.  Best of luck to my fellow sneezing/allergy sufferers.
Well....here we are.  Another sneezy day.  Waaaaaahhhh!  I hope no one else is having trouble.  

I hate to be a whiny complainer...but I really don't like sneezing right now. :(
I'm 34 years old and began getting these awful violent hours-long sneezing attacks when I was 25, during a trip to south Florida.  I can get the attacks weekly or every couple months.  My nose runs like a faucet and it itches, along wit my runny itchy eyes.  The sore throat misery inducing sneezes are just a bonus.

I also had allergy resting done and was diagnosed with Vasomotor Rhinitis or non-allergenic rhinitis. AKA, I'm allergic to nothing, BUT atmospheric changes in the weather (changes in pressure, humidity, temperature, etc...) can set me off, along with colognes, perfumes, etc...

The weather is my culprit.  I get attacks when the temp swings (60F yesterday to 90F today = misery).  Before storms, etc... I'm sneezing away.

So, I know my culprit, and have been able to control it with prescription antihistamines (calrinex & nasonex), as long as I took the medication at the beginning of the attack.  Most recently, though, it does nothing.  Zero effect.  

Nothing I take even dampens the attack, and I have no idea what to try anymore :-/. There has got to be a solution out there, no???
Another sneezy day today and feeling really drained !! as all previous posts I to am glad that i am not the only 1 suffering although i do feel for you all !!

I have also had allergy tests etc and have tried over the counter medicines and have even been given steroid injections from my gp but nothing works!!
I live in the uk and it was chucking it down yesterday and bright and sunny today so could it be linked to the weather change?
I also had a low white cell count on my blood tests but not concerning my gp as it was only slighly low !!!

any help would change my life  !!!

please anyone with a cure please post

regards  simon
Simon,

I too live in the UK (Solihull, near Birmingham) and suffer with this ridiculous ailment.  However, I don’t think I really buy into this theory about a change in the weather possibly being responsible.  I was outside all day on Sunday (at a party, drinking beer steadily from about 1.30 to 8.30pm) when it was overcast, then experienced the rain all day on Monday and the nice, sunny weather yesterday.  However, I didn’t get the sneezes.  On the recent occasions I’ve got the sneezes I’ve considered the weather but it hasn’t been significantly changeable to be the likely cause.  

Mine would appear to occur quite randomly, but the more I’ve thought about it, I believe I’m more susceptible when I’m tired, usually caused by too much beer.  For example, a few Saturday’s ago, I went out and had quite a lot to drink (only beer, no wine or anything else).  The following day, hung-over but without the sneezes, I was persuaded to go to the pub to watch the football in the afternoon, where I had another five pints of beer, between 3.30 and 6pm.  It was the next day, the Monday, again feeling slightly hung-over and understandably rundown from consuming too much ale the previous couple of days, that the sneezes started with a vengeance.  I must stress though that it isn’t just these sort of instances when I get the sneezes; it just seems likely that on the odd occasion when I do burn the candle at both ends I’m more prone to an attack.  It could simply be coincidence, however.  

I’m reluctant to solely blame beer, as not only do I like it too much, but I have a drink most nights (only a single bottle/can though).  Certain foods have been suggested as a possible cause.  Spicy ones, in particular.  This theory, for me at least, is more believable than the weather one.  I’ve developed the sneezes the day after having a curry from a curry house we don’t usually go to.  So whether they used different spices and/or ingredients I don’t know.  Again, this could be coincidence, but suffice to say we stick to the same curry house now.  The beer and food theories aside, I can still get the sneezes when I haven’t been out on a session for ages or had a curry the night before.

At the moment I take a single Loratadine tablet before bed and two squirts of Beconase up each nostril morning and night.  I’ve taken Beconase in the past but, after my last attack those few Monday’s ago, I’ve been taking it religiously and my nose is feeling clearer and less sensitive (kiss of death there).  

Judging from what I’ve read on this forum, there’s no cure and it’s something people simply have to put up with.  It’s obviously not life threatening and consequently the doctors I’ve seen seem pretty apathetic about it and can’t suggest anything other than the obvious.  Regrettably, “put up or shut up” would seem to be the answer.

All the best mate

Rob
I am having a super-sneezy day today & just knowing that I am not alone has helped me more than anything else has.  Thank you all for your comments.  
I'm going for allergy testing in 2 days, but am fearful that I won't get any real answers.  If that is the case, I am going to visit a holistic doctor here who has a concentration on allergies and see what she has to say.  
I will say this: one time when I went to my monthly acupuncture appointment I was having a sneezy day.  The doctor worked the usual points we do and added some for the sneezing.  I sort of rolled my eyes at that because, I mean, NOTHING stops the sneezing!
But, to my amazement, it worked.  It felt like everything inside of my body that was buzzing around making me feel sneezy just suddenly stopped in its tracks.  My nose stopped running and I had a complete sense of stillness inside...like if you were to put a wet towel on top of a pile of dust.  I know it sounds crazy.  But I left his office and did not sneeze again for several days.  
This is what makes me think that some of the comments about stress and autoimmune disorders are on track.  Acupuncture is about restoring the body's balance and flow.  I'm going for the allergy testing because I think I may also have asthma.  Once I find out what is wrong with me I am going to follow the allergist's orders and also have my file sent to the acupuncturist.  Oh, and this condition is hampering my life so much that I am willing to pay whatever it takes to get fixed...I have crappy insurance that won't cover my allergy testing, and of course acupuncture isn't covered.  I'm just sooo tired of feeling this way and having my kids and husband suffer when I can't participate in activities or just in daily life. :(
wow so im not alone its awful it really is having a day like it 2day and i hate it  every1 in my house feels so sorry for me but their is nothing that can be done
its also so painful and i have 2 wear a pad had  it makes me wet myself its so bad i have an appointment with the ears nose and throat specialist on the 15th hope they can help
Yep, another sneezy day for me.  Anyone here on Singulair?  I am suspcious that it might would help, since it also helps with Asthma.  Just curious!

Bless you to you all!

Rebecca
Hi. I think this is more a nutritional issue. I grew up in a household that ate lots of meat and dairy, and sugary foods. I was very allergic to cats and dogs and had very bad hay fever, in my teens I became very weight conscious and don't remember allergies being a big problem. I became a hatha yoga practitioner and became. Vegetarian then vegan.

I moved back in with my mom about a year ago and have had the extreme violent sneezing you all write about.debilitating and antihistamines don't work, etc...

I like the autoimmune theories and stress too.  I think it is also too much mucus in the intestinal track, I think it is undigested meat rotting--sorry. The insides...I have experimented with this at my moms. Became vegan again and zero allergies, sneezing, whatever. Just nothing, and no mucus, no boogers..nothing. I also think gluten is a culprit much as I hate the trendy food fetish thing. If you are a person who can stand to fast, a fast clears everything right out. A diuretic tea at night (smooth move) and I like the master cleanse (google) it works very well and quickly flushes excess mucus from the body, you know, out the other end. I am going to start tomorrow. Will report back. Worth a try.
I need to clarify that when I moved back in with my mom I began eating as I did in my childhood again, meat every night, lots of dairy and desserts over a period of months..phlegm!!!
It is so good to know I am not alone.  I'm having a sneezy day right now.  Ugh!  I can go for 2 or 3 weeks and be absolutely fine and then boom.  The sneezing always starts in the morning and lasts until the next day.  I usually get these attacks on weekend days.  I do have allergies to pollen and dust mites as well as some chronic nasal congestion.  I lost my sense of smell completely in 2007 due to a sinus infection, but it has come back maybe 15%.  I wish someone could get to the bottom of this.  I find the most striking commonality among the posters here is the fact that these attacks start in the morning, last all day into the night, and then are gone the next day.  This syndrome has to be something specific with a specific treatment.  Antihistamines don't make a dent in one of these attacks.  Best wishes to everyone.
I'm so sorry to see others are suffering from this also - but it's nice for me to know that I'm not crazy. I've been tested and know I am allergic to dust mites and have taken all kinds of antihistamines. They usually take care of the problem pretty well. But lately I've started sneeze days just like has been described here that antihistamines can't touch. I have a very expensive air filter that works well for allergies but it doesn't help with this. I've OD'd on antihistamines and tried the neti pot but nothing stops this misery! My nose runs clear liquid constantly, I have puffy, watery eyes. I totally relate to youngwife and benners36 - I feel exactly the same with inflamed nasal passages and there's a point up in there that if I could just numb the damn thing the sneezing would stop. I'm exhausted from sneezing and I can't sleep for sneezing which makes it even worse. Obviously going to the Dr. isn't going to help, more antihistamines anyone? Interestingly enough, I have been diagnosed with low white blood cell count in the past. I noticed a couple others mentioned this.
I'm going to try the recommended colon cleanse and acupuncture I read about here. I'll let you know how it affects me.
Also for those with a sore nose, at the end of all of it, if you coat all the sore spots with a little bit of A & D Ointment before you go to bed it will feel so much better in the morning. I do the same thing with dry, cracked skin on my fingers in the winter. It's like a miracle heal. I'll certainly keep an eye on this conversation. Good luck to us all.
I too suffer from chronic, uncontrollable sneezing from time to time. I also get my share of sinus infections and all night coughing (hacking) sessions. I've been to "specialists" who said my problems were due to fact that I'm a mouth breather. I've been to allergists who say I'm allergic to mold spores. I took allergy shots for years. Had my house checked for mold, there was none found. So here I am years later still suffering. However, there are a couple of things that do help me. I find that working up a good sweat at the gym or running and then taking a hot shower will give me relied or just splashing my face with very warm water. I think we are all different and unfortunately it will take some trial and error to find what works for you. For example, try changing soap or perfume. Change your diet or limit alcoholic beverages, cut out dairy products etc. We all need to be proactive here because that doctor is probably not going to find the solution in his medical books. More than likely he will put you on some expensive and/or painful treatment that will get you nowhere. Good luck to all:)
hi All...

I am finding people here with the same symptoms which I also experience many days. Let me share my knowledge and experience about this.

I have read that whenever we get exposed to some allergens, Histamine is released from our nose as a reaction. Sometimes, it continues for many hours and we get continuous sneezing. And, I agree on this because it happens exactly the same what I have read.

Now, I have observed allergens for me in the form of dust, smoke, cold air, air conditioned room, rain or cold shower, ice creams or cold drinks, or sudden change of temperature and few other factors.

Sometimes, when I am sweating and drink water then I start sneezing in few minutes, or if I come to a cold room after walking in sunshine.

The effect of all is same and that is itchy nose, red eyes, uncontrolled sneezing. and unfortunately, I never got a good practically resulting answer from any doctor other than medicines list.

I have tried few things what I got by googling and have got little improvement.

Few things which we as a victim must take care of:-
1. Wear jacket or anything warm to avoid effect of cold air.
2. Should avoid sudden change of temperature exposed to body like suddenly going in AC room or coming out of AC room into warm place.
3. Must strictly cover nose to avoid dust or smoke.
4. Must dry our hair and body if drenched in rain.
5. Avoid taking very cold beverages/ice creams. Atleast must not take before or after tea or something hot.
6. Sometimes, we have allergy to pollens and there is no alternative other than leaving that area.

But, still after taking precautions we may get sneezing due to any other factor. I normally drink some amount of Rum or brandy. Mostly, I get immediate relief and suggests all to try if you can.

Secondly, I inhale the smoke of burning Turmeric wood. In India, we have this as a part of Ayurveda treatment. It also helps most of the times.

Thirdly, Do regularly some breathing exercises to clear nasal passage and lungs. This will result after few days of continuous practice only.

Lastly, take vit C rich diet. We can take 1 tsp Gooseberry juice (Amla in hindi) twice daily to increase our immunity for all the causes.

Third and last will take some time to show effects. So, we can try first and second steps or anti-histamine medicines for immediate results.

I hope you can easily try these and see some changes after 3-4 weeks of contiuous efforts.

Anytime, we can google more and try best for ourselves....

regards,
Narendra

Just wanted to say that I'm seeing more questions than answers in this thread and that I have been researching this topic for a while and would like to offer personalized advice and suggestions to anyone who is interested in getting to the bottom of the cause and doing something about it. Let me know if you're interested and I'd be glad to help you.
I also have suffered from these sneezing/runny nose days that are just out of control. I had severe allergies as a youth and young adult but sort of out grew them. So I can tell the diff between them and this problem. I ditto many of what,s been said so I won't go into all the details. However there is one thing I'm in the process of trying and I hope will help. I picked up on the idea from someone who wrote in and said that they tried a colon cleanse/detox and got relief for 6 months. I truly believe that our bodies are full of all kinds of built up toxins that can over time mess up our immune systems or something and play a part (at least for some of us) in these crazy out of control symptoms. Ther's nothing to lose by trying it. There are many cleanse/detox products available, Let's pray that this may help!
I just learnt that I am not the only one with this condition, I have suffered from this for over 17 years now
I have a sneezing today and Google led me to this forum.

1.    This is not an allergic reaction
       The usually text book sneezing explanation does not seem to apply here.

2. Does anyone with this condition have any other Autoimmune disease?

1.    This is not an allergic reaction

Guys I think I have the same problem. When I was in warm countries all year long such as Dubai, I had no such issue but now living in Russia, Petersburg I have it. It seem to me that its because of the weather.

Here the weather changes a lot and quickly and it starts usually when the temp drops. When its a hot day I am good but when its up and down I get irritated and start snoozing.

Try to track your snoozing to temperatures and seasons to narrow it down.
I have the same thing as you do but how I can stop it. For example when I change my clothes, the touch of the cold clothes on my skin makes me start strong sneezing for couple of minutes. A slight cold wind on my face, hand, or any part of my skin triggers it as well.

In a stable warm temperature environment it goes away.
I am having a sneezing day today. I started getting these sneezing fits after completing 5k runs, it didn't happen any other times. Now I get them just out of the blue! I woke up this morning with an itchy nose, started sneezing and i haven't stopped. It makes it very difficult to function at work throught out the day. I have tried taking different allergy medications and none of them work. I have also tried using a saline nasel spray and it didn't help either. When I am at home the only thing that seems to calm the sneezing down, is if I lye down and relax, this eems to help.
I thought that I was the only one who experienced these odd symptoms, it interesting to see that there are others suffering from the same thing. It's hard to explain to your boos that you can't work because you are having a sneezing attack!
Hopefully someone will come up with a ssolution for this most irritating problem!
WOW I'm not the only one with one-day sneezing fits???  I went to the allergist for the first time today, got pricked a million times and...nothing.  I'm allergic to nothing seasonal nor dusty nor animals, etc.  I was determined to find something on it and found y'all!  I'm so thankful.  
Lately, my "sneezing fits" happen about once/month.  I noticed some of them happen on special days where I"m doing something different, which so happen to be on weekends.  I begin those "sneezing fit" days with a sneeze or two.  It gets progressively worse until I must stop what I'm doing and lay down and just be sick (when I can!  I have a husband and 3 daughters!).  I get so ill with watery eyes, incessant sneezing, an itchy face and just exhaustion.  The next day, I am fine except my ribs hurt from sneezing so much the previous day.  And then the 3rd day, my nose will peel sometimes, from rubbing it so much 2 days prior.  Oh, I'm so thankful.  Keep posting and by all means, let me know if you come up with a name for it!  Maybe we should just unite and create a name, ourselves!!!  -Adalene, metro Atlanta, GA USA
...just wanted to add that antihistamines don't help me, either.  And that I've been having these one-day sneezing fits for about 20 years or more.  When I was a child, I would have days of runny noses and such, but I don't recall it being so violent and incessant like it has been the last several years.
Please write more...this is very encouraging.  I literally walked out of the doctor's office today saying "coo-coo" about myself!!!  :o)
Just read all the posts. I thought it was just me. Symptoms described by most of you match mine exactly. I have very poor sense of smell, and a blocked nose most of the time. My sneezy days seem to occur when there is more air flow through my nose.

I do find sucking sweets helps on sneezy days and also blocking my nose off - at night with tissues and during the day when I'm away from people with my knuckles pushed up to my nostrils! Has anyone come across any sort of nostril plug that might be socially acceptable to wear in public? It just feels so anti social - everyone looks at you like you are spreading diseases. At work I take refuge in the toilet and look forward to lying down at the end of the day.
Colin, London, UK
I also suffer from these 24 hour runny nose and sneeze attacks. I've been suffering for about 10 years now and it has gradually gotten worse. Sometimes even 48 hour attacks...it is very draining and frustrating! I've tried everything from medication, air filters, diet, etc. The only thing that seems to  stop the attacks temporarily is when I exercise. If I go out for a jog or get my blood flowing somehow my sneezing goes away. Unfortunately, it returns after my work out. My only other solution is alcohol... but that only makes me a drunk and miserable. THERE'S GOT TO BE A CURE!!! Please help I dont want to have to run and drink everyday.
Hello, I have been suffering with these awful symptoms for 10+ and I also want to get to the bottom of this and find a cure or a solution. If you have any suggestions or tips please share. I have come to a conclusion that exercise is the only thing so far that helps me. I am going to start making notes when I have "sneeze days" and maybe that can clue us in. Just today I got rid of feather blankets and pillows.
Wow! This has been a very interesting reading for me....I just found this site and read all your stories.....they are absolutely the same as mine.
I'm 32 and I've been having these fits forever.
I wonder, if there's a possibility of this problem being HEREDITARY, because my mom and my younger sister have it, too.
We all were diagnosed with allergies at young age and that is our problem - NO DOCTOR would ever give the problem the second thought...they just always dismiss it as an allergy reaction.
It has nothing to do with my seasonal allergies though. These sneezing attacks are so VIOLENT and painful. I had one just yesterday and I counted 78 sneezes in a row.
I usually run to wash my face and nose and even if the sneezing subsides for few minutes, the pain inside of my nose is bad....I can literally feel the membrane inside of my nose throbbing. The sneezes got so bad, that if I don't close my eyes, the veins inside would pop and I end up with bloody eyes....that's the other misleading sign - the doctors tent to add red eyes to the allergy symptoms - I bet the eyes are runny and red, because of the pressure during the violent sneezing and not allergens in the air.

I also noticed, that tissue makes the sneezing worse...it's like the tiny particles from the paper would set yet another round of sneezing fit.

I hate this...honestly. My fiance is very sweet and understanding, but I can see he doesn't get how I can sneeze almost hundred times within 2-3 minutes. I think a lot of people around the "sneezing sufferer" are annoyed with all that sneezing....and I can even see the people making  faces sometimes - just like the last week at Jewel store....just the slight temperature change and I could feel the attack brewing inside of my nose and head. I started for the exit, but I didn't make it....I was sneezing so violently, shaking and sweating.....I couldn't even keep my eyes open and focused on the door....you could see people's horrified and disgusted faces. I felt so embarassed.
For some time now I've been trying to find all the things, that trigger the attacks in a vague attempt to see a pattern - and there is a slight pattern indeed - the lack of sleep OR too much of a sleep; the temperature change and a chill.....WEIRD! Now I'm not sure if the chill is the trigger or the secondary side effect. I have also trouble blowing my nose during the sneezing day - even the paper tissues trigger even more sneezing...and there's also a pain deep inside of my nose....it's feels like itchy/ painful throbbing up in my nose....totally different like my allergy symptoms.
I discussed this matter with my mom and a sister and they both suffer these attacks. My mom has been doing Qui-gong for over 10 years and her attacks subsided, but my sister has her worst ones in the morning after she gets up and starts moving around.

I wish there would be some answers for all of us out there....for now I wish to everybody - Hang on there! You are not alone!
Hello there!

I have the same symptoms as everyone else! I have had this since I can remember and always put it down to dust or something.

I am actually having a sneezing day right now, its really not great! Cant wait for tomorrow for when its all over! Mine starts off with a little bit of a sneeze in the morning on the way to work etc, then when im there im constantly sneezing, running nose uncontroleable, and it feels like a huge itching in my nose. It makes my eyes water and make me feel generally horrible!

I dont suffer from hayfever or anything and that never seems to affect me, when peoples hayfever comes out. Just every now and again for a day I will be totally shut down with my nose. I probably get it once a moth or something like that, no matter what the month is.

No on eelse in my family has it, its really odd. Whenever I have it, nothing helps (apart from a large glass of whisky, which sends you off to sleep) Everyone is understanding of it but it does really annoy me! Just totally takes you down for a day and then then next day you are fine!

I dont know if anyone else is the same, but if I move around, running, jumping etc it makes it a whole lot better for some reason. If I stay in the same position, like now at my desk its horrible and just gets worse.

Its great to see all of these posts of the same thing, although we all dont seem to know whats happening! Which is a bit of a shame.

Oh yeah, sitting in a steam room is pretty good for it! lol.

Anyway, ill be checking this to see more posts and keep updated! Keep strong people!

Ryan
if i had snezze early in the morning, i regularly snezze all the time.one thing is that,my room is quite cold. It made me feeling alwazs boring. If any solution.please e-mail me:santosh_phunjali***@****
I have the same itchy nose and sneezing a hundred times every morning! I have had all the allergy tests and I am allergic to dustmites !that's it! I am trying everything but looks like there is no way to get rid of them!!I wish I could find a natural way to get rid of this.
Have the same problem. Starts off always around midday with intense itching deep inside nasal passage, or sinuses. Feels like I have something crawling round in there its so intense. Then the sneezing starts, uncontrollable and literally hundreds of times. Usually subsides by the end of the day and never seems to last any longer than just a full day.

By the evening i'm wrecked, banging headache, sore guts with sneeze straining and just feeling absolutely crap, like I've been in a boxing match.

Snorting water gives some breif relief but never more than a few minutes. Likewise blowing my nose makes no difference either, I assume its some sort of allergy or reaction but what causes it is a mistery, happens every few weeks or longer, maybe every few months.
I haven't had an attack in a while, and after reading the new posts here, I can't help but wonder if it is related to the colon hydrotherapy did back in August.  
I too have these crazy! sneezing days.  I am on this blog all the time and am in the same boat!  I am a 44 year old mother of 2 active boys and when it hits there is noghting I can do.  I can take a nap and not sneeze but as soon as I wake up it starts all over again.  Its only for a day but it ruins the day.  I've noticed that its moslty on days that I have off.  Maybe its because I'm in the house longer on the mornings that I"m not running out of the house?  I feel like mid day Its plowing through my blood because I'm getting hot sweats and weak, kind of.  I also feel that if I pinch the sides of my nose it creates a series of violent sneezes so I try not to  but my nose is sooo itchy its hard to resist.  
Anyway, just wanted to chime in.  I wish there was a remedy for this but I've tried everything..
Hi I'm so glad I found this forum.  I'm suffering with the sneezing episodes too.  My whole face hurts from sneezing.  Ugghh...I don't know what to do.  Nasonex seems to help if I take it before I get the attacks, but during these attacks it does nothing.  I remember my doctor saying that it only works if you take it 5 consecutive days.  Thing is when do you know when to start taking it?  I don't have these attacks all the time only when weather changes, so usually it's too late.  And I don't want to be using the Nasonex everyday of my life.  I can't afford it because I'm on a PPO plan and it cost me about $150 for one bottle.  The only relief is when I'm taking a hot bath.  Whenever i have these sneeze attacks, I take a bath.  It relieves it temporarily.  
Hello...when i am in the house i have a sneezathon...so much so that my adenoids (adenoids) become raw and inflamed.
the bottom line is ...it is down  to mites, pollen and mould.

you have got to air your house every day.
replace all pillows once every 4-5 months.
check you dont have mice in the house.. then your finished...you godda seal the whole house, every single possible entrance for a mouse..i literally mean ripping out all the kitchen units and plastering round the pipework. checking all  tiny holes in plaster board. and gaps in skirting boards.

if mice cant get in the house then they may live under the floorboards..so if you got bare floor boards make sure you seal the gaps or the air will circulate through the gaps and into the house ...no mice in the house..but the air will be filled with mites and things that are carried through the floor boards.

keep the house dust free...i mean cleaning under cabinets and beds and cupboards...
wash curtains and lampshades regularly.
clean on the top of wardrobes with a wet cloth. and mop all hard surfaces weekly.
get any mould problems sorted.

ensure you have a clean matress under 4 years old. and always use a dust sheet on the matress. which is replaced and cleaned with bedding.

if you do all what i have said, i GUARANTEE YOU WILL STOP SNEEZING, i am a person who is allergic to everything to  do with dust ...spores ...and pollen ....and animals...and this is how i keep my home so that i dont sneeze.

it took me years of sneezing and itching and dribbling to work all this out and the doctors are no use whatsoever.
Wow, how many “I thought I was the only one!” comments have I seen...like me, Wow, I thought I was also the only one! Heck, I even thought that if I had a limited number of sneezes in my lifetime, I’ve used up my quota many times over.

Well, after reviewing the multiple sufferers (I sneeze as I write this) and for the many of you that have seen doctors, allergists, neurologists, and other such non-sufferers in the medical profession trying to pin point allergens as the primary cause of this terrible affliction, it seems to me that this symptomatic nightmare of sneezing outbreaks has yet to be documented in any AMA or International medical journal and it is clear that most doctors consider us “sneezers” as malingerers, only vying for their attention. Maybe I’m wrong about this, but the only medical advice that doctors have provided on this thread is that it is related to...or caused by...yet they lack a serious solution. But there is overwhelming evidence (by the number of posts on this site) that tell me that this is just more than an allergic reaction, but rather a physiological symptom related to sinuses; i.e., oversensitive or defective sneezers that for some reason doctor’s cannot seem to relate to...so I’ll throw out my thoughts as well. (For the doctors reading this thread, it is indeed related to the nerve-endings that work the sneezing mechanism and cause it to work overtime. I’m not a doctor, but I’ve seen a number of them and they agree...there is a physical problem here, however, they do not have a real solution.)

Having lived in many different parts of America, I have found that I suffer from these sneezing fits everywhere, and from the narratives provided by those of you who live in the UK, India, and other places, it is clear that this is ambiguous to any and every doctor. I often wonder whether they suffer from this as well. With that being said, not to put a fine point on it, having been tested several times myself (yes, the dreaded 75 pin pokers in each arm as well as enough blood tests to whet a vampires’ whistle), I am finding many commonalities; some combined, some differing symptoms.

Sneezing for an extended period; itching in the eyes, ears, nose, and throat; distended and tired/overworked muscles throughout the body; runny nose with clear fluid that will not seem to stop; and symptoms ad nauseum...

Having suffered (like so many of you) for a long period of time (years in fact) and having seen multiple doctors in many different parts of the country I have a hypothesis of sorts, which several of the doctors have agreed with in-part, although no viable solution could be found. As most doctors will agree, sneezing is a body’s defense against foreign particles that it doesn’t agree with and is trying to purge. Unfortunately, that’s just the surface of it. It is clear that our “sneezing reflex” is working just fine, in many cases “too well;” but that does not solve our problem. I can confirm (like many of you) that this is indeed a physical condition related to allergies (mold, dust, and smoke), pets...i.e., environment. Air filters, purifiers, humidifiers, and all those fancy air gadgets will help, but it does not solve the problem. Weather affects some, dry/wet air affects some, and the multitude of comments shown on here, it is clear that there is a physiological problem  here that is not yet documented, so doctor’s can try different things, yet nothing seems to work. Yet we still sneeze and the physicians still ignore...

But until the doctors out there admit that this is indeed a problem, who has never suffered this before, and a solution is found, here are my symptoms:
Dust and pet dander sets me off. Smoke and exterior dust as well as interior dust set off my sneezing. I have also found that blowing my nose will set off the itching and then more sneezing. I am taking antihistamines; however that works for most days. The sneezing hits no matter what. We all know the feeling and sensation when it approaches, so plan your day accordingly: stock up on tissues, find a good book if you can read through the itchy eyes, or listen to music. You are along for the ride, because people who do not have this annoying thing (sneezing fits) cannot understand. The next day, plan to wrap a bandage around your chest and diaphragm because it will hurt to breathe, and use moisturizer on your nose because you look like Rudolf on a snowy Christmas eve. (can anyone relate?) When it begins, the throws of your sneezes, you’re done. Sit down, lay down, and ride out the snot storm. You have MEGA ALLERGIES and unless you can afford a hermetically sealed room, find what works and stick with it.

As one person alluded to, clean, dust, vacuum, but no matter how much you clean, it’s still going to hit. Air purifiers and humidifiers also help, but it doesn’t stop the symptoms. The nose irrigation systems sometimes only make things worse from the saline and similar products in the spray, and then they dry things out even worse, adding more sneezes.

Mine hit the worst when a storm comes and the barometric pressure drops or rises, sometimes a day or two before the storm hits. My throat and sinuses swell and the headaches begin. But they will hit anytime. First off...when you aren’t sneezing...get your calendar out and plan the rest of your day.

Hot shower, moisturize the sinus canal. Lying down, dark rooms, and warm/wet compresses across the eyes helps. Stay hydrated. This keeps my throat from drying out from the continual flow of nasal fluid (snot). Hot showers and steam helps. Sometimes an additional dose of my sinus medicine (Claritin D is the only one that I have found that prevents most of my attacks. On the bad days, I top off with the redi-tabs which seems to settle it some, but doesn’t stop it.)

Thanks for reading my sneezing saga...Nicholas
hi i too have this problem, right i will start at the beginning, at the age on 8 i fell over and smashed my nose and ended up losing my sense of smell, when i was about 23/24 i started having these sneezing fits, its starts with a tingling and then i sneeze constantly for hours, when the sneezing stops i feel like i have flu, my body aches, eyes water, nose streams and a terrible head ache, ive been to numerous docs who have tested me for allergies, nothing, gave me lots of different medicines and sprays, nothing, eventually the doc asked me to keep a diary of when the sneezes occur what i do during that day, what i eat etc, which i did and i found nothing so i took the diary to the docs and he asked what the ticks is the diary were for, to which i replied it was my monthly cycle dates, and low and behold my sneezes always occur 2 to 4 days before my due date!!!!!, the doc has now said that the sneezing fits maybe through a hormonal change within my body, i have searched this online and found nothing at all so if it is i may be the only one in the world lol, but i cant deny the facts, yesterday i have a sneezing fit and today my cycle started!! check if your the same!!
I am going to start a Facebook group.....probably will call it, Sneerzers Anonymous! :)

We need to unite!  Maybe if enough of us speak up, we can get something started toward research.

Someone that does NOT understand this condition, has asked me how this is different than an allergic reaction!  

Well, one of the ways is that this feels like you have the flu and you are continually breathing in peppered air.  And then, eventually, you feel like your airways are so narrow, that you can't get enough breath.  And yet, you continue to sneeze so hard that you can't catch your breath!!

I am having sneezing fits right now, and I don't even want my family close to me.  I need the room dark and quiet, or else it gets worse.  Just sitting up makes my sneezing worse.

Grrr......I have taken two Benadryl, Flonase, and a Nohist.  Still. Sneezing.

(((hugs)))) to all of you that suffer!
Rebecca
Oops...meant to say Sneezer's Anonymous! :)
Just had a thought while reading a previous post about nasal trauma....I had a car wreck many years ago, where I smashed my nose on the steering wheel.  Has anyone else had any nasal trauma??

Just a thought...

Also, I have a daughter that has had a positive ANA test, but we are waiting on her Rheumatologist appt. to see what actually if she has an auto immune condition.  I will let you know.

Oh, and if you want to join the Facebook group, just look me up! ;)
I am so glad  found that I'm not the only one suffering from this bizarre affliction!!!!! I have absolutely the same symptoms as all of you! Start out sneezing, stuffy nose, water faucet like drainage, puffy eyes, uncontrollable sneezing fits, lasts the entire day, can happen a few times a month, cannot do anything until it passes, an allergy "hangover" the next day etc!. It's like my body is reacting violently to something! I have been suffering with this for about 7 years. I have tried every allergy drug on the planet-Lately even Benadryl isnt working. It seems to be resisting allergy drugs and benadryl seemed to be the only relief (besides knocking you out). Different things seem to trigger an onset. Certain foods, weather change, being overtired. I have been allergy tested and ragweed and grass came out as postives but it has to be something more than that. The doctors don't seem to understand what I mean by a LEVEL 10 allergy attack. It is NOT an average allergy attack and I can't seem to get this message across. I have missed a few days of work due to this affliction-there is no way I am able to function when it occurs-it's to the bed with a box of kleenex, and I usually use the entire box of kleenex in an episode! It is so perplexing! I have tried to figure out what this is and it seems we are all in the same boat. Please keep posting everyone if you find out anything. It seems it's global, I am in the midwest now but have been all over the world travelling. Maybe together we can find an answer. I feel it's some kind of immune problem but have no credible facts to back this up!
YES, it's comforting to know that I'm not alone. I'm an Asian male, 19, and I started having these attacks four years ago (I've called them "allergy attacks," though I was always dubious about that terminology). I've tried nasal sprays, Benadryl, Claritin... Claritin will actually reduce the boggy nostrils for me a little bit but nothing will stand up to the violent sets of sneezes that will last all day long. Nothing seems to work except going to sleep and then waking up the next day (a mid-day nap will only temporarily put it off for me). I've tried to figure out what I'm allergic to and I think if it's not dust mites, then it's non-allergic rhinitis. The sneezes are the worst part for me, but the runny nose isn't that much of a problem. I would get very warm and sweaty (and sometimes get chills if it's really bad), then I'd be exhausted and suddenly very sleepy. It's terrible to go through the day, and I basically can't do anything until the next day. Mine comes around about 1-2 times a month, but sometimes the period between rhinitis attacks is greater. I've noticed that it usually occurs after days I seriously mess up my sleeping schedule, and my mom also noticed that lack of sleep triggers my attacks. It's probably related to the immune system. Moral of the story: get lots of rest, folks!
I'm a 35 year old male and have had this exact problem for years. Some days I can't stop sneezing, over and over. Runny nose. It's exactly as others described above - embarrassing, irritating and phyisically draining. It lasts for one day, and I know that I'll be absolutely fine the next day. But on days like this I literally cannot do anything. I have to cancel any arrangements. It sounds so trivial on the scale of things, but it has a massive impact on every aspect of your life. Thankfully it's only once maybe every two weeks. In between I'm fine, fit and healthy, rarely sick in anyway. The only possible explanation I've found is vasomotor rhynitis, or non-allergic rhynitis.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a cure. I've found the antihistamine Cetirizine Hydrochloride helpful. It's an off the shelve antihistamine, just read the labels on common brands. Cheap supermarket brands are as good as any. Liquid form if you can find it. Unfortunately it's not a cure, only provides slight relief for me.
I have a theory, and it is based on research done by a Dr. Diana.  If anyone is interested, just let me know.  It involves what is called the mast cell.  Look into the Driscoll Theory, and let me know what you think! :)
ditto to all the above comments. I have exactly this syndrome once every 2 or 3 months, lasting mostly for a day (sometimes 2 days) but absolutely debilitating. I will say that I saw an allergist who prescribed omnaris nasal spray (a steroid) and this was helpful, as long as I took it every day. however, this got expensive ($60/month, even w/ insurance) and more important, began to cause pain when I sprayed it and post-nasal drip/congestion/backup, which was just as bad. possibly my dosage should have been adjusted. in any case, I urge people to try omnaris; it provides some relief.
Thanks for the suggestion, and I am sorry you can no longer take the Omnaris.  I hope you are not still struggling with symptoms.

Take care!

Sounds all too familiar; I too suffer from sudden bouts of long duration sneeze fits. The only thing I have ever found to be effective is to plus my nose with tissue paper. Leave it plugged and change the tissues as needed due to drainage. Sneezing stops and your functional albeit slightly odd looking. Usually 2-3 hours and it seems to pass and I can unplug my nose. Hope this tip helps the rest of you as well.
I recovered from a mild cold about 21/2 weeks ago, and have since started having these sneezing attacks. In the last two weeks, I've had an attack maybe 7 times, ALWAYS at night, usually wakes me up at night, unrelenting tickle in one nostril, then usually leads to constant sneezing, scratchy throat, and stuffed up nose. Sometimes I think I can stop the domino effect by not 'scratching' my throat, but it becomes tiring to lay there trying not to relieve the tickle and scratchiness somehow! Unlike some of you, my episodes only last 1/2- 1 hour, but the resulting stuffy nose, loss of taste and smell last the whole rest of the day. Not sure if anything helps, seems like not much. Can't sleep, it's a drag!! I have had NO allergies in the past, this is weird.
I know that this forum was a long time ago but has anyone found any relief ? I'm in the same boat. I KNOW it's weather changes but I'm trying to research and see if maybe some particular vitamin would help temper my reactions. It's hard to lie on the couch all day with a box of tissues.
I share many of the same symptoms as others here.  I am completely wiped out when I have one of these attacks.  Rarely, medicines will work, Claritin or Zyrtec, if I catch it early enough in the attack.  When it gets really bad, no medication works except sleeping it off.   Sometimes I am fine the next day, but other times it can continue for several days.  I also have another symptom that I haven't seen mentioned. When I am in the middle of an attack, I crave food, mostly sugar, candy, etc.  My theory is that the allergy attack is so draining that my body is craving a quick fix to try and keep up my energy to handle it. I have no idea if the food is making it worse, but I sometimes feel better temporarily while I am eating.  Today I missed an entire day of a vacation because of an attack. It's depressing and I feel like most people don't really understand how debilitating the allergy attack can be. I feel like they think I am over reacting when I can't function.  I wish doctors had a better answer. I've been to many allergists my whole life yet I've never been able to get any real relief.  I guess the only solace is that sometimes I can go months without an attack.  I have not found the attacks to be always weather dependent, although I do think that a change in weather or rain has triggered some attacks. I have never been on this website but plan to keep monitoring to see any good answers.
Same problem here. The Spring after I turned 18 (new location, moved to college) I had violent sneezing fits for the first time, days in a row. They've since continued at varying frequency: as often as 3 times/week or as infrequent as once a month. Rarely have gone more than a month without em. Triggered by anything and everything (strong mints, temperature changes, breeze, anything). Sometimes I'll be in a field in summer with tons of flowers around me, and I won't have any issues at all. Most antihistamines do nothing. I'm not convinced it has anything to do with allergies whatsoever.

What HAS helped:
* Exercise, but only for the duration of the exercise and about a half hour after. Someone else posted the same thing. I find that even when I'm in the middle of the worst kind of fit, as long as I'm running, the sneezing ceases.
* Zyrtec reduces the intensity of the fits by maybe 20-30%. Nothing else has worked, rx or otc.
* Alcohol. I notice after 1-2 drinks an ongoing fit will calm down.

Would kill for a permanent remedy. Someone mentioning pregnancy is very interesting, that having her first child ended the symptoms entirely: suggests that this is indeed immune or perhaps hormone-related; the body goes through tremendous changes during pregnancy.

Also worth mentioning that it was around the time the sneezing began that I stopped being vegan and began being vegetarian. The health benefits of veganism may have prevented issues from arising previously. I had been vegan for 2 years prior to that.

Cheers to all, wish the rest of the world took this more seriously. It's ridiculous and frustrating to be completely put out of commission by an unknown adversary that no one else seems to acknowledge ("Geez, don't you have allergy meds?...")

What HAS helped:

Itoo have the same problem. Additionally violent sneezing caused "Blood vessel break" in my eye.
oh my goodness, I am overjoyed to find that I am not the only one to suffer like this,
my symptoms are similar to most on here,
It started when I was about 14 and now I'm 31. it usually starts as soon as I wake up and can feel the tickling onset in my nose. I get it from once a week to once a month.  I used to be more likly to get it ondays when I didn't want it most, such as Christmas or exams or days out. if I ever woke up too early and lay in bed I would start to panic about getting it and as soon as the feeling of panic would hit then so would the tickley nose. although it can start without me even thinking about it.
once it starts it lasts for the whole day , watery runny nose, sneezing loads, itchy eyes
no antihistamine works on it.
I do seem to have reactions to dust, perfume, pollen.
lying down and sitting still does help and as soon as I stand up the sneezing restarts.
the hungover feeling the next day I have always put down to dehydration from the hundreds of soaked through tissues I go through.
I've always called it " my allergy" just to give it a name and assure people around me that I'm not catching , but I don't believe it's to one particular thing, I've always tried to elaine it to people and then just round it off by saying its a kind of anxiety attack.  although I will be keeping an eye on the weather and the wine consumption now it's been mentioned.
today's bout didn't start til 3 ish , last night I had little sleep, today I smelt perfume in the air at a shop, I used a blanket I don't normally use, I had a glass of rose wine last night.. not sure which of these if any started it,
people around me have stopped being sympathetic a long time ago and just feel sorry for themselves to be in a room with a sniffing sneezer for any period of time.
I had allergy tests as a teenager and mildly reacted to some but nothing major.

thank you to you all for making me feel that I'm not suffering alone. x
no antihistamine works on it.

I have had the same issue for years and cannot explain why.  It is embarassing and everyone always asks the same question "are you sick again?".  My nose is always clogged and I definitely can't remember the last time I was able to breath fully through my nostrils.  If it is at 50%, I am typically happy.   I went to my ENT a few years ago and she recommended that I try septoplasty/turbinate reduction surgery.  I'm not sure if this will help at all - but has anyone tried this or has anyone been recommended this solution?
Oh my God - I am not alone!

Yesterday, I had a day-long sneezing attack and I've decided to keep a diary of my symptoms in order to work out frequency and potential triggers etc. I know that yesterday, I felt a bit bunged up first thing (I suffer from intermittent nasal congestion with or without mucus production and often in just one nostril - which varies from left to right, with the left nostril generally more affected than the right). Then, started with mucus production - clear watery and typical of rhinitis. Then started having sneezing fits, to the point where the upper right side of my chest hurt with the exertion, my throat felt somewhat phlegm-y and I felt like I was starting with a chest infection (heavy, mildly rattly on breathing). Had to go everywhere with a box of tissues.
This morning, as I kind of expected, I woke up with a sore nose that looks like a beacon and still feel like I've got some mucus on my chest, but nasal passages feel much more normal, my nose is not constantly dripping and YAY!! I'm not sneezing!! But blimey, my shoulders are aching - suspect from sneezing so forcefully and frequently. Not experienced muscle pain from sneezing before...

I remember all this starting approx 9yrs ago not long after I moved to another part of the UK, worse in the winter than the summer. Mainly nasal congestion and constant dripping back then, but now I sometimes have itchy eyes/oral palate/ear canals to go with it and the sneezing has become worse over the last 4? 5? yrs. It may affect only one nostril at a time, sometimes both. It doesn't matter where in the UK I am any more, my nose can be normal or it can start to itch/run/sneeze/generally be a pain in the butt, and I have no way of predicting what will happen :(

I have used a preventer spray called Fluticasone Propionate with some success in the past, and it is fine for reducing frequency and severity of attacks, but I can't find anything to relieve the attacks once they've started. Although if it's *just* nasal congestion, a squirt of well-directed ventolin up the affected nostril has been useful at reducing the inflammation!

It is good to know I'm not on my own!

It is indeed really good to know that I'm not alone with this condition!

As already repeated here, there is indeed no anti-allergy medicine available on the market that can stop this attack once it starts. And yes, it lasts around one full day, and only a good night's sleep can stop it -- and the day after, as if it never happened (albeit the red nose). I am on allergy meds everyday for dust mites and it helps a lot, but when the attack comes, all attempts at stopping it are futile. I've tried taking the following (sometimes all at once): fluticasone furoate, desloratidine, cetrizine, levocetrizine, xylometazoline. All to no avail!

I have discussed this with several ENT specialists (in 3 different countries so far), and they are all clueless, and end up prescribing the usual. I have speculated the following: viral (even herpes!) cause, atmospheric (during fogs/mists that create fertile conditions for dust mites), stress (the usual suspect). But I'm not a medical specialist and do not want to fall in senseless patient hypochondria, so I leave it at that.

I feel this condition has turned me more zen than anything else. I sometimes think of it has some sort of bodily psychotic episode that occurs every month or so where all reality breaks down, and after it passes, provides me with a renewed appreciation for the mundane everyday life when it doesn't happen. That said, I would really like to have more information about this so that the dialogue with the ENT specialists is fruitful.

This thread was started in Aug 3, 2007. Roughly 5 years later, there remains no medical advance regarding this condition. In fact, other than here on this forum, I don't even know what to identify this as, since it doesn't quite fit the description of allergy attacks. Anyone here know?

It's unreasonable to think that the medical community will take heed of a forum post with this many comments. My last meeting with the ENT specialist ended up with me lecturing her that more research funding needs to go into this condition. I'm not trying to push here that further research on this should take precedence over more serious conditions, but only that it would be good to know a little more about why this happens and at least get it to the attention of the medical community. At least, it can become a topic of choice for those medical researchers who are interested.

If you have some references to peer-reviewed papers on this, or at least have a medical name for this condition, please share! Thanks!
This is the first time I've read that others have this same type of allergy day.  Right now it is nearly 8:00 pm PT & I have been sneezing head-banging style since 5:30 am.  It started raining last night so I'm not surprised; I am sure now it's mold spores.  I have had these kinds of days, where I am useless all day, since I was in my early 20's.  Nothing helps me.  The only thing that did make a difference was surgery to have my deviated septum fixed. The Dr said I had to have broken my nose but I don't remember doing so. He also said I still did not have enough breathing room inside.  I also can't get near red wine, it makes me so sick.  And I too have to just stay lying down, if I move around it gets worse.  I practically get a whiplash from sneezing so violently.  I am happy now because tomorrow I know I will feel much better. So glad to find others with this :-)
WOW.... now I don't feel as bad.  I get these fits of sneezing every so often and it's so embarrassing and frankly, it puts me out for a couple of days.  It's exhausting and becomes painful because it seizes your entire body!  And my face literally hurts due to all the wiping and dripping!  I've had it.  Nothing works.  Sorry that everyone else has this, but at least I'm not crazy and not alone!  

Doctors!!!!  Get out there and solve this!  
I was ready to go to get an allergy test and/or test out every allergy medicine on the shelf, but after reading five year's of posts (2007 - 2012), many of which exactly mirror my experience, I'm not going to waste my time. I'm a healthy, thin, 44-year-old, non-smoker who has battled with this for 10 years (?).

Here's an outline of my experience:

• Once I start sneezing, I can't stop until I go to bed. I wake the next day feeling as if I am recovering from an auto accident, but thrilled to not be sneezing. I try, but cannot work during an attack.

• I get an intense tickle in my nostril or nostrils. Sneezing fits leave me exhausted. Runny nose comes towards end which requires stuffing a tissue in my nose or I drip all over the place. (I too wish they'd invent plugs.)

• During a sneezing day, I only stop during eating/swallowing.

• Triggers are dust, maybe non organic strawberries (and I used to think McDonald's breakfast but I never eat that crap anymore), maybe wine but I don't like the stuff, campfires, or sometimes none of the above.

• Aggravated by or often timed with constipation, dehydration, multiple days of rain, but yesterday's bought followed multiple days of sunshine, so there goes that theory.

• No medicine's help, only add jitters or to the exhaustion.

I am convinced that it is spinal and/or gastro related. Dr. Rajput's entry of April 22, 2011 is very interesting. I am vitamin B deficient; vitamin D deficient. I do get my neck adjusted by a chiropractor every six weeks. He is interested in knowing of my "sneezing days." They come sometimes after camping/sleeping on a hard surface. I woke up yesterday after sleeping in a cabin bunk, my shoulder frozen in pain. It subsided soon after I got moving in the morning, but the sneezing came on three hours later. It also seems to coincide with constipation most often brought on by dehydration which is why alcohol and campfires may be deemed a culprit. I did also indulge in non organic strawberries that morning, which remain suspect.

Thank you all for sharing your experience. I now know it is of no use to further poison myself with "medicine." My plan is to continue to communicate with my chiropractor, stay hydrated, take care of my digestive help, and continue to address my vitamin deficiency.

Any employer who doubts your condition can read these posts, otherwise just sit in their office and give them a demonstration. This is a sporadic, crippling condition. I tell my husband, "I had a sneezing day," after being witness to one, he now understands what that means.
Sean, that is the best answer yet. I really believe that. Dust mites are the primary cause of sneezing. I have washed everything in my house, wall, windows and curtains and clothes and linens and towels. I think a good clean of the duct system in your home helps also.
Happy to report that I have been sneeze-free for 20 weeks. On an earlier post I had mentioned I would perhaps try hypnotherapy, which I did. It was a valuable experience, but I still had sneezing episodes, so that wasn't a "cure". I also had a CT scan, which, thankfully, showed everything was normal. However, I began seeing a doctor of Chinese medicine in early February for acupuncture treatments. She also recommended, and I do, the following: daily saline nasal washes followed by a moisturizing nasal spray (takes maybe 3 minutes); decrease gluten and dairy; take chlorella tablets and a probiotic daily; and occasionally use oil of oregano for excessive mucus production, I have (so far) been relieved of the day-long bouts of sneezing. I am convinced that the build-up of toxins in my body has been the culprit, and I will continue on this path for the rest of my life.  
just had a full day fit myself yesterday.  i'm a teacher and started sneezing at 9am and finished at 3pm.  still stuffed up from it the next morning, but no more sneezing.  like you all--i have allergies, but usually my allergy pills (claritin) take care of it and then out of the blue i have uncontrollable sneezing and glooping, running nose.  the biggest trigger i've noticed is the hand sanitizer type products.  they do something to my nose that just irritates it it to no end.  i've banned the stuff from my classroom with ease since there is so much literature to share with parents on how bad it is for the environment and for their child's hands.  there are chemicals in it that are now showing up in our water table and the alcohol based sanitizers kill off both bad and good bacteria from your hands, so i've been lucky in that respect--controlling my immediate environment.  however, i walk down the hall and the strong smell will hit me from another student from another class and down i go.  what baffles me is, how it keeps me sneezing for so long even when the trigger seems to be gone.  i keep in mind that with all the hair sprays, dryer sheets, deodorants etc etc i'm exposed to all day from others' lifestyles, my allergies could be any of hundreds of things.  please keep posting if you find an answer.  also good to hear i'm not the only one.  cheers.
Hello everyone,
I have had this problem since I was 17, it was more intense at times than other times. Apparently it was because my diet pattern changed without me realizing it.
I had seen 2 acupuncturists and several allergy doctors and nothing worked other than being drugged regularly with antihistamine...
5 years ago I went on a cleansing diet known as the "Cabbage Soup Diet" and after a week I realized that the problem stopped coincidentally.
That is when I realized that the problem is directly related to food, and not an external exposure of any sort.
As I got off the diet I started making notes of what I am reintroducing to my daily diet to see what is causing the problem. According to my finding It is Gluten, and Chitin, and all firming agents that are used in canned food,  Gelatin, Gum etc... (and these are mostly made from Chitin )  I stopped bread altogether and hardly eat any canned food and any product with too many preservatives. Most harmful is whole wheat bread.
I can say I have been cured, it only reoccurs when I get sloppy and not pay attention and /or say it is not a big deal to cheat and eat something that is questionable.
Not only that approach solved my uncontrollable sneezing, but I lost 40lbs and all issues such as blood pressure etc... are on point.
I am sure to some the sneezing is due to external factors but after reading most of these posts, many of you sound like you are suffering from the same thing I had.
Good luck and hope this info helps and reaches the very old posters.
Impotent forgotten note, "Stopped bread and all other gluten product...
I to have the uncontrollable  sneezing problem, since last 2 yrs, but i have now discovered its cure which makes me normal in just 2-3 minutes.

1) Firstly i take two cottons and insert in my nose holes, this prevents the outer air and bacteria to enter.If sneezing comes i go with the mouth.

2) second and most relieving is that i gently give warmth to both sides of the nose, by warming my thumbs finger print area with the help of a candle flame for 2 minutes.

and sneezing disappears

You guys can try this It helped me a lot, who knows it can help you too
Hi all sneezers. I have had this problem for 40 some years. I find it is always triggered by changes in temperature, especiaally cold humid, air conditionning that hits me. My Dr. said that it was a severe case of Vasor Motor Rhinitus. This is not an allergy, this is why antihistamines do not work.  All my allergy test were negative.The only thing that I have found that works when I have an episode  is to wear clothing that covers my arms and my legs ( then you get all sweaty which is a b.....( but have to do this at the first sign of the attack). Also when an all day bout hits: going to bed will usually stop it. I figure it is the warming of the body core temperature. I have lately found out about SPD Sensitivity Processcing Disorder. It is very interesting. I am also very sensitive to heat, light,tight clothes,motion sickness etc.. My nose and tongue will know if I am going to like a certain food or not. My hearing is very sensitive. I am seeing a Naturopath  hoping this will help.Will keep you posted. While working nights as a nurse, I would start sneezing at 04:00 till 08:00. I would plug my nose so that I could do rounds, take Blood Pressures or wash the patients. Thank God I am retired haven't work nights in many many years. As many have said: No one understands the debilitating effects of this. If it can encourage anyone the attacks have lessoned as I have gotten older. Great support on this site. Thank you
Please consult any Immunologist where in they have some remedy for seizing the Allergic reactive by immunizing the allergen to the bidy. This is latest invention of curing allergies. Dr. Venkata Subbarao suggested my brother to contact Immunologist Dr. Chandra Shekar - Bangalore which is Hub of Health Services. You try in your city and Country.

Gnan - Bangalore
Hi All, Glad to know that I am not alone! The only thing that helps me is to take a couple of antihistamines and straight into bed under a blanket, lying on my back untill I fall asleep.

During this period my body is extremely sensitive to temperature change!
Very pleased to read that i'm not alone. I'm over in the UK and the only one in my family and friends that suffers from this. I have been sneezing like this since after having my second child 6 years ago. I sneeze all day and the next day i'm back to normal. Its very intense and extremely exhausting and i tend to dose up on antihistamine and nasal sprays, its normally can be triggered when i have a poor nights sleep. Can lack of sleep cause something like this?

I write this whist experiencing another bad day of this. This has only occurred roughly once or twice a month so far.
My stove was ablaze yesterday and in an effort to put out the fire I inhaled a lot of smoke. Today I am sneezing my life out of me! Claritin doesn't seem to help. Who knows of any magic potion out there?
Thanks, from a sore red-nosed sneezer :(
Well this is the first time this has happened to me. Woke up gfeeling a bit rough and thought I had caught my daughter's cold (maybe I have - as well). But every time I started to move about I started sneezing uncontrollably, runny eyes and nose and unable to do anything. So I'd take a break and sit down- and feel ok. Soon as I started moving again uncontrollable sneezing etc. That's been going on all day, feeling a bit wasted and very hungry. I do have allergies but this isn't like my normal allergic reaction, I take antihistimines most days but they didn't touch this. So having got on the web and found fellow sufferers it looks like if I'm lucky it will have worn of tomorrow, and if I'm unlucky it'll happen again! Big weather front forecast for tomorrow BTW. Wondering if the rise in BP when I am active is what's bringing on the symptoms? Exercise takes down the old BP, but I haven't been able to exercise- too knackered!
Have a read of this website re non allergenic rhinitis- fits my symptoms, minimal cures tho :-( . Just tried the old mustard bath (boiling water in a bowl add mustard and inhale- didn't make it any worse)
http://www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/50.html
hi tumbled across this page whilst googling  for sneezing tips etc... read your post and just had to reply, im also in uk (yorkshire) i have the same problem, everytime i have a late night, the next day i spend the whole day sneezing anthistamine and nose sprays do nothing... i do have asthma but its well mangaged.....but i have deffo noticed a lack of sleep and sneezing days.. infact ive had one day.. been blackpool lastnight and went to bed about 2ish..payed the price for it today... arghh
Here's an article I came across while recovering from yet another 24 hour marathon sneezing, sweating, nose dripping, eye drooling session.

By Julia Sommerfeld
msnbc.com
updated 11/4/2003 3:07:25 PM ET

Is your nose constantly running? Do you suffer from uncontrollable bouts of sneezing? Or do you have a stuffy nose and sinus headache? Before you reach for the allergy medicine, talk with your doctor. You may not be suffering from allergies at all. Millions of people with these symptoms actually suffer from another condition known as non-allergic rhinitis.

Non-allergic Rhinitis, which is essentially a catchall term for a hypersensitive nose, afflicts as many as one-third of Americans, many of whom mistakenly assume they have allergies, says Dr. William Berger, an allergist in Mission Viejo, Calif.

This has Berger and other allergists concerned because as heavily advertised prescription allergy medications increase their reach among Americans, more and more of these non-allergic patients are taking them inappropriately.

Allergies vs. Non-allergic rhinitis
Rhinitis simply refers to the inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose that causes sinus symptoms including sneezing, runny nose, postnasal drip, headache or stuffiness. This inflammation can be caused by allergic or non-allergic triggers.

Allergic rhinitis, which is often called “hay fever,” is the body’s immune system overreacting when it comes into contact with certain substances such a pollen or mold. When people with allergies inhale these substances, an allergic antibody treats them like dangerous invaders and gloms onto them. This triggers the release of histamines and other chemicals, which cause the trademark allergic response of sneezing, dripping nose, congestion and itchiness.

Non-allergic rhinitis, on the other hand, is caused by a whole host of factors, none of which has to do with with allergens or the immune system. It can be triggered by irritants such as smoke, perfume, pollution and spicy foods or changes in temperature, weather shifts and air pressure variations. In some people, it can follow a cold or result from certain medications, hormonal changes, overuse of over-the-counter decongestant sprays or structural abnormalities of the nasal passage. And in yet others, there’s no known cause.

Doctors don’t fully understand why, but such factors appear to damage the nerve endings and blood vessels in the nose and cause sneezing, dripping and stuffiness, says Berger, a clinical professor of pediatrics at the University of California, Irvine, and author of “Allergies and Asthma for Dummies.”

Dr. Robert Nathan, a spokesperson for the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, adds that there’s a third group of especially unlucky patients who have a combination of allergies and non-allergic rhinitis — so even after they deal with their allergies, they have a whole other set of unidentified triggers to try to get under control.

Telling the conditions apart
The symptoms of the two conditions are similar but there is a telltale difference: While patients with allergies usually experience some sort of itching of the eyes, ears, nose, throat, skin or roof of mouth, non-allergic rhinitis patients do not.

Also, people generally get allergies at the same time every year. Or for those with year-round allergies, there usually are known triggers such as cats or mold.
But Berger notes that changes in temperature and weather, which are common non-allergic triggers, often occur about the same time when pollen counts are high — early spring or fall — so non-allergic rhinitis can be easily confused with seasonal allergies.

Nathan, also a clinical professor of medicine at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver, says he is seeing more and more non-allergic patients, not because the condition is on the rise, but because the patients are not helped by popular prescription non-sedating oral antihistamines such as Zyrtec, Allegra or Claritin.

Patients with runny noses during allergy season are often given these drugs by their primary care doctors, he says, but they don’t offer much relief for patients with non-allergic rhinitis. So these allergy drug “failures” are often the people who are sent to allergists. It’s not until allergists do skin testing and rule out allergies that non-allergic rhinitis is diagnosed.

“Forty percent of patients I see are non-allergic on testing,” Nathan says, but more often than not, patients with sinus symptoms assume they have allergies.

Patient confusion
One such patient, Melinda Fox, a 55-year-old-teacher in Laguna Niguel, Calif., suffered from a constantly running nose for years, thinking it was allergies.

“In the mornings, I would always have to keep running over to grab a Kleenex,” she recalls. “It’s hard to keep stopping in the middle of a lesson with 1st and 2nd graders to blow my nose.”

She used over-the-counter allergy medications to no avail — sometimes they would dry her up a bit but they’d leave her drowsy and her eyes feeling painfully dry. It wasn’t until she went to Berger for help that skin allergy tests revealed that she wasn’t allergic.

“It was a big surprise to me,” she says. “I just assumed I had allergies, no one ever talks about non-allergic reactions.”

Given the choice, Nathan says he’d take a diagnosis of allergies over non-allergic rhinitis any day.
“This is a condition I prefer patients not to have. If they’re allergic they can avoid the triggers or have allergy shots; if it’s an infection I can give them antibiotics; but if it’s non-allergic rhinitis, there’s no cure, just medication for symptom relief for the rest of their lives,” he says.

Treating non-allergic rhinitis
Though it is more difficult to treat than garden variety allergies, there are effective prescription medications for non-allergic rhinitis. Steroid nasal sprays such as Flonase or Rhinocort, which decrease swelling of the nose, are usually the first-line of therapy. And Astelin spray, a topical antihistamine with some anti-inflammatory properties, has been approved for non-allergic rhinitis. Plus, for patients with stuffiness, a decongestant is often added to the regimen.

Doctors say the major problem is that people with non-allergic rhinitis are often on the wrong medication — either their primary care doctor puts them on a prescription oral antihistamine or they self-medicate with over-the-counter drugs like Benadryl.

Often people are put on Claritin when they have runny nose that may be non-allergic rhinitis or even a common cold,” says Dr. David Stempel, an allergist and researcher at Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle. “Doctors just need to go through the symptoms better — an extra 30 seconds to get more of patient history to distinguish between non-allergic rhinitis and allergies.”
Doctors discourage taking over-the-counter antihistamine like Benadryl for an extended period of time because it can cause significant sedation, and anyway, it isn’t likely to bring much relief to non-allergic sufferers.

When left untreated or when treated inappropriately, experts warn, non-allergic rhinitis can lead to other ailments, such as sinus problems, ear ailments and nasal polyps, which can cause constant congestion and difficulty sleeping.
This appears to be what causes all this:
i have had this since i can remember i have tried pills like crazy usually end up combining them so they can work, the thing is that i have a very strong immune system that i have to change pills ever so often.
ive tried: benadryl, Allegra, claritin, xzyal, singular, Tylenol cold and flu, Zyrtec, and herb based pills.
currently had to quit Allegra, claritin and xzyal because they too soft
and Zyrtec because it made me jittery and cranky.
my sneezing days are caused by: PMS, grass, recently clean or dirty carpets, thing with perfume, smoking, warm to cold/cold to warm changes in the environment
i find annoying and time wasting the doctors who just get you out of the way and come back so again with the same problem just so they can make a quick buck please stop saying well lets change pills, or avoid those things that cause you allergies, or lets put you in a allergy injection regime; because it simply doesn't work.
I had some recent attacks, 10/14 & 10/28.  10/14 it was raining all day, 10/28 was a day before Hurricane Sandy moved in.  My attacks usually last only for one day, this one lasted 2 days, the first time this has happened.  We didn't get that much rain in Montreal from the storm but it was cloudy for 48 hours and I'm sure there was a lot of change in the air pressure. The weather is always the common denominator in my attacks.  Fortunately they only occur 1-2 times per year.
I am suffering from a similar problem i have recently resorted to homeopathy. however in times of need i resort to this medicine called cetirizine it works very well with this kind of cold. It is available over the counter and is an anti allergic tablet.
I agree.  In England it is twice as bad, because the NHS is a pile of donkey doo.  I called to book an appointment and they said it seems like this was something the doctor could deal with over the phone!   I have no one to turn to.  I am not happy you people hear suffer the same fate I do, but it is good to know I am not the only one.  Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.  
With mine I don't think the weather changes effect me. It has to either be dust or cats, but neither one constantly makes me sneeze all day, so I am at a loss.
Thank you for the best post on this page! The "bidee" is interesting and just discovered it's very effective when it gets severe.
One more step I'd add to your control remedies is the use of anti-inflammatory nasal spray such as Otrivin. This helps ease one of the most annoying after-effect of incessant sneezing, which is heavily swollen insides of one or both nostrils. However, it doesn't help the itching of the soft palate as it trickles down from the nostrils to the back of the throat. But helps breathe normally again.
Hope this helps too :) Cheers
I am so glad to have found this forum. I have been struggling with, his problem for about 10 years. I think people are on the right track when they talk about autoimmune response and system overload. For so long, I assumed my problem was had environmental causes, but I have made some interesting discoveries regarding diet. In fact, my sneezing fits would occur from once a month to once a week and I had been 2 months without a fit by avoiding almost completely dairy and gluten. Last night, I had a glass of milk and some feta cheese. I also had wine and chocolate. I think the problem does not have a specific cause, but rather, it's a combination of things to which our system is sensitive.
Yay!  After finding and reading this thread I can now put a name on my "allergic episodes" as I've called them.... after all these years!  Non-allergic Rhinitis <--- for sure! And I am glad to know that there are others that know EXACTLY what this feels like.

I don't have hay fever or any allergies (sneezing while doing the occasional dusting in my house does not an "allergy" make!) but 2-3 times a month I, too, am overwhelmed with water-faucet eyes and nose and long drawn-out sneezes.  The running nose and eyes (rivers!) are my worst symptoms.  It has never lasted more than 10 hours and I, too, am completely drained and exhausted when it finally stops.  The next day I am 100% symptom free.

I take Zyrtec D every single day for sinus drainage that makes me so hoarse I am impossible to understand (I am a trainer so talking is my vocation).  But Zyrtec has zero impact on these episodes.  

I have long suspected that my episodes are weather/barometric pressure related.  I have eliminated the seasonal allergies (although I know I have had occasional hay fever symptoms and it's obvious when I hear the pollen count on the weather).    My eyes --light green--are sensitive to makeup but I have no obvious allergies.    I DO think that stress makes me more reactive to the weather.

I travel for a living and this travel takes me from east-to-west, north-to-south in all seasons.  When an episode strikes -- and it is VIOLENT!-- I have learned to stop and pay attention to the weather!  Is it raining or getting ready to? Did a cold front just move through?  The answer is always YES.  

I became confident that my sinuses and the weather were the issue because of one incredible and sudden attack.  It was SO OBVIOUS I had to pay attention!  The story:

I was in Corpus Christie on business.  I had been there for almost 4 weeks (but flying home to Missouri on weekends) with no incident.  On the last day I was in Corpus, I woke up feeling normal.  It was a gray day and beginning to mist/sprinkle.  The wind kicked up.  Whilst driving on the interstate, headed TOWARD the bay, my head almost exploded. haha! Not really..... but immediately I couldn't stop the gusher out of my eyes and nose. I remember feel shocked and thinking "What??!! What is GOING ON??" Honestly I had trouble driving because I couldn't SEE.   I had no kleenex and my makeup was running down my face.  Instant headache.  Nothing can keep me from my Starbucks so I pulled through the drive through but was unable to order as the discharge down my throat killed my voice.  I couldn't stop the river of water.  The girl at the window actually RAN to get me a stack of napkins.  I think I scared her, she thought something serious had just happened to me.  I stayed *almost* this bad the rest of the day (not unlike all my other episodes but this one hit hard and fast like a brick upside the head).

When I went to the airport the security guy politely asked how my trip went.  When I related how I had so suddenly been overcome, he immediately responded "Oh, that happens to people here all the time.  It's called the "Corpus Crud".  When a front moves through and blows inland from across the bay, it picks up all the residue from the refineries and wrecks havoc on even the most hardened residents".  

And there ya go.  A front came through, and my symptoms were exaggerated by the crap in the air.  Pretty obvious.  Every since then I have been able to pinpoint my episodes.  I don't have them with *every* change in the weather? But mostly those that involve precipitation and big changes in pressure.

It doesn't sound like this is *everyones* issue here on this thread, but clearly this is mine.  

Thank you to all here who took their time to share.  It has been extremely helpful!

the drug literally has been proven to eat your brain...Dr's did MRI of users brain in a research study and the brain had plaques everywhere. the effect of the nasal relief does not out way the disastrous effects you'll be stuck with for a life time! besides the beneficial "nasal drying" aspect of E is the cut which more than likely is a derivative of Ephedrine. unfortunately U.S. consumers cannot purchase over the counter any longer (as i'm sure you already know), but maybe try an equal substitute and not E. not to judge but if you are using regularly or even seldom, you have a problem. take care of yourself. all the best and stop using.
I sneeze every other day and I dunno why. I vacuum enough, or so I thought, maybe I need to go back to vacuuming every day.
Well, to me the Vasomotor Rhinitis or Non-allergic Rhinitis is the most logical diagnosis. But it is *still* sooooo frustrating that more research has not been done to find better treatments. I am 15 weeks pregnant, and my sneezing fits are at their all time worst!!  It is horrible. :(  If anyone finds a med that helps, please share.
but its winter time
I just found this website.  I really thought I was alone in this.  This seems to happen to me when the wind is blowing hard.  I think it's the dust and mold. It can happen anytime of year.  It's happening today. I'm at work, took a benadryl.  Only thing that seems to help is to go home, take 3 benadryl, and sleep thru it.
Wow! I never knew other people had this problem too.  Yes, the sneezing is exhausting.  People don't realize how much energy is lost with constant sneezing. I've always had terrible Spring season allergies.  Forget that groundhog, my allergies will tell you if Spring is coming early or not.   Psst...It is.....I've been sneezing since Jan.  

I used to get allergy shots as a child, I had an inhaler, I wore masks (which  scared my friends), I took pills, I stuffed wads of tissue up my nose, I did everything.  

In grade school my teachers would kick me outta class and tell me to go stand in the hallway while I had these fits.  They said that students having to constantly 'bless me' after each sneeze (and there'd be like 5 sets of 9 consecutive sneezes) would disrupt her class.  As if I did this for sh*t's and giggles.

The docs said that eventually I'd grow out of it once I reached adulthood.....I'm 30 and my allergist just prescribed me an EpiPen.  I guess this is as good as it gets, eh?

I get the same thing, seemingly triggered by weather change and not allergy, as I have no allergies, and these sneezing fits happen regardless of the season. Some of the worst fits happen right before a major snowstorm, and I know the "pollen load" is negligible in Illinois in December!
Unbelievable! We should make a club or sth! I did'nt know it is such a common problem! I am 25 y.o. I have the same sneezing syndrome two years now. Spring dramatically deteriorates it. Last year I went to a doctor and he assumed that probably its some sort of allergy. He said it's very difficult to find out what influences it. He gave me cortisone (INUVAIR 100/6). Until a few months ago I saw visible results, but gradually it became non effective.I guess that it was not triggered by allergies, but just happened to coincide with one. It usually lasts a few months (2-3), but then continues in a more discreet manner. In the period of the rise Ι may sneeze up to eighty times a day! The strange thing is it starts very strongly just when I wake up in the morning...
However, because I try to avoid medicines as much as I can,
I will try ''eblip Nov 10, 2011''  advice who recommended complete home cleanliness to an excessive degree. Ι will report results soon!

Greetings from Greece!
I have been cured of this condition and free of all symptoms for 207 days. I am a Male, 44 years, chronic sufferer of all preceding symptoms  for 30 years.
I decided I should loose some I was getting on the chubby side. I chose to fast and cleanse and did so for two weeks.( Lemon detox)During which time I became symptom free.
I was dumbfounded to discover that when I went back to eating normally I was back to the same old debilitating states.
It has been over six months and its hard to understand why but its gone.
I fast every Monday that means I go to bed on Sunday without dinner and don't eat until Tuesday morning.
I stopped eating wheat in all its glorious forms. ( I dream of pasta).
I still have lattes but don't eat dairy.
I still eat meat?
I still drink tea and coffee
I stopped eating anything with sugar in it. If it anti natural I don't eat it
I have dramatically reduced my weight as a bonus but this means nothing in comparison to being sneeze free and clear nasal passages.
I tell you sorry but I too, always thought It was the weather or a mold and every busted *** doctor or clinic would tell me I had pollen up my nose. Any one can crack open a text book and dish out a diagnosis but without first hand experience of this affliction your doctor cares little for your uneducated opinions.
Mine was diet, I don't fully understand it, and I don't know exactly which food but it has gone and no thanks to modern medicine.
My email is ***@**** if you want ask any questions
Finally people who understand! I am a 30 year old caucasian male and have suffered from sneezing spells for 7 years now. I will sneeze continuously for up to an hour often 2 or 3 times a day typically twice a week, often so violently I cannot breath in between sneezes. I have put my neck and back out sneezing and had to miss work. I have tried every medication other than steroids because I have a liver condition (Gilbert's Syndrome) with very little to absolutely no relief.

I know that it is not allergies because it happens all year round. I will be completely fine one day, horrible the next, and back to normal the day after without a single variable in my diet, or cleaning products. My girlfriend did notice that there does seem to be some correlation to the barometer (often the day before snow or rain) to which outside of building myself a Pauly Shore Bio-dome will never solve mine or anyone else's problem.

One thing I have also noticed and will hopefully lead to a cure is that my sinuses are extremely sensitive. So much so that I have had fits caused purely by contact to my nose. As if any blood rush to my nasal cavity causes the sneezing regardless of what is in the air.

At this point of desperation I am willing to attempt a desensitizing surgery. I cannot go on with these fits. I am currently in excellent physical condition but I fear for my safety as I age. In my 60+ I could easily break ribs and puncture a lung or sneeze my way down a flight of stairs to my death.

Now I need to find a quack to perform the procedure
hello fellow sneezers! It comforts me to know there are others like me, it is hard to explain to people that no, I am not getting a cold or no I don't have hay fever or any allergies, it is just a "sneezing day" I will be perfectly allright tomorrow.Maybe my ribs will be sore or behind my ears sometimes hurts but that is just the aftermath of the physically taxing day I have had.
I am in the midst of a sneezing day right now and have had them for over 25 years, I am 55 now. I used to get them every month but now it is every couple of months.
I would say never blow your nose, the relief is only temporary and the sneezing becomes much, much worse.
Never use tissue to stem the flow. just cotton hankies.
It's as if water or tears pour out of my nose, it drives me mad and the sneezing is so powerful, sneeze after sneeze after sneeze!
One thing that stops it is playing tennis but you can be sure that 10 minutes after I have finished the sneezing is back, it has to have it's full day!
Sometimes just sitting still helps, today no, my nose is dripping.
Anyway I will be better tomorrow and another good thing.....I never get colds or flu Hooray!!!
I am the same way! I have just figured out the connection to the sneezing and my monthly cycle. You are not allown. Have you heard from anyone else? I am actually having a sneezing day today and of course being stubborn I am pushing on and trying to get work done. Who knows if it is even quality work.
Hi Mouse,

Not a crazy sneeze attack but I let out more than a few the morning of 5/21 and less today.  It was very very humid here, 94% RH this morning. I'm convinced it has something to do with humidity and other meteorological aspects.  See my previous posts.

Montreal, Quebec
This is a great thread. I read the entire thing, and was enthralled. Let me provide a summary for someone who might have skipped to the end.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?
We have Vasomotor Rhinitis. You can look it up in Wikipedia. Essentially it is irritation of the nose that is not caused by allergies. Some of us may also have allergies, in which case we have Mixed Rhinitis.

HOW CAN I STOP IT FROM HAPPENING?
The cause is not well understood, so currently it's impossible to avoid triggers. For drugs, there are promising results from Astelin (Azelastine) and Patanase (Olopatadine). Both are prescription (non-steroid) nasal sprays. I have not tried them yet, but I will.

HOW CAN I STOP AN ATTACK IN PROGRESS?
Here there are promising results for symptomatic relief from Flovent (Fluticasone Propionate) and Rhinocort (Budesonide). Both are prescription steroid nasal sprays. Again, I have not yet tried them, but I will.

BUT HOW CAN I STOP AN ATTACK NOW WITHOUT GETTING A PRESCRIPTION?
Sorry, no easy answer. That's why there's a six year thread here with people trying to figure it out, to no avail. I have not found anything non-prescription that can stop an attach. Things that may help ride it out:

- Stick cotton balls/kleenex up each nostril. This will absorb the drainage, and the pressure helps suppress the urge to sneeze.
- Cardio exercise/hot bath/hot shower may provide relief during the activity.
- Sit still. It's almost universally worse if you are active (with the exception of cardio exercise).
- Knock yourself out. A full dose of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or a couple stiff drinks (not both!) can provide relief through sleep. Obviously this doesn't work if you still want to be functional.

I'll post back if I can try any of the suggested prescription drugs after visiting my doctor.

Wow... I can relate, only im almost every day. Tissues pouring out of every pocket, bag, in my bra (just incase of emergency) im dripping everywhere, but i cant inhale through my nose. My face and neck arr always red and puffy. At least 10 times a day i will sneeze a minimum of 8 times... And thats on a good day. I can hardely see because my eyes are  so wattery and glossed over. Its hard to hold a conversation alot of the time. I work in a residential/clerical setting and it is so hard to try to be professional when i have to hold my breath to ensure i wont sneeze on a client while doung paperwork... Not to mention people are grossed out!!!... I cant blame them, i am too. I dont know what to do or how to  control this situation? Tried meds and sprays and sinus rinses ( was followed by sinus infection) im always tired and winded, body aches due to such violent upper body convulsion like spazams when i sneeze 15 times in a row and my brain feels like its ricocheting around in my skull... I often see black or blueish spots and start to faint, or have to sit down for a minute to regroup. It freakin *****!!!... I feel for you all and wouldnt wish this on anyone. I dont have insurance at the moment but was given some antibiotics from a free clinic .... In the process of finishing them but nothings really changing.. Good luck to all of you and your sore noses.
Thanks bfineman for that great summary. I have been following this thread from the beginning in the hope that someone might have discovered something that works. My latest theory is that the culprit might be fabric softener. This is based on the fact that many of my attacks seem to happen soon after clean sheets have been put on the bed, or I have put on a newly laundered shirt. We are substituting baking soda which apparently does the same job as commercial fabric softeners minus the hazardous chemicals which are known to cause such things as skin reactions in many people. Too early to say if it's working as we still have some clothing that was laundered using fabric softeners, but I will update in a few weeks.

Most, but not all, of my attacks occur in the morning, or even overnight in bed, and can last anywhere from 3 to 12 hours of constant sneezing and running nose. Like everyone else I have found that once an attack starts antihistamines are useless, however if I remember to take a Reactine before going to bed I don't think I have ever had an attack the following morning. So in my case antihistamine seems to have a preventive effect. I just don't like the idea of taking them every day when I can sometimes go for a month without an attack. But then when I do get an attack I could kick myself for not taking a pre-emptive Reactine. Hope this helps someone.
I have sneezing episodes EVERYTIME it is about to rain..I literally could tell my family and coworkers its about to rain that day just from the sneezing..NODOUBT about it..Ithink the pollen in the air changes or something..as soon as the rain has passed and the air is cleaned again I am fine and the sneezing stops..
Me: sneezing all day, watery nose, closed nostrils (at least one all the time but sometimes both), and difficulty breathing and speaking. I never had this problem in the past. It started off mildly about 5 years ago and now it's severe sneezing. I'm trying to figure out what the problem could be and I'm not sure if it's fabric softener. This is just a suspicion, but could it be WATER SOFTENER? Do you guys have a water softener at your house?

It is really the only difference I can think of since this started happening and I know the water softener company has done a good job of marketing themselves and making just about every household get one ... so, what are all of your thoughts on this?
My sneezing fits are so violent and crippling I no longer can hold down a job. I have been disabled from sneezing to the point I cannot control my bladder or bowels. No friends, no help, no sympathy. Life is terrible all because of uncontrollable, violent drawn out sneezing fits that seem to have no cause.
MOLD! Do you live in a Hot and Humid climate? Check for mold Everywhere. Basements, bathrooms, closets. I moved from Wyoming (Very DRY) to the East coast and started uncontrollable sneezing in the summer. Found mold growing at the same time. Bleach will kill mold. And try to keep things dry as much as possible. Hopefully this will help at least Some of you.
I live in a valley and I have discovered that when I travel 30 minutes North, here there is better air circulation, my symptoms disappear. We have done the experiment twice now on days when I get a sneezing fit. In fact, we have decided to move. Not only will that help with these crazy sneezing fits, but I often feel light headed or headachy and we have found it helps with that as well.
Hi everyone, I found this thread of comments incredibly helpful the last time I experienced a day of sneezing. It's GOOD to know I am not the only one! I came across this link today, which proves there is something to what we have been experiencing. I hope this research continues and becomes more common knowledge.
http://www.nextavenue.org/article/2013-09/its-true-weather-really-does-affect-your-health
I see that your post was in 2009, so I hope this still reaches someone.  I DO have seasonal nasal allergies, but this is NOT my season.  I have had sensitive sinuses periodically in the past, but for the last month and a half it is constant.  I can touch my nose and sneeze ten times.  Change of air temp, smells, ANYTHING will set me off.  If I wake in the night to use the bathroom, my nose stuffs up!  Change of breathing pattern or blood pressure?  Idk.  It really makes it hard to accomplish anything.  I was hoping that in this span of time you might have found something that gives you relief?  Thanks for your time.
i am 25 and have suffered from the same problem for the last decade or so.. and its been getting worse... from once or twice a month.. its now once or twice a week... i dont sneeze all day... bt 4-5 hours of blowing my brains out through my nose is a certainty... i am asthamatic and i got tested for several allergens with a negative response... sudden change in temp or surroundings usually does it for me...i recently met a physician who told me certain things regarding this... i dont find time to do it but for someone who does.. this may help..
steam inhalation several times a day.. actually.. exhalation... steam should go in via the mouth and be exhaled via the nose
take a dropper, some warm water.. cup ur hand.. inhale the warm water and sniff it out...

sniffing in is a strict no-no.. acts as a major irritant..
besides.. washing hands / feet with cold water in the mornings and evenings should be avoided..
a few steroidal nasal inhalers were recommended but i dont believe thats a good idea :)... let me know if it helps anyone..

I realise this is an old thread but wow I can't believe I've found others that have the same problem as me! I'm so relieved I'm not alone!

I'm just recovering from a 'sneezy day' which I believe was triggered from helping a friend clear out some out boxes and the dust got me. But the attacks don't just happen with dust - they also happen randomly. The dust just really irritated my nose, I think.

I know when a attack day is coming when I wake up in the morning with a persistent tickly nose 'just about to sneeze' feeling that doesn't go away after sneezing. My eyes, throat, mouth, face in general itch like crazy and I feel like I'm going to itch my own face off! I look totally mad to friends and family but I feel they don't really understand how exhausting it is. And I can't grasp what causes it.

My eyes swell, my nose is red and running like a tap and I sneeze so many times in a row I nearly pass out. The only way I can fall asleep on a day like this is either from complete exhaustion or from crying my self to sleep. I'm going to try cutting out dairy and gluten from my diet to see what happens but I'm not hopeful.

I've had hayfever since I was a teenager but from when I was around 15 I've sneezed all year round with random 'attack' days...it really *****. I'm 23 now and am at the end of my tether after trying every allergy medicine.  It's completely debilitating and I really feel for you all. Much love.
Wow! Okay I thought that I was the only one.  I sneeze everyday allday and it is also as soon as I wake up.  My nose gets to itching real bad and then the sneezing begins and goes all day until I go to sleep.  I have been doing this for almost 4 years now, and I've never had any problems with allergies or anything like that.  I know this might sound silly, but for a while I thought maybe it had something to with me giving birth to my last child, because that is when it started.  She is about to turn 4 next week.  Somebody please give some helpful insight on what is happening and what could be causing this.
I too have sneezy days...ENT can't figure it out. I have all the usual seasonal allergies and such..but this isn't the same kind of sneezing. I also have fibromyalgia, it makes the body do some very strange things.
I tracked my sneezy days. They started during my second pregnancy, which I miscarried. I was stuffy and tap nose sneezy for about three weeks at the beginning of the pregnancy. Then, I miscarried. Sneezing stopped. (Whew!)
Sneezing then began, like clockwork, for the entire day the day before my period. Every single month. Doc has no explanation. Got pregnant again, stuffy and sneezy throughout (lived on Otrivin!).  Congestion and all subsided after giving birth. Now, baby is nearly 4 months, a day of sneezing! I hope I'm not going back to my once a month pattern! (Though a very reliable predictor)
I am assuming that the same hormones responsible for pregnancy rhinitis are responsible for monthly sneezing in me.
I've been dealing with this for 4 years.  Was on asthma medicine singular / asmanex - made a difference.  But didn't want be on singulair long-term it makes you mean.  I started becoming more aware of what I ate, when I ate, and realized that it seemed I had "silent GERD", no gas, no heartburn, but just stuff coming back up my esophagus and into the sinus cavities.  There were also issues with grinding teeth, which activates the gut.  It's complicated. Brushing your teeth at night relaxes the esophagus and if you eat late, I would put money on it that "stuff" comes up (even if it's microscopic).  I have to sleep at an angle, if not I wake up sneezing. And, I believe that is the "stuff" that is in my nose.  When I eat early. don't drink a lot of coffee or alcohol before bed and put in a night guard so I don't grind, it seems better.  Have no idea if this is it, but I do think it's connected.  Anyone have any ideas on this?
Like many others I was glad to hear that I am not alone.  This fall has been particularly bad for me.  I sneeze so hard I put ribs out and spend 24 hours with Kleenex shoved up my nose as plugs, which when I remove over the garbage its like you opened a faucet.  No amount of allergy meds will stop it and I am exhausted by the end of the day.  I try to stay at work, and yes I shove Kleenex up my nose there too.  If you walk into my office you just don't know what to expect.  Sleep is the only thing that will give me a break, but it is a full 24 hours almost exactly to the hour until it stops and the next day I couldn't blow my nose if I tried.  
Am going to research more on the non-allergic rhinitis that I read about here and see what I can find out.
I also have the same fits with no end in sight. Wanted to offer up a few things that can sometimes help. First off try ALL Antihistamines. Rx and over the counter! You may need to look them up and ask your doctor to give you an rx for each one as you try them. Don't just take what they advise as there are SO MANY to try! From eye drops to sprays and plain old pills! Try them all and at a max dose before giving up on them! Secondly, talk to your doctor about using more then one kind at the same time! There are a few you can use like that in extreme cases where nothing works. Next things to try are things that will stop the reflex it self. I so know that feeling of it not stopping for hours and hours and feeling like I would barf just from all the sneezing. I've pulled out my back, had my eyes swell shut from all the inflammation. Peed myself.. So many awful and embarrassing issues all from the non-stop sneezing. You can try to flush your nose out a few times with a neti pot (use distilled warm water with the salt packs). You can try saline sprays in the cans. If after a few flushes your still having the fit you can try sitting in a steamy room. I found a product a few years back that sometimes helps when all else does not. It's called " Village Naturals Therapy Cold & Allergy Mineral Bath Soak" I put a spoon full into a basin of steaming water and breath it in for a foot or two away. It will really help clear out all that extra goo you get from the inflammation. I hope this will help a few of you. It gets me by on the really bad days. I wish there was more I could suggest but honestly I've tried all the things people tell you two and just like most of you they never work. Good luck to you all.  
I think I may have posted in here in years past? this has been an ongoing problem for me for many years.  Nothing, absolutely NOTHING helps.  Believe me, I have tried every spray and pill - both prescription and OTC, and nothing will help or stop a "sneeze day".  I am 79 years old, and I swear that this will eventually cause me to have a stroke, and be the end of me.  I now just try to relax and just go with the sneezes, and figure - I've lived a reasonably long life, and there could be worse ways to die!  The weather has changed drastically here in the past 24 hours. (freezing cold) so once again, I'm looking at the possibility of weather changes to be the culprit?  Of course that doesn't explain why this happens in the summer, or when the weather is bland and mild for weeks on end.  I have also had allergy tests, and they have come back with no specific allergies.  
Chamomile tea works and lets u rest. Nothing else including Flonase helped my Fiancée.  My first experience with this, but look up "home remedies" to find many easy to try cures like fennel tea and pepper.
I found out, I only have this 'condition' about 1x every 30-60 days, it is a sign from my body to - calm down and let thinks go, when I have a day like these, I lay in bed and get rest, normally it goes away within a few hours, sometimes in 2h or so, after I lay down. sign for me, to stay at home that day and keep it very easy.
next day, evewrything back to normal I have to say. if that is all it is ...

I think out bodys are like an 'account' ... we do something over a long period of time - like stress, I travel about 150k miles a year or more, constant meetings,  stress, out bodies take all that in - and eventually tell us to stop and slow down and 'shut up' and that is the result, as cant function with a sneezing attack so we have to slow down, I found out, when I do daily walks and take some time away from PC, cell phone, and stress, the timeperiod of my sneezing attacks goes longer and longer, so maybe try that and see what works for you, let me know, I am open to suggestions.
Finally a post I can relate to. I do not have asthma or any allergy to the common test allergists test you for. I am 18 and have been dealing with this for years and have not figured out why it happens until now. It seems to be related to a lack of sleep for me. Sure the easiest solution is to just sleep normally but if I have to stay up to study or maybe watch a midnight premier what do I do then?
Roll toilet paper into a plug the size of your nostril. Push it as far back in your nostril as you can. This stops my violent sneezing attacks instantly. It's not a cure but it beats ripping out a lung sneezing. It gives relieve until whatever the problem is passes.
I last posted on here around June 2013. Since then I have had a very positive development that I want to share with others. Like most posters I was a victim of frequent bouts of incessant sneezing, without any indication of allergies, despite the usual tests. The situation seemed to be getting worse in the last couple of years and I would wake up in the night with a dry mouth because I could not breathe through a blocked nose. I was referred to an ENT specialist and I went there expecting the usual diagnosis that I had some unknown allergy, and a prescription for yet another nasal spry (which in the past only gave brief relief). Here's the good news; the ENT quickly found, through a sinus probe, that I have nasal polyps. He told me these are quite common and cause nasal blockage as well as sneezing and runny nose. Unlike colon or bladder polyps, the nasal variety are never malignant. He prescribed an inhaler called Rhinocort Turbuhaler, and because my sinuses were inflamed, he prescribed a 2 week tapered dose of prednisone to reduce the inflammation. However it seemed to be the inhaler that did the trick because after just 2 applications the effect was almost miraculous. For the first in two years I could breathe freely through my nose and was able to sleep soundly through the night with no dry mouth. I have now been using the inhaler for 2 months and have had no sneezing events in that time. Also, I used to go through a box of tissues in a week. Now I rarely use a tissue. What a dramatic change, and what an improvement in my quality of life. I bless the day I was referred to this ENT (his name is Dr. Bravo in Whitby Ontario). I am so grateful to him, and I hope this will lead to someone else solving their sneezing/sinus problem.
This is very interesting - I totally recognise all of the symptoms described several times in this thread and am so relieved I'm not alone (not that I wish this on anyone). I haven't taken note, over the years of when I've had the episodes, but I had one 2 days ago on holiday in Rome. As expected, this incapacitated me and ruined 1 day of a 3 day holiday. I know I haven't had an attack in a while and the previous post really caught my attention. I had the biggest nasal polyp anyone has ever seen a couple of years ago (visible when anyone looked up my nose) and I had it surgically removed about 2 years ago. I hadn't made the connection with my violent sneezing but now I seriously think they must be connected. I am guessing I haven't had any episodes since the op, but I was told polyps tend to grow back and I think this is what's happening. I'm going to take note at the next episode and visit the doctor to look for polyps. I would recommend others at least explore this option. We all know that this is not an allergy.
I have been suffering with these attacks for years. They always start the same. I notice a lot of inflammation in my joints and then wake up feeling sweaty and chilled. Then the sneezing starts. It's violent and painful! My ribs pop out of place a lot. About 3 hours into it I begin itching from head to toe. I can't even describe how bad it is! It's not like hives. It's deep down and makes me want to rip my skin off. The stranger part is that the itchy areas are in symmetrical locations. Each side of the head,each forearm, each hip etc. Then my lips swell up and feel raw. By morning it will pass although sometimes I end up with asthma issues the following day. I am tired of the doctors looking at me like I am crazy when this happens. 50 mg of benedryl helps with the nasal faucet but the rest I get no relief from! I really wonder if this is some hyper immune response.
Hello, everyone.  I have these exhausting sneezing fits also.  I've also found in the past that nothing helps except taking 5 or 6 times the recommended dose of chlorpheniramine malate (over the counter antihistamine), which I am not supposed to do.  A week ago, I was so desperate to stop the sneezing and extreme itching in my nose and throat that I tried my usual remedy for dry coughs - it's a tea called Throatcoat.  (www.traditionalmadicinals.com - also sold at some Rite-aids in the natural remedy section).  The ingredient that helps is slippery elm bark.  Just like it sounds it's very slippery and seems to coat your throat.  I had never tried it for the sneezing fits before, but this time I did and it really helped.  It took the itch away completely and reduced the sneezing by about 3/4.  Good luck.
I had another sneeze attack on Sunday Aug 31st, the first in over a year.  It was humid as heck, I woke up feeling fine then went out and about to run some errands and an hour or so into being outside it all started. Relative Humidity was in the high 80s if not 90s.  It was one of those days where the air temperature was only about 24 celsius but the humidex was in the 30s.