Allergy Community
Violent, uncontrollable sneezing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Viewing 201-246 comments:
I have been suffering with these attacks for years. They always start the same. I notice a lot of inflammation in my joints and then wake up feeling sweaty and chilled. Then the sneezing starts. It's violent and painful! My ribs pop out of place a lot. About 3 hours into it I begin itching from head to toe. I can't even describe how bad it is! It's not like hives. It's deep down and makes me want to rip my skin off. The stranger part is that the itchy areas are in symmetrical locations. Each side of the head,each forearm, each hip etc. Then my lips swell up and feel raw. By morning it will pass although sometimes I end up with asthma issues the following day. I am tired of the doctors looking at me like I am crazy when this happens. 50 mg of benedryl helps with the nasal faucet but the rest I get no relief from! I really wonder if this is some hyper immune response.
Hello, everyone.  I have these exhausting sneezing fits also.  I've also found in the past that nothing helps except taking 5 or 6 times the recommended dose of chlorpheniramine malate (over the counter antihistamine), which I am not supposed to do.  A week ago, I was so desperate to stop the sneezing and extreme itching in my nose and throat that I tried my usual remedy for dry coughs - it's a tea called Throatcoat.  (www.traditionalmadicinals.com - also sold at some Rite-aids in the natural remedy section).  The ingredient that helps is slippery elm bark.  Just like it sounds it's very slippery and seems to coat your throat.  I had never tried it for the sneezing fits before, but this time I did and it really helped.  It took the itch away completely and reduced the sneezing by about 3/4.  Good luck.
I had another sneeze attack on Sunday Aug 31st, the first in over a year.  It was humid as heck, I woke up feeling fine then went out and about to run some errands and an hour or so into being outside it all started. Relative Humidity was in the high 80s if not 90s.  It was one of those days where the air temperature was only about 24 celsius but the humidex was in the 30s.
I get this too! I have no idea what I can try. But I have tried everything I can think of!
My poor husband is such a hurting unit - he's so sneezy. I joke that he's allergic to me. The beginning of this thread was in 2007. There still isn't an answer to what causes these often times inexplicable, day-long, sneezing attacks.

I'm curious. What do you all think about this having something to do with stress. Any kind of stress. Work, financial, relationships, whatever. Maybe something about a stressful event, or combination of weather and stress?

Any energy healers out there with input on this?

There is clearly something more than what we're considering.

What do you think?
I found this group while Googling "why do I sneeze so much" trying to find answers for my 17 year old son. Although we don't know WHY he wakes up (average) twice a week with violent sneezes, we have found something that stops them. My wife and I recently became wellness advocates for doTERRA Essential Oils and have had great luck with an oil blend called "Breathe". We have him rub some on his chest and add 2 drops to his hands, rub them together, put them in front of his face and breathe in deeply, through his nose. Within 1-2 minutes, he's done sneezing!
I don't know if that would work for everyone but it definitely works for him and we (and he) are ecstatic!!

Just wanted to share, maybe this works for you too!! Best of luck....
Hey MrsSneezy, if stress was the case I'd be sneezing 24/7 for the past 10 months! lol

I honestly believe it has something to do with the barometric air pressue/humidity.  Every time I have an attack that always seems to be the common denominator.
That's me. Some days are just sneezing days for no apparent reason. I find that for me, it will happen when the temperature drops, like I get out of a warm shower, or I take off my shoes. So wrapping up in something warm and covering my head helps. Of course, if it's not a sneezing day, the temperature change has no effect on me at all.
Wow.  Never thought I would find an actual community of people suffering from the same types of violent sneezing fits that I suffer from.  This is great!  :)

I am a 38-year-old male living in New England.  I've been suffering with this affliction since my very early 20s.  It presents as extreme nasal sensitivity and usually only in my right nostril.  The sensitivity is so bad that I can actually trigger a sneezing fit by simply tugging on a piece of hair on my head.  Oh, the worst is in the shower when I am shaving.  Just the tug of even the sharpest razor on my mustache stubble invariably triggers a fit (which is why I shave in the shower now, by the way.  Less mess.).  Mornings are the worst as I tend to wake up with a mildly runny nostril that triggers a fit around 4:00-5:00am.

Anyways, I did want to share with all of you one strange but effective trick that I use to settle my sneezing down:  Soda.  Yup....Soda.  For some strange reason that my non-doctoral education cannot explain, the carbonation of the soda tickles the back of my throat in such a way that my sneezes calm down almost immediately.  Don't know why and really don't care - I just know that it works.

So, thank you all for the information that I've gleaned here tonight and I hope my soda trick might be of use to some of you fellow violent sneezers.  :)
I too suffer this ailment in the UK. I've tried various nasal sprays to no effect, but recently I have switched to a drug called Loratadine. It's taken orally once a day and seems to work for me. However I did take a break from it just to see what would happen and today I am suffering. As I post this my symptoms have subsided but I know tomorrow I'll be fine. So I'm back on the tablets again!
I'm so glad I found this site and will update if I get any further news.

Bye for now from Southampton.
Hello everyone. After reading this thread i am relieved that this problem is not scarce. Well, i have been affected with this allergy for last 2 years only. The reason what i found out after deep thinking and analyzing the conditions i found myself affected is weakness, weather, no proper sleep. Some of you might be agree with me. During these two years i have found that whenever i was doing regular exercise then i was not having a problem at all. But when i started working late night and not sleeping for more than 6 hours have made me affected. Also i feel drowsy sometimes.
I also get big sneezing attacks ..and find its like a sinusitis, I think mine is caused by environmental allergies, they spray us a lot here in the desert CA ...I now have a rash on my hands ..
I have had this problem for 8 years, sneezing uncontrollably one day and fine the next but I have found some things that seem to help me.
I take a tablespoon of chia seeds (omega3) every morning it takes a week or so to build up immunity but seems to help reduce the attacks. When I skip the seeds for a couple or more days I seem to have an attack. Could be a placebo but works for me. Having an attack today and could not work it out then realized I had been away camping and not been taking the seeds.
Reducing sulphite preservatives found in a lot of processed foods and wines. Keep away from 220
Quality rest when an attack comes on.  
This has not cured me but my family have stopped yelling at me to go buy something for it.
Hope this may help somebody.
I too have been dealing with these symptoms for the past 3 years.  I have taken an allergy test with the results coming back as allergies to dust mites and all types of tree pollen.  So I got put on allergy shots.  They dramatically reduced my sneezing fits but I moved to another state and have been off them for over a year and the attacks are back in full force.  I am having a fit today since I woke up sneezing at 2am....its now 1pm and its still going.  I could handle a normal stuffy day but not when I sneeze 18 times in a row multiple times throughout the day.  AWFUL.

Here's the ONLY thing that helps (beside allergy shots):
Take anything that is frozen or really cold and apply it to your nose on all sides and freeze the nasal passages.  A can of soda from the fridge works best in my opinion (stays cold the longest).  But a frozen washcloth or a bag of ice should do the trick.  

You may get some weird stares (or more so then usual) but this helps reduce the inflammation and stops the sneezing.  On really bad days I might have to do this a couple times.  
I live in the white mountains Arizona - Pinetop to be exact. My sneezing allergy symptoms have been off the charts the past 4 days now. Uncontrollable sneezes like nobody's biz. Ditto what others wrote symptom-wise.
Anyways, I just wanted to slip in a little tidbit - it's called "NAET" which stands for Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques. I haven't had the opportunity to try the treatment, but if I could I would. I've read much of the book "Say Goodbye to Illness" which is all about this technique. I hope this helps someone.

- Sneezles
I have been sneezing for more than 6 years all year round. Been to allergist 4 times, at first it was trees and grass which has nothing to do with my all year round sneezing. Then dust pollen, I had everything clean in my house, nothing has change. Been to chest x-rays and ct scans, nothing has been found. I tried every anti-histamine and nose spray I could possibly buy and my doctor prescribed, nothing has changed. I am desperate and frustrated.
I read these comments and am so glad that I am not alone!!  BUT.... my "sneezing days" are becoming more frequent and it's driving me crazy.  Now I have one day of sneezing and then need the next day to recover because I am so tired and sore.  I have seen six different doctors, all with no relief.  What I do not understand is the fact that this sneezing seems to last for no more than 24 hrs, then it's done.   Why?   I keep food journals, weather journals, etc.  It happens here in PA, and also in Florida when we travel there.   I have been tested several times for allergies -- NOTHING.   I even went to the head of the ENT at a Pittsburgh hospital and she was perplexed.   I am thinking about trying acupuncture next -- has anyone tried that yet?
Avatar n tn
Im 17 yrs old, i am suffering from this sneezing thing from 2 yrs now..i have takes many anti-histamines and gone to ENT. I have a deviated septum too. stuffed sinuses too i guess.. and headache (some times the back of my head too).  My sneezes occur due to any type of strong artificial/synthetic smell (food, perfume etc.) i used to sneeze very violently till few months ago... but now there comes a strong urge to sneeze and runny nose.. and I'm not able to SNEEZE !!  I feel so restless after this sensation thing hits me.. what should i do pls suggest something :-(

***@****
Avatar n tn
I think I have an answer for for your sneezing. I used to sneeze myself a lot and a friend offered help and it was gone or at least slowed way down. If you want to email me I can go over it with you..
John
***@****
Who all! I've read so many comments on here and I just don't know what to do. I'm a 31 yr old male who has a terminal lung condition requiring me to be on 5L oxygen and I am unable to walk do to a condition in my legs. I have had sneezing spells since I was about 20. They are getting worse though. To the point where I can breathe anymore and start losing all the feeling in my hands and arms from lack of oxygen. Then for about 10 min afterwards, I have this almost uncontrolled sniffling that feels like I'm going to sneeze some more. I'm already on so many meds I don't want to add a script if I don't have to but I can't take this much longer.its going to literally kill me one of these times...
we are also sneezing a lot and very forcefully ..its seems like allergies ..but they are doing a lot of aerial spraying and I on researching see many toxins are being sprayed ..I also get headaches and sinisitis
My son having sneezing problem for the past 3 years. Once in 5 days having sneezing day (heavy sneezing through out a day). If taking antihistamine will be controlled. Not sure what is this. Did all the allergy test and tried all the medicines. Tried to find reasons from various food items. What ever we do, it is confirm that he is getting sneezing once in 5 to 6 days. That day will be a tough day for him. We couldn't find the reason. Any one can suggest?
read up on all the aerial spraying they are doing, the toxins they spray make many sick and sneezing is a main symptom.
omg I am so glad there are people on here that I can relate to!
I'm currently in the middle of a sneeze attack, at work of course, and I am getting so frustrated! NOTHING works!!!!!
I had same issues .. I tried to drink lot of water( as I could) in empty stomach  early morning . better now. Try for a week and see ..
In the middle of one of my rainy-day sneezing fits right now! I used to get them much more often. Now I take fexo-fenadine in the morning and Singulair at night, and that has reduced at least the number of times I get the fit. I add Sudafed during a fit, and sometimes that helps (not today). I've also had some luck with ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation. Honestly, I think it's a buildup of a lot of different things mentioned here, not one single thing, which would explain why it's so difficult to diagnose.
That really stinks. If things aren't bad enough already having to deal with sneezing fits that in itself makes life miserable or should I say more miserable.
Hope it quits for your sake, good luck, I know how bad they can be and I wish I had advice. I do use a HEPA (I think that's what it's called) filter. I'm sure it helps but doesn't cure the problem. Maybe worth a try for you?
I posted about 18 months ago in agreement with the original poster around sneezy days - I visited my doctor today (eventually, 6 years later) and she suggested non-allergic vasomotors rhinitis. I'd googled my symptoms before and had come across this, so am hopeful. It's a generic title for a still misunderstood thing, but she has prescribed Rinatec nasal spray (ipratropium bromide) which I'm only to use on my sneezy days. It's months since I had an attack, but when I next do, I'll check out the spray and report back.
I could cry reading all of this. I have felt as though I am the only person in the world suffering from this problem. My entire day has been a write off yet again because of my uncontrollable sneezing. I wake up in the middle of the night with the driest nostrils and I don't stop sneezing. Today it started at 7am and ended around 8pm. Its so exhausting just can't figure out what it is. Dust, mould, perfume, weather, god knows what does this. I try my best to avoid what I can but nothing helps :(
I too have this problem. it started about six or seven years ago. It's like clockwork every day. Soon as my alarm clock goes off I start with a persistent sneeze tickle..the tickle gains strength until it turns into a crazy sneeze attack. My first sneeze attack of the day will usually consist of between 100 and 300 sneezes.. they're very powerful. And extremely loud. To make it worse I'm very embarrassed by it..after the first sneeze attack of the day ends. It will usually be calm for an hour or two. But then sure enough the tickle comes back and I will start feeling the second sneeze attack of the day building up. then once it hits I go nuts. its funny it takes sometimes a little bit of time to get them going but then when it hits I will do hundreds in a row. it's made daily life routines very difficult. sometimes even getting on the highway during the day is a gamble because I never know how they will come. usually a couple of hours after the second sneeze attack the third one will start building up. it's really hard to explain the feeling. It's a very strong sneeze tickle. but usually when I feel like this I start getting very nervous and sometimes even a little shaky. the sneezes are so powerful and throw my back out, or hurt my neck and you see by the end of the day I lose my voice because the sneezes are so powerful and loud. I've seen doctors and allergist an acupuncturist but nobody can get her idea on what's going on. lately and my doctor is just saying and I'm just going to be a person that sneezes a lot. I'd love to get some feedback here and possibly even talked to a few of you that are dealing with the same thing. Thanks so much and God bless all the sneezes
God bless you. I'm having a bad sneeze day also.
my boss built a support page on Facebook if your interested in joining
definitely let us know. And I have my attacks daily
I can relate
You all are not the only ones who suffer. Today is the second day of an attack which is rare for me. Years ago it would happen once every 3 or six months and now it's getting to once a week.  It completely incapacitates me. Help!
I find that when I'm tired, more fatigued than anything, the sneezing starts. And the sneezing gets more violent, racking my body and I am sore in my chest and ribcage the next day.  I wonder if the immune system has anything to with it?
Having been prescribed Rinatec nasal spray about 2 months ago, I had an attack 2 days later. It didn't work...... I had a small victory though after I literally took the contents of my meds drawer.  Same again today, attack came on around 9 am and lasted until about 6pm when I dosed up on: antihistamine,  ibuprofen,  anadin extra and sudafed.  Honestly,  about half an hour after taking them all I was better. I'm starting to wonder if it was a mix of the anti inflammatory ibuprofen and the sudafed.  Will try again much earlier next time and report back.
I have had these sneezing fits for years and started getting allergy shots (allergic to everything). I recently went back to the allergist after 2 yrs of shots and said they are not working, because i have sneezing fits where i sneeze 100+ times a day. The only thing that helps is laying down on my back. He said my problem is not allergies but instead nonallergic rhinitis. He perscribed me Ipratropium Bromide Nasal Solution. As i read up on it it says to avoid triggers like strong odors such as cleaners, perfumes etc. I do notice whenever i spray perfume i instantly sneeze. i hope this finally works for me, because it is emberassing having people continuously says "Bless you" and all i want to do is rip my nose off.
The nose spray is working!!!!  My nose is dry but it is better than the sneezing.
I've had a problem with continuous sneezing and/or a sinus headache whenever the barometric pressure drops. I went through the "allergy tests" ...was told I was allergic to my cat (only when it's going to rain or snow??) and spent thousands of $$ on antihistimines. After a 5 day run of sneezing when we had 4 days of snow, I went to the emergency room and told the doctor, jokingly, that I thought I was allergic to the weather....after 20 years of this problem, he confimed my suspicions...YES!!! I swear I can predict the weather better than any TV weatherman/woman, lol...as sometimes these symptoms start a day or so before rain/snow. After much research, I found that a nose spray with a steroid helps stop the sneezing (i.e., Nasi-Cort...nose sprays like Afrin DO NOT WORK).
Most of the time, even cheap, Family Dollar decongentent pills help the sinus headache (also when the barometer drops). However, I've had a sinus headache for 3 days now and those didn't work (live in FL, have had over a week of rain...cold (or warm) fronts moving through and yep, barometric pressure dropping). Usually all these symptoms stop after the front comes through, but because numerous fronts are coming through now, the symptoms continue. Can't wait for the weather to clear up!!!!
Trust me, I've paid attention to when I get these symptoms, had a doctor (yep, just one) confirm my idea, and tried the above remedies (nose spray w/steroid) and THEY DO WORK!!!  :)
This  has helped me a lot today thanks!
I call them - my sneezy days!!
I have suffered with this for years, tried to figure out what causes them, conclusions have changed over the years, from a change in barometric pressure, to nasal polyps, and everything in between.  Just hyper sensitive nasal passages perhaps, or is it because I need additional sleep.  My days often occur if I have not slept well, and zonking out on the sofa for a few hours often helps relieve the symptoms slightly.
Six weeks ago I started dieting at Slimming World, not had one of my sneezy days since!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh my goodness, could this really be an effective cure/remedy/whatever!!???  I thought my diet was OK before, but there must be something that has changed for this to have happened.  Main difference I can think of is bread, white bread, I am no longer eating white bread!!!!  
Just thought it was worth sharing, watch this space!!!  I'll probably have one of my days tomorrow now I have realised I haven't had one in 6 weeks! :)
Bless you
So sorry to read about all this suffering ... you have my deepest sympathies. I had something similar in my teens when my hormones were all over the place (I am female). I would have what my mother called 'one of your colds' and the main symptom was very runny nose and lots of sneezing for a day. I suffered every few months, and then grew out of it. Nowadays, it happens very occasionally. I was interested to read about the itch in one place that is almost s pain and that no amount of sneezes will relieve. I get hormone-related migraine and, thought the causes of migraine are not fully understood (and seem to vary from person to person), one commonality is the dilation of blood vessels. I wonder if something similar is behind this unusually extreme sneezing? Bless you all and I hope a cure is found very soon
having all of your symptoms too.  I have started swabbing the inside of my nostrils with Vaseline or Aquafor. What you put in the front of your nostrils will eventually migrate to the back. Within 30 minutes or so it seems to help. I'm guessing my old body is just not moist enough and the dryness causes the uncontrollable sneezing. After all, our body is designed to sneeze with irritation.
Every time I step outside, or even when a strong sun comes out from behind a cloud, I suddenly start having sneezing fits. They are so strong, I've brushed my chest, and even fallen over on the odd occasion, as I'm completely paralysed to do anything other than sneeze violently. Strong sunlight clearly is a trigger, but lately, it's becoming a joke, as yesterday, there was almost no end to my day long sneezing.
I also have had these sneezing fits for 15+ years now. Nothing helps except going back to sleep. Today: I took 1 claritin= No change. Later I took a Sudafed 12 hour type = No change. At about 12:30 I took 1000 mg of Ibuprofen = 1 hour later I can see and I have completely stopped sneezing and now am productive at work (aside from writing this!).

Next sneezing attack I will try the Ibuprofen right away and note my findings.

Good luck everyone!
I've had 2 of these attacks in the last 2 weeks and both times took sudafed, my Rinatec nasal spray and ibuprofen - the attacks stopped within the hour. I don't know if it's the ibuprofen or the combination but it's a blooming miracle.  To keep it in context, the sneezing stopped, but I still felt off colour, and a bit like a hangover,  but after having these attacks for over 10 years, it feels like real progress,
Viewing 201-246 comments: