Allergy Community
Vitamin D allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Vitamin D allergy

I am hoping to get information from anyone who knows about or has a vitamin D allergy.  

I've recently realized that Vitamin D causes me to itch.  The itch can start anywhere on my body and tends to spread over the course of 30 to 60 minutes.  

This always happens after taking Vitamin D capsules or tablets.  It often happens after having foods that are high in Vitamin D such as milk, cheese, raisins and red meat.

I would like to learn as much as possible about allergies to Vitamin D.  In particular, I'd like to learn how to deal with it?  Is there a treatment?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Just curious, what happens when you are out in the sun?  Your body should make vitamin D with sun exposure (unless you are wearing sunscreen).  If you don't have this reaction in the sun, I would say that it is an ingredient beside the vitamin in the supplements and to keep trying different options for one that works for you.  Or plan on getting 30+ minutes (depending on how much of your body is exposed) of sunscreen free exposure every day (tanning beds don't count).

Just some thoughts.  I pray that you find some answers.
Hi, welcome to the forum, few of the individuals are known to be allergic to vitamin D. Other possibilities are excess of vitamin D or lack of vitamin D is also associated with allergy. Other possibility is you may allergic to any other components of the formulations. But the cause for such event is not clear but many theories have put forth. In such cases Vitamin D containing food should be avoided like fortified milk, fatty fish and fish oils.

During the allergic attack, conditions can be treated by oral anti histaminics and corticosteroids. Prevention would be the best measure. I suggest you to consult allergy specialist. Take care and regards.

Hello Dr Rajput, my wife has multiple chemical sensitivity. She is unable to go out into the sunshine without breaking out in sores or feeling light headed. She is unable to take any type of artificial Vitamin D, especially No:  2 and 3,(ergo/cole). The allergies mostly started after she had intramuscular injections of Vitamin B12, it all went downhill after two of those. She really needs help but every doctor has seen has no idea at all,even endochronologists and immunologists, can you suggest anything ????.HELP!!!!
I am grateful for you, and so many others, posting here who have terrible reactions to vitamins and supplements.  I believe there are a lot more of us than anyone realizes.

I have all kinds of vitamins and minerals that make me sick or cause me to feel just terrible.  We all need to think about how much money is made off of these things.  We can't get it in our food, though.  I eat mostly foods that can be completely utilized by my body, but I can't get rid of my D3 loss.  I think it is because I grew up by the beach and had plenty, and then was moved to a terrible place where it is too hot in the summer and not enough solid sun to get ten minutes per day (as recommended) when it is over 50 degrees.  

My doctor will tell me I'm low on D and then I feel awful and have a ton of health issues, and I try to drop one drop of D into something for a few days and feel worse than I dd before.  And that isn't the only supplement I'm allergic to.  I'm allergic to so many things.

I think it is important to listen to what our body is telling us about everything we ingest.  This industry is expensive to the consumers and not perfect just because they are "organic" or "all natural."  

D3 is usually either a fish source (a big allergen for a lot of people) or lanolin which is usually from sheep.  So if you are allergic to wool or sheepskin, you will be allergic to lanolin.

Then, those of us with severe allergies to everything go look at these supplements that are supposed to help with allergies and what is in them?  Weeds, plants, herbs.  All of the things most of us are already allergic to!  Trust your body.