Allergy Community
Vitamin D allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Vitamin D allergy

I am hoping to get information from anyone who knows about or has a vitamin D allergy.  

I've recently realized that Vitamin D causes me to itch.  The itch can start anywhere on my body and tends to spread over the course of 30 to 60 minutes.  

This always happens after taking Vitamin D capsules or tablets.  It often happens after having foods that are high in Vitamin D such as milk, cheese, raisins and red meat.

I would like to learn as much as possible about allergies to Vitamin D.  In particular, I'd like to learn how to deal with it?  Is there a treatment?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Just curious, what happens when you are out in the sun?  Your body should make vitamin D with sun exposure (unless you are wearing sunscreen).  If you don't have this reaction in the sun, I would say that it is an ingredient beside the vitamin in the supplements and to keep trying different options for one that works for you.  Or plan on getting 30+ minutes (depending on how much of your body is exposed) of sunscreen free exposure every day (tanning beds don't count).

Just some thoughts.  I pray that you find some answers.
Hi, welcome to the forum, few of the individuals are known to be allergic to vitamin D. Other possibilities are excess of vitamin D or lack of vitamin D is also associated with allergy. Other possibility is you may allergic to any other components of the formulations. But the cause for such event is not clear but many theories have put forth. In such cases Vitamin D containing food should be avoided like fortified milk, fatty fish and fish oils.

During the allergic attack, conditions can be treated by oral anti histaminics and corticosteroids. Prevention would be the best measure. I suggest you to consult allergy specialist. Take care and regards.

Hello Dr Rajput, my wife has multiple chemical sensitivity. She is unable to go out into the sunshine without breaking out in sores or feeling light headed. She is unable to take any type of artificial Vitamin D, especially No:  2 and 3,(ergo/cole). The allergies mostly started after she had intramuscular injections of Vitamin B12, it all went downhill after two of those. She really needs help but every doctor has seen has no idea at all,even endochronologists and immunologists, can you suggest anything ????.HELP!!!!