Allergy Community
Vitamin allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Vitamin allergies

Hi there - I've discovered by trial and error that I'm allergic to something in certain multi-vitamin tablets.Apparently an allergy to the binding agent that is used is fairly common.  I develop ecsema (eczema) on my upper legs and occasionally on my eyelids.
Recently, I have been suffering from severe vertigo which has corrosponded with me taking a folic acid supplement and the multi-vitamin DS 24. After 4 weeks of desperation I stopped all the supplements but also saw a chiropractor.
My vertigo disappeared completely. After 3 days of being vertigo free I started the folic acid and DS 24 again.
Within 24 hours the vertigo (extreme) was back again. Do you think this is a co-incidence or could it be a reaction to one or more of the vitamins? Maybe someone has experienced something similar?
Welcome to the forum!
Allergies to vitamins per se are not known. You are right in guessing that the allergy could be due to some chemicals and coloring agents added to the pills. The best way to go about it is to get an allergy test done. Then you can take up pills which do not have the chemicals you are allergic to.
The other possibility is that these vitamin pills also cause some acidity. An existing acidity can get aggravated. This can also cause vertigo.
Vertigo can also be due to spinal nerve compression in the cervical spine region. This vertigo can benefit from a visit to chiropractor. It can then reappear once the affect of chiropractor’s therapy wanes off.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!