Allergy Community
Wasp sting on the eyelid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Wasp sting on the eyelid

My mother got stung yesterday on her eyelid above her eyelashes on her right eye.  It happened yesterday around 130 pm and immadiately after it happened she put ice on it and took some Benadryl and the swelling went down last night before we went to bed.  But, when we woke up this morning her eye was swollen half way shut and it was causing her a lot of discomfort. Is there anything we can do to make the swelling go down? or anything she should take? She is icing it now. Please let me know ASAP

Thanks!
She seems to be doing the right thing and as it is so near her eye some of the creams arent a good idea,if it is still swelling and looks inflamed and she feels bad Take her and get it checked out in case she is allergic and could have a reaction.If she doesnt want to do this just let some time go by and the swelling go down if it doesnt again a trip to the Hospital would be the best thing to do.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your mother? Has the swelling subsided? Are there other signs and symptoms present? Reactions to insect stings can be either immediate or delayed. If the ice is not helpful, and with the presence of discomfort and increased eye swelling, a visit to your doctor is the best option. It is also important to know that anaphylactic reactions such as   swelling of the tongue,  difficulty swallowing, hoarseness and wheezing, difficulty breathing or loss of consciousness  require prompt medical treatment. Take care and please do update us.
She is still not doing so well, the swelling is seeming to get worse and it is spreading through the whole side of her face as low as above her lips and then above her eye to about her hair line.  She also has a headache.  She said the actual sting is not causing her a lot of discomfort but the swelling is causing her pain.  She still has ice on it and I think we have agreed if the swelling has not gone down by morning that we are going to go see a doctor tomorrow.  She has no swelling of the tongue, or anything listed above.  If there is anything else we can do please let me know, as i said we are basically icing it now and she is taking tylenol for the pain.  Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your mother? How is the swelling?  If she is having a lot of discomfort, go to her doctor immediately for proper evaluation and management.Continue with the ice/cold compress and pain reliever. Though applying ice to a tissue has an anti-inflammatory effect and is often suggested as a treatment and pain management. Anti inflammatory medications can help but it's not advisable for people who have gastric issues. Take care and please do update us.
Do NOT put ice.  My doc said to put hot compresses. Also, I ended up with an infection and needed a high dose of antibiotics.  If u get a sting and after a day of cold compresses and benydral,  go to your doctor for you might have an infection.
It sounds like your mother has an infection. Also, the eye is a very delicate area (optic nerve, etc). I hope the Dr. gave her a tetanus booster as well. I hope everything is ok. My boyfriend got stung on the eyelid yesterday & be cause he does have a history of localized reaction to stings his eyelid was huge this morning. The Dr gave him two shots; one being a tetanus. He also prescribed oral antibiotics. I hope your mom has come out of this well.
I got stung yesterday late afternoon below the brow.  The sting did not hurt that much, but swelling was immediate.  My cheek  bone was bulging and area around eye was swollen as well.  At night took an antihistamine tablet.  When  I woke up,  the swelling was down to my jaw line, and the other eye, and cheekbone area were swollen as well. Stung half was turning red. Called a nurse and read up on wasp stings.  I decided to go to a clinic because I had a large local reaction, it had migrated to unstung area, and it was near the eye.  If it is in the eye or by the eye, go get it checked.  Phone nurse told me to go to emergency within 4 hours, but I told her I  wanted to try clinic first.  Doc said from a scale of 1-10 my swollen areas were an 8.  He suggested that insect allergy shot but said it was not absolutely necessary since I did not have wheezing, hoarseness, trouble breathing, etc.  Did prescribe steriods for a few days and Benaydril, ice paks.  Before hand,  took some arnica.  In 5 hours of taking medications, the swelling is going down.
The best treatment of wasp stings on the eye, which are extremely painful initially and then the swelling begins and causes discomfort is to take Apis Mellifica (Homeopathic) 4 tablets every 5-10 mins about 4 or five times and then at longer intervals in between.  Also take Arnica montana in the same way this will address the swelling and pain.  The Apis is to affect the reaction to the wasp poison.  Putting ice on the sting location may relieve some pain and slow down the swelling.  Stay calm and breathe deep focused breaths, it can be a very upsetting and shocking experience.
If the swelling continues call a doctor for a antihistamine treatment.  but this is the homeopathic treatment and it works if you are committed.