Allergy Community
Weird Sore/Dry Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Weird Sore/Dry Throat

Yesterday and today I've had somewhat of a sore throat? I think it's dryness but there is some soreness that I believe is caused by a combination of the itchiness and dryness. The weird part about this is, it's only one tonsil. I looked with a flashlight in a mirror and my tonsils didn't look quite swollen at all (I don't look at my tonsils really so I can't be 100% sure). Although, the left side of my neck hurts a little bit. I have a lot of tree pollen outside my house as well as the doors and windows are open frequently due to minor construction going on. I don't ever remember just one of my tonsils being dry or sore so this bothers me a little. Wondering if anyone knows what it could be.

Side Note: I haven't had a fever or been feeling "sick" at all through this. I can function normally.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, the symptoms you experienced could be due to a prodromal phase of an infection, before the actual signs are evident. The symptoms described could be due to an infection, most probably streptococcal or a viral infection. If you develop a fever, or if there is enlargement of the tonsils with pain or if there is white coating on the tonsils, you will need to consult your primary care physician for a strep test, which if positive you will be given antibiotics. In the meantime, take plenty of warm oral fluids. For further relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt water gargles Please ensure to do this prior to your meals.  Hope this helped and Do Take Care!