What are types of allergic reactions to Omega-3
At the suggestion of a friend, I recently started taking Omega 3 fish oil capsules.  I am also taking high blood pressure medication.  Over the past six months my medication has been changed four times as I've had a host of side effects from each medication.  Unfortunately, each side effect would occur in conjunction with some other change in my health/lifestyle so it was hard to detect or pinpoint what the cause of my problem was.  This recent condition is no exception.  My ankles began to swell on a regular basis and has been attributed to the medication.  When I started taking the Omega 3, I already had experienced some swelling of the ankles, but a week later, my eyelids started to get puffy and developed a rash.  I've been on Omega 3 for five weeks now and the puffiness has turned into swelling and the skin rash is getting itchy and scaly.  Could there be some by product in the capsules that may cause this problem?  Have you heard of any complaints such as this before?  I am not allergic to fish, I eat fish and fish products all the time.  My only known allergy is sulfur drugs.  
Thanks for the post!
Swelling of respiratory passage and rash has been reported with Omega3 fish oil capsules. The best way to find out is by not taking the capsule. Even if you have no allergy to fish, it could be due to some contaminants in the fish used, other ingredients in the capsule or to the concentrated oil in the capsule. You could also be sensitive to the capsule if you are sensitive to nuts and alpha linoleic acid.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

What the doctor said about contaminants in the fish oil capsules is right on.  This is why I keep telling my friends that it matters what brand you get to ensure where the fish are fished from and how stringent the tests are to ensure that there aren't polluted.  My naturopath recommended Carlson's or Nordic Naturals.  Mercola.com recommended Carlson's, too.  

The same principle that naturopaths use for discovering food allergies is by following the basic elimination diet for discovering food sensitivities and allergies.  They actually have folks stay away from all those foods for at least two weeks before testing each food item one at a time by eating enough of the suspected food once or twice in a day, then waiting three or four days and going back to the elimination diet during the time your waiting, to see if there is a reaction to that item.  If there isn't a reaction, then you can eat that item.  

Flax seed oil is a vegetarian omega 3 fatty acid, but I can't remember if it's because it contains alpha linoleic acid or not.  It does taste good and I don't have any problem with it, and I have a lot of food sensitivities and allergies.  
I am allergic to soy and shellfish. I watch for these ingredients. I also know from these posts to watch for overall quality.

Thank you.