Allergy Community
What is Celiac Sprue and DermatitisHerpetiformis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Celiac disease is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. Fortunately, people who have these disease can easily treat it by not eating any gluten, which is found in wheat, rye and barley. Some people with the disease are also unable to eat oats.

Dermatitis Herpetiformis is a severe, itchy blistering manisfestation that can occur with celiac disease. Not all people with celiac disease get this rash but those who do, usually get the rash on their knees, buttocks and elbows.

For more info, go to www.celiac.org

'Presently, the only effective treatment is a life-long gluten-free diet. No medication exists that will prevent damage, or prevent the body from attacking the gut when gluten is present. Strict adherence to the diet allows the intestines to heal, leading to resolution of all symptoms in the vast majority of cases and, depending on how soon the diet is begun, can also eliminate the heightened risk of osteoporosis and intestinal cancer.'

'Dietician input is generally requested to ensure the patient is aware which foods contain gluten, which foods are safe, and how to have a balanced diet despite the limitations. In many countries gluten-free products are available on prescription.'

You could read more about the condition at the following links -

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.
I was just reading an article about a possible new therapy for Celiac disease. If you are interesting in reading this, just google, "Research advances may help prevent and improve diagnosis of celiac disease (gluten intolerance)" and you will immediately find the article posted online.

Best,

PlateletGal

P.S. --- I thought I would also mention that after I begun treatment on the Marshall Protocol, my intolerance to gluten went away ! Celiac disease is listed on their website as a disease that the MP may be able to treat.