Allergy Community
What is causing my eyes to swell and should it have subsided by now?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

This is my first experience of an allergy. I have experienced swelling of my eyes, getting gradually worse over the last 5 days. It is also itchy but there is no itching or soreness inside the eyes. On the 3rd day I was prescribed antihistamines, which helped with itching somewhat but the swelling has only got worse. Its worse in the morning, and is above my eyes then, and as I move around during the day it drains to below my eyes, but I'm not sure that will happen today just due to the sheer quantity of fluid above my eye. I have not used any new cosmetics. I live in a student house and we do have quite a bit of mould, I very briefly dusted some off my windowsill on Sunday.. yep silly. The fact that it's getting worse makes me think I have not eliminated the allergen, any ideas? Please help, I am trying to revise for my exams and its very uncomfortable and playing on my mind a lot! The doctor made it sound like the antihistamines would solve the problem, how much time am I supposed to give them? Should I go back?!

You should continue with the medications and wash your eyes several times daily with fresh water.

Avoid sun exposure and re consult with your doctor if the symptoms still persist or worsen .

Let us know about how you are doing and post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I went back to the doctor and he prescribed me hydrocortisone cream and prednisolone.  I will start them tomorrow and hopefully the inflammation will subside. But I don't understand if this will solve the problem or temporarily relieve it. We'll see what happens.
hi,

at the moment, some relief from the swelling and discomfort, would be the most important matter. later of course, a better treatment would be required.

keep me posted and let me know if you  may need any other information.

best regards

Thanks, the inflammation has totally gone now. Still itching though, when the antihistamine wears off. Hmm.. do you know if I will be kept on steroids or is that unsafe? I only have enough until Wednesday and my next appointment is on Friday.

Thanks again

Selina

Glad the post was of some help to you and that you are doing better now.

If your symptoms persist you would be given setroid medications for a short course and at low dose.

This is safe and does not cause the typical side effects associated with steroid medications.

Keep me posted and let me know if you  may need any other information.

best regards
Hi, just to conclude (hopefully!). I went for my follow-up appointment at the doctors and he says things are looking good since I have been without steroids for two days and the swelling hasn't returned. However, if it does return he will refer me to an immunologist.
Still none the wiser what caused it but hopefully it won't return.

Thanks agains

It is great to know that you are doing well and that you are symptomatically much better now.

It would help to review with your doctor in some time.

Also follow up if you have any abnormal symptoms.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you need any further information.

Regards.
Hi, my allergy returned. I noticed it was after using a moisturiser again, so I have stopped using that. I also tested it on my hand and it caused a mild rash. I'm not exactly sure what I should be avoiding though because the moisturiser has many ingredients. I notice it has a lot of plant extracts in, e.g marigold, so I guess one of those may be the culprit.
It is good to know what is causing the allergy though (I hope I'm right).

Whilst I'm on the topic of allergies. I've had this all my life but only really thought about it recently after these events.. is it normal to have rashes on your legs after baths or showers? I seem to get this quite frequently, but it disappears after 20 mins or so, and its not really itchy. My skin is very reactive to any kind of heat or irritation, its annoying!

Best regards

This could be allergic reactions to unknown substances, skin hypersensitivity, eczema, dermatitis .

You should avoid substances you have documented allergies to.You should not scratch or pick at the lesions as this would cause secondary bacterial infection.

Do you notice the lesions trigerred in response to a specific stimulus in the past? Try to avoid substances that you have have shown allergic reactions to.

Have you had allergic reactions in the past?

Apply calamine lotion at the site and take some oral antihistamine medications for your symptoms.  

It would be advisable to consult an allergy specialist for your symptoms and get a proper clinical evaluation done. You should also talk to him/her about getting an allergy test done.  

Let us know if you have any doubts and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Good luck.