Allergy Community
Wheezing, Coughing at night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Wheezing, Coughing at night

I'm a 23 year old male, who takes Singuliar, 10mg, daily for asthma symptoms.  However for the past few nights, I have been wheezing and coughing in bed at night to the point it disrupts my sleep, leaving me dragging the next day.  During the day I do not wheeze and cough, just laying down at night in bed.  Should I go see my doctor, or is this something due to change in weather (it has become noticably cooler in this area the past couple days), or something the medication will correct in time?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I'd see your doc for a look/see and PFT testing to see what's going on.  You may need an albuterol and/or steroidal inhaler and the PFT tests will help determine what's going on.  May be inflammation and night is when it rears its ugly head sometimes :(

Keep us posted and WELCOME!

Also --- croup can happen with a sharp change of temp.  It's tricky so the PFT is extremely beneficial for your Dr.

C~
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your wheezing may not be controlled with Singulair alone. As, Singulair (montelukast) is used to prevent asthma attacks in adults and children. Singulair 10mg tablets contain the active ingredient montelukast, which is a type of medicine known as a leukotriene receptor antagonist.  You may need regular inhaled corticosteroids and short-acting beta agonist such as salbutamol, to relieve your symptoms. Nebulization may help. Sometimes, steroids may be needed to control the symptoms. Would advise you to consult your doctor at the earliest for evaluation and therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.