Allergy Community
Wheezing when breathing but doctor says chest is clear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hi. To make this short, I've been sickly for a few months now. I have recently added wheezing in my chest when I breathe to my symptoms. It doesn't happen all the time just several times thru out the day. My doctor sad my lungs sound clear a he did a chest X-ray which he said looked okay also. My question is- the wheezing is very obviously there though... Something has to be causing it. But with a clear X-ray I'm confused. Could it be allergies or do you Gus hve any other ideas??
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, Fine wheeze may not be auscultated sometimes. Also, wheezing is not visible on X rays, though X rays may help to see an underlying lung condition. You can go for lung function tests; this will help determine if there is Asthma or other restrictive lung diseases. The wheezing may be triggered by allergens. There is an entity called exercise induced Asthma, here as the person starts exercise, the changes in the environmental air breathed in trigger an attack of asthma, causing cough and breathlessness. Have yourself evaluated for the same. This can be detected by a spirometry test. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.
Thank you ! I have recently ( last couple years) developed allergies to my animals that include stuffy nose and congested sinuses. Could the wheezing be a side effect of those things ?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, wheezing reflects bronchospasm, this can occur due to asthma and due to other conditions like chronic bronchitis. Allergic responses can cause Rash, Allergic Rhinitis, Sinusitis, Asthma and Allergic Conjunctivitis.  What you described is allergic rhinitis. Another allergic response is the bronchospasm and asthma.  Not all people who have allergic rhinitis develop asthma.  It just shows that people who show allergic responses are also more prone for asthma. This is more so if you have a positive family history.  An allergy specialist can help detect the allergens and desensitize you. Take care.
Thank you for the advice. I was tested ~ 2-3 years ago for asthma and they said I didn't have it back then. Can it be developed ?