Wheezing while exhaling
I caught a pretty bad cold that lasted 2-3 days; following that I have been coughing and wheezing when I exhale.  I have lots of plegm as well.  This is my 3rd day of wheezing.  Should I see a doctor?  I am 50+ year-old female; Type II diabetic for 2 years now.

This discussion is related to wheezing while exhaling.

How are you?

Wheezing is a whistling, musical sound during breathing resulting from partially obstructed airways. It may be caused by widespread narrowing of the airways (as in asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and some severe allergic reactions), by a local narrowing (as with a tumor), or by a foreign object lodged in an airway. Infections such as pneumonia or bronchitis andviral infections like a cold can sometimes cause wheezing.

Inyour case,I think that it can be due to the cold that you are having. Viral infections like a cold can cause inflammation of the airways of the lungs.  This inflammation can cause coughing and wheezing.  After the cold is gone, it is possible for the inflammation to last for several weeks to months. This is called reactive airways disease (RAD).Symptoms are close to asthma.It can be diagnosed only be chest auscultation as spirometry is not always useful.Treatment is by inhalational steroids and oral steroids in severe cases.

In my opinion,consultation of a respiratory physician will help you in confirming the diagnosis and starting with the treatment.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.