Will face mask help keep out smoke?
I'm 40yrs, have hayfever,sneeze when perfume/house chemicals are used and when dust is disturbed and hoovering get a tight chest.I visit 2 ladies,once a week *A =smokes a few rollups a day and ventilates her house,twice a week*B = has cigarettes 10-20 aday no ventilation.*A is ok and only get discomfort when she smokes in my presence,1 rollup over 2 hours .*B for a visit between 2-10 mins before and after walking her dog, the moment I step into her house I have a discomfort and if she's recently smoked or still having one then a tight chest and throat, the feeling lasts for most of the day and still have smoke breath and phlem, in the last 2 weeks also getting headache which lasts an hour. Would a mask help keep out the smoke or its chemicals or are there any nasal filters?  I would still get a tight chest if someone passed me outside while smoking 'proper' cigarettes. thank you for your replies.

Because of the allergic reactions you have to dust/smoke/fumes/etc you need to avoid these completely.

Try to avoid smoke - even passive smoke - whether you are symptomatic or not at the time. Also avoid exposure to pets or animals as they could also precipitate or aggravate your symptoms.

You should consult an allergy specialist and chest physician for your complaints and see what they have to say about the extent of your problem and any possible remedy medications.

You could try oral anti-histamine or antiallergic medications and see if it helps with your symptoms.

Let us know about any doubts that you have and also post us on how you are doing.

Regards.

You might also consider looking into homeopathy. I know there are homeopathic remedies to help with allergy symptoms to both smoke and some chemicals.

How are you doing now? Have you taken any medications as yet?

Keep us posted if you have any doubts.

Regards.
Sorry it's been so long, thank you for your replies. After your suggestion of using an antihistamine I started taking Telfast early, for my hayfever which is due May/June. Well it's done the trick, I don't get a tight chest anymore or breathing problems when I visit my smoking friend. If it's not too cold I stand inside her back door with it wide open to let fresh air in while I get her dog on the lead. On a rare occasion, last week I had tea with her and she smoked twice , and still I was ok. I just can't stand the smoke breath that I get afterwards for most of the day. I will check with my G.P. if I can take the Telfast all year round. Again thank you

It is nice to know that you are better and the post was of help to you.

Try to avoid smoke - even passive smoke - whether you are symptomatic or not at the time.

Telfast or fexofenadine can be taken but you need to discontinue it in between for a couple of days.

You should also try steam inhalation, saline nasal drops and see if it helps with your symptoms.

Regards.