Allergy Community
Xolair & Chronic Urticaria

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Xolair & Chronic Urticaria

I suffer from Chronic Urticaria and andiogema. Im sixteen years old and like in the United Kingdom. I have tried every anti-histiame and all steriods and all that have resulted is weight gain and tiredness. My doctor mentioned Xolair and from what I have been reading on the forums is that people within a Amercia have found the results amazing. The one problem with the injection is finding a doctor who whill do it and funding. Amercians seem to claim off insurance but I don't know what I can do here in the United Kingdom? Any thoughts? Also anything else I can try in the wait for my appointment with the doctor? Im my last legs, I have no life at the moment. Please help...
I feel so bad for you.
I'm not sure ( other than the anti-histamines and steroids ) of what you have tried.

If you would like something ( non-prescription wise ) I have many friends in the Alternative Therapies and Complementary Medicine Forums that may be able to help you better than I could.

I'm guessing that you have had allergy testing done by this point.
Do you avoid your triggers or are they unavoidable?

As far as what is available in your area...I'm in Canada and I don't know how things work over there...but I'm sure someone else will be able to point you in the right direction.

Thank you for your comment. I have tried every anti-histamine. I have 'chronic urticaria'  which is to do with the immune system and not anything allergic. That would be great? But what other tablets do you suggest? Yes in the UK I will properly have to ding the £600 and injection myself. Well my parents will, I just hope the national health service will pay for it.. But single I doubt it! Thankyou for your comment you've given me hope :-)
Hi i have just read your comments and i am exactly the same as you . i have been at the end of my tether . i have suffered for years i am 41 . chronic urticuria and andiogeme its a nightmare . i have been told its my immune system too so it could flare at any time . i am on loratadine and benadryl 3 of each a day and doxepin 75mg at night which is an antidepressaant which blocks the histamine supposidly !! however i am still suffering and would love something to help me live a normal life !!! iam off to the docs today again to see if there is anything else available , i hold my breathe tho !!!! nice to know someone else is like me !!! will let you know how i get on xx any luck on the injection x catherine worcerstershire
Did you have any luck at the doctors? They have recently told me at the Bristol Childrens Hospital that I will have to try every drug until I will be elligable for Xolair & even then  the NHS might not fund it. Its ridiclous really. In Americia people can get it on there insurance, contemplating whether to go out of the country at the moment. By parents can not afford it but at the moment I have no quality of life at all. Im june back at the hospital on June the 6th so will keep you updated. Is nice to know theres someone out there who knows what I'm going through! xxx