Allergy Community
Zyrtec vs Xyzal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Zyrtec vs Xyzal

I have had hives since July this year. I had them about 7 years ago, they lasted about a year. I'm taking Zyrtec (once a day), Zantac (2 / day), Doxepin (150 mg @ bedtime), and Benadryl as needed. I had been on prednisone on and off since July but my doctor has taken me off of it (for obvious reasons). Unfortunately nothing I've taken other than prednisone has worked. My hives are particularly associated with pressure (underwear) - Since September i have worn a tank top under my clothes due to hives associated with wearing a bra. Since there are times that my clothing requires wearing a bra (like yesterday) and sure enough, hives were back by last night. Very, very itchy.... i drank a ton of Benadryl (the liquid version since that works more quickly than pills). I am ready to ask my doctor about other options - Xyzal, Atarax (I do have a quickly dimishing number of these pills from when I had to go to the emergency room), and perhaps dapsone. Does anyone have experience with these drugs? Right  now, i'm sitting here feeling so itchy (better than last night, but not good) and discouraged. I would appreciate others experience. Thanks!
First of all I have to say I feel your pain and frustration.  I'm 35 and I've been dealing with hives since I was 18.  At 18 I had hives for four months,  the cause was never found, and they went away.  I had another episode five years ago which lasted about five months (head to the bottom of my feet).  They never found the cause then either.  And now I'm going through it again.  This time it started in May.  I sought the help of an allergist who put me on Zantac 150mg BID, Allegra 180mg BID, Zyrtec 10mg QD and a course of prednisone.

Prednisone is the only drug that works but the Allergist doesn't want me to take this everyday (for obvious reasons).  I saw him last week to talk to him about other alternative drugs because nothing is working.  He put me on Xyzal.  I was told that it's new here but they've been using it in Europe for some time.  I've been taking it for four days now.  It hasn't stopped the hives completely but I'm giving it some time and praying every time I put one in my mouth.

I should mention that those people who have been suffering with hives for months test positive for antibodies against their mast cells (mast cells release histamine).  This is a new test and it suggests an autoimmune process rather than an allergic one, but the treatment stays the same.  The doctors treat the symptoms but not the cause.  They're not that savvy yet.  Also some test positive for antibodies against their thyroid.  If the TSH is elevated also this could be Hashimoto's thyroiditis, another autoimmune disorder, which has hives as a symptom.
Diane, have you ever had yourself tested for food allergies???  I did a couple of months ago and found several, since I have made a very concerted effort to elimate these food items (eggs, milk, yeast, etc) from my diet my hives have almost completely disappeared.  I tried for my son's wedding to eat just a small piece of cake and lo and behold HIVES.  I looked like I had been attacked by bees.  If I stay within my diet restrictions I am a much happier, less itchy person.  It might be worth a try.
Has the Xyzal worked?
I have hives on and off my whole life.  I just turned 40.  The Prednisone does work for me, but I don't want to take it anymore (for obvious reaons)  The doctor does know that mine is caused by certain lotions, detergents, and crams I put on my skin.  He figured that out a long time ago, when I was 20...The chemistry of lotions and other things such as soaps change on a regular basis.  Also, they have discovered I am allergic to latex....when I wore latex gloves in a setting I worked in...hives all over my hands.  I am now giving the XYZal a chance.  I hope it works...makes me a little sleepy, but it is worth it not to be itching.  I really am fortunate in having a great doctor.  He has tried several meds with my case, but I am trying to not have a lot of meds in my system.  I hope this will work.  
Hi, I'm Andre (38) from Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Here Xyzal is prescribed by doctors since 2001 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xyzal), (http://www.xyzal.com/).
I'm using it since two years now because of allergy of particles in the air (like dust) upon inhaling. It works very well (I feel about 90% better) and I have no side effects.  
It says it is effective against hives as well.
Also I saw these advertisements: www.hivotin.com  and  www.hivotab.com
I really hope your problems will improve.
Good luck.
I live with hives every day. And have done so for a long time.I have severe allergies and vocal cord wheezing. I have been getting allergy injections for 38yrs. I have tried almost every OTC and Rx allergy med.The CAUSE is the key. My hives are generally caused from my allergies. But the vocal cord wheezing is from BOTH allergies and GERD.
I have been taking the Xyzal for about a week. I do not see a difference. I still need to take Benadryl through out the day. I also tried the Zyrtec - seemed to last about 12hrs as well. One did not seem any better than the other. Its like the Claritin going to Clarinex.
If it is a PRESSURE issue, antihistamines may not help at all. You need to lessen the pressure. Is it an ELASTIC issue? I also have MANY environment issues - including Latex. If it is an reaction to elastic, it could explain why the Prednisone worked. If I have a severe enough reaction (but not enough to make me go to the hospital), steroids is the only thing that will help.
As for antihistamines: 6hr meds last about 3hrs, 24hrs meds might last 8-12hrs and 12hr meds about 6-8hrs. The allergy injections have helped greatly. I am no longer sick 3 months of the year.
Good Luck - I am still looking for answers myself. I am now happy if I don't have anaphylactic reactions with my shots, foods or environment.
Sheri
Hi, I came across this forum. Today, I was given a prescription of Xyzal.  I am researching on it now, coz the first time I took it, I had to stop it after only 2 days due to headache. But since November 2007, the first time I had wheals, till now, my urticaria has not left me.  I'd have wheals almost daily, especially when am exposed to cold and after playing volleyball. The Virlix I was taking at daytime wasn't working.  At night, I'd take Iterax and Ketotifen (Zaditen), and when I wake up, the wheals are gone.  They are highly sedating.  But since my wheals still appear daily, I'm currently going through a lot of tests to find out exactly what's causing my urticaria. # 1 suspect is still the Tetralysal I took for 5 months.  Auto-immune disorders are also being ruled out.  In the meantime, I need help to relieve and minimize the urticaria episodes which is why my new doctor told me to shift to Xyzal, which incidentally was the very first med prescribed to me except that i had to discontinue it due to headaches. Now, with the positive articles I saw on the web, saying it would relieve wheals, I'm giving it another try.  I hope I respond to it well.  God bless to all of us allergy sufferers... Thanks!  hope to get more feedback on Xyzal.  Sorry this is quite long... : )
I have been on claritin, clarinex, zyrtec and xyzal.  I am continuing with zyrtec now becaue of the cost of xyzal ($200/3mo) due to my healthcare selectively removing antihistamines from the formulary.  Xyzal was definitely better for me than any of the others, and I have something more than the standard statement to go with that.

Last week I had an allergy test done.  RAST/Interdermal type.  Right arm had something around 30 shots of different types of allergens and I was not taking any antihistamines as to not interfere with the test.  As soon as the test was over, I was given a xyzal tablet and prescription.  

Tablet swallowed then left. Within the hour all the reaction spots from the test were gone, only small bloodmarks remained and absolutely no itching.  24 hours later I had found out about the price and that this medicine was based on zyrtec which I had taken before and found decent.  I take my meds before bed, so I waited till evening but my shot marks from the previous day started to come back, itchy and swolen.  So rather than pay 200 bucks I took the zyrtec.  The shot  inflamation (inflammation) spots went down to about 10-20% of original, and in fact are still down a few days later but NOT gone like what the xyzal did.  They are visible and itch.

To me this is a pretty clear example that in the case of my body physiology, xyzal is a better medicine.  If it wasnt so darn expensive I would take it.  Then again, I am spending that same money on allergy drops so hopefully I won't need anything eventually.  
Ive had hives (plus swollen lips and at times, eyelids and eye area)since April  07; had allergy tests on arms  , had blood tests and poo analysed.
No result. Should I do food tests myself?..Home pharmacy kit? Should I get thyroid tested? What do you  reckon on hivotin? If its good then we'd all be cured?
Im on 1 antihistamine tablet a day (tried Xyall Claratin and benadryl:all make me drowsy)
I dont have emergency andrenaline;should I?
Thanks hive sufferers  It's a real pain...
Hi, I have been dealing with hives on and off mostly on for the last five years...was living in San Francisco, and have recently moved to the Central Valley , CA, in January of 08, and they have increasenly gotten worse....whats the cause, who knows, have been to the emergency room three times with my throat about to close up...have epi pen....causes? Heat, alcohol, stress,tomatoes, sun exposure( forget the tan) cats, dogs, fleas, parents? who knows, but it seems to be happening in full effect at least on big flare up once a month, especially rt before my period....always itching, eyes swell up, lips, it looks like someone beat me up...hands swell up like clubs and my feet too, I know what it does to your self esteem....it *****!!!!!  am getting blood work tomorrow, but was given the prescription for Xyzal, and it sounds good, the europeans usually know best, so I am going to pay the price and fill the prescription...so we will see.........
Me too , I have had Hives or Chronic Urticaria since Mid May after Dental Work, I live in Southern CA , the doctors I have seen gave me HYdroxyzene which made me feel sick and I had pains similar to a Gall Bladder attack and I read Hydroxyzine can cause viral infections, , I have also been given topical cream, but it is steroid so I use sparingly.ant histimes ease the itch but they make me feel so tired even the "non Drowsy ones, I am researching my self and looking for Natural Remedies now. I may give Zyrtec a chance,as it seems to recomended here.I also have Dermographism,that is I break out in lines and marks all over if I run a pen down my arm the mark comes up with the buning immediatly. Any ideas and suggestions out there.
I went to the doctor and he put me on loratadine, and ranitidine, and gave me a prescription for  Xyzal, they also did blood work to check thyroid, liver, ect and food, pet alllergies.....havn't got results back yet..but when my whole hand and fingers swelled up like a club recently, now that its over, now my skin is peeling...does it ever end?
I have found something that WORKS. I started on PATANASE Nasal spray in June. It has made a significant difference in my life. I no longer have short of breath, vocal cord wheezing or HIVES. The Patanase was for Allergic Rhinitis. But it has resolved my hive issues as well. I am down to using 1 Benadryl in a day instead of 6-8 tabs. Also, I am down to 1 Claritin a day.
Another good allergy med is Zadator opth for itchy eyes. It works much better than Visine-A and is over-the-counter.
Sheri
Hello fellow hives sufferers! My story with hives goes back to 2000. I had them non-stop for about a year and a half. I saw all the dr's, allergy specialists, etc. They were not much help and I found their ***** allergy tests not very accurate either. So I started checking myself for allergies by watching my reactions to each food. Did the food make me tired, heart beat faster, feel strange? If so I cut it out. I also started acupuncture treatments to remove allergies (NAET - google it) which I think had the biggest impact in eliminating my hives. I have been hive-free for years at a time, and only get an outbreak maybe once or twice a year, usually when very stressed by something. When I get them I see the acupuncturist and after 2-3 tx the hives are gone again. Large doses of Vit C (buffered form) will give short-term relief (2-3 grams per dose). Cool showers also give short-term relief. Reducing stress and other burdens on your body (drugs, bad food, substances you are allergic to, etc.) reduce chances for hives. Try to find the root problem causing your hives - it is possible just a lot of work. Best of luck to us all!
for 6 months I have been trying to figure out this full body itch, rash, hives, burning,wheals thing I've had.  Dermatologis told me it is dermatographism or Urticaria.  Which basically means I can write on my skin by applying pressure.  Everythin that I lean on gives me a swollen rash that itches.  Even holding my baby gives me the rash on my arms.  I tried everything (benadryl, prednisone, claritin, alegra, calamine lotion, hydrocorizone cream, and benadryl cream)  with little to no relief.  It woke me at night, it itched so bad at times.  He prescribed xyzal.  Even after the first dose the itch was gone.  I still got hives from everything but not as much swelling and it didn't itch.  I missed my follow up appt. so I bought zyrtec at the store and it only works about 50% as good.  I still itch an swell just not enough to make me wake at night to itch.  They may be practiclly the same drugh, but there is definetally a difference.  Good luck to all of us!!!!
Do a search here on allergies associated with bras.
I was prescribed xyzal in Aug, but I've been taking it on and off with allegra.  I think xyzal and allegra have about the same effect on my hives.  I've had chronic hives on and off since 1991.  I've had allergy tests done but the tests were inconclusive since I was allergic to almost everything they gave me.  I'm afraid to go back for the blood tests because they'll probably just tell me that it was inconclusive too.
Hi everyone....I went to my drugstore to get my new script of Xyzal filled. It was $89.00. I asked the pharmacist what the diff was between this and zyrtec....she said that the 2 mirror each other....identical. Biggest difference was the outrageous price. I opted for the zyrtec and had her put the script back in stock.
Hi everyone,
I'm new to hives.  I've had a limited case on my hands (fingers) since end of June after putting on a latex glove accidentally (it's now the end of Nov.).  In mid-Oct. the thing spread to my arms.  I tried Xyzal (allergist's recommendation) and it spread further.  They had me try Allegra, it made it worse.  The only thing that seems to  calm the hives down is Benadryl and prednisone.  I also use a steroid cream (for 10days).  I'm into about 5 weeks of this.  Exercise (I do ballroom) makes the cycle starts all over again, so I'm really afraid my greatest pleasure in life is about to end.  

I just gave 4 vials of blood today to get thyroid, liver, etc. checked.  BTW, to the gal in San Francisco who moved to the Central Valley, it's the fertilizers, etc. in the air that's making you crazy.  I moved to an ag town from the SF Bay Area and got adult onset asthma within a year.  All the allergist said to me was, "Welcome to ___ (name of the town).  Agh.  We turn over 3 crops a year and I do notice my asthma is bad when they are tilling the soil or spraying the crops.

Has anyone else had a bad reaction to Xyzal?  My doctor is really pushing it, so I'm suspecting kickbacks from the manufacturer.
I never heard of Xyzal, but I can comment on the medications that people are taking for the GERD.  The comments about food allergies are right on the money.  One thing that no one ever mentions about these acid reducers and proton pump inhibitors is that they actually make the problem with GERD worse.  A friend of mine with similar problems to mine was using the same proton inhibitor at the same dosage that I was on for two years.  She told me that it ended up destroying the linings of her stomach and small intestine.  She has to get vitamin B shots weekly for the rest of her life now.  As soon as she told me that, I stopped taking the stuff altogether.  Besides, it was starting to make me feel nauseous all the time.  

After that another friend of mine told me about the connection to food allergies.  Ah ha!  When I started the basic food elimination diet, I didn't even know that's what I was doing.  I was just removing things that I knew I was having a reaction to.  Some time later, my chiropractor told me about a naturopath who works with low-income people on a sliding fee schedule.  Most insurance carriers won't cover naturopathic doctor visits.  I'm fortunate that mine will even cover chiropractic.  It was when I first started seeing the naturopath that I even heard about the elimination diet.  She told me that I had already instinctively eliminated everything on the basic elimination diet.  So, I had already figured out that I was sensitive or allergic to all the big items on the basic elimination diet.

The friend who mentioned food allergies being connected to GERD said she had accidentally discovered the connection when she took Benadryl because her sinus allergies were bothering her.  Her GERD was bothering her, too.  A few minutes after she took the Benadryl, the burning stopped bothering her so much, and she was able to get some sleep that night.  After that, she did more investigating and found out that she had a ton of food allergies.

So, when she told me this, I discovered that all of this was the same for me.  Now that I'm avoiding the foods that are the biggest problem for me, I don't have nearly as much of the burning from the GERD.  The bonus is that by avoiding the food allergies, I lost a huge amount of weight and my total cholesterol went down.  I'm no longer pre-diabetic and my fasting blood sugar is where it's supposed to be.

I still have problems with other allergies, which is why I joined this forum, and other health concerns, but this big problem has finally been whittled down to size and is much more manageable.  

Another bonus that may be of interest to other women is that after I cut out dairy and gluten, as I've discovered lactose and gluten intolerances, I don't have as many problems with my periods as I used to and I no longer get the giant blood clots.  

My diet is pretty limited, but it's better than suffering so many side effects from food allergies.  I eat only high quality natural foods now, too.  The list of allergies is pretty extensive.  I no longer drink coffee or real tea or any kind of soda.  Drinking large amounts of soda is a big part of many peoples' lives, but it really only damages peoples' health in so many ways.  High quality filtered water is much better for people.

Like everyone else, I've experienced unexplained hives and eczema.  I never did find out why this happens to me either.  I am definitely allergic to rubber/latex.  It takes so long for these things to go away and stop bothering me.  I've got some kind of rash on my back and arms right now that really feels like it's burning.  If I wasted my time seeing a doctor, the doctor wouldn't know what to do for this either, except prescribe steroid creams and ointments and expect me to use this stuff over large portions of my body.  

But, I don't get this as often as I used to since I started using natural, plant-based dish liquids and laundry powders.  I was getting such terrible eczema on my hands that people were avoiding any contact with me.  As if I wanted to have anyone touch an already sensitive part of my skin in the first place!  I've had eczema that started out as one giant blister that eventually opened up on it's own and just kept spreading.  I tried everything I could think of at the time.  The ointments prescribed to me didn't seem to help at all.  Then, as mysteriously as it appeared, it disappeared, but not until I had suffered with it for months.

I still have these unexplained hives, like everyone here.  I don't know what I can offer for the hives, since I haven't been getting anywhere with them either.  But, I thought it was really important to tell people how dangerous those medications for GERD are, and that there is a way to reduce the burning and suffering.  We're better off not using those medications, including the chewable tablets.  The body can't really use that form of calcium, and the things are full of many artificial ingredients and mineral oils.  DGL is a reasonable alternative, if you don't find yourself sensitive to licorice root, like I am.  So, that stuff didn't help me at all.  It might work for other people, though.
I can relate to the environmental allergies, since I have MCS, too.  You mentioned Patanase.  I never heard of this one.  My allergist started me with Nasonex, which is unscented.  It is only about 50% effective for me.  Have you experienced any sedating effects with Patanase?  Is Patanase another steroid medication?  Does it help get rid of the sinus headaches caused by the sinus allergies?  I'm not able to take ANY pain medications whatsoever.  I can't take NSAIDs due to a kidney issue I didn't know I had, and I'm allergic to everything else.  If I am anywhere near a hospital where I'm being treated for anything, I always have to remind everyone on the staff that I'm ALLERGIC to Tylenol, eventhough I already wrote down what all my medication allergies are.  

A number of years ago, I had a terrible reaction to rubber gloves myself.  I got a lot worse than itchy and scaly hives.  The allergic response actually caused all the skin on the backs of my hands to disintegrate, so I had a giant open raw sore on the back of each hand.  I thought it was bacterial, but the doctor knew it was an allergy.  I was fortunate that it didn't become infected, since I had no outer skin on my hands at all.  I never tried to get another dishwashing job after that.  Now, I avoid ALL rubber/latex products, even if they aren't meant to come into contact with my skin, because the off-gassing will make me sick, too.
I have had hives for years off and on and for a year non-stop.  I have lots of allergies and have been treated for them for 40 years.  A few years ago I was going through menopause and was put on a maintenance dose of antibiotics to be taken at different times during the month.  I became allergic to everything I took and my hives got extremely worse.  I was like the person above that could write letters on her body.  Everything I touched seemed to give me hives.  Pressure, heat, cold, etc. I was taking estradiol, and fosamax as well.  OTC antihistamines cause me to have irregular heartbeats and I get totally wired so Benadryl was not an option for me.  I took Zyrtec but got very little relief.  Claritin didn't help.  I used Benedryl gel like water and my hives were so much worse at night.  I ran out of my estradiol one time and noticed my hives got better.  I quit taking them as well as the fosamax and my hives improved.  My dermatologist diagnosed my problem as an immunity problem and gave me xyzal.  I know you stated the pharmacist said they were the same thing, but they definitely are not. Ask your dermatologist to explain the difference.  Even tho I have to pay $100 a month for them cause HealthNet HMO will not cover them, (they only cover generic - what a rip!)  it is totally worth the relief of not having the torment of itching and hives from head to toe every day!  You can go online and compare the ingredients of both drugs and note they are not the same.  The zyrtec didn't help me much but the xyzal is a godsend.  
I know some people dont realize that one thing is causing the hives and they may blame something else. I came down with horrible hives, plus about 20 other symptoms, out of NO where a year ago. I thought it was my clothes, maybe laundry. Then I thought it was my house, then back to clothes. Everytime I put on a clean outfit within 30 minutes I would start to get sick again. Then I realized eveytime I put on clean clothes I was going out...and usually going out to eat. I finally figured out after 100s of tests that I am now, at 25, allergic to potatoes and tomatoes and a few other things.

So even though you think its the pressure from clothes KEEP SEARCHING. I know it gets hard but I thought it was pressure too!! I swore it was my bra and jeans...both are tight, but it was the food.
i need help!!  i am new to hives and been having it for more than a month now!! i went to a doctor but didnt get a allergy test, the doctor gived to a steriod to take, now i just finish the medision!! and it start again!!! i been taking zyrtecs too, but dont know if thats good for me, because i have to take about 2 to 4 a day, to work!!  i cant find out what cause it, and i am scaried its going to continue!!! which should i do? can u guys please help me !!!
I found that claritin has been the best for me but I have somewhat of a success story to share.. for several weeks now my hives and dermographism have died down, I get some around my neck and my scalp is a problem but the big wheals I used to get seem to have gone (touch wood) all I have been doing is putting on the Aloe vera Gel from Trader Joes, now I dont give that the credit ,it soothes it, but I think in my case the Urticaria was ,definatly caused by the Trauma I experienced last May also a lot of other Physical symptoms and I am sure I had PTSD to cope with. Maybe it has run its course if you see what I mean, the other thing I have addressed is to get some Adrenal Support Capsules, within a few days of taking them I felt more focused and the brain fog lifted and I felt "normal ' again. Okay I know,, but something is working trust me....
Xyzal has helped me considerably but in case of hives i think the best thing to check for is if you have a contact allergy. Most regular Allergists can not check for this you have to find a Dermatologist that specializes in contact allergy(very few). I know that Cleveland Clinic has one and Dr. Andrew Scheman in IL near Northbrook is another specialist. They can test you literally 100's of chemicals, substances, fibers, metals that will get you closer to a cause. If you need to fly down it's worth the trick. I was suffering from severe eczema and found that it was a severe allergic reaction to nickel which was causing it. I went through several allergists/dermatologist and it's only when i seeked treatment from this specialist that i was given some help.
I also have MCS....I have taken singulair for the last 6 years.  It makes a huge difference.

I also use xyzal which seems to help....I've never used zyrtec so I can't compare them.  Recently I've started using the nasal spray omnaris....it works well for me.
  With Zyrtec I take 2 a day. I know some people might say it is not good but you know what. Compared to the steroids and all the other **** your doc would give you instead, this is the most affective and has the LEAST amount of side effects. Thos other meds are SOOOO much worse for you.
  One thing I have tried is taking One Zyrtec in the morning, One Claritin Hives ( its harder to find then regular Claritin but works way better!! I find it at Longs Drugs) and then late at late if I have issues I take another Zyrtec, but usually if I follow my diet I dont have too. Maybe once a week I have too.

Do you have anything other than the hives? I have a rash, hives, fever and get swollen in my joints and face. At one point I had 27 symptoms, they all came out of no where a year ago, when I was 25, Doctors could not figure it out. I had to figure it out and learned to control it through the Zyrtec and a special diet
    I tell EVERYONE to search Nightshade Foods, they are a group of foods that can get people very sick. They include tomatoes and Potatoes. I cant touch them now.
I had dermographism(pressure wheals), angioedema(lips and tongue), and urticaria. I also experienced muscle burning and pain, which sounded like what I have heard people say the symptoms of  fibromyalgia were like.

After about 2 years and number of doctors, allergists and internal medicine doctors, who put me on zyrtec, zantac, allegra, and singulair, I still was seeing no relief. The steroids worked at first, but when they wear off the symptoms would come right back. I stopped drinking cokes, diet and regular, thinking this may help. I read an article on food additives:

http://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/food_additive_reactions_and_intolerance.htm

My hives started getting better but I still had the muscle aches. I then stopped going to restaurants, if I didn't make it or know what was in it, I didn't eat it. I just drink Milk, water, and unsweet tea now. My hives, aches and urticaria are gone. Maybe they are just dormant, but maybe it was the diet also. I have lost about 20 pounds and feel great. I just take rhinocort and zyrtec prn now for seasonal allergies.

I ate some peanut snacks a friend of mine gave me on a Friday, and that weekend I felt like I had the flu and had the muscle aches return. I found out on monday the peanut snacks he gave me were full of MSG. I just, last week, ate some chinese food with a friend from out of town and got the same symptoms again, so I think it was the MSG.

May help, may not, but worth a try.
Not sure if this helps. I read on one research study that there is no clinically significances between the 2 drugs (xyzal and zyrtec) I'm a med tech student and I did take organic chemistry. xyzal is usually prescribe as 5mg/tablet (pure R-enantiomer) while zyrtec is prescribe as 10mg/tablet (50% S-enantiomer and 50% R-enantiomer). The human body only uses the R-enantiomer, which is why some people feels its faster and better as your body only digest pure R-enantiomer rather digest both S/R at the same time. Technically there should not be any difference because your body can only use the R-enan, but imagine this: If you want to paint your room PINK in 1 hour, do you go to the store and buy a tub of pink paint, or do you buy a tub of white paint and a tub of red paint to mix? Obviously, if you but a tub of pure pink paint, you would save the time of mixing it before painting. Same as zyxal, if you stomach only needs to dissolve the R-enan, it should be faster than dissolving both R-enan and S-enan together. Thats my logic. But technically, there is no clinical significance when they conduct the research study. But then again, one would wonder who sponsored that research study...
I have tried both zyrtec and xyzal before, personally I think xyzal provides relieve faster. The bad thing about xyzal is that it is slightly pricer than zyrtec. You can read here http://www.irf.dk/en/reviews/xyzal_levocetirizine.htm for more information on comparison of the 2 drugs.
I was given a sample of Xyzal from the allergist. It seems to work ok. Then I got a prescription for it from my PCP. She also gave me a $20 discount for each 5 refills. She obviously knew that my insurance wouldn't cover it, but neglected to tell me. When I went to fill the RX, they told me that the Xyzal isn't covered by insurance. ????? What the heck do I have and pay for health insurance for anyway???? My theory is that if you need a prescription for a medication that is necessary for you to feel healthy,...........then it should be covered!!! Right??? Well, then I found out that it would cost me $90 but minus the $20, total of $70 a month. I don't know about you, but I can't afford that cost plus office visits that cost $25 co-pay for follow-ups and $35 to see the allergist on top of it. I am disgusted with all of them!!!!! I am trying Zyrtec that cost $25 @ Walmart. Cheaper than the prescription seeing as I will need it for the entire allergy seasons foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Hope it works.
Have you looked at your laundry detergent?  I all of a sudden broke out in hives last year, especially in my bra area, by my socks, or waistband of my pants.  My doctor treated it with Zyrtec.  I got tired of taking it and looked at what was around my house.  I've switched to fragrance free everything.  No candles, no nothing.  I use laundry detergent has no toxin or fragrance in it.  I've controlled my hives, unless I'm around fragrance. I also feel I breath much better.  If only people realized how polluting fragrances really can be:)
If you are having pruritus (itchy skin) or hives caused by "pressure," it could be eczema.  I had "hives" for two years and always in areas that chafed against my clothes (bra area, waistband, ankles, backs of knees, etc). It was HORRIBLE.

However, after going to many different doctors (internist, dermatologist, allergist) who all prescribed either oral antihistamines or prednisone, I finally went to an immunologist who realized what it was.  

I got a simple prescription for topical corticosteroids.  Unlike the antihistamines, they actually worked (and fast, within a day), and unlike prednisone, they are not as dangerous with scary side effects.

If you get "hives" because of pressure, and your reactions are dermatological (I have hay fever, too, but the itchy skin was not systemic), you should ask your doctor to try a strong corticosteroid cream/ointment.  It may be eczema.  

The good news is, it may never go away completely, but you can treat it (and make other changes, like taking cooler showers, using better moisturizers, etc) and it won't bother you anymore.
One day about 6 years ago I had shell fish I broke out in hives and my lips swoll up. and for several years  after that I continued to get hives and swell. After several expensive tests and a sleu of doctors one doctor said I have Uticaria and she prescribed me a eppi pen. Without medication I have been completly Hive free for about a year and a half. (Knock on Wood)  
This leads me to my new problem I have always felt like thier is a lump of mucous in the back of my throat the doctor says its GERD and Possibly Allergies. So he prescribed Nexium, Ranitdine 300 mg  and xyzal (which my insurance does not pay for) I am very frustrated with the whole situation. Any Help would be nice
It looks like you already know what your true food allergies are.  You can have hidden food allergies or food sensitivities, too, though, which will affect your GERD.  I have GERD, too...

I see a naturopath who had me go through an elimination diet, which helped me discover these hidden food allergies that can't be tested with the usual igE tests, because you'll test negative for these food allergies but still have a reaction (GERD or IBS or both).  I still have GERD, but now that I know which foods to avoid, I'm able to live without taking the reflux medications you mentioned.  I also lost a signifant amount of weight without even trying.  I needed to lose the weight.

I learned that it is dangerous to take these PPI (Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, etc) medications long term.  A friend of mine had a nissen fundoplication done and was still taking the PPI meds and ended up ruining the lining to her stomach and small intestine.  She will have to have vitamin B shots for the rest of her life--every week--just to survive.
I have been suffering with hives for 2 years with an unknown etiology.  The only triggers are hot weather and exercise.  my dermatologist prescribed me clobex topical spray and it works wonders.  it is an topical steriod but with minimal side effects.  It is the only thing that I found that works.  You can manage the hives in 3 days they were gone I went 6 months without another flareup. Just give it a try also sarna lotion is great for itchiness, it is a nonsteriod cream available otc.
Dear All,

As a chronic perennial rhinitis sufferer, I know how it feels to have allergies. I am also contact allergic to tomatoes and aubergine; food allergic to all kinds of pepper.

I am taking a nutraceutical that comforted me: LECTRANAL. Active ingredient is Astragalus membranaceus.This product is available in some European countries.

Using Lectranal more than a year, I'm in a better shape: can sleep, breathe well, no runny-itchy nose and best of all, without the bothersome side effects like dry mouth, dizzy head, sleepiness and a huge appetite.
Only in my "high season" (April 15 - July1)I take it uninterruptedly; rest of the year I take it for a month and give it a week's breake.
I do not use the herb itself because I cannot trust where/how people pick it and if it is really the right plant.
XYZAL worked wonders for my itching. Nothing OTC worked long enough. Just remember to take at bed time. Doctor said if the problem is related to histamine, this works great. Text XYZAL to 62900 to receive a text coupon. I paid just $25 for my prescription.
I've been suffering with chronic hives for 5 years, off an on, and I am 29 yrs old.  When I have an outbreak it'll last for weeks or months and this time it been since Feb (and now we are in May).  I've taken Zyrtec for years and it definitely helps with my allergies, but not the hives.  A friend of my recommended Xyzal so I talked to my doctor about it.  I started taking it two days ago and its, so far, it's working wonders.  Today I only have a few, 10 at the most, and usually I'm covered with hives from my shoulders to my knees.  I take the Xyzal at night and right now it's 9:00am the next morning and I can feel the itchiness, but they're not able to come out.  I also, put Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping GEL all over my arms and legs and it really helps the itching.  

So below are the meds I take for my chronic hives and the combination seems to be working:
Xyzal (night)
Hydroxyzine (morning and night)
Benadryl GEL (all day)
Zyrtec (morning)
Singular (morning)

My conclusion regarding Zyrtec vs. Xyzal - they are different. Xyzal WORKS!!!
Zyxal is the only (new) drug that works for me. I am 68 and have had hives off and on since I was 12 years old. I am 98% in remission since July 2009. This drug is specially formulated for hives; however, for us seniors Medicare will not pay for this and neither will supplemental insurance. Expensive yes but it is better than my throat swelling and winding up in the funeral home. Two years ago my allergist had a blood DNA test done ($200 appx.) to check out what was causing this ideopathic reaction. Turns out it is genetic for spontaneous breakouts, and nothing can be done. So I continue to pay through the nose for this life saving drug. I feel for all of you.
I got a puppy - Shitzu and Poodle Mix (which are supposed to be hypoallergenic) to my child and  I had a horrible allergic reaction with airway almost close up , had to rush to hospital. Ok, I have had dogs all my life and noticed ocassional rhinitis and sore throat, so my parents were taking me to ENT's a lot. But my last dog died about 10 years ago and I didn't have close contact with them.I had the allergy tests done about 4 years ago which were reactive to mold, grass and there was minimal reaction to dogs. I tried many drugs on the market. Allegra, Claritin, Benadryl... For last 3 years Zyrtec-D was working fine, not great, but tolerable. After what happened on Monday  the doctor put me on Prednisone for 5 days, so inflammation definitely goes away , but palpitations are so intense I can barely go 2 flights of stairs, forget jogging. She gave me samples of Xyzal, it works pretty fast. But I have a bad headache. So is the headache from Prednisone or from Xyzal? Should I keep a puppy? I love the dog so much already. Does anybody think I will get used to a dog? I'd rather give it away sooner than later, or it'll be traumatic to everyone.From what I read here Xyzal is just a racemic switch in the molecule of Zyrtec, how come it works so much faster and more efficiently then? I don't know what to do. Thank you for reading!
I've had hives on and off for about 4 years now. It seemed like it only happened when I was stressed, so I cut down on my stress level and poof! no more hives. Then about a year and a half ago they started again, much worse than ever before.. At times covering roughly 85% of my body. I went to a dermatologist and she thinks it's a side effect of NSAIDs that I take for headaches. So I was given a prescription for Xyzal and told not to take any OTC pain relievers except Tylenol. I took the Xyzal as directed for almost a month. My hives didn't truly get better (they got a little smaller, but more constant and more itchy) and I got horrible migraines at least once a week. Is there a connection between Xyzal and severe headaches that I haven't found yet? Also after I started taking the Xyzal my sinuses became.. well screwed. I went from an occasional stuffy nose to a permanent stuffy and runny nose, which I will say may have had some connection to my headaches. Any ideas? I stopped taking the Xyzal two days ago and it seemed like my system rebounded. All of a sudden I got a huge hive on my stomach along with a few random ones on my arms and such. But my sinuses are better and I don't feel like my head is going to explode. I feel like I just can't win. Do I live with the hives or live with a stuffy nose and migraines? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

~Tink
I have been suffering from eczema all my life, and suddenly last year, my lips began to swell and break out around the bottom and upper lip off and on. Now, the swelling and itching is ongoing, never stopping. I take Xyzal at night, but it took me a long time to get used to the severe drowsiness and horrible dreams that the xyzal gave me. I woke up extremely tired after a nine hour long sleep, and would wake up crying from horrible dreams. But after a month of taking it, my body got used to it, and now I can't live a day without it. Xyzal is a great drug, and now it has a generic! But essentially, taking cetirizine is pretty much the same thing as taking a xyzal... It doesn't stop me from swelling and breaking out, but it does keep me from scratching my face long enough so that it gives it time to heal so it doesn't get worse. Xyzal does help me with my other allergy symptoms, though... such as itchy eyes, runny nose, and sneezing. That's my experience with xyzal.
Just a thought.  I used to use fabric softener in my washloads - this caused me to break out in painful boils - stopped using fabric softener - my dryer did a fine job and I am well too.  Sometimes underarm deoderants will get you too.  Use hypoallergenic soap when you bathe - think about your shampoo - stop using anything that might start the itch - stop using perfumes - be on the lookout.  Elastics are cause for itching too.  You folks seem to have big time troubles but it might be helpful if you observe what is touching your skin around the time or day the problem starts.  My daughter gets an itchy throat and puffy lips from cantelopes.... they "seem" so harmless. don't they.  I feel for you - Good luck!
Found myself allergic to animals - very young pups and cats in general -  they're too excitable - emit too many hormones or fermones (I think that's the spelling), etc.   Getting  them neutered could be as much as a  98% fix - really!   ..... unless your problem is dander.  Stay away from guinea pigs - gerbils - mice -  all those "cute little things".  If you have them,  make sure someone else does the cleaning..  Don't have ferrets - they are so cute - but they can give you a bad allergy attack..  I have domestic (shorthair and longhair)cats - all fixed - and there are times, because I have asthma, that I will have a runny nose -itchy eyes - or  wheeze - but most of the time it is very easy to control.  Pets are so wonderful to have and you will find a way to live with them and love every moment.
To the people that took zyrtec,  did you have a hard time getting off of Zyrtec?  Atarax works well for me, but I decided to take Zyrtec because you don't need a prescription.  I was on it for about 2 months and realized that if i don't take it, the 3rd day, I'd start to break out hives really badly.  It was odd, so I did some research and found http://www.consumeraffairs.com/rx/zyrtec.html  and realized that a lot of people had the same problem.  Did you guys also had problems with Zyrtec?
Where are you that you get allergy drops?
I went to an allergist in North Dakota who made me all better, but he died and his research went with him. I would LOVE to get back on allergy drops. Tell me the name of your doctor!
Love, Alva
Does Xyzal still work for your hives? My daughter is having them and not taking them serious. It scares me as I had bad asthma for years :(  If you write the manufacture they might donate you the medicine :)    Thanks! Kim
Were you able to keep your dog? My daughter has hives from dogs and they are getting worse. She's 18 and doesn't take it serious :(thanks Kim
What were the allergy drops? Have you found anything else to help? My daughters hives are getting worse :(  I got worse and in hospital after allergy shots :( thanks! Kim
you can use avamys instead of nasonex because its newer and better read this http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/138583.php