alcohol induced shoulder pain
There has got to be something to this and I'm thinking it would be a great thesis paper for a graduating medical student!  
I'm 30 and have experienced these symptoms throughout my 'drinking life' every time I consume the slightest amount of alcohol.  I don't drink beer as I can't take the taste but prefer wine coolers or grain alcohol drinks.  I drink rarely, about every other month or two, but when I do it doesn't take long for crippling shoulder pain, yawning, and fatigue to result.  Typically, it only takes about half a glass or bottle for the reaction to begin which is probably around 15-20 minutes from starting to drink.  The symptoms last for 30-45 minutes and then subside and everything is back to normal.  
I'm fine with not consuming alcohol but it would be nice to understand what is happening.  I've questioned a few doctors over the years and no one has any explanations other than some chemical reaction is happening incorrectly or not at all within my body.  
You never know if something so rare, as these symptoms seem to be around the world, you could find the answer to alcohol intolerance, addiction, dependence or death... wish I had the ability to find out.  Maybe someone out there does?!?!?  
I agree at first these comments scared but I think the point made by other is that.....I too have had this reaction to wine coolers and rum for at least 25 years.  I'm sure cancer would have killed me by now if that was the cause.  I wouldn't panic. My sister who is 7 years younger also has the same reaction to wine coolers and rum...I remember years ago when we discovered we both had the same reaction how strange it was.  Nice to know that at least there are others out there with the same thing.
I agree that the alcohol induced pain could be something else but I say better safe than sorry.  There are lots of people who are diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma in their 50s.  It can be slow growing and dependent upon a lot of factors.  As cancers go this one has the highest rate of remission...maybe this would also factor into why people can go for so long undiagnosed.

I also noticed shoulder pain as a teen if I drank frutopia so for years I assumed it was a juice issue; however, as an adult I noticed every now and then it would happen when I drank alcohol.  In my late twenties I started having bad shoulder pain.  I was diagnosed then with severe arthritis from a car wreck.  I figured this was the reason for my sore shoulders.  Last year I felt a lymph node in my arm pit that hurt and scared me.  I went to the doctor and they said it was "nothing"  - just a cyst.  Now I'm wondering.  

I'm 35 and not much of a drinker.  However the last couple of times I've drank my shoulders have hurt to the point where it felt like my bones ached.  I don't even have to drink that much for it to start and it almost takes 30 minutes for it to stop.  I am also extremely tired but that would be my only symptoms.  After looking into this again i am going to get checked.  Alot of people just get the blood tests but I don't think that is enough.  I want a chest xray and ct scan just to be sure.  I will definately post my results.
I agree, with supertam...I'm no medical student or doctor but I used to try to explain away to my friends that it was phantom pain from my poor liver preparing for the onslaught..lol  I found when I consumed less alcohol (I don't drink beer or have wheat allergies or GERD) and took my time drinking the pain was excruciating in my right shoulder. As a solution I drank the first glass or shot (or two) relatively quick and that seem to subdue the pain. I played sports and my trainer implied it might reaction to my shoulder which was injury prone . That may be a stretch. It really may just be intolerance that with time may dissipate. I know it was worst when I first started drinking in my young twenties but now in my late twenties is not as frequent.
I have had this problem since 2006. I notice it occurs when I drink Sangria, wine coolers, Alize liquor, certain Moscatos, wines, and even La Fin Du Monde Beer. Sometimes in certain mixed drinks. I find the only time this doesn't occur is when I drink beers like corona, coors light, etc. I don't think is the sugar in the drinks since I've had wines without too much sugar and it still has happened.

My mom has the same problem when she drinks sweet wines. Is a needle like pain in shoulder and radiates all the way down my right arm. It starts five to min after i have the drink and sometimes it lasts for hours, causing me not to sleep because of the pain. It helps when someone rubs or hits my harm slightly to help ease the horrible pain. Feels like my chest was about to burst open, had a hard time breathing.

Yesterday I had it for the first time with a wine cooler and that's what prompt me to search for a cause and came upon this forum. Yesterday's attack was so bad I was planning to go to the ER and on my way there it actually subsided a bit, so I decided not to go. It was on and off for a while, less intense as time progressed.

The next day, I still felt the pain slightly in the afternoon and later that night, but very lightly. I noticed as time goes by the episodes are worst. Now I just drink beers that I know wont cause me the sharp pain.

I don't suffer from back pains, shoulder pains, night sweats. I had a physical done and the doctor said everything is normal.

I'm not sure what is the true cause of this problem, but it would be nice to know the cause. I have never told any doctor about this problem, but definitely plan to do so.
Yes! The first time I remember this happening to me was when I would drink a Zima! Late 80's, wasn't it? I would get half-way through a Zima and both my legs would start tingling! I was in my early 20's and thought it was funny/interesting!
Last night after 2 or 3 sips of a red wine, my shoulder started aching. The pain went away after about 10 minutes, then I finished the glass and had no other pains. I like the thought that this is an allergy to sulfates better than lymphoma!
Thank you all for sharing...thought it was just some freaky thing I've had for 16 years!  So difficult to explain the pain. Starts in right shoulder, radiates down to right wrist and right side of body only (best way to describe is like having a brain freeze in those areas I mentioned). It started with sugary rum based drinks, but has moved on to sugary margaritas, sangrias, and mojitos. Yes, I have had the occasional coke when it has happened, but usually just those alcohol drinks. Never been a problem with beer or wine. I always order water, which seems to dilute the effect. It starts right away with first sip (if I nip it with water right away, it is usually not so bad) I have almost passed out from the pain when it catches me off guard, but I know it will go away in about 20 minutes.  Glad to see some ideas on here for how to get around, don't drink much, but certainly enjoy a margarita now and then, sometimes just don't want to order beer! And again, so glad I am not the only person out there with this, and now I can give it a name! I think we would all appreciate knowing what the actual cause is, why do our bodies respond the way they do...hopefully, someone will come up with the reason.
Wow! I thought I've been going crazy the past years! I too have experience these crazy pain from drinking alcohol in my shoulder, arm and upper back, as well as my sister. We haven't found what it is related too but I can say that both my sister and I have celiac disease and fibromyalgia.

The pain starts in my right or left shoulder (sometimes both) and gets so bad in a matter of 10 minutes that I have to stop drinking. After I stop drinking it usually subsides after an hour. Also, whenever I drink and this pain occurs I also get insanely sick the next morning (puking so 20-30 times, sometimes more) and puke up bile. So over the years I've experimented and drinking and cooler, vodka, or beer makes me feel the pain in my shoulders and arms (especially coolers) and makes me deadly sick the next morning. I discovered drinking Disarono is the only drink I can have that doesn't make me sick or in pain (but is expensive if your going to a bar).  

As for myself, there is a very exhausted list of symptoms I have and other condition thats are directly related to fibromyalgia and celiac disease. I'm not sure if anyone else out there has these but I am b12 deficient, i have peripheral neuropathy, alway fatigue and I have a lot of nerve pain, muscle pain, joint pain and inflammation just about every wheres. I've only been recently diagnosed with Celiac disease but after cutting out gluten (found in dairy, meat, cereal, wheat) and sticking to soy milk or almond milk and gluten free meats and breads and so on I have seen a dramatic decline in symptoms.

Shaya  
Great, now I have something else to be paranoid about. :-O

I posted a couple of weeks ago to a pain message board that I awoke with a deep, throbbing bone pain from my fingers all the way up my arms and shoulders, with slightly lesser pain in my collar bone and jaw.  I woke up again this morning at 1:30 a.m. with the same sudden pain and it was absolutely agonizing for hours.  I tried taking Tylenol and Benadryl (Benadryl seemed to make it stop last time, so I thought maybe it was an allergy), but neither did anything to help.  I couldn't sleep at all for the remainder of the night.  And I just realized that last night and two weeks ago, the night before this happened the first time, I drank a couple of glasses of red wine.

This is maddening.  I've got the weirdest nonsensical symptoms that just come and go; two and three years ago, respectively, I was put on an epic, expensive journey from doctor to neurologist to neuro-ophtalmologist to rheumatologist and the doctors suggested that I may have anything from HIV to Lyme to MS (all tests indicated none of those), and I got no answer except that I should probably learn to relax and maybe see a psychiatrist to manage anxiety.  I used to post on the MS message boards a lot just to speak with people who'd been put through the medical ringer as I was.

This new symptom is horribly painful and scary now that I'm reading it may be associated with lymphoma, but I am *so* hesitant to go back to another doctor after my experiences.  I spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on MRIs and EMGs and EEGs and EKGs and eye tests and blood labs and evoked potentials, and I felt practically as if I was being accused by doctors of making up all the weird neuro issues I was having--and now this.  What gives?

Sorry, I am just venting, but now I'm trying to decide if I really need to get this checked out or just wait it out and hope it improves on its own.

I just had an attack again and had to go to the internet to see if I was all alone in this. I see I am not. I get a severe pain in my right arm when I drink sugary alcoholic drinks such as mai tai, margaritas, and today Sangria. I thought i was having a heart attack.  Now I am worried about this Hodgkin's idea. But that seems far fetched.  Maybe I should have the gall bladder checked out.
I to have right sholder pain , back pain and chest/stomach  pain when I drink alcohol and also when I take cold meds. I would very much like to know the cause. And I didn't always have this problem but it is all the time now.
Hi Guys!
I read all of your posts because I have the same shoulder pain after drinking Alcohol! I did not have it and it started recently!!!
Ok what I understood is it can be:
- Hodgkin cancer sign
- Hypothyroidism
- Allergy to Sulfate
- High load of sugar
- Gallbladder inflammation

The tests to figure it out start with:
- Blood Test
- Chest X-Ray
- CT Scan and Sonogram
- Biopsy

Like others I am scared and curious too. I think the best choice is to do the tests and make sure That it is not Hodgkin, hypothyroidism or Gall-bladder inflammation. Allergy or problem with high load of sugar can be managed easily.  I will post my findings after the tests.
Thank you all for sharing your experiences!
I was on here looking for answers as well. I noticed mine occurs when I drink anything fruity or even mixed drinks. Not sure if it is a combo of the sweet and alcohol. It can get very annoying and scary when it occurs. Same mine last about 30 mins or so amd ruins my mood. Good to know I am not the only one. Wish there was an answer and a solution to this issue.
This is a really old post but very helpful wondering if any of you have found anything else out about this.  I have been very worried about the alcohal induced shoulder pain.  Looks like I should probably get checked out.
This is one of the old posts that are still alive, so I am writing here. I used to get this pain even with a sip of wine many years ago and then it stopped. I just thought I got used to alcohol. But for the past couple of weeks the pain has started again and remains for a long time. I have no other symptoms. Is there any test that can reveal Hodgkins without a biopsy or anything since I don't have swollen nodes. Yet. I'm a total pessimist and have already diagnosed myself for sure. I just want to know what test I need to take to confirm
My mother and I both have the shoulder symptoms where we ache like the flu from grapes, apples and certain liquors. I get it from Coke and dark colored regular sodas too.My mom also gets it from grape juice and apple juice. However I don't ache at all from just vodka and orange juice. It's always stayed in the shoulders and neck but the other day I ate watermelon and oh my god I was in tears to the point of almost calling an ambulance! Usually it goes away after 30-40 minutes or after eating some bread product but this time it was brutal. No matter what I did it just got worse, it lasted for hours...The pain ached from my shoulders down my whole body and it felt like I had been punched in the chest. No one ever knows what I mean when I described it and its been 20 years now! It's sad to know others are going through this too but good to know we're not the only ones! if anyone finds out what it definitely is, please post.  I can never get a solid answer from doctors, they claim it's some strange anomaly with just me. lol I'm going to look into Hodgkins disease but I have been tested in the past and they said ruled that out.
I have had this same problem for over 30 years, so I'm pretty sure its not cancer related, at least in my case. Once when I was very hot and thirsty I drank two bottles of Mountain Dew really fast and had the same reaction. Look at our similarities: certain fruit drinks, fruit mixers, and wine coolers. I've been trying to find the answer for years and I've narrowed it down to a few suspects. 1) Sulfites (NOT sulfates). They are added as a preservative in wine and fruit juices used to make wine coolers, mixers, sodas, etc, but are not always declared in the ingredients list. 2) Brominated vegetable oil. This is used to hold citrus flavors in suspension in many types of fruit drinks, including Mountain Dew, margaritas, and wine coolers. 3) Sodium benzoate in combination with some unidentified ingredient. This 2nd ingredient could possibly be vitamin C (found in citrus juices), which would combine to form Benzene. Please respond back here and let us know if you find a connection with these ingredients and your pain.
Well here I am also....  I felt the same as everyone else. Sometimes when I drink (not all)  I get a pain in my shoulders arms back... I also drink wine mixed with soda....  So this time I wa on the computer and googled it and here I am... This is strange and it would be great to have a answer to.  It has to do with wine and sugar.. after reading all the comments...  I wonder if our bodies intake a lot of sugar at once and it has a harder time going through some sort of process......  Like many it mine goes away after 10 minutes.  Very interesting....
I too have this. After one sip of hard liqour or vodka, or about mid way through a beer, I feel a tense pain in my shoulder muscles. It only lasts about 5-10 minutes, & isnt unbearable, but is very noticeable. I drink about 1 day/week & it happens almost I cant recall if Ive always had this, but I know its been going on for atleast the past few years.
I dont usually drink vodka, more of a red liqour person, but this past weekend, I had about 4 vodka mixed with lemonade or orange juice drinks & the pain came and went as usual. However, it has been 2 days since i drank, & my elobow, knees, joints and shoulders have ached constantly since.Even a little soreness throughout my chest.
I am kind of a hypocondriac, so Im terrified that it could be Hodgkins. I dont have any other symptoms exceot extreme tiredness, but i brush that off as being because Ive gained alot of weight recently & am just sluggish from it.
I have had a chest exray in the past 6 months, due to having to got to the hospital after a night of drinking, I felt like I was going to faint the next day, & had an intense panic attack. After blood work & xrays, the doctor determined I was dehydrated & said my exrays etc. were fine.
Anyone ever been diagnosed by a doctor & it not be Hodgkins. Im really worried.
I know this is an old post, but it seems to still be going strong. I posted about a week ago, about my shoulder pain after drinking. My drink of choice is whiskey and coke, but I sometimes drink vodka and juice or beer. All which cause both of my shoulders to ache after only a sip or 2. Well here are my new findings.
Tonight I decided to take a drink of whiskey, & instead of the usual coke, I used water as a chaser. NO PAIN!!! It's surprising because I Always feel the pain when chasing with coke or juice. Water isn't a pleasant chaser, but it seemed to keep the pain away. Just thought I'd share this because I am amazed & truly believe now that it must have something to do with the soda & juice mixed with alcohol & may not be lymphoma after all. Hope this helps! Please post if anyone has any new info or has been diagnosed by a dr.
Yes! I am also relieved to hear others are experiencing some of the same symptoms as I am! With my experiences, I feel that I have a severe middle-upper stomach ache and a shoulder pain when I have the really sugary beverages. I used to call it the "juice-ache" because I had it really bad one time after drinking some store bought pineapple-banana-orange juice first thing in the morning. I also have experienced it with sprite when I drink it before having anything else in my stomach. Not so much with beer or wine, but if I have a Mike's hard lemonade or sugary drink like that, maybe with sweet and sour mix or cranberry juice, I always get that feeling! Usually lasting 15 or so minutes..I haven't mentioned it to a doctor yet but probably will in the future!
I started getting this pain when I was about 21. I'm now 31 I only got it when drinking carbonated alcohol, like mikes hard lemonade or Smirnoff. After the start of drinking one about 10 mins I would get a aching sometimes sharp pain in my right shoulder and sometimes towards my chest. It was really uncomfortable. I usually sat there and rubbed my shoulder waiting for the pain to go away. It does after about 30 mins sometimes less. But I would be fine the rest of the night. Just the first drink or two. But since it's been happening for over 10 yrs I can't imagine it to be Hodgkin's. I don't know what it is.
Same for me, I get a sharp sometimes intolerable amount of pain in my right shoulder with Mike's Hard products, clear alcohol and some wines, but not with beer or whisky. I just dealt with it for years until, early last year. I ate a great big roast beef sandwich and had a couple of beers after a 5 mile hike when all of a sudden the right arm pain came on really strong and my upper stomach started to hurt so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. I'm 32 and in good shape, this really scared me. I laid down and took big breaths until it subsided enough to drive. My doctor ran a ton of tests and found after an ultrasound that it was probably a gall bladder attack and that I had been suffering from them for years when I drank and ate fatty foods. I produce too much stomach acid and bile. I'm on meds for the reflux and the bile thing and only have episodes when I'm really drinking hard. Go ask your doc about it.
This is all very interesting but confusing. Anytime, I drink tequila or sweet alcohol drinks, I get the shoulder pain,and feel so sick. Tonight, I drank 1/4 of a skinny margarita, I felt so bad, I couldn't stand being in the restaurant, I had to leave. I for so hot, and sick feeling. After, 20-30 min. I felt normal.

What is this? I'll ask my Dr. about Hodgkin's but, this has happened for years.  
So frustrating.

So frustrating.
Hello, I had this symptom since December of last year. I would start drinking and 10-15 minutes after my first sip, I would have a lot of pain in my upper-back region, like someone was stabbing me and then after 15-20 minutes it would stop. I saw a doctor about this in March and he told me I had an alcohol intolerence.

Lymph node started to get bumpy in September and I learned I had Hodgkin's disease type 4 December 20th. Starting chemo thursday.

Before the lymph node in my neck, this was the only symptom of the cancer. Don't **** around with that. It's a rare symptom in only 2%-3% of the people with Hodgkin's.
I've had this all my life, my mother, sister and aunt also,  be dead by now if it was cancer, but I am not a big drinker...just occasionally.  I am a nurse and was also curious about this...I've come to the conclusion that it causes a spasm in the sphincter of oddi.  Never last over an hour..usually just about 15 minutes for me.  Sphincter of oddi reactions can make you feel like you are having a gallbladder attack and some people feel like they are having a heart attack when they have a gallbladder attack.  I actually was giving morphine after surgery and had the same kind of attack.  Dr. agreed it was making the gallbladder or sphincter contract and cause pain.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that's gets this and thanks to everyone for posting !!! I have not got this all the time. I am a drinker not every night but I do enjoy a drink twice or three times a week and I have had this a few times in the last 5 years. It last about 10/15 minutes and its in my right shoulder and just on the top of my arm and some weird feeling around the chest. It does make me want to go to bed because it feels horrible. One time I did have it in my left shoulder shooting down through the whole arm and tight chest pain. It scared the **** out of me because that was my first time.
thank you for your comment.  I have done some research and feel that this is the most logical reason for my pain.  I have had my gall bladder removed and believe this sphincter dysfunction is now the issue.  No Hodgkins for me thank goodness!
I have learned that I cannot drink any alcoholic drink that has sugar in it. If I do, i get immense pain from my neck, down through my right arm, and the right side of my body.  The best way i can explain how the pain feels, is to compare it to brain freeze (as in when you drink a slushie too fast and get brain freeze). I am 45 years old, have drank moderately since I was 18, and have had this problem for the past ten years. Obviously, the best solution is to stop drinking. But, since I prefer not to stop drinking, I have found a solution that works for me. I drink vodka mixed with unsweetened iced tea.  If i drink a wine cooler, this is what would happen:  Within 10 seconds, I would start to sweat uncontrollably, would get heartburn, would start to breath very heavily, and within 30 seconds, I would be doubled over, crying in the worst pain I have ever felt (except for labor pains) in my entire life, and it would last about 3 to 5 minutes, and then, just as suddenly as the pain started, it would be gone
I was searching up on this as I have experienced this pain for years. There is one thing no one has mentioned and that it sugar intolerances. For example fructose and sucrose. I have fructose malabsorption, meaning that I cannot have a lot of this sugar as it causes me intestinal problems similar to IBS, pain, bloating, vomiting, diarrhoea, etc.
The liver is the organ that takes care of breaking down fructose. Add in alcohol and the liver ends up overworked.
Most juices and fruity alcoholic drinks have fructose in them, and if you are intolerant to having them then this causes problems.
I get the radiating pain when I drink any fruity drinks in large amounts, and by large amounts, I mean two standard cups is enough for me. (Not to mention the other problems later on).
Some alcohols contain these sugars on their own, so add it all together with juices and even one drink can do me in.
If anyone has similar symptoms to me then get a referral from your doctor for testing, could help out a lot.
I have the same problem as well: I also hate beer, and tend to go for twisted teas/lemonades, and other "girly" drinks. Within 30 minutes I'll get a sudden, sharp, blinding pain in both sides of my neck, and both shoulders, especially around my collarbones. The first time it happened it was so intense that it literally knocked the breath out of me and I fell to the floor. I almost had to go to the hospital because of it. I was able to manage the pain with Tylenol and eating a few crackers though. That seems to help each time it happens, although I do not drink all that often, mainly due to this pain. It also seems to subside completely after about 30 minutes to an hour, even if I continue drinking. I am definitely planning on seeing a doctor soon, as the pain can be really terrible. Best of luck to everyone else out there with this problem. Although I wouldn't which that pain on anyone, it is slightly comforting in a way to know that I am not alone with this problem.
This is all interesting stuff.  Last night, I had a glass of wine, the pain was excrutiating and I almost went to the ER.  It was a debilitating pain, and on a scale of 1-10....a 20.  It lasted for about 40 minutes but it subsided as time passed.  I layed on the bed, and didn't want to move.  This morning, I still feel pain in the middle of my abdomen, right where the pancreas is located.  I'm going to get things checked out.  Could be pancreatitis, cholecystitis (gall bladder), liver, or who knows - lymphoma.  It hasn't happened often, but it has happened before.  This time, it was worse than it's ever been, radiating up to my shoulders, neck, and jaw, and my anterior chest and abdomen.  I need to go on a cleansing diet too, as I have too much yeast going through my system as evidenced by the eczema on my skin.  I think this will help.  I am going to see my doc soon.  
This happens to me also. But it is in my neck and shoulder. But I didn't have the problem anymore when I didn't drink. I have also injured my neck and shoulder twice. About a  week ago if I ate more then a cup of food at mealtime I would get it so bad I can't even finish eating. I was looking for answers for this problem when I found all of these comments.
THANK YOU!!
I have the same thing happen. This is the third time it has happened. I drank about four or five vodka coolers. Then I got severe pain in my stomach and in my left shoulder area. It is excruciatingly painful!  This is new to me. I noticed someone posted about hypothyroidism is a link, also being low in b12. I have a hypothyroid and I was recently low in b12 and have begun taking supllements. I am 46 and did not drink for almost 20 years because of being involved with things where I could not drink. I find I am very sensitive to alcohol and will often have the runs the next day if I have some. Esp if it is a malt type of drink, Summersby was the kind that gave me problems two weeks ago.  All his is new to me. Could it be that because my body had no alchohol for such a long time that it has developed intolerances?  I don't drink a great deal, but enjoy having some sometimes, but the pain just doesn't seem worth it.  Not questions for you necessarily, just more for the general community.
I get this too. About 10 mins after drinking any alcohol I get a mild headache and very stiff / painful shoulder muscles ( trapezium area ). I rarely drink now because of it. I have also noticed that I am much more prone to it when I'm tired. Occasionally I also get an upset stomach, and sometimes I feel anxious and uneasy. As I only drink at night time, I have it when I go to bed, then it has gone in the morning. I have mentioned it to my Dr, and all they can suggest is don't drink. Thanks for posting your original comment, because I was starting to think I was the only one. I have been experiencing this set of symptoms on drinking alcohol for nearly 30 years, so I'm happy that it isn't indicative of anything life threatening.
I am exactly the same. Had that nearly all my life. Also learned that it is mostly the sugar in alcohol rich drinks. I can drink a wine or beer or a coqnac or a whiskey but not mix it with sugar loaden drinks. Drink it straight or have a soda water on the side.
the same thing happens to me also. It happens very randomly only after a few sips of any type of alcohol my shoulders my back start to lock up and I become very nauseous. Upon my own research is that one's body can have an active or inactive allergy to the grain in alcohol and we never know when its active.  I'm not sure how much this is true as I am NOT a medical doctor but I choose not to drink anymore due to the excruciating pain that is caused when I drink. A doctor told me to drink milk 3 hours prior to me wanting to drink I tried this once for a wedding and I had no pain. But unless it's a very special occasion I will not drink.
I've had this since I was 3 or 4 - it's the lemonade in my case (wasn't drinking that early on!)
I had a sangria this evening at dinner, and I began having the pain rising to through the chest, into the shoulders, and down the arms to the hands.  My arms were very weak so I could barely bring a glass of water to my lips.  I considered going to the ER because I was in so much discomfort.  My heart rate increases to about 100 bpm and I felt flushed.  After about 20 minutes I began feeling better.

This happens with rum drinks and when I eat certain fruits, like watermelon.  Has been happening for years, but the intensity seems to be greater.

I'm puzzled, but it seems I'm not alone.  Anyone experience this when eating watermelon?
Debi77 posted something similar regarding watermelons back in Sept 2013.
Interesting - this started for me about 8 years ago and only seems to happen with strong fruity drinks. I'm fine with plain beer or wine. I think it happens when I chug the drink because it doesn't taste strong but actually is strong. I thought it was just on an empty stomach but I've had it happen a few times after my meal.  First, my stomach feels a little sick then my shoulders and neck start cramping or feeling pain.
I was also starting to think it might be the sugar as it only happens for me with sweet alcoholic beverages
I have the same thing but not every time I have alcohol it depends on what I've been eating through the day as to how severe the pain was on drinking the alcohol I put it down to my gallbladder as I have just been diagnosed with inflamed gallbladder and stones so anyone with this problem I advise you to get an ultrasound of your gallbladder I'm about to have mine taken out and will come back in a few months so let you know for my symptoms have gone!!
Same as me I suggest you have an ultrasound on your gallbladder
I have the same thing but not every time I have alcohol it depends on what I've been eating through the day as to how severe the pain was on drinking the alcohol if I've eaten well the pain is less if I haven't eaten it is worse I put it down to my gallbladder as I have just been diagnosed with inflamed gallbladder and stones so anyone with this problem I advise you to get an ultrasound of your gallbladder I'm about to have mine taken out and will come back in a few months so let you know for my symptoms have gone!!
Thank you I think I have the answer I can't wait to get my gallbladder out!!
I'm kind of glad to have come across this thread - sorry for everyone dealing with Hodgkin's Disease though!
I started drinking beer when I was 16 (I'm from Germany and it's legal except for drinking spirits - those only after 18) and I cannot remember that I had these symptoms very early on. (Or maybe I thought this was normal) I'm 32 now and have been dealing with drinking associated pains for many years. My alcohol consumption had drastically decreased over the years - I was very embarrassed after one binge-drinking incident when I was 20 yrs old, and after that partially also because of the increase in pain. I must have been dealing with this for at least 7 years. (A decrease of tolerance due to the lack of alcohol?)  As soon as I have a couple of sips of alcohol I get these really intense flu-like pains in my upper body. Particularly on both sides of my neck, down my collarbones and my arms. The pain varies in severity but it can be pretty bad - however, it only lasts for approximately 5-20 minutes. Like others have mentioned before, I can continue drinking without major problems but it definitely throws me off. It's been a lot of trial and error for me trying to make sense of all of this. (I also assume that diet might play a role in my overall reaction but I am always fine on gluten). Beer has been increasingly difficult - dark spirits in general and anything fermented I'd like to think. (tannins/sulfates?) I completely steer away from beer and wines. (I also get migraines, so this in addition to the pain limits me in terms of what types of alcohol I can tolerate already.) I find it interesting that some of you mentioned sugary drinks and/or mixers. I've been under the impression that there might be a correlation as well! My go-to alcohol is Vodka at this point. I drink so little that I'm not really sure whether I am just making stuff up in regards to how I can tolerate it - maybe there's a difference between potato, wheat and rye - but it's hit or miss sometimes and I really think it has something to do with the stuff they mix the Vodka with (fruity things might be tricky?!). I really hope that I am not dealing with anything serious - especially since I've had this for many years. I had so many unrelated tests in the meantime (brain MRI, comprehensive blood tests, entire CT scan of abdomen and also an ultrasound of the entire abdomen), that I'm hoping I'm overall fine. It's sometimes annoying from a social perspective as I cannot just drink whatever and be merry - but then there are times when I'm doing fine on Vodka. At least something. Looking forward to more posts on this thread.
I have been this way as well ever since I had my gallbladder taken out. it happens with margeritas kinky Malibu beer and wine coolers. if anybody has any answers please let me know