Allergy Community
allergic rhinitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

allergic rhinitis

I have been allergic to many substances including dusts and mites, scents and smells, etc for the past three dacades. I am now 42, female. With passage of time I am developing allergies to newer and newer substances for which I was not allergic before. Six months back I was tested for my IgE level and found it as 986. Previously I was not tested for IgE. My physician says that this is a problem endemic in me and there is no way to reduce the level of IgE. He also says that it would have been like this since my birth. Unless the IgE level is reduced there is no way to get rid of my allergic rhinitis. Can anyone help me with the treatment for this? I am a residing at Chennai, a highly polluted cosmopolitan city in India (South India). Is there any individual or institue that is engaged in research on this? I would like to help.

Pleae provide me ways and means to cure my allergic rhinitis and please suggest is there any lifestyle modification that will help in fighting the problem.
Hi, welcome to the forum, the normal IgE levels fall below 100. Any level above 500 is higher and is suggestive of allergy or parasitic infection. You have known to have abnormally high levels. It is usually seen secondary to exposure to allergen and subsequent reaction is mediated by IgE antibodies. Your body is known to hypersensitive to certain things.  

Stinging insects, Aeroallergens, Foods and additives like Milk, egg, peanuts, nuts, soy, and wheat are the most common agents to cause such allergic manifestations.

Measures for you to reduce IgE levels are-

- The triggering factor should be identified and should be avoided. Even a skin allergy test can be useful.
- Prompt treatment with anti histamines and corticosteroids during allergic attack.
- To sleep with windows closed
-  Taking bath before sleep will help to shred allergens.

I suggest you to consult to a skin specialist/ immunologist for further steps of management. Take care and regards.