Allergy Community
allergic to nickel in implants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

allergic to nickel in implants

I had 4 dental implants on top (my 4 front teeth) in 1998 at U.I.C. dental school. They botched big time & never finished it. So in 2006 I had the one put it that U.I.C. didn't do at another implant specialist. Since then I'm had tiny pimples on my upper lip. By 2010 I had a full-blown rash all over my face. I called them to ask what the materials were & they never returned my call. I called in 2011 & they told me they were titanium & hung up. Today in 2013 I still have this same rash. I called earlier this year to again ask & the receptionist & tried to ask what other materials my be in there & she only said "I don't have that information". I later learned that before a certain date all titanium implants had nickel alloys in them. I was within that time frame so I'm convinced they are the implants. I've also developed auto-immune disorders & am constantly inflamed.  

Does anyone have or know of anyone who's had this problem? What did you or they do?
Given the lack of support and help you describe from UIC (A university?) I"d try to reach the school's administration through a "public advocate" or perhaps a "Ombudsman" or other public interface the school offers. Bring you story and problem to their attention.   If a State U, then check with similar offices in the State Government, perhaps in an "Education Dept".  The school should I think have some responsibility to give full disclosure of your treatment, and indeed, take some responsibility for its resolution/correction.
Yes there are people like you out there that are in pain, etc. due to the
implants in their mouth.  Some people have no problems and then others have a whole lot of trouble.  We are finding this out one person at the time, now that we are able to all be in touch via the internet.  Get in touch with me.  I can tell you what 35 other people have gone through and how well they are doing since they had them removed.   Serbin
Thank you for your response. I will try this. :)
Thanks you Serbin. Is there a way I can contact them or could you send me some info? I'd appreciate it. :)