Allergy Community
allergic to titanium springs?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

allergic to titanium springs?

I had essure titanium springs put in my fallopian tubes June of '06.  That winter my skin on my hands started cracking and bleeding.  I assumed it was from the winter weather.  I went to a dematologist who said it was exzema (eczema) and it was moderate.  Now 2 years later it has progressed to the bottoms of my feet and my hands.  It itches all the time.  I feel like I have poison oak.  I get very deep cracks in my feet and it is hard to walk.  My hands are peeling, cracked and bleeding.  It seems to be getting worse.  It doesn't matter what I put on it, it doesn't go away. Even topical prescription cortizone doesn't do anything.  This really acts like an allergy.  My body is on high alert.  I even itch after taking benedryl.  It makes me think I am allergic to the titanium in the springs.  I am sure this is not the only ingredient in them though.  Can you find any information on this?  Should I go get allergy tested and for what metals?   Thank you for any help.
"Miserable in California"

True allergy to titanium is rare.When titanium is combined with other metals like nickel,then allergy can take place as nickel is a  common sensitizer. Diagnosis is done by skin patch test or blood tests for allergy. MELISA (Memory Lymphocyte Immunostimulation Assay) test is a blood test that is confirmatory for metal allergy.

I feel that you should consult your doctor and talk about this allergy and the option of changing the metal springs as avoidance is the only treatment for metal allergies. Desensitization techniques, such as allergy shots,also are not effective for metal allergies.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Did you get preganant since the spring implant?  Sometimes your immune system changes after a pregnancy.  I develped celiac disease after baby #1.  Also develped a reaction to swimming in fresh water ponds and lakes.  Never had that before the pregnancy.  I hope you find out what is bothering you.

Did you ask your Dr. if nickle is in the springs?  That is a common allergen.
Carol