Allergy Community
allergies, cold sores and swollen lymph nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

While pregnant with my 3rd baby in 4 yrs, my mom noticed swelling at the base of my neck/top of back.  I assumed it was water retention.  In October, when my baby was 2 months old, I developed terrible allergies in my eyes that caused me to rub my eyes constantly - even in my sleep.

By Thanksgiving, my eyes had gone from being bloodshot and puffy to swollen shut.  My doctor prescribed steroids.  Within 3 days of stopping 2 separate round of steroids (which did help all the allergy symptoms and swelling), my swollen sensitive eyes would start up again and then my mouth broke out in terrible cold sores.  I've had larger ones on my bottom lip since a child.  But these are completely different.  Tiny little blisters along my top lip and the skin around my lips.  Gross.  

I've been to an allergist and now know that I am highly allergic to mold and dust as well as dogs (we have 2) tomatoes, wheat, cats, beef, chicken, and apparently cheap perfume?  The mold and dust is the most severe along with seasonal allergies.  I am taking Xyzal which seems to have a slim tether on the eye situation.  But now that I'm off the steroids, my cold sores are terrible and now my lymph nodes are completely swollen in my neck and armpits and the swelling at the back of my neck/upper back is much larger.  My allergist seems to be not alarmed.  I'm freaking out about cancer etc.

Help?  Do I need a different type of Doctor?  

If the symptoms and swelling subsides with steroids then the chances that it could be cancer are minimal. You still need to review with your allergy specialist and talk to him/her about your persistent symptoms.

Also talk to him/her whether a biopsy of the enlarged lymph nodes is required. Till then, you need to avoid all the substances  that you are allergic to and also keep some oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications handy, so that they can be used in case of a flare up of your symptoms.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Regards.