Allergy Community
allergies causing eyes to act weird

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

allergies causing eyes to act weird

Does anyone get blurred, red, sticky, itchy, sparks in their eyes in the dark, stuck lids on waking during high pollen count? The pollen count in my area is extremely high right now and my eyes are causing me havoc, driving me nuts. I am really scared because my eyes have never done these weird things before until this week. Thanks for your help!!

You are right in saying that pollen allergy can cause such kind of symptoms in the eyes. . Most pollens are windborne; they can often blow indoors (typically through open windows and doors) and trigger allergic symptoms such as allergic rhinitis (hay fever) within your home, not just outdoors.

Diagnosis is done by skin testing or by blood tests like RAST.
Remain indoors when the outdoor pollen levels are highest like windy days. You can also use a pollen and dust mask. Use a clothes dryer instead of hanging the wash outside, where it acts as a filter trap for pollen. Make sure to clean and replace your air conditioner and air cleaner filters regularly. Also effective are various types of air-filtering devices, which can be added to the heating and cooling systems in the home.

You can take OTC anthistaminics like benadryl or zyrtec.Topical eye solutions and corticosteroid eye drops can also help in relief.Severe cases may require oral steroids and immunotherapy.

If the symptoms do not improve after the above measures also,then eye conditions like conjunctivitis and eye infections have to be ruled out.You need to consult an eye specialist in that case.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing.