Allergy Community
allergies to carbonated drinks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

allergies to carbonated drinks

I have noticed that every time i consume a form of carbonated drink, i.e. cola....my body cannot cope with it very well. Even if its a small sip! I was wondering if anyone knows if there may be a substance within the carbonated drinks which may cause excessive bloating, vomiting, headaches, gastrointestinal discomfort, and general aching to the body??

I have done some research and i believe  Quinine dihydrochloride, Quinine sulfate is an additive to carbonated drinks which may case such problems as an allergic reaction.

I went to the pharmacist and essentially by drinking carbonated drinks poisons my body, like food poisoning would!

Thank you for your help
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Well, there are many things you in cola that you could be allergic to. Coloring agents, preservatives, and phosphoric acid can all cause allergic reactions or intolerance. You could also have some kind of carbohydrate intolerance to the sweeteners used in cola drinks.  About quinine being present in colas, I am not sure. But yes, quinine if present can cause allergic reactions.You should consult an allergy specialist and get yourself tested for allergies to ingredients of colas so that you can avoid them in other food stuffs too.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Wow! I an also allergic to carbonated drinks and suffer similar symptoms. However, the symptoms I suffer from come from the carbon it's self, not the quinine.