Allergy Community
allergy to rum and whiskey?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

allergy to rum and whiskey?

I know that I'm not allergic to wheat, so it can't be that, but when I drink rum and whisky it makes me puke for days, similar to the effects of food poisoning. However, I'm not allergic to beer or vodka, so I know its not an alcohol intolerance. Is it possible that I'm just allergic to rum and whisky?

It is usually not the alcohol that produces the allergic reaction to it. The other ingredients in the alcohol, such as yeast, sulfur dioxide, and additives are often the culprits.

Secondly, alcohol (ethanol) is broken down by liver enzymes within minutes.If individuals can't break down alcohol easily, problems may occur if alcohol is consumed.The symptoms that you are having may be due to deficiency of aldehyde dehydrogenase(enzyme for breaking down alcohol and produced by liver).So pls get your liver function tests evaluated.

Hope it helps .Take care and pls do keep us posted in case you have any additional queries.Kind regards.