I know that I'm not allergic to wheat, so it can't be that, but when I drink rum and whisky it makes me puke for days, similar to the effects of food poisoning. However, I'm not allergic to beer or vodka, so I know its not an alcohol intolerance. Is it possible that I'm just allergic to rum and whisky?
It is usually not the alcohol that produces the allergic reaction to it. The other ingredients in the alcohol, such as yeast, sulfur dioxide, and additives are often the culprits.
Secondly, alcohol (ethanol) is broken down by liver enzymes within minutes.If individuals can't break down alcohol easily, problems may occur if alcohol is consumed.The symptoms that you are having may be due to deficiency of aldehyde dehydrogenase(enzyme for breaking down alcohol and produced by liver).So pls get your liver function tests evaluated.
Hope it helps .Take care and pls do keep us posted in case you have any additional queries.Kind regards.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.