Allergy Community
allergy to sulpha drugs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

allergy to sulpha drugs

i am allergic to sulpha.  is sulphites the same thing?
I found this link that may be helpful. http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/services/di/sulfa.htm

Sulfonamides is rx drugs like diuretics/antibiotics, isn't the
same as sulpha used on dried fruit like apricots.
my mom has been told that i am allergic to sulpha drugs during childhood how can i find out still if i am allergic and is there any way to find that
Allergic to sulpha - sepmax

No, sulpha drugs and sulphites are not the same thing.

Sulpha drugs are sulfonamides and Sulfites are food preservatives. Some people can experience bronchoconstriction after ingesting sulfites but the mechanism for sulfite-induced bronchoconstriction is different than the proposed mechanisms for sulfonamide reactions

An allergy to sulfa drugs does not imply an allergy to sulfited foods.

For your allergy to sulfa drugs, the primary antibiotic that you need to avoid is sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (Bactrim).

Hope it has helped you.

In case you need any more information, then pls post us.
i have a child who severly reacts to sulpha-based antibiotics, he's ended up in hospital twice because of it not being diagnosed properly the first time.  Does any one know if my other children are likely to react the same way?

Wuzzle.
Have heard that since I am allergic to sulpha drugs, I should not drink red wine because it contains sulfites. So is this true?
It is possible that all your children could be. I have four children, and they all developed rashes when given sulpha based antibiotics. It's probably a good idea to remind your pediatrician when he/she is prescribing medication.
My husband is allergic to sulfa based drugs.  He has never had a problem with red wine or any other food.  He always tells any medical provider about the sulfa allergy.
I had some the other night and during the night the swelling began. By the next morning I looked pretty odd.  The red wine - a brand I'd never tried before -- is the likely culprit.