Allergy Community
area under eyes and on eyelids itchy, cracked, sores

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I've been suffering with this problem about four months now with little or no relief, except for the short period of time i was on prednison for breathing problems. i don't know what brought it on. I  can't put lotions, so i use anti bacterial ointments, vitamin E balms, or tea bags. Nothing is helping. The area under my eyes and my eyelids (as well as in the creases of my eyes) get cracked  and begin to peel to the point where sores have developed. They are very itchy. As far as my actual eyes, they also water heavily on and off for no particular reason. (allergens?) i was also prescribed the cortison drops and received very little relief while they lasted...........i have asthma and seasonal allergies, but it feels like i've developed an allergy, or allergies, but i don't know to what. i've seen three doctors and have been told it was an infection by one, and allergies by the other two. antibiotics didn't make it go away, so i'm assuming it's an allergy, but i'm not a dr.Am i stuck this way for life?

You could take some oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications like loratadine or cetrizine and see if it helps with your symptoms. Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions to help soothe the itching.

You would still need to consult your doctor about the associated symptoms you are having and to rule out a bacterial or fungal infection and whether you need a course of antibiotics or other medications.

What medications are you taking for your allergies and asthma? Do you have any problems with your vision?

Let us know about how you are doing and post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.