Allergy Community
bad allergies and no relief

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

bad allergies and no relief

im 24 starting last yea i developed horrible allergies the worst ive ever had. My nose becomes incredibly congested and stuffed to the point that i can't blow my nose. My ears will start hurting due to the pressure, and my head hurts. My nose, forehead, and eyes itch and when i try to gently rub the area (i know..bad) it feels like my skin is burning cause its so senstive. I drink a lot of water and have tried allgera, clartin, and benedryl, even a neti pot none of which helps. I never know when my allergies will strike and sometimes they can last for days. I don't have insurance to get allergy shots. what can i do to help with my allergies?
Tags: Allergies
Two things. Did you take the allergy pills for more than one day? So many people will take a pill or two and think that should cure them. They need to be taken every day...every day....every day.

Second thing...do you know what you're allergic to?
If you haven't been tested, then I suggest doing that. If you can't be tested due to cost or whatever, then try the process of elimination.
Start with foods, pets, or anything else that seems to make you worse.
If you suspect foods, then start by eating only bland items. No spices. Try rice and toast. Wait 2 days and then add one other thing. Wait two days and add something else.
This is a tedious process, but it works.
If you think it may be animals try to avoid them for a few days. If they live in your house, then try to keep them out of your sleeping area.
If you suspect dust, change the furnace filters every two weeks.

I can't escape mine ( snow molds) as I live in "snow country" so what I do is use claritin nose spray followed by a sinus cleanse.
I have tried many different allergy pills over the course of 40 years and they all make me drowzy...so it's a no win situation for me. lol

Good luck in your quest.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

In an entity called allergic rhinitis, the symptoms are similar to a common cold, but they are usually more persistent and show seasonal variation. The individual responds to an allergen, which can be in many forms like dust and household mites. It appears that you are suffering from such a phenomenon.

You can tackle this problem in the following ways: Prevention and Therapy during attacks.

For prevention: Try to maintain an allergen-free environment. Substitute all synthetic and cool materials with cotton ones. Remove all dust-collecting household articles like carpets, bedspreads etc. Alternatively an allergy specialist may try to identify the offending allergen and try to desensitize you.

Using low dose steroidal nasal sprays, are very effective. The steroid in the spray is very low and acts only locally. Two puffs in each nostril two times a days for about a month. The effect starts only after 2weeks of therapy.

Once an attack has occurred, the antihistamines like chlopheneramine, lovatidine are effective. Nasal decongestant drops too relieve congestion.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.