Allergy Community
beer allergy?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

beer allergy?

hi, I'm 47 years old.. been drinking coors light for years..like every day, Now it makes me really sick, i cant even finish one any more. i think i was up to 8 a day...for a long time. now.. i get extremely weak all of a sudden, thats the main one. it lasts for hours. i thought it was cause i didnt eat right. or mayb dehydrated. if i remember correctly..i bought a bottle of wine yesterday.. almost finished it during the course of the day..decided to get a coors .. man.. weak., maybe felt  anxiety..cause i didnt know what was going on.. i didnt drink at all all the next day.. bought a coors light.. couldnt finish it. . its like i took a huge swig.. and my arms felt like all the energy left it. i'm about to go get a bottle of wine to c what happens.. any ideas?
Related Discussions
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
it almost feels like i just got poisoned..
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Beer is made from wheat. Do you get that reaction from bread or anything else? I have a wheat allergy and I would get a sore throat when drinking beer. Get allergy tested from your doc...
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
nope.. no reaction from bread. i love pizza. that wine i mentioned..no reaction. i'm considering trying a dif beer...but man.. dont want to get sick. gluten allergy?.. ty brimacx.  i never get a sore throat btw. its more extreme weakness, kinda a nausea, um flashes of sweat, possible rapid pulse..anxiety, but that could be me freaking out
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Definitely sounds like some type of allergy. I would get tested for sure...
Blank
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,

It is usually not the alcohol that produces the allergic reaction to the wine or beer. The other ingredients in the alcohol, such as yeast, sulfur dioxide, and additives are often the culprits. Beer may contain a variety of ingredients, including barley, corn, wheat, and rye that may precipitate an allergic reaction.
ref:http://www.aaaai.org/patients/advocate/2006/winter/wineandbeer.asp

Alcohol (ethanol) is broken down by liver enzymes within minutes. Conversion of ethanol to acetaldehyde requires the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase. Acetaldehyde is then transformed to acetic acid ("vinegar") by the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase. If individuals can't break down alcohol easily, problems may occur if alcohol is consumed.The symptoms that you are having may be due to deficiency of aldehyde dehydrogenase.So pls get your liver function tests evaluated.

I feel that it is important to find out the ingredient in beer to which you might be allergic.For that pls consult an allergy specialist and get skin ***** tests and blood tests for allergy done. If the skin testing is negative, it is likely that you are intolerant to wine and beer. If the skin testing is positive, you should avoid food and drink that contain that specific ingredient.

Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries.

Blank
Avatar_f_tn
hi carbon 505, ........... i have the very same problem with alcohol ,i have been able to drink about 6 glasses of Bacardi ,..........in one night mixed with 7 up .........ive had the weakness to ,.............all so i break out in lots of itchy  lumps all over my body ......i feel the blood rushing to my head ,...........and i get a feeling my head is about to burst ,.........and last i get a shiver all over me ,this all lasts about 2 hours ,...........i than thought i would try another type of alcohol ,.....just to see if it was that ,.........because i hadn't had a drink in sometime ,...........and i thought it might have been because of that ,so i tyred a glass of cider ,.......i only had 3 mouth fulls and it all started again the next week ,.........i think it might be something to do with the liver both the drinks were different ,......no..i would say it to do with the liver ...and i have been takeing lots of paracetamol ,over the years ,........and dont they say paracetamol is very bad for the liver ,..........can you tell me what you might think about this ,??
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
i hope it isnt the liver...we need that one..hehe. i havent gotten anything tested yet. cant.. on a kinda a sabatical..no insurance till i go back. but anyway, i tried a dif beer.. seem to be ok. wine..never a problem. i seem to be getting the same symptoms again after maybe about a week mayb. not as bad...but enough for me to not finish the miller lite. i should just quit, that would just fix everything. which brings me to that prob.. how the heck do u do that after soooo many years?  whats the first step.. just wake up and say "no" not today.. seems so impossible. need to find someone who has done it mayb.
anyway ty for all the input. if i come up w/anything else.. i'll  post for sure. and i'll chk back on the this thread frequently..too.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
i hope its not my liver to ,............as for giving up the drink ,........im not to bad ,.i dont go out for a drink anymore ,....due to my depression ,.............but sometimes i fancy one at home ,...............bu i am going to a wedding in oct ,.......in the uk ,......nice you might say but i will want to have a drink with everyone else ,..............so i just have a prob if i have to go to a celebration of some sort ,............i was thinking of takeing a box of antihistamines,with me and take them 2 hours before hand ,............i am going to the hosp tomorrow for blood tests ,......i dont know if my d,r, is testing me or the liver ,....because i dont understand what he has down in the letter ,...........but i did tell him about all the paracetamol i have been takeing ,...........and all i know is they will takeing 6 bottles from me ,...........so hopefully one is for my liver ...... i will let you know next week when the results come back ......good look on trying to give the drink up ,.......
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
i have drank coors lite for years also.  i seem to have allergy related problems certain times of the yr. like late summer when it is dry and pollens are high.  major head/ ear congestion.  if i drink 4-6 there is no problem but if do 8 or more then here we go.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Asthma & Allergy Answerers
Avatar_f_tn
Blank
evewisewoman
Toronto, ON
746512_tn?1388811180
Blank
Tammy2009
Calgary, AB
363281_tn?1353103243
Blank
SassyLassie
Hanmer Springs, New Zealand
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ