Allergy Community
bit by black fly, eye is swollen...how do I treat it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

you can try some cortisone cream to decrease the inflammation but be careful not to get it in your eye.  If you get any visual symptoms or pain moving the eye you should see your doctor immediately.  You should also see him/her for some antibiotics if you see any increase in redness or suspect it might be infected.

'There are a number of steps you can take to prevent and reduce mild under-eye puffiness:

* Get enough sleep at night. For most adults, seven to eight hours a night appears to be the best amount of sleep.
    * Sleep with your head slightly raised. Add an extra pillow or prop up the head of your mattress. This helps prevent fluids from accumulating around your eyes as you sleep.
    * While sitting up, apply a cool tap water compress to the skin under your eyes for a few minutes. You can also use chilled cucumber slices, a refrigerated gel mask or chilled, damp tea bags.
    * Reduce allergy symptoms. Avoid allergens when possible, and ask your doctor about over-the-counter or prescription allergy medications.'

You could read more about the condition at the following link -

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-eyes/DS00463/DSECTION=7

If puffiness is severe and persistent or you notice swelling (edema) in other parts of your body, see your doctor.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.