Allergy Community
burning scalp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

burning scalp

i have a burning sensation on my scalp sometimes it eases but sometimes i want to cry with the pain im unsure when it started i had my hair tinted 4 months ago it never hurt at the time but now. i have tried antidandruff shampoo (ketacotazole i think its spelt like that) evening primrose antihestimines coal tar shampool t gel shampoo and calms incase it was related to stress  and jojoba oil please help
Could be a shampoo or conditioner you are using or a hair Spray, ,I get it but mine is related to Hives I get on my skin aswell I am trying to find a cure for, the Natural way without the Heavy steroids they tell you to take.Think of any new things you have put on your Hair I doubt it ould have taken 4 months if it had been the color.

There can be a number of causes for burning sensation and pain of scalp.

It can be some allergic reaction to shampoo or hair products.It may be stress or anxiety induced or may be migraine headache.

Diabetes and vit B12 deficiency can also cause it.Pls get your blood sugar done to rule out diabetes.Other causes include stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body can also cause burning sensation of scalp.

Another possibility is of giant cell arteritis or temporal arteritis.It occurs when there is inflammation and necrosis (death of the tissues) of one or more arteries. It most commonly occurs in the head, especially in the temporal arteries that branch from the carotid artery of the neck.
Also,as you are 42;this can be due to premenopausal syndrome also.Pls get yourself evaluated for that.

I feel that evaluation by a neurologist and a complete physical examination is required.So pls consult a neurologist to reach a confirmatory diagnosis.

Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing.
Could be anything even an infection on the skin. I's stop using shampoo completely for the moment until you can get a proper diag from your doctor. I can't really use any shampoo with out problems so I use "Dove white or unscented moisturizing bar soap" for my hair and scalp, then a Dove hair conditioner. That seems to settle my problems. Shampoos are not tolerated on some people.

This can happen once the scalp has become irritated and before your hair procedure your scalp was never irritated. Reversing the irritation could fix the problem if from this.

Seeking an evaluation from a doctor would be a great idea. I'm only pointing out one possibility and that is removing shampoo for a good week or two. Don't do this and wait to see what happens, just something you can do now while waiting for an app to a Dr. If it help, then maybe that was it. If not you still have your app. Good luck.