Allergy Community
can food allergies cause itchy anus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

can food allergies cause itchy anus

hi i am a 22 year old man. i went to the doctor a while ago because my anus was itching really bad. The doc gave me some cream and some suppositories which only provided relief when used but as soon as i stop the cream the itch started back. He said no hemorroids (hemorrhoids) or fissures or anything like that. It itches so bad that i scratch to provided relief and then my anus gets sore. I was wondering if possibly i have a food allergry that is causeing this annoying itch. I have been eating alot of wheat bread to get ample amounts of fiber in order to see if that could fix this problem. Do you think that maybe the wheat bread is causing the itch,. The itch is only present after a bm. and if i don't take a shower and fully wash out my anus the itch gets so bad it makes wipe my anus sore in order to scratch the itch. i have read some people who have stopped eating wheat and their anal itch has gone away.. anybody have any simliar problems or solutions
Avatar n tn
Yes!  Same problem as you describe, and giving up wheat has completely ELIMINATED the itch!  I have been wheat and gluten-free (gluten is the primary culprit in causing the itch) for 3 weeks and the itch, which I have been dealing with for more than 20 years, is gone!  To further illustrate this, last week I slipped up and ate some frozen meatballs that contained gluten and wheat flour and within 2-1/2 hours my bottom was so inflamed I could hardly stand it. Interestingly, the skin heals almost immediately after the wheat clears out of your system.  As bad as my skin looked, I thought it would take days or weeks to heal.  In fact, as early as the next day all the redness and inflammation were gone.

Do a Google search about anal itching and wheat allergies. You'll be a believer.  Better yet, give up wheat!  Be extra vigilant in reading ingredient labels -- gluten is in almost everything, especially canned soups, broth, soy sauce, marinades, almost anything containing wheat (I think sprouted wheat bread is gluten-free), even corn chips that are gluten-free can share a conveyor belt and become cross-contaminated.  I highly recommend reading some books about going gluten-free and food intolerances in general.  They will be very helpful.

The good news is, after 4-6 months of a wheat-free diet, you can usually reintroduce it and as long as you don't eat it too frequently.  Once every 3-4 days and most people are okay.  People develop a wheat intolerance because they eat wheat at almost every meal.

Hope that's helpful...
It might not be allergy at ally. It can be a simple parasitic infestation. Try Tablet mebendazole 100 mg twice daily for 3 days.
What cream did u use to take the pain away?
These are some of the causes for itchy anus

Constipation. Wrong food habits. Controlling the natural urge to defaecate or urinate. Not drinking enough water. Sedentary life style. Diet deficient in fibre foods. Lack of physical exercise, activities. Obesity. Drugs / Medicines. Poor hygiene. Pregnancy.
I realize this is an old post, but I, too, a life-long sufferer of this problem no longer have this problem after giving up gluten. I used to have canker sores and anal itching, along with heartburn. These problems had been issues for me since my teen years. Giving up gluten has eliminated all of these issues. When I have an accidental exposure, the first symptom to return is the itching. Try going totally gluten free for two weeks. Believe me, I do not miss the gluten. I have been GF for 2 1/2 years and will never go back.
I have this problem when i eat too much refined grain products. I recently ate corn chips and the problem flared up the next morning. It started maybe a year ago. I dont know what triggered it. It coincided with a general lactose intolerance. So all dairy and refined carb products are off my shopping list... FOREVER :<
I have had an itch in my anus for around ten years, plus bloating, stomach cramp,skin hives, asthma symptoms, sore eyes, post nasal drip. I have been to the doctors many times who have treated me fir worm and Irritable bowel. Nothing has worked. I get a lot of strands of undigested food fibres I&#x27;m my stools,  is this normal?  I thought I must have thread worms, but now think it could be a gluten problem. I will try touching my diet based on your experiences. I hope it works!
Avatar n tn
I had same issues. Going gluten free cleared them up though sometimes even refined grains trigger them again. Vsl3 probiotics help calm everything down. Eating more vegetables and fruit help enormously too. My doctor says that eating clean whole foods is the best medicine. Look up dr. Robynne Chutkan.
Avatar n tn
Same problem and has just developed over the last five years or so.  Stopped eating refined white flour products and went away.  Slipped up and ate two slices of BJs Brewhouse pizza which is made with very thick, thick, white doughy crust.  Next morning...whammo...itchy bobo.  Due to GERD (diagnosed 14 years ago) I have switched to a whole foods diet and I am vegetarian so I know it was the pizza because I rarely if ever eat that type of food.  Thanks mass produced cheaply made food of America.
You can also try an elimination diet. Start with a small few REAL foods and wait a few days to reintroduce one REAL food, every 3 days. If the small few you start with don&#39;t help, change them to a different batch. Eliminate dairy, gluten and night shades (no, not blue and purple) as well as legumes,and high allergy foods to begin with. Go simple and bland. Then add each new food also bland.
Avatar n tn
I have had this problem off and on for several year.  I noticed that whenever I eat almonds, oatmeal, Golean crunch or breads/cookies the anal itch starts a few days later. Once I eliminate these the issue goes away after a couple of days. I would also see eczema on the hands, eyelid, behind the ears and scrotum that would come and go and I eat these foods.
Avatar n tn
Pizza causes the same issues and eating tortilla chips.  It's difficult to pin point the root cause since it is a delayed reaction for me.  My diet is basically Fruits, Veggies and meat and then everything is great.
I totally had the same experience. Massive itching anus, like 10,000 microscopic demons were tickling me with their pitchforks. Eliminated grain (not sure if wheat specifically was the cause for me), and after two or three days the raging itching subsided, and was completely gone within a week. I still have wheat from time to time but with the expectation that I&#39;ll itch. Donuts are too good to pass up. Incidentally I also have a patch of eczema the size of a quarter on my scrotum, but only if I eat grain.