Allergy Community
celiac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

celiac

Help.
Recently, we were made aware that my boyfriend has celiac. We thought we had been good about watching what is in the products he has been eating but there was something in the food that is still hurting him.
He is still getting violently ill. We are wondering if there is something else (food or ingredient) out there that may give similar problems / pain?

Is there other people out there with the same problem? Is there something else that we need to be careful of?
Any help would be appreciated.
Sincerely
Jamie

'Presently, the only effective treatment is a life-long gluten-free diet.[53] No medication exists that will prevent damage, or prevent the body from attacking the gut when gluten is present. Strict adherence to the diet allows the intestines to heal, leading to resolution of all symptoms in the vast majority of cases and, depending on how soon the diet is begun, can also eliminate the heightened risk of osteoporosis and intestinal cancer.'

'Dietician input is generally requested to ensure the patient is aware which foods contain gluten, which foods are safe, and how to have a balanced diet despite the limitations. In many countries gluten-free products are available on prescription.'

You could read more about the condition at the following links -

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.
Hi, im a 17 year old Coeliac Disease sufferer. The only thing i can think of that could be setting this off is things in foods that aren't labelled properly or oats.
I can get away with eating small amounts of oats, but too much can spark off stomach aches.

Maybe having a week of eating simple foods such as: Rice, potatoes, gluten free pasta, gluten free pizza available from most good supermarkets and seeing if there is a difference in his reactions.

I also found that simple things such as toasting gluten free bread in a toaster that has been contaminated with normal bread can cause reactions

hope this helps
good luck

I read your comment and found it really interesting. I have been diagnosed of having Celiac Disease through a blood test which know one has told me about having a test done like that. My thyroid levels have been dropping down too much low 24 and I have never been told the answers to that mysterious drop. I wanted to know why I couldn't lose weight and find out why I look like I am 6 months pregnant and finally found my answer. Now it will have to be confirmed 100% by a biopsy test of the bowel and an endoscopy. All I know is that if I have gluten foods I feel nauseous. I have a feeling i am gluten intolerant for sure. I had something without gluten in it and I didn't feel sick. The gluten free bread is ok if you toast it.

Manny