Allergy Community
chest pain from doxycycline

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

chest pain from doxycycline

I was given doxycycline to treat a head cold after 4 days of treatment i was starting to have some side effects eg. acid reflux,loss of appetite, nausea, and a few more. Stopped taken the doxycycline and started to have chest pain went to a+e ecg performed, results normal i was sent home saying it was muscular pain. The pain has'nt fully subsided and currently being treated for acid reflux
Have any body else had this problem with this drug?
im 28yrs female diabetic type 2

Im worried that this could be a heart problem or is it connected to the drug (doxycycline)
      I think you have mistaken the symptom of heart burn or acidity for chest pain or heart problem. Doxycycline does not cause any heart problems. But it is better to get evaluated for heart problems with a lipid profile, holter monitoring, tread mill test etc as you are suffering from type 2 diabetes, which is one of the risk factors for developing ischemic heart disease. Also, try taking antacids and bland diet to cope with the discomfort.
Consult a cardiologist for further assistance on this. Best.
Hi I had the similar problem with absolutely no support from the treating physician (no, they do not have type 2 diabetes, Dr Vereena...). I consulted another physician on Doxycycline and he confirmed that this drug is highly corrosive to the lining of the esophagus if not swallowed with plenty of water and with the patient remaining upright after ingesting the pill, for at least 30minutes.

Basically what happens is that the pill sticks to the lining of your esophagus if not taken with enough water, or if you lie down after taking it. With time the capsule dissolves exposing the esophagus to the Doxycycline. If left, for a even a couple of hours, it causes ulcers and lesions to occur wherever the chemical has come in contact with the esophagus. The clinical term is Pill-induced Esophagitis.

It is extremely painful especially when swallowing (anything - food, fluids, even saliva) and causes major chest pain and shortness of breath when doing so. This can last up to 10 days and longer - even if you have stopped the drug.

Check out this article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2033383/How-pill-water-burn-hole-throat-One-doctor-learns-hard-way-gulp-tablets.html

The only things I found helped, were drinking soups and smoothies, finishing this off with sips of water to cleanse the esophagus, then drinking 1-2 teaspons of pure avocado oil (avocados are rich in Omega's which help to heal tissue, as well as Vitamin E which is known to aid in tissue repair too. It also coats the esophagus, since it is an oil, which seems to provide some relief too).

If it gets really really bad, speak to your doc and see if he can get you on Tramadol - it's quite a strong painkiller (schedule 5) but it seems to be one of the few that relieve this kind of pain.