Allergy Community
child allergic to amoxicillin
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

child allergic to amoxicillin

I have a 3 1/2 month old who had 2 recurrent ear infections. He was placed on Cefdinir first, then amoxicillin. 10days after his first dose he broke up in hives.  We took him to the doctor and was told that he was allergic to amoxicillin. We immediately started him on Benadryl every 6hrs and it seemed to have work but as the benadryl wears off his rashes starts to come back. We have been giving him benadryl round the clock x 2 1/2 days now. My question is -- why did it take so long for him to get a reaction from amoxicillin? I thought you typically see a reaction immediately after you take a medication. Also, how long will it take for the amoxicillin to be out of his system and for him to be rash free? I thought it would have only taken 24hrs for his rashes to go away and things would be back to normal. Does having a low grade temperature with the rashes be common because of the inflammatory process or should I be concerned and take him back to the doctor?  If the rashes continues, will the doctor put him on a steroid medication?  I don't like to see my child taking any medication unless he really needs it especially at this young of an age. Any answers is greatly appreciated.