Allergy Community
choking in sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

choking in sleep

my brother start to choking in sleeping and we test it and we find allergy he start to take pills but nothing help it every time he sit or lay down he`s not filling good and when he sleep he start to choking he cant ,every night is like that for 8-9 days

Sleep apnea is a disruption of breathing while asleep. It is of 3 types:
1) Obstructive sleep apnea
2) Central sleep apnea
3) Mixed sleep apnea

A cessation of breathing must last 10 seconds or more to be called an apnea. Obstructive apnea episodes can last as long as two minutes and are almost always associated with a reduction in the level of oxygen in the blood.

Symptoms of sleep apnea are

• Choking or gasping during sleep to get air into the lungs
• Loud snoring
• Sudden awakenings to restart breathing
• Waking up in a sweat during the night
• Feeling unrefreshed in the morning after a night’s sleep
• Headaches, sore throat, or dry mouth in the mornings after waking up
• Daytime sleepiness

You can check for sleep apnea at home also. The best first step is to involve your spouse or other family member. He or she can audiotape or videotape you while you are sleeping. The sounds and repeated silences and struggles to breathe are highly characteristic. If you suspect sleep apnea, then pls consult your physician at the earliest.

Your physician should refer you for a diagnostic sleep study. These diagnostic tests can be carried out in the convenience of your own home or in a sleep disorders center. During a sleep study your breathing, heart rate, oxygen level, eye movement and brain waves are monitored while you sleep in a sleep lab.  A sleep lab is a specialized unit staffed by a team of health care providers and other specialists who have expertise in the study and treatment of sleep disorders.

If this is sleep apnea it does need to be treated.  The most common and effective treatment is the use of a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device.
Sleep apnea can also be treated surgically.

I hope that I have provided you with sufficient information. If you need any more, then pls do post us.

Regards and take care.
I was fitted with a BiPap for sleep apnea.  Is your brother overweight?  
Thanks  a lot for the info . but my brother stop to chock for 3,4 days every thing was cool till tonight  and  he was eating and start to chock the same way he`s voice change a lot he`s seying he start to chock becose he was to long on my room when he`s in my room little longer the voice starting to change. That choking can be dadly?
and no my brother is not overweight but is eating like a pig:)