cold urticaria
I am a 24 yr old female who lives in Australia... I was diagnosed with cold urticaria at age 14, after I went swimming in a cold pool, I fainted when I got out of the pool and nearly went into anaphalctic shock... I have had to carry an epi-pen with me everywhere for the past 10 years... I never take any medications such as antihistimines...I just avoid cold triggers, never go swimming, never go to the snow... only limit myself to how much of an ice-cream i can eat, before my tongue and lips start to swell up and hurt.... I have read many forums regarding cold urticaria, and many people and drs have said that it usually onlys lasts for 5-6 years..... I have had it for 10 years now, ans have learnt to live with it... My only concern is that I have a 6yr old son and a 2 yr old daughter, and I worry that they may develop cold urticaria later in life from me? Is is possible to carry it onto your children? Any info from anyone would be great! :) Bek
I have chronic Urticaria and Dermographism, the heat doesnt cause it but makes it worse, go online you will find other people who have it there is a Hive society!!  I am hoping mine will go as quickly as it came I have had it for 5 months, came on after Dental work, am still researching it and what could I be allergic to, the Meds ets The Docs here pescribed were useless and made me sick, and forget Prednisone I had that pleasure years ago with something else, so I am going the Natural route to the best of my knowledge no one had Hives in my Family but my Father had Dermatitus , your best bet and hopefully you will get some help here would be to go online and put it in I did theres a lot of information out there.

There are two forms of cold urticaria, a rare familial (hereditary) form and a more common acquired form.The possibility of your children acquiring it is always there.

To check whether your children are having it or not,pls get a cold allergy test done from an allergy specialist. Cold urticaria is diagnosed by holding an ice cube against the skin of the forearm for 1 to 5 minutes. A distinct hive should develop if a patient has cold urticaria.

Regarding your condition of cold urticaria persisting for so many years(usually it goes after5-6yrs), Sometimes cold urticaria is a symptom of another problem, such as cryofibrinogenemia, cryoglobulinemia, or syphilis.So please contact a dermatologist/immunologist to get a more confirmatory diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted in case of any additional queries and how you are doing.
Try going gluten free with your diet......i have seen results from this...
I have only found out a few months ago I have cold urticaria and have booked a trip to Canada skiing with my family. I have skied all my life and want to go. Has anyone been to Canada skiing with Cold urticaria?
I did an Aqua Aerobics class earlier today in a previously untried gym pool.  When I got into the water I thought it was a little cold but started doing the class thinking as I exercised it would be OK.  After 20 minutes my whole body was covered in an itchy red rash and it got so bad I had to leave the pool.  As I walked to the ladies' showers I felt quite faint and nauseous.  I stood under the warm shower propped up against the shower wall as I was feeling so awful.  I managed to open the door and get help before I passed out.  Fortunately the gym staff came to my assistance and got some warm blankets.  It took 5 hours for the welts to completely disappear.  I have had Cold Urticaria for the last 55 years but have never had this happen to me.   Any thoughts.