Allergy Community
coughing only at night
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

coughing only at night

I only cough when I lay down at night to sleep. I get a tickle feeling in my throat and it makes me cough. Is this an allergy? I have never had any allergies before so I am not sure.
Related Discussions
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,

Cough on lying down is due to acid reflux like in gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD).

Acid from your stomach may back up into your throat. This is called acid reflux. It can cause heartburn or cough. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

Take some OTC antacid like Mylanta.You can also take zantac(ranitidine)or prilosec(omeprazole).These will help.Also keep your fluid electrolyte balance optimum by drinking lots of fluids.

Sometimes the cause of chronic cough can be asthma and medications like antihypertensives (ACE inhibitors).Pls check them out.

I hope I have provided you with sufficient information. In case you need any more then pls post us.
Take care and regards.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank