Allergy Community
coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

coughing

I've had coughing spasms for four months. The allergist prescribed Biaxin for 10 days afterwhich I stopped coughing for about a week and a half. I started taking Allegra D as prescribed because the coughing persisted, although decreased. The coughing spasms began to increase and the physcian's assistant prescribed Biaxin for 14 more days. It is now the 11th day of treatment and the cough is still present. This is a dry, non-productive cough. I don't have any other symptoms -- sinus problems, headaches, sore throat -- none! My voice is now hoarse from coughing. Help!
-8 Comments Post a Comment

Has a chest xray and CT scan of your sinuses been done? Do you have any fever or sputum production?

Have you had allergic reactions in the past? Are you allergic to any specific substances?

Do you have any other symptoms like breathlessness, reflux symptoms or heartburn or nasal symptoms like nasal discharge etc. Do you smoke?

Chronic cough is usually seen in cases of asthma, GERD or gastro esophageal reflux disease and sinusitis due to the post nasal drip.

You should try steam inhalation, warm saline gargles, saline nasal drops and oral antihistamine medications and see if it helps with your symptoms.

If the cough still persists, it would be best to consult your doctor and also get a chest xray done to rule out a chest infection.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you need any other information.

Regards.