Allergy Community
delayed reaction to wasp sting
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

delayed reaction to wasp sting

Hello,
I was stung Friday in the forehead, by what I think was a wasp. It stung and burnt for the first night. Saturday morning I woke up with swelling on my forehead. Sunday morning I woke up with worse swelling that almost made my eye swell shut. It is now calming down and the swelling is not as bad. Can anyone tell me if I should go see a doctor or what I should take to make swelling go down quicker.
Thank you for your help.
KL
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
535822_tn?1417529476
cold compress and ice, if it is calming down if it looks worse go to get it checked out.
Blank
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi,

Most simple insect stings in a nonallergic person needs just first aid treatment at home. Application of ice to the sting site may provide some mild relief and may be applied for 20 minutes once every hour as needed. Antihistamine such as diphenhydramine may be used for itching and ibuprofen for pain relief as needed. Wash the sting site with soap and water and if it has been more than 10 years since your last tetanus booster immunization, get a booster within the next few days.

Any of the following may indicate an allergic reaction and you may need to see a doctor immediately: difficulty breathing, difficulty speaking, swelling in the mouth or throat, rash all over the body, faintness or decreased level of consciousness, if the sting involves the eyeball itself, if a large localized reaction  or evidence of infection (increasing pain, swelling, redness, drainage of pus or fever) is present at the sting site or sites.

Take care and keep us posted.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
I got stung by a wasp on thursday night- aug. 21st. on my leg, in my calf muscle or there abouts.It immediately started getting red, and itching. by night time it was fire engine red, and hot as a fire cracker. i put ice on it, but it didnt really help.i took benedryl and have been using a non itching cream. now a few days later, my left ankle and toes decide to swell up. does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?? If i prop my foot up it seems to be a little better.i have been trying to drink alot of liquids to flush the toxins out. any suggestions.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Asthma & Allergy Answerers
Avatar_f_tn
Blank
evewisewoman
Toronto, ON
168348_tn?1379360675
Blank
ChitChatNine
746512_tn?1388811180
Blank
Tammy2009
Calgary, AB
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ
209987_tn?1418913008
Blank
tschock
AB
363281_tn?1353103243
Blank
SassyLassie
Hanmer Springs, New Zealand