Allergy Community
developing rash on neck and around mouth after eating that goes away

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I am 33 YOF in good shape, recentley I have been diagnosed with a thyroid condition known as Hoshimotos disease, however recently I have develop a rash after eating, on the corner of my mouth,chin and down my neck, its raised blotchy area's that look as if i was stung with neddles. I went to a allergy specialist and they found that i am not allergic to anything, after several needles in the back and no results other than there maybe a chemical reaction he explained. I have had dental issues from birth and have bad teeth (not from drug use, as I am not a drug user), the rash was first noticed when i went for a dental hygene visit and cleaning, this is when I first noticed the rash and figured it had to be a possable reaction to latex, I have encountered latex purposley since and imitated the procedure with a latex glove around my gums mouth and chin  with out any rash developing. now everytime I eat, I develop this rash and have a strange sense and feeling of lightness or spacey that goes away after 15 minutes or so. all my blood work has come back "normal". Is it possable that there is a chemichal reaction taking place with bacteria or an infection or something in my gums or teeth that would produce this rash when the teeth or gums are used or manipulated that could cause this rash or could it be a thyroid related problem not associated with Hoshimotos. Please I am at a loss and am in desperate need of advice in a next step.

Thank you
Becca
If you are doing this when you eat, it seems you are reacting to something. Many people still have allergies that test negative to allergies on the basic allergy testing on the back or arm. They can do "patch testing", where they test your skin directly with foods placed under patches. They might put 5-6 different foods under plastic patches on your back and see if you have direct skin reactions. I know many kids with an GI disease caused by multiple severe food allergies that test negative to the typical tests, but have severe reactions to the direct patch testing. Take care.

Cindy
I have the same problem as you. I also develop a rash around my cheeks ears bridge of nose, and down the line of my trachea, as well as chest area sometimes when I eat. I find that I feel a bit funny when the red rash occurs after I eat. It doesn't always happen, I find it occurs more often when I am really hungry, and/or really tired when I eat. I can't pin point any particular food or seasoning, it seems to be completely random. I also feel dizzy and lightheaded. Have you found an answer, I see that your post is from 2006 and it is now 2009. please email me if you have any new insight. thank you ***@****
I am having almost the same problem. I have had allergy testing that came back negative except for rag weed. I get a burning sensation, itching and little bumps around my mouth after I eat wierd things like apples, pears, peas, bread, dye free koolaid. Then I get this wierd dizzy, lightheaded, spacey drunken feeling in my head almost like I could pass out. I can't seem to find a connection between these items. Has anyone found an answer to this problem? Please email me if you think you can help.
Thank You,
Doodle
I'm  not sure if this is your problem but all those foods have high fructose levels. you might have fructose malabsorption
look up low FODMAP diet if you're interested.
not much information is available in america unfortunately, most research is being done in australia
I had perioral dermatitis and canker sores in the mouth (feels like you've sucked on lemons all tight), it was the later development of the sore in the mouth that made everything click into place. I had been using a high fluoride toothpaste prescribed by the dentist which is 5000ppm fluoride. A hypersensitivity to fluoride cause these side affects. change your toothpaste to fluoride free, don't use mouth wash and watch water, juice drinks and wine, mechanically de boned meats such as chicken nuggets. fluoride awareness sites give more details. Honestly I can not believe the difference, it was itchy, red with small bumps round my chin, started at one corner and worked across the front to the other side, and sometimes scaly, I then had the sores in the mouth but all are going / gone.