donating plasma does effect my immune system
will donating plasma lower my immune system

To my understanding, no but you could also consult with the plasma center's Medical Director. I do know my mother had one patient who had donated plasma too often (twice a week?) and she was having health issues... I think it was from dehydration though.

since I have started dontating plasma, I have had a 104 degree fever, gastroenteritis, and tonsillitis.  This is all within 4 months, and prior to that i have not been sick since the 5th grade.  I am 22 years old.  Undoubtidy donating plasma lowers your immune system and there is nobody who could ever tell me differently.

To donate plasma, you must be a healthy individual. Donors are screened for health problems that would put them at risk for serious complications from donors. If you are healthy enough to donate, your immune system is not affected. First-time donors, teenagers, and women are at a higher risk of a reaction. Donating plasma is a very safe procedure with minimal or no side effects.The body replaces the plasma removed during the donation process quickly. Current FDA Regulations state that the maximum frequency of donation is once in two days, and no more than two times in a seven day period. Possible side effects that can occur during donation include dizziness, fainting, nausea, convulsions, and shock. At the site of the needle stick, there may be blood leakage around the vein or bruising. It is important that you eat well and re-hydrate during this process. You can read more about this through this link: http://www.biolifeplasma.com/en/donating-plasma/faq.html

Take care and regards.
I am considering donating plasma, but I am concerned with the anti coagulating solution, or drug with which the rest of the blood is mixed.  I have lower blood pressure (106/71) and I have concerns about my blood getting too thin, and not coagulating well.  
-Karen
Would anything serious happen to someone if they donated plasma 3 times a week every week?
I made the mistake of donating more than twice a week.  I got away with it because I lived in two states.  After giving plasma (whether 2, 3 or 4 times a week) I would always be extremely tired and run down.  

My rational behind this, while in retrospect I believe to be flawed, was that the FDA says once every 2 days.  And I believe they must build a significant safety factor into that.  I am a VERY healthy person, low body fat, good nutrition, never had a disease or major illness and I work out regularly.  Add to this the fact that they check you to see if your hematocrit and protein levels are acceptable, I figured that if there was a problem, they'd spot it and not allow me to give.

Then it go much worse!  After doing this for only 3 weeks, I started getting a sore throat.  No virus according to the doctors who checked me for flu and strep.  The a sinus infection began over 10 days ago.  It has progressively gotten worse and worse.  Now my body feels perpetually run down.  I'm so exhausted that some days I don't want to even move.

But worst of all, my tongue, lips and all over the inside of my mouth is swelling and covered with canker sores, lesions and painful spots.  I've been on a liquid diet for 3 days now because I can no longer chew solid food.  I don't have strep but have had a blisteringly sore throat now for over 10 days.

After talking to two doctors and the medical director at one of the centers, I believe that I encountered a simple sinus infection, but because I had depleted so much of the white blood cells during these procedures, I no longer have what I need to fight a simple infection.

To say the least, I've stopped giving plasma.  This is all very anecdotal to be sure, but giving plasma is the ONLY thing that has changed.  

It is very curious that they tell you that dizziness and nausea are about the only side effects when you go to all the plasma center web sites, and even general medical sites.  But they also won't allow you to give if you are sick, stating that you need your blood to help fight infections and healing.

I would caution everyone, don't give more than twice a week.  Trust me, your body will rebel if you do!  Doesn't matter how good of shape you are in.  And if you are in any way immuno compromised, DO NOT GIVE AT ALL.  Giving seriously depletes you of important goodies your body needs to fight infections.

If my theory is correct, now that I have quit giving (3 days ago), we'll see how quickly I bounce back and pray my stupidity didn't cause any permanent damage.  So much for Type A personalities!

Keith
I started giving plasma about six months ago. Over that period I've gotten at least four, probably five colds. Before donating I would get two or three a year. After learning in physiology a couple weeks ago that plasma makes antibodies, I became convinced this is the reason why I'm getting sick. I always got sick shortly after giving twice a week, too. No more donating for me. It's not worth getting paid to get sick!
Can donating plasma cause swollen legs and ankles?
I started donating because my husband and I had just moved and neither of us had a job...he couldn't donate due to allergies but I was as healthy as can be.  I started to go twice a week because they pay better the second time in a week you go in.  Each time wiped me out no matter how much I drank or ate.
Then because they train the people there, I got poked too far (they hit my vein but kept going) and my arm hurt for weeks.  I was always nauseous, and I kept getting sick so I went down to once a week.  That didn't even help.  
Luckily we both got jobs quickly.  I haven't been back since.  If you are looking into donating that's great there are a lot of things that can come of it...just don't wear yourself down to much in the process because like skubrick said the money isn't worth someone getting sick.
My fiance is currently donating twice a week and its starting to irritate me because he's constantly getting sick and running a 103 fever. He thinks its because the house he lives in barely has money to get food. I think that could be part of the problem but i think its more the fact that he's donating plasma twice a week on top of having emphysema and asthma. I want to tell him to quit going but i dont want to sound like a b*tch. i just wish he'd stop doin that and actually get out and look for a job.

Mackenzie
I have donated plasma on a 2 times a week basis for over a month now and sparatically for the past year; the only side effect I've ever show is lightheadedness and soreness around the puncture site. I believe the side effects are different for each person. Whenever you take something out of the body or put something in it everyone can react differently.
After reading all these and doing some research, I think donating plasma is the reason why I feel like I have fever the whole time. I feel my eyes are burning... like when you have a fever. I always feel weak and I easily get tired. Now I started having pain in my middle ear like when you have an ear infection or inflammation. I'm thinking maybe it's because my anti-bodies are low and my body could not fight simple bacteria or cold or whatever that it causes my ear infection. I'm not positive if I have an ear infection/inflammation but most likely it is or it's just starting. It is painful and I never had this before. When I searched for ear problems, most causes of ear pain is infection/inflammation due to colds etc. So, I think I need a break from this or stop it because it's causing weird things in my body.
It is so true. I am never giving plasma ever.
I've been donating plasma for 6 months now. There's a reason they only let you donate 2 times a week, so your body can recover. They ask you every time if you're feeling ill at all, and will not let you donate if you do. I make sure I'm feeling my best every time I donate so I don't get sick. I'm an elementary teacher, exposed to germs every day, so I think if my immune system was really that depleated, I would get sick pretty quickly. So far, it's been a positive experiance and I would not discourage other healthy people from giving plasma.
I have been donating for 4 weeks now and I always have the weird taste in my mouth during donation but it always goes away as soon as I am done donating. The issue I have is I have weird aches for a day or so after I donate. My teeth ache sometimes and my joints. I have looked at several web sites that have no info on the side effects to the bones or joints. I wonder if there is something that is depleated that can cause the aching. I have also been having numbness and nerve pain in my hands like I did when I had carpul tunnel. I had the carpul tunnel repaired but seem to be experiencing trouble again. I wonder if any of this is due to donating?
I am a college student and for extra gas money to get back and forth I donate Plasma. Started about 4 months ago, the first time i felt tired but the next couple of times I felt just fine. Then about two months ago I got really sick and had gotten strep throat for the first time in my life. I follow the rules by donating every two days and then I took a couple weeks off from donating at all. I recently just donated again and i feel terrible my whole body hurts my throat is killing me and I think I've contracted strep. throat once again. Not saying its a bad thing to do because your helping save life's but everyone should consider there own health as well.

2012 grad.
I am having similar problems, i am very healthy and i only donate twice a week or less i have had 3 infections sinisitis and bronchitis all in a 2 week period of time. I have never been this sick or had this many problems at once and the only thing that has changed is that i have been donating i just started 2 weeks ago :/
I came here because i wondered if donating plasma lowers your immune system. I have a good record for not taking antibiotics because it's important to me for my body to heal itself as much as possible. I don't take fever reducer immediately because the fever serves a purpose. I don't ever want to be dependent on medicine in order to be well. I want my body to do what it naturally does. I donate regularly, twice a week and the donation site has become extremely painful. I was stabbed in the bicep and it won't heal. It's bruised to hell and back. Then I used the other arm and that hurts like hell. This is after about a year of donating. It all just started happening, problems after problems. So both elbows hurt so much so that i woke up screaming in my sleep. I have only done that one other time in my life and that was because i got a charlie horse while sleeping. I don't have any health problems but now i'm tired allllll the time. RIDICULOUSLY lethargic. And my throat stings really bad. I basically feel like complete crap. I plan never to donate again. I feel like i need antibiotics now and that pisses me off.
Blood plasma is about 92 percent water with 6.5 percent proteins. The remaining components are 0.8 percent salts, 0.6 percent lipids and 0.1 percent glucose.

Drink plenty of water and eat healthy and all effects will be short term.  If you have any medical problems like asthma, chest pains, etc, you may not want to donate.  Tell them what health problems you have before you donate.  They don't take your white blood cells, so your immune system will not be harmed (unless you don't drink enough water).  I have been donating for almost a month and I do have a cold right now, but a lot of people on the bus looked sick, so I can't blame donations.  I actually started exercising about 3 weeks ago and have put on a good amount of muscle already.

I can't stress this more.  Eat 1 extra meal per donation and drink plenty of water (or Gatoraide).  I have no lost energy nor do I have any problems.  JUST EAT AND DRINK!!!
I was also wondering this.  The same thing happens to me.  After donating for a few months, my legs and ankles swelled so bad that I was hospitalized.  After I stopped donating for awhile, the swelling went almost completely away.  Now I am donating again.  And the same thing is happening.  No one seems to know why this is happening.  If I keep donating, I will end up in the hospital for sure.
Hi--
I've been donating twice a week for several months and the severe ankle swelling is happening to me. It's been  a week since I stopped donating and the swelling is better, but still present. I have also developed an itchy rash that started at my feet and is traveling up my body. Did you have a rash? May I ask how they treated your swelling? I know it is from protein deficiency, so I've been eating lots of protein but I'm wondering what else may help. The rash is so itchy it keeps me awake at night.
I donated plasma for the first time today at 11am. I was almost done when it started to beep and then I realized I was very dizzy, very hot and sweaty and felt sick. It has been over 12 hours since I donated and I have eaten twice, drank oj and tons of water. I still feel very sick and soar. Why? And how do I feel better?
For anyone that is contemplating the donation of plasma, this is not the place to be.  Every one of these people are conveying a problem, which is not the case.  I am a 52 year old, female, slightly over weight, sit at a desk all day on a high pressure project manager job, donate twice per week, have been for 2.5 years and yes.  The procedure makes me a bit tired for a bit after, but as long as I drink plenty of water I can easily finish out the day and the household chores.  I have a very busy life and have come to look at it as my down time.  Twice per week I have an hour to completely engulf into a good book with not interruptions.
Don't listen to Laurie...you CAN be a healthy individual and get sick just by donating plasma. I'm 21 - picture of health, never gotten sick since the fifth grade. Since I've been donating for, oh about 8 months or so, I've been constantly sick.

Cough, fever, itching/burning eyes, trouble breathing, lethargy - you name it, I've got it. Again, I had never had any of these before donating plasma long-term.

Think about it: nothing in life is free. You're selling your health, and putting your body in the hands of poorly trained assistants, for $60 a week. Plasma donation effects everyone differently, and a lucky few may not get sick. But in the end, the cost to your body just isn't worth it.
I have been donating for over a year now, going twice a week.  Both my lower legs and ankles are extremely swollen and I'm so flippin tired all the time and now have noticed that my hands are swelling too.  I have gained weight like crazy but if I donated on Tuesday and then went back Thursday I would have gained 6 pounds of fluid. I'm going to quit donating and try to get healthy again!!! Good luck to you!!
Can donating plasma cause heart problems? Ever since I went to donate three days ago I have had baaaad constipation that has finaly been taken care of and now I'm havin bad anxiety issues and my chest hurts right where the heart is. It still hurts pretty bad
I gave plasma yesterday. It was my first time. I have not felt well. No energy, my throat fill irritated and I started a cough will giving. They say one has to give twice for it to be helpful to someone but I just don't know about going back.
I have been donating plasma for over 3 years now , i have had a few bad days as far as donating , couldnt because temp was too low or my hermatic level to low , but other than that being my issue i dont see myself getting sicker any more often then normal , i do know if i am coming down with something its better i take a break from donating in order to recover faster.
Laurie is correct. If you drink plenty of water and have a protein based snack before you donate, you will be fine. I am an avid plasma donor and the only real side effect I have had is lightheadedness every once in a while
I'm broken out in hives..... not unbearable, but bad enough it wakes me up at night. Plan to buy some benadryl to help the itching....

I have chronic Hep B, with a high viral load..... otherwise healthy. A specialty company that  searches for hep B patients sought me out to donate, as the use my plasma for test kits to train healthcare providers how to read test results...... It's a good thing, but here's the deal....... I GET $400.00 per donation... yes four hundred dollars, US currency........... I'm a single parent that works 7 days a week at two jobs, and i made $ 800.00 last week, but now covered in hives.......... I have a dilemma. For that kind of money, I can live with itchy skin, as long as I'm not further damaging myself.....

Thinking once a week might be best.... I'll try that for a while and see if that is any better.

I can only donate until my viral load goes down, as i'm currently on meds for that, so I'm going to ride this train while I can, perhaps a few months, i'm just hoping I'm not wreaking myself........
I have been looking up about teeth too. My teeth feel like they are numb and loose and going to fall out after I donate. It isn't every time but almost. Hmmm hit me up if you hear or see anything please. my email is ***@****
I donate frequently and low blood pressure will prevent you from donating. They are very particular about who donates and simple things will keep you from donating that day including blood pressure, iron and protein levels, and even temperature.
I have got a cold after only donating twice. I've decided after I go a couple more times I probably won't go anymore if I keep getting sick. Sick such as sore throat, sore ears, and spitting up stuff (& I'm convinced it wasn't just any normal cold) I don't know but we'll see after I donate a couple more times! I just find it funny that I have not been sick in a while but I was quick to get sick in as little as a week after donating PLASMA twice in one week. & yes I admit I donate for the money at the moment. But if I have to be sick to get money, I'll be broke the rest of my life! I wanted to help save lives but I can't put mine in danger doing so.  As far as the csl plasma center I went to, they were great and very clean. However there was a problem my second visit regarding the needle slipping out of my vein (which was due to it not being put in my arm right) they wiggled it around trying to find my vein again and still could not fix it. They ended up resticking me in my other arm and then there machine clotted my blood so it wasn't flowing properly so my session got cut short but I was one cycle away from being finished so I still got paid the money for the amount of plasma that was suitable for my weight. Oh what a day, I was donating for well over two hours (this doesn't include checking in and being checked
by a nurse.  Make sure you drink lots of water the day before you go, it's proven to make you session easier and make your blood flow faster so that your not in there forever!  Oh and one more thing, make sure you don't drink more than one glass of water the day you go. I was in session for atleast 45mins and as I was reading a book trying to take my mind off the fact that I really had to urinate, it was like everything slowed down and the time dragged by. I was so ready to get done so I could go visit the little lady's room!
-Knoxville, TN
Low body fat is your problem, you need a healthy amount of saturated fat in your diet and THE "BAD" kind of cholesterol, which isn't bad at all. You need vitamin c to protect you from it clogging your heart, that "bad" cholesterol prevents poisoning from bacteria and infection from viruses. See Weston D. Price and look up cholesterol myth too.

Can donating plasma cause permanent bruises in you arms??
Donating plasma will not cause a cold.  Germs and viruses cause colds.  Being in a largely occupied building with constantly changing people greatly increases your chances of picking up a cold or virus.  Unless they clean the whole building with bleach every hour, there will always be airbourne molecules.  Frequent hand washing and covering your face when coughing or sneezing will reduce your chances.  Proper diet and hydration is also key.  People say that they are healthy, but most don't properly analysis themselves.  Proper exercise, drinking over 100oz of water a day, eating over 25g of protein, and consuminig over 2000 calories per day for women/ 2500 for men will reduce any likelihood that you will have any side effects from plasma donation.

Another factor not mentioned is the insertion length of the needle stick.  If the needle is inserted too deep, it can restrict blood flow and cause the vein and artery to work harder which can cause fatigue and passing out.  The blood should flow with little hand pumping to the machine.  If you have a constant need to pump your fist to keep pressuse, then the needle is too deep or your veins and artery can't keep up.  Poor circulation and/or lack of exercise are common causes other than depth of the needle.
I have been donating whole blood; plasma; and platelets fairly regularly since I was 18 and two friends nearly died in a car wreck. I learned then how important it is to donate to those sick or undergoing treatment. I am now 57 so from experience to say giving donations will weaken your immune system are misstatements and not scientifically supported. If you are donating plasma  twice a week for money, find a job. Once a week is okay but you risk dehydration donating that often. To all those who donate, on behalf of those sick and in true need, thank-you! What you do is truly life saving! To everyone else please quit scaring people unnecessarily. If it's not for you, fine. Volunteer at a shelter or food-bank but please do not discourage people from giving. One day it maybe you who is in need.      
Nobody is discouraging.It is just obvious you are taking from your body what it needs to ward off getting sick and infection.ImYou can still be healthy and wind up sick after donating.I have been eating well, hydrated, active and dont smoke.I dinated twice a week for a month.I never get sick but now i have a rash on my side and my little toe is as big as my big toe.I am in exrreme pain and just got out of the e.r.If you are planning to donate, I wouldnt go twice a week.Im paying the price.Your body needs what is being taken out..
Worst case scenario that y'all are getting sick because of all the sick people that go in there saying they are healthy. When in actuality they are immediately smoking and drinking once they leave the plasma center. Drinking too much alcohol and smoking lowers your immune system so they come back sneezing and coughing all over the place. They in turn get the technicians sick and then they sneeze all over the place and your immune system is weak so POW - You get sick. Second case is some of y'all don't wash your hands before eating, eat healthy diets or get adequate amounts of rest and recovery. Exercise, eat clean and drink aquafina. Minimize alcohol intake and try to cut out the sugars then you should be ok.
I too have experienced swelling of my feet and ankles. I quit donating after my last session because not only did my feet and ankles swell but my whole body did and it's been about a week since I donated and the swelling has reduced down to just being my feet and ankles. It's been a slow healing process. The donation place tried to say it had to be something I'm doing or not doing. I beg to differ because I was completely healthy, eat organic, only drink water(lots) before I donated. Needless to say, I won't be donating anytime soon.
I've recently experienced exactly what you mention:
the swelling may be due to the salt water saline solution they use to replace your plasma. I can feel the puffiness in my face from it immediately after donating.
Anyone else get a weird, random rash on their arm or arms at the site they drew plasma from? I had decided to quit donating about 6 months ago and didn't really have any side-effects from it. Except now, I have a few bumps that have risen around the area where they poked me to draw my plasma and they're red and itchy. I am quite concerned considering I have  not been in so many months. If they don't go away within the next few days I will definitely be having some blood tests done. I am just curious if anyone else has had the same thing. (I did donate regularly, twice a week, for about a year).
This is troubling: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8053039

Abstract
BACKGROUND:

The possible effects of long-term plasma donation remain unknown, but it is important to investigate them so that donor safety is ensured. The purpose of this study was to determine if long-term plasma donation alters plasma proteins or lymphocyte phenotypes.
STUDY DESIGN AND METHODS:

Two groups of long-term plasma donors, source plasma donors (n = 20) and Rh immune globulin plasma donors (n = 26), were compared with whole blood donors (n = 29) and nondonor controls (n = 30). Blood samples were obtained prior to donation. Serum protein, albumin, globulin, and immunoglobulin levels were determined. In an assay using whole blood, lymphocyte phenotypes were characterized with a panel of single- and dual-labeled monoclonal antibodies and subsequent analysis by flow cytometry.
RESULTS:

As compared to the nondonor controls and/or whole blood donors, the mean values for serum protein, globulin, and IgG levels were lower in both plasma donor groups, with a significant negative correlation between donation frequency and serum protein values for the source plasma donors. Albumin levels were within normal ranges for both groups of plasma donors. No significant differences existed among the donor groups in total white cell counts, the percentage or absolute number of lymphocytes, T (CD3) cells, or helper T (CD4) cells. However, there were increased percentages of B (CD19) cells and decreased percentages of suppressor T (CD8+/CD11b+) cells and natural killer cells in both groups of plasma donors as compared to nondonor controls.
CONCLUSION:

Many plasma donors have low levels of serum protein, globulin, and IgG. In addition, they have increased percentages of B cells and decreased percentages of suppressor T and natural killer cells. The clinical significance of these findings warrants further investigation.
More troubling: overseas you can only donate plasma twice every thirty days. Who wants to make a bet it's because they know something the FDA doesn't want us to? Perhaps that it isn't inherently safe to donate at such a high frequency of 6-8 times per month, contionously. With how much $$$ phara makes (over $1,000 per bottle), it makes complete sense this research went highly unnoticed. One has to worry about the longterm effects of reduced suppressor T cells and natural killer cells - the impacts of which could be far-reaching such as autoimmune disorders to cancer. All for the instant gratification of $25.
I have been donating plasma off and on for a while, I have been going twice a week for over two months as they added bonus money for coming in. I am now experienced a swelling in my lower legs and feet. I have never had this before and my roommate who does not get saline, has it Too. So it must be something to do with the donating the plasma.
The swelling is from lack of protein patients in the hospital that need immediate swelling taken down ie ascites, (that would be abdominal not peripheral but the same concept really) we give them albumen which is a protein and it pulls the fluid out of the interstitial spaces and back into the blood. . And yes reducing your suppressor cells and helper T cells and Igm is why we are getting sick. It makes me wonder why they are so concerned with your exposure to high risk?  My God this system will make you high risk. Think about it your more susceptible to infections you can no longer fight off or suppress due to the reduction of your much needed immune system. What ever you were exposed to and your body may have been fighting off fine, you may now expose  your self to and find your self with strep, thrush, EBV, aids! I bet long term donors are high risk for cancer our suppressor cells keeping that at bay in healthy individuals. Those  bastards check your protein and your hematacrit (red blood cells) each week but they never check your white blood cells or differential of them, components that they are also pulling out. Curious isn't it. I mean you know most of your red blood cells are going back in right, and increase consumption of protein will increase the amount in your blood but they glance past this other crucial element in your body.  Why??? That's my question in fact it isn't even brought up as a potential side effect yet I got sick right after the first two times as well the evidence is here in each persons testimony. My final question is why are they using lay people as medical staff?  They receive their training from the company. They have no former education all they know is what they are told,  and I seriously doubt they would employ someone with half a brain that might tell you the f'n truth. I'm agreeing with the other countries you probably shouldn't go past two times a month. Although other countries have drugs that CURE cancer and we refuse to use them in  our country so what the hell do they know right?
I have noticed swelling in ankles after donating for a couple of months; however, it could also be from my diet, or my weight, or my age, or a recent reinjury of a torn tendon in my ankle (but why both ankles, then?). The swelling goes down when I eat healthy and am active. In addition, the swelling started when I reinjured a torn tendon in my ankle. There could be lots of contributing factors, but I am still working on figuring out which it is for me. I am betting it is my weight and diet so am working on those before I blame donating plasma. My ankle doctor did do heart and kidney tests to rule out any worries there, so if you haven't already, consult with your doctor.
I donate because I naturally have the Anti-D, which helps make a drug (I wish I could have had when I was pregnant) that saves babies. In some women, their anti-bodies will attack the baby's blood if it is different than their own blood. The Anti-D prevents women from making these antibodies, because once made, you can never get rid of them (I know!). In one of my pregnancies, in order to save the baby, they experimented by doing plasmapheresis, which is what donating plasma is. They removed as many as my antibodies as they safely could, since they were attacking my baby's blood. After the plasmapheresis, my body said, 'Hey, what's going on here - I am low on antibodies!' and went into overdrive to catch up and I actually had more than when I started (even though immune globulin was used to reduce that effect). My thinking is that when, at least my body recognizes its antibodies are low, it will put the pedal to the metal and get the number of antibodies back up to fight whatever it thinks it needs to fight. Maybe it depends on how well your immune system is running and it might be different with each person. As a side-note, I came to this site to see what I could find on the subject, since I have had a very bad winter with sinusitis and now pneumonia - which I've never had. Last winter was bad, too, but I hadn't started donating then, either. What had changed is that my grandchildren came to live with me and my doctor says, without contest, that for the first two years, I will get everything they bring home - whether they get it or not, until my immune system is up to date with the latest stuff going around day cares, etc. Hope this helps someone.
Why does my throat hurt after donating blood plasma