Allergy Community
drug allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

drug allergy

I woke up this morning to a drug allergy, nasal passage closed and face swelling. After self treating all day every 4 hours with benadryl and flushing with cranberry juice, per doctors orders, I still have some face swelling and nasal passage still has not opened completely. Should I be worried?
You should be heading to the ER.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The swelling could be due to angioedema. This is swelling of the deeper layers of the skin due to an allergic reaction. The reaction occurs more commonly on the face around the lips and near the eyes. Therapy lies in identifying the allergens and avoiding them and anti histamines. If the present anti histamines are not very effective you can consult your doctor for long acting ones.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.