Allergy Community
drug reaction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

drug reaction

Hello, I used to take soma for back spazems.As of two yr ago I can no longer take them.
The reason being they now make me itch to the point of insanity.What could be causing this?
What you are experiencing is an allergic re-action to the drug.Drugs (any drug can touch off an allergic reaction) are acommon cause of urticaria.
In doctor speak, hives are known as "urticaria."Hives are red, itchy welts or swellings on the skin that often come in clusters.Hives can appear anywhere on the body, cropping up either in one small area or covering large patches of skin. They most often occur as part of an allergic reaction. No one lesion lasts more than 24 hours, but new ones may continue to appear until the condition resolves.
Hives that have a sudden onset and spread quickly after you've taken a medication mean that you've probably developed an allergy to that drug. Stop taking it and call your doctor to ask for a suitable substitute to treat your condition.
You can take an over-the-counter antihistamine such as Benadryl to reduce the allergic response.To soothe itchy skin, try cold compresses, calamine lotion, a cool shower, or a tepid bath with a few tablespoons of cornstarch (the kind sold in drugstores) thrown in.REF:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/hivestreatment