Allergy Community
dry red sore itchy bumpy under eye skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Viewing 201-255 comments:
I was also suffering from a similar problem recently - a red blotchy place under my left eye, with a dry scaly patch in it. Not itchy as many are here... but I thought I would post my solution in case it could be of help to any of you. My problem arose while we were back in the United States for a couple of months. Now we have returned to Costa Rica. I went to the local Macrobiotica (organic) store and in my broken Spanish explained my problem. The young woman offered me a few options at my request, most of which I had seen on this forum: aloe vera, shea butter, etc. But then she brought out a product called Gel Krisme Refrescante which she seemed to recommend highly, so that's what I bought. Within two days, the red spot was greatly reduced and the scaly patch was completely gone. One of the active ingredients is, oddly enough, extract of carrots (zanahoria)! And the gel is quite orange in color... other ingredients are unfamilar to me (perhaps due to the Spanish): carbopol, thietanolamina, sabila fresca, berengena. If you can find something with these ingredients, perhaps it will help some of you too. Good luck! I'm thrilled with my results...
Avatar n tn
sabila fresca = fresh aloe
hi, do you know of any stores or sites that sell the product, Gel Krisme Refrescante. i tried searching online and havent come across anything. i have the same problem and have hope that this product may help..please advise..thank you
Avatar n tn
I had same problem as in first post.  I stopped wearing make up and problem didn't clear up.  I then stopped using anything on my face at all and it got better.  Then when my skin felt dry one day I used Aveda Hydrating Lotion, which I had used for 8 years' and BANG that was it.

I have been in touch with Aveda and they confirm formula has changed.

Hope this may help others here.
I have had same problem for over 5 years. I also tried eliminating everything.
I use Aquaphor and Nivea and I wear DHC Concentrated Eye Cream as a base before makeup. I try to stay away from eyeshadows. I get away with using eye concealer, eyeliner and mascara.
Also I have better luck managing the skin scaling problem by using distilled water instead of tap water (which has chlorine) when washing my face. The chlorine seems to dry and aggravate.
I also wash my hands frequently because I have a cat that I pet and I think that the dander may be a cause or a trigger.
If I scratch my cat, I wash my hands before applying makeup, etc. I'm left handed so I use my right hand to scratch the cat. Use left hand to apply lotion, makeup to face, etc. :0)
Cold weather and winds, tears and sweat seem to aggravate.
If I apply a lotion and stinging occurs, if I don't remove it right away, scaling is triggered.
I use hydrocortizone cream with aquaphor only if there is itching.
Hope this also helps.
I sometimes get itchy dry ski on my eyelids and under my eyes, a mild hydrocortisone helps relieve temporarily. I also suffer from dermatitis, eczema and recently weird dry rough patches all over my body. The one thing I've found that got rid of it was a homeopathic tonic made up by a naturopath friend if mine. I don't know what's in it and it tastes nasty but after taking 24ml a day for about 3-4 weeks my eczema was gone as were the dry patches and even no more hayfever! After stopping the tonic I have had dermatitis come back a bit so may need some more but apparently it can cure it. it treats you through your gut as opposed to topically which can just suppress the symptoms. I would definitely recommend a naturopath!
Avatar n tn
I've suffered with an under eye skin rash condition for over 7 years. What I would get is a vertical "slash like" rash that starts out from under the outer corner of my eye and descends down onto my cheekbone. It looks like I got in a bad fight with a big cat but it's just bumpy irritated rash that eventually flakes and scabs. No luck with lotions and medications. But the one thing that did help it significantly was YOGURT.. I take all natural plain yogurt (NOT fat free) and every night after a shower, I'd apply a good spoonful to my face like a mask. It is instantly cooling, better than aloe and other things because its been refrigerated. I leave it on for like 10 mins then wash off. You can instantly see the redness go away. I do this twice a day, sometimes more just because it feels so good on my skin and calms it. I've done it to a rash on my leg and it works too. If your condition is something where a mask can be applied, try all natural plain yogurt!
I had the same problem with the red, dry, scaly patches under my eyes. I tried new make-up, no make-up, new contact lenses, no contact lenses. When I used hydrocortisone, it came back when I stopped using the cream. Tea tree oil burned like a son of a gun and cleared it up for a few months, but it came back. A dermatologist said it was atopic dermatits. Then I noticed many of my skin care products, as well as my shampoo and conditioner had wheat protein in them. I am not allergic to wheat (I eat it with no problem), but since I've started using products without the wheat protein, I have not had a problem.
I have been googling my red itchy spots online, mine start out red an a bit raised then change to dry raised itchy spots only on my right eye. I to enjoy my spirits n carbs ;) for the love of life I hope it has nothing to do with either. I have found info regarding facial yeast infections caused from face scrubbing and or new soaps. I ma going to try the remedies such as; yogurt and cider vinegar. My spots are both near the top of my eye n right underneath in the corners, no discharge or infection in the eye. I will post if the yogurt or cider vinegar works. -  
I'm just posting on here because I had the same problem for a few months and hopefully might help other ppl. I started with a sore bit under my left eye that felt like a cut, this moved to itchy skin which got worse to the point where all skin on my eyelid and under my eye was so itchy it was unbearable and the eye swelled up like a prizefighter. The skin became so sore and red, it looked exactly like I'd had laser resurfacing, and was scaly and flaky and felt like sandpaper. Every time it seemed to get better it would relapse and blow up again and the skin was red raw and developed terrible crows feet under the left eye. I did everything, changed makeup, detergent, took off nail varnish etc., nothing worked. In particular, virtually EVERYTHING I put on burned including Sudocrem. Then the other eye started itching and got sore patches, nightmare! I also had some similar patches of skin between 2 fingers, so I assumed it was a bacterial thing (I have no history of eczema or sensitive skin).

What I did: I started taking extra strong garlic tablets to fight the infection internally. I cleaned the eyes thoroughly every night (using baby shampoo) and put on a thin layer of Dettol antibacterial moisturising cream - I swear by it especially for spots, it's available at the chemist or supermarket. Then I put on a layer of Bio Oil and finally Vaseline to keep it all soothed and moisturised. The Bio Oil worked wonders for the dry skin and in particular the dry flakes. This all helped a lot, however what's really moved things on is using my friend's home made ointment made of beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil. My eyes do try to itch a tiny bit still but the skin is 99% normal and the crows feet have virtually gone (yay!) so don't panic if you have them too, it's just the dryness and swelling. I'm also using all my old makeup again. I really think this is an infection, especially as mine started between my fingers and the Dettol seems to have fought it off. If you have real problems with flaky skin, do get some Bio Oil because it was fantastic - especially in the morning when I had flakes everywhere and important meetings to go to! x
I had a very similar problem- it just seemed to spring up over night! Red dry itchy skin all around my eyes, but particularly over the eye just beneath my eyebrows. Caneston cream helped a little but did not seem to "heal" it, just relieved the symptoms. I tried vaseline too but found that made it more itchy! Tried lots of eczema creams to no effect also. First couple of times i went to the doctor about it, he just said moisturise and was reluctant to give me anything for it. However he prescribed lotriderm cream for my finger which had a similar patch of red skin- I think it is similar to anti fungal but also contains stronger ingredients and anti bacterial (so you have to be really careful using on the face). I used that for about 2 weeks and it cleared up- important thing i think though is to keep using it for a few days after it clears to ensure it is properly treated. There is a caneston with H45 available over the counter which i believe is very similar to the prescribed one i used- I used this for about 6 months and it did help a lot- just did not seem strong enough to get rid of it properly. It may be worth a try though for some people- we are all going to react slightly differently to each treatment.

I think mine spread from my fingers to my face. My boyfriend goes to the gym a lot and picked up a fungal infection on his hand from the equipment, spread it to my hand through contact and I somehow spread it onto my face. Whatever it is i think it is fairly resistant as I compulsively use anti bacterial hand gels!  I took me nearly 2 years to get it under control, but i have not hand a proper flare up for a few months now. Every now and then it comes back for a day- normally if i have had too much to drink the night before! I do suffer from quite severe eczema normally however, so it may be why i struggled to get rid of it for so long- I have incredibly sensitive skin!

If it is very painful, try using calendula cream. It is not going to heal it, but it is very soothing. I found I could not use many things as they all stung too much, calendula however was one of the few that helped.

I was recommended to use aqueous cream by some- however there has been studies lately that suggest it should not be used as a moisturiser (only as a shower wash alternative). In any case, it did not help me at the time so i stopped using it.  

Hope this might help someone suffering with the same thing!
Anti-bacterial won't prevent fungal infections and can lead to worse bacterial infections as it kills all the "good" bacteria that fights off those worse guys.  Which is why an epidemic of super bugs is starting.

I do think you're right though - it does seem totally fungal and spread from our hands.   I wouldn't always use soap that close to my eyes but now I do.

First - I am so glad that I googled this and actually found folks with the same type of issue/concern and your comments. I woke up this past Easter with my left eye completely swollen from brow to under eye area and red itchy patch on my eye lid. Took weeks to go away as I had no idea what was going on. Around Mother's Day with both eyes swollen, itchy red on my eye lids and it looked like I suddenly aged overnight with my eye skin above my lid drooping. Like I almost needed a procedure to remove this. I have had flare ups ever since - 6 months later. It got so bad 2 months ago it went into my eyes and blurred my vision & I continued to swell up throughout the day. So I left work, went to Urgent Care (which I just finally paid off) & was treated for Blepharitis & given a antibiotic drop for inside my eye & did the baby shampoo, warm compresses etc. that some of you have mentioned. After another flare up, I went back to my regular Dr. just to be told that I should see a Opthamologis. I declined and asked for the antibiotic drop as it helped. Now here I am again - I look like I'm very old - saggy, wrinkly eyes, swollen, itchy, etc.
Let me begin by saying I have always had terrific skin care (I am 53) & have been using Lancome products for many years now for skin care and beauty products. I use DHC Olive Oil to cleanse makeup, etc. off first before evening regimen. I honestly have been told I look like I could be my Grandson's (9 yrs) mother. I have had no "new" products added, no new pets, no eczema, etc. I have year round rhinitis which I have treated for many years with Flonase, Allegra. We do have a purifier in the house running at all times.  Bear with me - trying to piece your symptoms/causes with mine.  Other than obvious menopause as something "new" added to my life, perhaps some added stress (which is nothing new).  I do not drink often - but when I do wine is my preferred beverage.
I have done what most of you have - eliminating products 1 at a time to see what may/may not flare it up, used Triaminole ointment (my husband had some for a rash), all that the Dr. suggested.  
I am ready to go to a surgeon to take away my "new" additional eyelids, I do feel very self conscious as I look awful most of the time & is best to NOT wear anything at all on my face for makeup.
I have not changed pillows (they are OLD), have not stopped sugar/carbs totally or caffeine.  I guess I will try the dermacort, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar and raw shea butte, the acidopholus and yogurt ( I do drink milk).
I'd just like to know why suddenly this has happened to me 6 months ago and how to not have it ever occur again and get back to looking like my young "old" self again.
Apple cider vinegar with "the mother" is what saved me!!! I had been dealing with the same ailments you all have listed for 2 months. I went to the doctor the first week and I was told it was contact dermatitis and/or eczema caused by a product irritation. I was given a hydrocortisone cream and that helped, but once I stopped using it, it came back. I switched EVERYTHING trying to figure out what could be causing this. Finally I started googling and came across the idea of ACV. I started using it straight, on a cotton ball after washing my face morning and night. It burned and smelt horrible, but seemed to be working. The itch subsided the only thing was it was still real red. I then started to wonder if it was helping and also hurting since the burn was so strong. So, I made a mix of 50/50 distilled water and AVC, dab that on with a cotton ball and let air dry before applying eucerin creme. Redness-gone! Itching- gone! There is minimal flaking and the large red patch I had on the corner of my right eye is gone! Only had started the ACV a week ago today, and have looked and felt the best I have in 2 months!! I hope this helps anyone that is dealing with this, it may not work for everyone, but if I can help one other person that's worth posting!
Avatar n tn
I've posted on here before about my red, itchy around the eye problem.  Well, it had started to become unbearable, almost torture, again.  Anything I put below my eyes on the swollen red skin was very painful and it itched like crazy.  I put antibiotic creams, anti-fungal creams, several cortisone creams, various moisturizers- anything I could find with no success.  Then I saw the Tea Tree Oil recommendations.  I went to a health food store and got some two days ago.  I was so desperate I on it under my eyes driving home.  It stung like a son of a gun but I let it stay on.  What an improvement!  The next day it was much improved- maybe a bit swollen and slightly pink- but so much better!  Today, after applying it several times yesterday diluted with organic coconut oil, I look like a different person.  There was a bit of dry skin there but after washing my skin with a mild cleanser, that's gone.  I am thrilled!  Of course, can't say whether that will help anyone else but it sure helped me.  Hope it an help someone else.
I'm so glad I found this site! I have been suffering with swollen, puffy, itchy, irritated under eyes for about a month now.
I went to my optometrist and she diagnosed me with "Blepharitis". The eye drops prescribed to me "Pataday" has definitely helped with the the irritation, dryness and swelling I felt inside my eye but, has done nothing to alleviate the swelling, irritation, and dryness on the skin below my lower eye lids. Like other people here, I have lots of long dry lines that look like crows feet under my eyes. I look terrible. Like I aged overnight!

All of the moisturizing eye creams I have tried STING and seem to irritate the skin under my eyes more with each use, including my Philosophy face wash. I have been using a Dove bar and Vaseline as it is the only thing that does not irritate my skin.

I decided to try a few of the suggestions mentioned on here last night.

I used baby shampoo as a face wash (surprisingly I felt no added irritation).
I soaked a q-tip with (diluted) tea tree oil and dabbed it on all of the affected area under my eye. It stung but at the same time I instantly felt relief from the itch. Once dry I used some bio oil to moisturize.

After just one day, the redness turned to a pink (the dry patch I had is gone) and I look so much better. This will continue to be my nightly routine while the irritation occurs.

An esthetician suggested I use Philosophy 369 replenishing oil. I am using along with Vaseline to moisturize in the AM.

I hope this helps someone desperate for relief like me.
I am definately going  to try this i have been experiencing this for the pass 2years and im 37 years old and I look 80 by the eyes. I have very dark circle from rubbing and i'm somone who's self confidence has 10 to 0.  I began getting allery shots in october i was told that it takes 4-6 months before i feel any relief Ive tried every eye drop and steroid cream there is to try so I am open to try anything at this point.
Thank you I'll let ya know how it goes.
Hi. I have the same problem. I am 50 but usually look late 30's, now i look 90! After reading these great post's whilst my eyes were burning! I thought about what else i had in the house! Hahaha... calmine lotion!!!!! I covered all round my eyes, lids, lashes, etc....it burnt for a second, like everything does, but Wow, itching completely went! I have now allowed it to dry and gently added make up....fantastic! I do not think it is a treatment, however if we can stop it inflamming it must be good!
Calamine Lotion!!!! Try it. Blast from the past but it cures itching immediat;ey which in turns stops the irritation which then stops the imflammation! It's great, but not a cure.
Ok Everyone I went to the Bodyshop in the mall you can go online as well to bodyshop.com I purchased the Tea Tree Oil Kit. I must say I havnt had any itchy in 2 days this is great. The ACV works great to but tea tree oil is heaven sent with a aloe moisturizer.
HI UK Angie52805280 here, have been suffering with all of the above symptons posted on this brilliant site for a few months & going crazy. I feel silly for asking but what is the "Mother" when referring to the APV mix?
I think the reference to "Mother" is for non-distilled, organic vinegar.
After months of this problem and looking awful, i tried tee tree oil and it burnt my face so badly!! So by applying calamine lotion at the first sign of itching (you can put on a thin layer that cant be noticed) it stops immediatly. Then at night i soak cotton wool in salt water and lie them over my eyes, salt water is an amazing healer, then i gently rub in coconut oil to stop the dryness.....this works!! It takes about two days to get my eyes back to normal. I took some dated photos to try and put on here, but not sure how to do it, I would have shown you the progression over two days and how well it worked. Please guys try it! I read this site then spent a fortune buying everything that was recommended, nothing worked and infact made it worse. We all have salt in our cupboards and calamine lotion is really cheap!! If anyone wants the photos then email me ***@****
Thank you for your post... I have the same problem and agree with you about the ingredients they are putting in all the 'products' we use in our everyday lives... I'm going to try the Apple Vinegar...
Avatar n tn
As with most on here I am stumped with an itchy, dry, raw and swollen eye area problem. I don't know what is causing it and I don't know how to cure it. I live in San Francisco and when i went to Wisconsin to visit family last summer it started. After traveling back to SF and letting my skin readjust, it went away. It happened again in December when visiting and now I am here in Wisconsin again, with the dry swollen raw and itchy eye area skin.

I use all the same products in both locations. I'm frustrated and stumped. I have been traveling back and forth like this for 7 years. This has only started in the past 6 months. 

Thoughts?
What do you mean you use it with "the mother"?  I'm running out of options for my eyes so any help would be great on what this is.  Thanks, Cheryl
I have the exact same problems and I'm ononly 15 its ugly and embarrasing especially for my age mom said its a allergic reaction but I put some A&D oinment on there that's doesn't work at all I also put coco butter that did no good please help me I kno I'm late but its getting worst
I tried the oil but burned like hell. The best is apple acid vinergar so far. But last week, I decided to mix it with Betnovate (betamethasone 0,1%) which is good medicine for the itching and the redness but it doesn't completly cure it. So far, it works great! I will post in a couple of weeks my results..
  Thanks for sharing your post. Actually my problem started a year ago in may when my area under my left eye started to itch and then became red and starting to peel. I also got discoloration on this spot. I used desonate the topical steroid cream and it all cleared. But it came back in this may right after a year. So I am not sure if it is seasonal or what? My skin regime is the same. Anyone any suggestions pls.....
This thing just started for me.  I got a stye in my right eye that had to be operated on to remove the stye.  Months later, I get this red scaly skin just under my right eye.  Sometimes it gets to my left eye, but not as much.  Itches and burns.  The ophthamologist called it blepharitis and told me to soak it with warm compresses and use AzaSite.  It seemed to work, but as soon as I'm off it, the redness and scaly skin comes back.  Another ophthamologist in the group says to use Lotemax.  That works for awhile too, but as soon as I'm off it, the thing comes back.  The warm compresses seem to do the best thing.  No matter what I take, that seems to take care of it.  Now I'm trying Zaditor in hopes that it is some type of allergy.  I'm going to try taking some Zyrtec too.  I also get some mild flakes of skin of my face.  Does anyone else get that too?    
I think you are right about the fungal part.  Similar story here too...itchy rash , scalp....swollen eyes..etc. Went to several Doctors and they kept telling me that i was alergic (allergic) to 'something'...exactly what they didnt know.  I finally sumbled across a doctor who said that he felt it was fungal.  He gave me a Kenalog shot to calm my reaction to it and then a month of Terbinafine tablets ( one a day  ...same thing as Lamisil).  I am on day 5 and this is my first day in about 7 months of no itching and my eyes actaully look normal!!!!  I know its still early, but this is the first time something appears to be working.  Since day one, doctors would give me Cortizone ointment, which does sooth and reduce swelling, but just temporarily.  My doctor said that the symptoms are alergic (allergic) reactions to the fungus, and that if that is in fact what is going on he said it should be gone by the end of the 30 days.  So my earlier doctors were partially right with the alergic (allergic) reaction part, just didnt know what was causing it.  I will keep you posted on the outcome.  I hope this may help anyone in the same situation...let your doctor know about this.
Check your vitamins and minerals that you take.  I had the red dry skales all around my eyes.  They were itchy.  They would come and go.  I haven't taken my vitamins in 2 weeks.  They are completely gone.  I am going to slowly bring back each vitamin and see which one was causing it.  I will let you know when I find out.
Ditto on all of the above.
I had all of these symptoms 1 year ago and after looking at several posts at the time, someone had mentioned that they had problems with Olay products - which was what I was using. So, I immediately stopped using them, went back to Clinique and tried a variety of the suggestions that had been posted. What worked for me was a combination of the Aveeno eye cream followed by the Clinique 'RepairWear" eye cream, L'Occitaine shea butter facial moisturizer and then finally some vitamin E oil over the top. Sounds like alot I know, but I let each soak in before applying the other and it worked like a charm! I now have it back - started under my right eye and is starting to move to my left. Will try what I did last time and let you know if I have the same success. BTW, first time around I also went to the Dr. who had no idea what it was but told me to take Benadryl to see if it helped - it didn't. This is almost exactly a year from the first flare-up so I really am wondering if it's an alleric reation to something in the air...
I relate to this totally. I have sufferred with excema most of my life at different times. In the last 4 years (since my seperation from my husband), which might or might not hae something to do with it), I have sufferred badly withexcema type redness,swellings and itchy eyes.  It is so distressing as the swelling and lines sometimes almost reach my cheek under my left eye!! I have aged 15 years in the last five and after each breakout, when it clears I seem to be left with more lines and baggy skin from the swellings.  As a youngster my mother was given hydrocorisone creams to smoothe under my eyes, without any warning that these products majorally think the skin, especially in such deliate places, but for all that in my twenties and thirties I was free of lines and looked no different to anyone else my age.  Obviously this problem erodes confidence when I am at a period in my life when I need  more than ever to be able to get on with my life, but when this flares up it normally lasts weeks, and I have tried just everything.  To date after all these years I am no closer to know what the trigger is !  I like a glass of wine, particularly red, and have now read about the sulphites in wine and salt often affect under eye excema sufferrers, so for now I am completely off both.  Infact my diet for the last three weeks has been so so limited I felt I must hae lost lbs in weight. Unfortunately no such luck can you believe!?!  Please if anyone can throw any light on this subject that is literally ruining my life, my looks and inevitably my health I would be so so grateful. Fed Up..
Would loe to see the photos if you could post them to me  ***@**** I really would be grateful. Thank you for your help.
OIL OF OREGANO worked for me.
It stings at first but them feels so much better.
This will kill the fungus
Try it and thank me later
OIL OF OREGANO worked for me.
This will kill the fungus
Try it and thank me later
Hi all, I really feel for all of you. I have had a similar problem for most of 2 years now. From looking perfectly healthy to suddenly waking up this problem around my eyes. Dark, itchy and wrinkly. over the next couple of weeks I looked 10 years older. People around me asked if I was ok or if I had some kind of disease, or why I looked so tired. I have always been a social drinker & smoker. After a few drinks the problem seemed to get worse. Everytime I had whiskey, or wine the next morning was a nightmare. Waking up to see my face in the mirror was catastrophic. I have been to see 5 specialists, from conventional doctors to homeopaths. Most of them mentioned that I had kidney issues, linked to my liver, hence the result after drinking alcohol. But I was not satisfied with their findings. I was told to see what is called a "bodyologist". They run test on your system through a computer which then spits out a list of how your system and organs are doing...

Well, in a nutshell what was found was that I had an excessive amount of "mould" in my system. Yes mould!!  A couple of years ago, we had a flood in our bedroom whereby the floors got wet and damaged, which was when mould started growing under the floor boards. This is extremely toxic and the level of mould in my body was very high. This explained why whenever I had alcohol my eyes became puffy, red, dark, wrinkly & itchy. Alcohol contains mould as it is all fermented to a degree.

I have been on a pro-biotic for 2 months now, and my eyes have cleared completely.  This is a kind of detox which clears my system of all the toxins caused by the mould. I am just back form holiday and I have had a huge amount of alcohol with no effect whatsoever.

I can safely say that I am cured of this dreaded problem, and sincerely hope that this will help anyone of you, as I know what you are going through.

Incidently, I am  a 47 year old male, living in South Africa.

Cheers
Paski
as a person that's suffers from eczema for last 10 years, I'm happy to share a product that's worked wonders for me! for the last few months (been using it religiously for 2 months)  I have been using this cream called Dermikelp and it helps with the dry, itchy skin but also takes the redness away :) nice thing about this product it has no cortizone so there is no nasty side effects, hope this will help others like it has helped me
Hi, everyone.  I've had the same eye problems you all have been having.  Mine has been off and on for the past 4 months.  After reading the posts about manuka honey, I went out to Whole Foods earlier today and will try that tonight.  Thanks so much for this forum and to see I'm not the only one who has this problem.
After two nights of using manuka honey on the skin under my eyes and on the sides of my eyes (with gauze over them) and a couple of times during those two days, my eyes are pretty much cleared up of any redness and bumps. :)
Coming back with a short update.  I haven't been totally consistent with the manuka honey at night, so maybe that's why the inflammation came back with a vengeance this morning.  I am going to try the ACV and go out and get shea butter tomorrow and see how that works.  Thanks, glycerin137, for your post!
The "Mother" is a marketing name that Bragg's uses on their apple cider vinegar (as in "the Mother of all vinegars").
Deedee, I'm wondering if you found any relief. Reading your post, you describe ME and my issues, exactly. Did you find anything that worked for you?
I too have been dealing with this issue but it only happens when I wear makeup.  The only thing I had changed was mascara, so I threw it out & change, well it is still happening each time I wear makeup, it is like it burns my skin under my eyes, I have tried lots of creams nothing really works to keep it from happening again...I also look really old when this happens, it swells with welts& once they go down I look so old & wrinkled.  I have no idea what to do.  I think I will try the oil of oregano & see if it helps.  Good luck to us all
Thank you ladies for making me not feel so alone. I developed the same eye problem just two days ago. Without makeup on I look like an old woman. I am 53 and have always had great skin!
I am going to try some of the ideas shared. Will post when I have some results.
Thank you all!
NOT so! With the "MOTHER" means the original vinegar making bacteria is still alive and in there! The vinegar is not filtered or pasteurized to remove it. Really!
I came on to this forum looking for answers like all of you. I had been using Tretinoin cream with Retin A for about a year without any real side effects except some dry skin here and there. Then something happened. I slowly started to notice that my skin under my eyes was getting really dry. Not flaky, just extremely dry with almost like a tight film on it. One weekend I had been working late, I had been out in the sun a lot of the day and I probably had not drank enough water. I literally woke up one morning with super obvious wrinkles. It seemed like I aged 30 years overnight. So I used lots of moisturizer. Lots. One that had been given to me by my dermatologist. Coconut oil. Aloe vera. It helped a little. But then my right eye had some kind of reaction. Nothing with my actual eye, just the skin underneath. It slowly started to swell and get red and got a rash. I actually think I used too much moisturizer. It was so red and puffy I told people I got hit by a soccer ball and my son's practice. Then when my left eye started doing the same thing, I told people I was having a reaction to sunscreen. Dumb I know, but it was way easier to say than I was embarrassed by my wrinkles and was using too much moisturizer.

Sooooooo...to make a long story short, nothing was helping. Nothing. It stopped using the Tretinoin cream and kept trying different moisturizers. I was on round the clock benadryl which helped with the swelling. It was red for about a week. That is when I started looking for answers and stumbled on this site. And someone mentioned Lysine topical ointment. So I tried it. Along with a little colloidal silver salve for the rash. I started taking the pills as well, 500mg 3x a day. Within a few hours I could see a difference. It has been 3 days and it is almost completely gone. Wrinkles are still slightly visible but I can live with it! Someone told me today my cheek was still a bit puffy but the difference is unbelievable.

I swore I would come back on here and tell my story because I wouldn't have heard about Lysine otherwise and I hope it might help some other people!
It's humidity buy a humidifier dry air quality is causing this issue trust me I went to visit my son had this issue puffy eyes red bumps dry skin while I was there it went away first day back home woke up next day it had started again try my solution seems to work
I have this problem as well, my eyes get really red and itchy, sometimes even swollen. They often get quite dry and I was prescribed hydrocortisone which was really strong. My doctor told me to stop using it under my eyes because it was strong and would start peeling my skin under my eyes soon. This also spreads to my cheeks sometimes.  I have also been prescribed epiderm and diprobase which  don't really help. I don't know what the condition is called and what causes it, so it's quite a pain because I don't want to make it worse by wearing creams or makeup-but I'm not even sure if this causes it.
Please comment if you have a cure!!!!!
Thank you so much. I want actually lying in bed awake from the stinging pain under my eyes last night because it hurt to close my eyes. I was so worried I would never find anything to help. Too self conscious to not cover with makeup for work it was stinging even more - then I bought some lysine capsules from the pharmacy. Within hours the swelling had reduced and stinging had stopped. I am honestly amazed and so grateful to you and your post!! I feel like I have some hope again! Thank you so much! Will stick with it and cross my fingers. Will try to find the ointment too, although seems not very common here in Australia.
Viewing 201-255 comments: