Allergy Community
dry red sore itchy bumpy under eye skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

dry red sore itchy bumpy under eye skin

Last year I suddenly developed dry skin on the left eyelid and was prescibed hydrocortisone.  Unfortunately it spreaded to the right eyelid the to the bottom of both eyes.  The hydrocrtisone did not work, instead peeled away a little skin.  I continued wearing make up (mac) as my dark circles are very bad.
I went to see an optician who thought it was bletharitis, but I don't think it was.  And I had an allergy test (machine tested me on 3000 products).  I was told that I was allergic to lanolin (sheep wool fat),dust, basil and squid.  I was also told that my boots sensitive mascara did not agree with me.  I am not aware of ever having used lanolin.  I stopped wearing eye make up and only used vaseline around the eyes.
Approx. 2 months later it suddenly vanished, not sure how?  I had put up with the problem for 11 months, gradually becoming worse.
And now after 2 months of it having gone away, it has returned again. This time it happened much quicker, starting on the right lower eye, then moved to the left.  The right under eye is very red, sore and dry.  It feels so rough to touch.  I have not worn make up today and have only applied vaseline and aqeous cream.

I haven't changed any toileteries or make up in the last 2 months.  I am not sure what it could be?  I don't think it is eczema, but believe it could be an allergic reaction to something.  I can't seem to work out what it could be?  Could it be an allergic reaction to something i am using around the eye or a food product?  Please help me.

Jezabella
Viewing 1-200 comments:

It can be due to eczema. It is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites). Treatment includes avoidance of the allergen, oral antihistaminics; topical application of corticosteroids and oral steroids in severe cases.You may try application of calamine on the affected site. It may work by soothing the skin.

Other possibility is of erythroderma.It is a generalized skin disorder characterized by reddening and scaling of the skin and produced by several skin diseases, such as psoriasis, contact dermatitis, drug reactions, and mycosis fungoides (a cutaneous lymphoma).

I feel that an examination by a dermatologist will be the best.Other conditions like liver and kidney disorders,diabetes, iron deficiency anemia and thyroid disorders also have to be ruled out.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.

Thanks for your comment.  My eyes have become worse this morning,even though I only applied aqeous cream and vaseline to the eye area and face yesterday.  The right under eye is especially swollen. Will have to take the day off work again to see the doctor.
It still feels very dry.
Thanks againfor tour kind help.
Jezabella

Over the last two weeks my eyes have been the same - At first they are very red and lumpy just on the delicate under eye area then they seem to get worse as the day goes on becoming ithcy and very dry and i dont look very attractive!! I applied several creams including sudo cream but nothing seems to get rid and even the most gentle creams sting like mad - the only thing that doesnt is Vaseline!! eventually they got better until last week i went out with some friends and had quite a few Vodka and diet coke!! The next day my eyes seem to get worse and worse as the day went on taking all week to get any better.
I  have noticed a pattern - it seems to flare up every time after a night out drinking alcohol - i went out for a meal last night and had a few drinks and this mornin it is back again!!

I have not been to the docs yet- but i am going to as i dont think its some thing im usin around my eyes - may be we are allergic to alcohol!!

I hope not!

Any way just thought i would share this with you as it sounds as though we have very simalar symptons

Lisa

I have exactly the same thing

red, itchy, burns when i apply any creams

went and got allergy tests done and nothing came back

comes up bad after a night out, beginning to think its spirits - its only happened in the last 6 months

skin red, tight, and itchy

if you have any look let me know
I have similar sounding problem. Very itchy and dry looking skin round the eye area, including the bridge of my nose. One eye is worse than the other. I have tried vaseline, aloe vera gel, even steroid cream which the doc prescribed after diagnosing blepharitis.

I don't think it's blepharitis as a lot of the symptoms don't match, eg I don't have crusty or sticky eyes in the morning any more than is normal.

Have trawled the net and can't find anything other than an allergic problem. The only thing I can think of is my cats, but I have the itchiness even when away from cats on hols. ??

Nothing seems to work. Although wiping them with cotton ball and hot water seems to keep the itching at bay for a while.
I have had the same symptoms for over a year.  I've been to many doctors and had my hormones tested-they're normal.  My dermatologist said I was allergic to cocamide something or other which is virtually in every soap and shampoo, so I threw out all make up, soaps, shampoos, etc...no change.
Finally went to an allergist.  I have an allergy to Candida (yeast) in my body and certain foods cause the flare up...mainly EVERYTHING!  I'm pretty depressed about it because I either can't eat anything I enjoy or the trade off is looking like a freak of nature because my eyes swell up and itch like crazy...
Foods I have to avoid: sugar including sugar substitutes, dairy, wheat, alcohol, all cheese, all canned vegetables and fruits, all tomato sauces or tomato products in jars or cans, any corn related product,peanuts or peanut butter, jams or jellies, potatoes, all vinegars, condiments, hot sauces, soy related products, all breads, pastas, etc...most fruits except for berries.
The one thing I've continued to do is drink coffee daily although many Candida free diets tell you to avoid caffeine.  It does not seem to affect me-thank god!
What CAN  I eat?  fresh vegetables, extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice and lime juice, almonds, probioitic yogurt, long cooking oatmeal, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, brown rice, fish, chicken and meat that has not been marinated, mmmm, that's about it.  
I have continued to eat walnuts even though I'm not supposed to...
typical daily diet - yogurt with walnuts, cinnamon, rasberries or blueberries
lunch-fresh spinach or arugala with almonds, evo oil, lemon juice salt and pepper and green apple peeled.
dinner-fish or chicken and salad (same as lunch) or brown rice

My question is this - has anyone gotten past this allergy and been able to go back to eating a normal diet???  or has anyone found an easy solution?

no longer a beer drinker  
I have the same problem but can't seem to find any help sites anywhere they all seem to refer to eyeballs! Im going to try to avoid alchol!! See if it makes a difference.
They seem worse when they get dry and are better when moisturised but the hydrocortisone cream is making my eye skin thin and I' more wrinkly now.
Help!!!
Mable
I just started getting these same symptoms two weeks ago and I dont know what to do. I have this patch right under my right eye that is red, swollen, dry and itchy. I try putting vaseline on it but that seems to just temporarily solve the issue. It is embarassing to go out without my glasses on (which hide the patch) so I never wear my contacts anymore...just hide behind my glasses. I have tried benedryl, neosporin, etc. and nothing seems to help. It hasn't spread yet to my other eye but I am thining it might start. HELP PLEASE!?!?!
I've had the same problem for about 7 months now. It started under my right eye, at the time I thought it was stress related as I was doing my Final Year Project for college. However I am finished college now and it has spread to my left eye. I also am getting occasional dry skin on the bridge of my nose, and on top of everything my lips are getting dry and itchy too. I am allergic to lipsticks and lipgloss so I haven't worn them in over 6 years. However this time my lips started acting up for no reason. Does anyone else have this problem with their lips? I went to my dermatologist and he said there is nothing I can do about it. Steroid creams are too risky around the eye, and they also create wrinkles. He said to keep the areas moisturised with vaseline, especially during the cold winter months. He said it could go away...or not. It's just the type of skin I have. I could be allergic to anything, make-up, food, etc. I think we just have to deal with it and learn to love our red and itchy eyes.

If anyone finds a cure let me know!!!!!
i think you right, we'l shall have to learn to deal with it!!!

after being off spirits, its now happened if i drink anything, and wont be giving it up anytime soon!!!  its just a right pain in the a*e!  i originally thought it was stress aswell, makeup, food etc.  my lips also do the same, tho the redness disappears quicker than the eyes.  I find my eyes come up really bad after a shower, (even thought it was the water).  I know someone that gets it around her eyes, it just seems to be getting more common, b4 i found this forum i thought i was going mad.  thank god im not the only one.  have found that my skin under my eyes to be more wrinkly since, will be avoiding those creams so....

again, if anyone finds out anything....
Just visited a dermatologist and she gave me an antifungul cream saying she thought it could be yeast or an allergic reaction to yeast. I have been using it for 3 days and it has helped with the swollen, red and ithcy symptoms but now it is extremely dry under my eyes. I also think that the cream has caused a deeper wrinkle. Just cant seem to win!!!
For me I started noticing it on my honeymoon. I had bought new mascara (body shop) for the wedding. It does get worse after I wear that so I have stopped. The itchy dry red under my eay doesn't get better. Some days it looks better than others but over all it is still there. I have been noticing that some other areas have red itchy spots too, like arround my elbow and behind my ears. I went to the Doctor about it and he did give me some cream but warned me to only use it for a week around my eye. It didn't really help :(

My sister has pretty bad allergies and sensitive skin (she can only use certain detergents and soaps) Maybe that's whats happening to me even though I haven't changed anything except my mascara.

Hmmm, it's nice to know I'm not alone
i know what you're going through

right now though, i suggest
1.) cut down on alcohol
2.) use natural products like aloe vera gel or olive oil, even somthing like baby oil. Also, you can use homemade face masks like honey and oatmeal.
3.) relax and revive, e.g. exercise like yoga, also, meditate.
4.) drink lots of water
5.) wear clothes that are kind to the skin, avoid anything itchy or scratchy.
6.) avoid sunlight that can dry out the skin
7.) never scrub the eye area.
8.) ask your doctor for creams and bath addictives that are natural moisterisers and are kind to the skin. for example diprobase cream which is good for raw red skin, light liquid parafin which is good for irritant and dry skin. also ask for oilatum bath addictive which can be used for the face and body which locks in moisture.
9.) most important, dont touch the skin or itch it, try and aviod changing temperature or humidity rapidly.
10.) use natural moisturisers that can be brought over the counter
the best one is Aveeno cream.

hope this helps (:
I have had this same problem it's not fun!!! It started after I got my eyebrows waxed. My eyelids were so dry and they wouldn't stop peeling! I tried so many different creams. Finally I found one that works! It's the Bare Escentuals RareMinerals purely nourishing facial moisturizer. It works great on my eyelids! No more peeling! So happy!

Just when I was thinking it was over. Now I have red dry dark circles under my eyes! :( What do you think I should do? My lotion doesn't work on these. I have never had something like this happen before. Please help!!!!

Do you think tea bags may work on the under eyes?
I had the same problem - red swollen itchy eye which started on the skin just under my left eye as the weeks went on it spread to the eye lid, the bridge on my nose, between my eye brows and to to skin round my other eye. it drove me in sane it was so imbarassing going into work. On the days it wasn't as red it was very dry bumpy and scaly horrible. The attack lasted months and the skin was starting to look wrinkly!  I tried what seemed to be everthing I found vaseline the best to soothe and try to protect the skin. The pharmist told me to try aveeno cream which soothed it but it was still there. I paid for a Herbalist and she gave me a cream,and some horrible medicine to try which I took because I was fed up and would do anything . I took this for a while but didn't seem to get the results i was hoping for. I had a few ideas what may be causing it I am a eczema suffer but only on my hands which is triggered by critic acid which is found in loads of foods drinks(diet coke, sweeties. and citrus friuts such as grapes, oranges, lemons, kiwi, tomatoes ,pineapple  strawberries, wine and food that contain these such as sweet andsour and tomato sauces etc so I took these out of my diet just in case I had become more intolerant. also wondered if it was hormonal as it seemed to get worse half way through my cycle and also at that time of the month. So I went on the pill to help even out my hormones.  All of which helped and it has been a way for a few months with just a few niggly bits a the side of my nose. However my 4 1/2 year old has it now !!! So i'm doing the same with her diet and shes been refered to the hospital for allery testing.  I'm not sure now as it seems odd it may even been a weird virus !!!? Hope any of this helps someone. from Pauline
I just started getting this about 6 months ago.  I have no idea what it is and was wondering if going to a doctor would help.  thank you for this forum because I know they would just give me cortisone and charge me a lot.  I have been using kiehl's imperiale repairateur moisturizing eye balm.  It soothes at least and it hasn't spread to the other eye, but this is the worst outbreak yet, goes pretty far down, my friend said I look like someone hit me in the eye.   I have found like vaseline or products with mineral oil to be great short term but more drying in the long run.

I was thinking I was allergic to my hair die or something like that, but reading this forum I realize it is yet another symptom of yeast that I have been fighting for years.  I changed my diet with minimal results, but lately have been letting sugar back in, maybe causing the eye thing.

Thank you everyone.
I was reading your post about the dry, red, itchy under the eyes and I have the SAME problem!  What stuck out to me is that you said u wear MAC makeup.  So do i!  I just started using it in Dec 08, and I have to admit that is one thing I started using and then I seemed to notice this break out...altho I dont use any mac eyemakeup UNDER my eye I wonder if the eyeshadows OR powder foundation is the cause?  I have went a week w/o wearing makeup and it seemed to clear up but then occassionally it will still breakout even when Im not wearing make up so I wasnt completely sure if its the MAC makeup or not but that was a thought since that was the only real thing NEW i started wearing prior to the breakout.  It will seem to get better but still breakout so its not completely cured.  I think I need to try to just NOT wear the MAC makeup and see if that is it that Im allergic too?  I LOVE that makeup too, BUT if i am allergic I'll just have to find something else to wear!
I periodically have this same problem, not sure if it is related to makeup, as I have a ton of makeup but the last two weeks really haven't been wearing any.  I seem to have more of a problem on the upper eyelids than the lower, they itch like crazy and are puffy and red.  I notice it seems to be worse when there is windy weather I am outside walking around in.  I use L'Occitane 100% Pure Shea on my eyelids, it is similar to Vaseline.  I am tempted to get some cortisone cream but have heard as stated above that it thins the skin out so is bad in the long run.  I do not have health insurance at the moment but had gone to a doctor about this last year and there really wasn't a lot they had to offer as a solution.  I have been cutting way down on alcohol consumption lately but am eating probably way too much sugar, which may be contributing to the problem.  Also, does anyone notice that this problem gets worse when they are under a lot of stress?  And too, with season allergies, perhaps this is related?
OMG!  I think this is a virus of some sort.  I'm the type of person who has basically no allergies.  About 3 weeks ago, my right eyelid started swelling, but at the same time, I had just caught a cold.  I thought it was all related.  Well, the cold went away and I still have a swollen right eyelid and under both eyes they are sore, red, itchy, and scaly.  It looks worse and worse, like I've been punched in both eyes.  The swelling on the right lid has subsided with use of hot water and neosporin, but every morning, it would come back, and after a hot shower, it would go back to normal.  The skin on the lid is dry, but somewhat close to normal.  I have problems under my eyes and the skin is getting worse, dry and causing deep wrinkles.  Concealer to cover the redness only makes me look 10 years older!  If anyone can recommend anything, please let me know.  I'm pretty desperate and can't handle this anymore.  I know it's only been 3 weeks, but it's horrible!!
Thanks....
Wow! I was so surprised to read everyone's comments. I too have been experiencing very dry, scaly skin underneath my eyes and also on other parts of my body. Now recently my 1 year old daughter has began to develop the same thing. What concerns me is that Lupus is common with the women on my mom's side of the family including my sister and her syptoms (symptoms) began with this rash. It might not be the same for all of you but one characteristic sypmtom of lupus is a malar rash which can be red or scaly dry skin on the upper part of your face and over the bridge of your nose. Of course it can be on other parts of your body too but this type of rash is common with lupus. I have been procrastinating on going in for a while but now that my daughter is experiencing symptoms I am going to have to make it a priority.
I am in the same boat. My eyes started having these symptoms in conjunction with a cold. However the eye problem has continued for the last three weeks. First it was my left eye now it is both. It started as a little irritation, like a bite and it was raw and it cracked and it was sore. Then the whole area got really scaly, dry, red, wrinkled and sore. Then other eye joined in. It looks horrid. Makeup makes it looks worse as it settles in the wrinkles, redness. I have not gone to the Dr. as I am sure she won't have any idea. Will go to my naturopath first. Any more info from anyone would be greatly appreciated. This is really really bad.
I have also had this problem although it usually only effects one eye.  I get dry, red, and itchy under my left eye with some swelling on the eyelid.  A couple of days ago I woke up with a "welt" looking thing under my eye which was a new treat.  I managed to figure out one thing that I know was causing the problem when it first started which was found in the indoor tanning cream I was using and is called "dihydroxyacetone".  This never failed to cause a big reaction in my eyes with such swollen eyelids, red itchy under my eyes and prominate wrinkles that I would not ordinarilly have.  I quit using anything with that ingredient in it but have started having a reaction again.  I'm guessing it might be a new liquid eye liner I'm using so, I'm eliminating that for a while to see if that helps.  I also notice this is more severe when I first wake up and somewhat diminishes throughout the day.  I appreaciate all of the posts here as I have also been looking for a definate cure but haven't been successful at finding one.  I thought since I knew that the dihydroxyacetone was a sure culprit for me, I would post to help someon else.  If anyone finds a sure cure, please post it.  Thanks.
Does all this scare anyone?  I mean there seems to be a whole lot of us with this same symptom and no one knows what is causing it or how to ease it...

I think I agree with an earlier blogger that it seems to behavior more like a virus.

It is so odd how it appears under the eyes, dry, itchy.  I have been going through a divorce and I thought I was crying too much, then rubbing too hard, then maybe it was my makeup or my soap or my shampoo, I have been trying everything, cold compresses, aloe, vaseline, ice packs...

thi morning I woke up to the worst of it...my under eyes are puffy and swollen....what do we all have in common?

Maybe we should start listing our diets, our habits, perhaps we can narrow down the source in order to find a solution.

Thank you for everyone's honesty and this forum.  I was about to go to the doctors but I don't want to throw more good money at this problem...I want to find a real solution
Hi,  I cured myself.  I found out that I was allergic to the mac foundation.  I put up with this problem for over a year.  Docs thought it was bletharitis, and eczema.  I rang sick from work on thurs, removed all from my face and only used vaseline.  You have to be patient as it will take at least 5 days to begin to clear up.  Believe me you should take my advice.  I do not want anyone to go through what I had to.  I went back to work on the Monday.  The eyes were still dry and red... but a lot better than what they looked like on Thurs.  Please feel free to contact me, ***@****.  My eyes have been fine ever since.  The problem is you all could be using something which you are allergic to and not know it.  Also you can develop an allergy anytime, even after using the a product for years, suddenly you could be allergic.  Good luck.
I'm so glad i'm not the only one with this. I have been going mad!
I've had all the same symptoms - Red, itchy, lumpy areas around the bottoms of my eyes, I had a break out about 3 months ago but it cleared about a week later. It has now come back even worse then before, and spread down to my cheeks, it's almost like prickly heat in a way with the itching and redness, Whats worrying me the most is the deep wrinkles under my eyes that this is causing and i haven't even used any creams (apart from E45) I'm only 24 and my eyes look 20 years older. I have never had this untill this year, i just don't know whats causing it, Doctor / Pharmasist have been useless. Someone please help!
Wow! Glad I found this forum.  about 5 weeks ago my friend and I went and bought some Mac make up.  I bought the liquid eye liner an absolutely loved it! Wore it above and below the lid.  The following weekend I went hiking and the next day I noticed right under my left eye was really red, then the next two days scaly and red (flaky almost). Quit unusual for me to have. It began to look infected. I was disturbed. It went down do to loading up on oil of Olay eye cream and an eye pack. But yes, it does come back.  I don't think I am going to use the mac makeup and I know this is gonna take some time to heal.  But I think I will start by steaming my eyes/face with natural tea herbs and keep putting either a cool eye pack or cucumber under my eye and rub some aloe vera under my eyes/face. Not going to the doctor yet. Sounds like the doctor can only give prescriptions.
I am in the midst of an attack it is the third one I have had I am m 52 an look 70 right now after the sewlling goes down I am left with wrinkly tight red skin is there anyone who knows a cure each time it is worse and this time it is overwelming I have reported off all week I cant face people looking like this I look like a monster
I have this too. It started last month under my left eye. Now I have 3 bumps the newest is the reddest. This is scary. I'll try Vaseline. Other creams help minimize but nothing cures it completely. I don't even really wear makeup!
I also have the same problem!  It appeared on my right eylid to start with and I now have a sizeable red itchy and scaly patch under my right eye - I have never had anything like this before and am not allergic to anything!!!  I though it may be the time of year with hayfever, so I have been taking antihistamine, but this has not helped at all.  I use Khiels moisturiser and bobby brown make-up.  I am going to the doctor tonight and will try and get a referral to a dermatologist.  I'll let you know if anything useful comes out of it.
Helloow!

I just got this eye cream from Aveda - Tourmaline Charged eye cream - it is fantastic for dark, tired looking eyes.  It is soo worth the $32...a little goes a long way!

On the topic of red, dry, painful looking under eye patch, I just recently developed the same in the past few weeks.  Just before finding this thread I found another post elsewhere that suggested if you have ever had a cold sore/fever blister (and that other not so pretty word ;>) and rubbed your under eye at any time, that it could be connected.  Her doctor prescribed/recommended allergy eye drops.  

Thought I'd throw this out there, I love that there are so many remedies and suggestions here. Thank you all!

Cheers!  (with a nice fresh glass of lemonade)  =D
I am so glad that I found you all ! I have been battling the same symptoms for a couple of years on and off, It really is taking a toll on my emotional health. I love people and am afraid to go in public without glasses. I have tried the cortisone creams, prednisone, purchasing new makeup, changing all my shampoos and conditioners and detergent to hypo allergenic, not wearing makeup and sleeping on my back. Prednisone seems to help the best but I not see this as a solution. Please continue to post remedies as I am interested. A weird virus seems to be the only explanation at this point!! Thank you that I am not alone.
Try Neutrogena Dermotological cream. its like a gel, around £5 in a tube. It has cured the problem for me. i just wish i knew the cause.

I have a list of possibilities-
- Eczema, i had this when i was young. But im not sure why it has all of a sudden flared back up.
-Allergy- it seems to flare up when i wear make up, but why now?? i havent changed makeup or used anything new, and ive worn makeup for yeeears.
-yeast infection?
-Could it be diabetes? I do have a few other symptoms of diabetes but would it also cause this?
- stress- i have just finished my last year of Uni.

I feel like if i went to the doctors they wud just go for the most obvious explanation, eczema, but im worried there are more serious underlying causes

I have been reading all the different comments on here and i have had the same problem for about 5/6 months.  I tried E45, Vaseline, aqueous cream, and emoilients.  the first visit to the doctor he gave me cortisone cream which was no good.   I have just been back and have seen a new young doctor who prescribed fucidin ointment for around my eyes and fucithalmic viscous eye drops.  I have been using this medicine for 5 days and stoped wearing eye make up for last 2 days and it hes cleared up.  this is the first time my eyes dont look wrinkly and flakey - hooray.  Will have to see how i get on when i put my mascara back on - but at the moment its ok.
WOW, we should ALL start a club for people with skin problems around the eyes. I thought I was the only one with this skin condition. Mine started quite a few years ago during the winter and lasted for a couple of months. Somehow it went away on it's own. Then a few years down the line it happened again during the winter and lasted a couple of months and then went away. Well, this past February or March it came back worse then I ever had it. My eyes even wter all the time, I am constantly wiping them. They are so red, scaley and itchy that I look like a fish losing it's scales. I've tried hydrocortizone creams, hand creams, vitamine E oil, Preparation H cooling gel, and YES I did say Preparation H (for burning, swelling and itching) and it did stop the itching for a couple of hours(plus it even works on regular burns too), and Visine-A allergy relief (which has an antihistamine in it) also helped with the itching. But it doesn't cure it. Right now as I sit typing this, I am rubbing my eyes because they itch sooooooooooo badly.Wearing eye make-up makes my eyes look terrible, so I end up wearing my glasses to help hide it a little bit. Anyone who knows how to get rid of this please HELP all of us!!!!!!!
I have been having the exact same problem for about 8-9 months now.  I am 49 years old and have always looked really good for my age, at least 10 years younger.  Until now: I look 10 years older. The redness, flaking, swelling looks horrible.  I have become very self conscious and just today became aware of the fact that many times I have avoided eye contact.  I am sure I am projecting a lot of insecurity and that in itself ages anyone.  Before finding this forum I had vowed I was going to deal with this and look people straight in the eyes like I always have, so what if I look 10 years older, I can still be a hot 59 year old :)
I have had the same red, swollen itchy scaly eyes for years (off and on)  I have been told by doctors that they don't know what it it but give me prednisone to help it.  It looks absolutely awful at times.  I have spent A LOT of money on herbs and vitamins trying to find a cure.  I am investigating the possibility of my ph levels being too acidic.  I believe that I might be on to something here and will let you know if I find anything hopeful.  Good luck to everyone
You know just the other day I too was thinking that maybe I have too much acid in my system. I drink a LOT of orange juice and I have been drinking it since last year. I am going to try and cut back on it and see if that helps. Quite a few years ago I had my first bout with the watery, itchy, scaley, red, wrinkley, swollen eyes and after a couple of months it went away, then a few years later it started again and then went away. This past February, I had a complete hysterectomy and it started all over again, but this time it has gotten extremely worse. So like I said it could be that I have too much acid in my system or it could be some hormonal imbalance. Whatever it may be I hope to try and figure it out and get it under control. I am 41 almost 42 years old and look at myself and look like I am 50 something.My eyes are soooooo sore from rubbing the heck out of them, that I too can't look people in the eyes. I keep my glasses on to try and hide my eyes, wearing make-up makes my eyes look worse. If you find anything that works, PLEASE let me and everyone else know, same way if I find something that helps I will let everyone know. GOOD LUCK to ALL!!!
i was wondering if everyones' eyes itch and when you rub them, they burn like you have burns under your eyes? my eyes scale over just like a burn and then they peel and start over again, i have just finished a round of steroids that cleared them up, but a week later they are back.
I thank you all for your posts, I too thought to be alone and have found great comfort to know I am not.I have aged ten years in the past two weeks and truly look horrific.I have tried every cream available from anti fungal to vaseline and nothing seems to work.My eyes are wrinkled puffy and an unbearable burning sensation.It has seems to also have spread to my neck and different blotches are beginning to appear everywhere.I have had this happen to me every few years and normally last for months some longer than others.
I have found through my own research that animal urine weather is a dog cat or ferret contain a hormone that could be the cause of all this.
Lets list our similarities and maybe we can find something in common we are all doing.This has affects my everyday and I feel terrible, I am no longer myself when i look in the mirror.Lets find this the answers we all need by sharing info specs of our daily lives maybe then we will have hope in finding a cure.With tears in my eyes I ask that we all cooperate and help each other.

My habits

I smoke
No alcohol
Eat very healthy
I started using Mac Makeup
I have dogs cats and a ferret
Stress levels have been very high before the breakouts
I cry often
I garden
I eat very late
dont sleep enough
Team work guys lets figure this out !!
Hi, I have also suffered with this same problem for over 12 months. The skin around my eyes becomes very dry and itchy, my eyelids puff up and I get terrible dark circles under my eyes. Having gone from being wrinkle free I have started getting lines under the eye area due to how dry my skin has become. My doctor prescribed me with a steriod cream to begin with which helped whilst i was using it, but as soon as i stopped the problem reoccured. Vaseline, E45 and even aqueous cream really sting.
The products I have found that really help me are washing my face with Cetaphil this a a really mild cleanser for dry irrated skin. After washing I put a very small amount of Bio-oil around the eye area, this really soothes the irritation and is helping the skin regain it's suppleness. A good moisturiser I have found is Boots Botanics skin calming cream, again this really helps sooth the area. As long as I stick to these products my skin seems fine - as soon as I try switching products it flares up again.
I have no idea why this has starting happening over the last 12 months, have never suffered with it before - I am almost 35. The doctor cannot give me any help or explanation. It does make you very miserable and stressed which I am sure seems to make it worse.
I posted a few weeks ago about the possibility of this eye problem being related to the body's ph.  I have started using drops to make all the water that I drink more alkaline and I am using an adrenal supplement.  This has definitely helped a great deal.  I feel a lot better over all.  I believe that some of the problem is probably also yeast related.  I'd be interested to know if this works for anyone else.
I also have this strange eye skin condition.  It started maybe three years ago, and it comes and goes.  I assumed it was eczema or an allergy at first, so I threw out all my eye make-up.  I tried everything to get rid of it, but it has a mind of its own.  I went to the acupuncturist and got a treatment and they gave me chrysanthemums - the herb/flowers dried.  I boil them in water and strain it to drink the tea - then I put the wet flowers on my eyelids when they are not too hot.  This is relieving, but does not cure it.  

I have not had a flare-up for quite some time, since I quit using any eyeshadows ever - I only use mascara and sometimes eye-liner.  Recently, I bought a new mascara and eye-liner that contained more natural ingredients in order to avoid irritating my eyes.  However, for some reason, I am having the condition again.  It could be that the skin has developed allergies from any chemicals or products found in make-ups, so any change or anything too consistent causes irritation... I have no idea.  Last time it happened, I used hydrocortisone cream and it helped relieve it, but that cream stretches out the skin and adds to wrinkles.  This time the cream is not helping very much at all.

I do not have health insurance and cannot afford to go to the derm.  I'm afraid they wouldn't be of much help anyway.  I think  the advice in the posts above about maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle is definitely going to have an effect.
Thank you everyone!
I came across this forum an was so happy to see I wasn't alone!
I did take some tips from some of the posts...one of which was get rid of my MAC eyeshadow that I wear occasionally.

There are some however that I disagree with and I hope my input will help. I had this problem for about 3 weeks and just after I came across this forum I read in the book "Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me" that Aveeno Ultra Calming face wash and lotion that contains feverfew can cause dermatitis in people with plant allergies. I have plant allergies. I instantly stopped using it and within a couple days it started to go away. I used Dove soap instead of the Aveeno facewash that I had been using for a couple years and now about 5 days later the problem is gone!

I also remembered about a year and a bit ago I was using Aveeno Positively ageless eye serum and I had very dry skin under my eyes after a few weeks. I started to notice I was getting hives whenever I ate mushrooms...mushrooms are in that Aveeno line.

Believe me I am not knocking Aveeno products because for the longest time I swore by them every time someone commented on my skin! I think just some people may have allergies to some of the ingredients...and not just in Aveeno but in other products that are "natural" or even "Organic" if you have food or pollen allergies it could be in your skin care routine.  

Hope I could be of some help because this forum helped me and made me feel better knowing I wasn't alone :)

Thanks All!
I've dealt with this under both eyes for over 5 months now.  I think dust mites may be mainly to blame.  The most success I had came after washing my pillow in hot water and drying on high (recommended to kill them).  I would wake up to the worst ofit- eyes so swollen and sore I could hardly see.  It never made sense that after having them closed for so long, without makeup, light, etc. would cause them to be worse in the morning; until I considered dust mites.  Since the pillow experiment, my eyes aren't swollen, red or covered in scaly, dry skin anymore.  They do still itch though.  

I don't drink more than one night a wk and noticed this on other nights, I've never used any MAC product, I've had no allergies to date, non-smoker.  I do have an indoor cat and we've had her for years.  

I originally noticed the problem after starting a treatment of Differin and Benzyclin.  I used to think that the medicine got on my under eye skin and irritated it.  After months of careful application I still had the problem.

I'm curious what's going on so I'm making an appointment with my dermatologist soon.  I'll share any good information they give me.
Thank you to all who have left tips etc. I too have really red, itchy skin under my eyes. In fact i look like i have done ten rounds in a boxing ring. I age everytime it flares up and my self worth is stripped away.
Anybody have any new tips or advice as my doctor has none

I will cut a long story short! If you are using Bare Minerals foundation-GET RID OF IT.
Ok-maybe this is not the cure for everyone. Had very dry area under my eyes and on one of my cheeks. Yes-hydro cream from the doctors did work(for a while) but it kept coming back. The only new product I have been using for about the past 2 months was the Bare Minerals. I tried many creams etc and the only way I got rid of it was stop using the Minerals and  using NEEM cream. Hope this has helped
Ill keep this short too but just want to say I am so relieved I'm not the only one! I had it since I was 15 and im 23 now so I totally sympathise with all of you.

For me its alcohol wine in particular, cheap make up (generally) and food that is acidic.

I have learned to live with it by listening to my body and stopping what im using if I feel the itch coming, then it usually goes away quickly. If you don't nip it in the bud its takes much longer to clear although I appriciate it is difficult at times to find the cause but trust me there's always something!

Find products that work for you and stick to them! then its easier to identify what causes flare ups.

Make-up to avoid: Elizabeth Arden MAC NO7
Make-up thats okay (for me anyway) Lancome, YSL and Estee Lauder espically for foundations and concealer, there pricey but worth it for red itch free skin!

Never put make up over to cover and only use vaseline on clean dry skin.

Over use of hydrocortisone/betnovate can thin skin but if desperate they do provide instant relief, if you are in dire straits it can be used sparingly but mix with vaseline before hand to dilute the concentration, it works just as well.

Hope this helps someone, good luck!

I too seem to have the same symptoms, I only get it under my left eye which looks like I have been punched.  It goes red and swells where the redness is, its not really itchy but it is very dry and wrinkly.  Anything I put on it stings and it feels like a burn.

I do not smoke
I don't have any known allergies
I don't wear MAC makeup
I only drink 1 night a week
I have 2 cats and have had cats all my life.

The problem only started 2 months ago.  I am 29 years old.  My Dr gave me Fucidin cream which does not help.  Antihistamines do not help.  I am currently using E45 just to try and ease the dryness.
I have this eye condition that I thought started with a bug bite on my left upper lid. It never got better - but turned into a red spot. IT then started on my other eye lid and below my right eye. it has also moved to the lower left eye. It is red and flaky. when it is getting worse it is itchy. At the same time I started getting chapped lips - I thought I had got them sunburned or I used old lip cream - or I used a new toothpaste or the mouth piece that I use for sleep apnea was not cleaned well enough so it irritated my mouth. My mouth deal has turned into Angular Cheiliis ( appears as skin lesions on the lips, particularly as breaks in the tissue at the corners of the mouth)  - the only thing that helps my mouth and eyes are cleaning with dish detergent - drying with blow dryer and heaping on Vaseline. I also have been using Benadryl after waking up two weeks ago with swollen eyelids, lower lids and bags under my eyes! I looked so scary! - I went to see my doctor  - she took a blood test and ruled out kidney, liver and thyroid disease. The Benadryl worked - I tried to stop using it three days ago and within two days my mouth started to burn and turn red and my red eye patches started to come back  - the skin being slightly itchy. I am trying to figure this out - allergy (environmental? food allergy?) virus? Vitimain B2 deficiency? Soy allergy. I am already allergic to dairy and eggs. I have a cat  - but do not think I am allergic to her. I eat really well. I do not smoke and drink infrequently. I don't wear much makeup - and have stopped wearing any (Clinique) for now. I am altering my diet and restricting it more then it was. I just want to figure this out - the eye and mouth thing has never happened before. It has been 6 weeks now. My boy friend will not kiss me. I am 51 years old.  And I am not used to looking so ugly.
Am I the only bloke with this annoying condition?!

Obviously I don't wear make-up! It started below my right eye when I was 24 and nothing seemed to get rid of it. I then moved to Spain and within a few weeks it was gone! 4 years later, I've now moved back to England and straight away it's come back again!

Am I actually allergic to England?! The only things I can guess at are:

Vitamin D from sunshine helped clear it up?
I only used UHT milk whilst in Spain

When I was younger I had eczma (eczema) on my arms and switched to goats milk, which solved the problem. Could it be an intolerance to cows milk? But then, why have I had cows milk for most of my teenage and adult life, without any problems?!

The doctor gave me some Aqeous cream, which doesn't work. Sudocrem helps ease the itching, but I can only put that on at night because it doesn't blend into the skin.
My bout started with tiny red bump that looked like a bug bite under my right eye and dry cracked area in the corner of my right eye; now it is worse under my left eye, still in my right eye and my eyelids itch and feel puffy although they don't look to bad.  It has even started waking me up at night now.
I was told over 2 months ago that I am anemic, so I started taking a multivitamin but that was after the first bout and I still have it.

Don't smoke
Only Drink occasionally
44 years old
Female
NO makeup
only use Dove bar soap for sensitive skin
Had the same pets of several years
Have had it for 3 months
Eat mostly from scratch meals: no box mixes, not much canned, yes, ice cream and a little milk once in a while in my espresso
Moved but after 2 months of having it and no changes
Tried several cortisone creams, lotions, etc.
My lips seem dried out as well
I did go off of gluten (wheat products) for a couple of months for my children's sake (they have problems with gluten) and when I went back on I have had continuous mild acne.
I am going off of gluten again for a while to see if that is the problem.  
I do NOT have insurance so I can't have this checked out by a dermatologist.
If anyone does find relief: PLEASE let the rest of us know.  Even if you try something and it doesn't work, let us know that as well.
I read one place that made it sound like the eye area is very sensitive and could just be a general warning sign for all sorts of different problems so just because something did or did not work for you doesn't mean it will or will not work for me.  We really could all have a variety of causes for the same affliction!  Sad!!!  Good luck to all!  I HATE this.
After more searching here's another possible idea.  Has anyone else come across this or thought of this?  Many have mentioned the possibility of it being a virus of some kind so how about something like this.  When I was a teen I was getting lots of different boils in various places and a nurse recommende we try this and IT WORKED GREAT for that.  I am going to start taking this tonight and I'll let you know what happens.

Lysine has shown to be effective against herpes by improving the balance of nutrients necessary to reduce viral growth of the herpes virus. A deficiency of Lysine has been found to cause tiredness, lack of concentration, irritability, hair loss, anemia and reproductive problems. It has also been reported that too little lysine in a diet can result in kidney stones.

Like all amino acids, lysine functions as a building platform for proteins. Lysine is key in the production of disease fighting antibodies, numerous enzymes, and hormones. Lysine insures the adequate absorption of calcium; helps form collagen that makes up bone cartilage and connective tissues.

Lysine is believed to prevent and relieve cold sores (herpes). In studies conducted over the last several years with lysine, researchers are finding lysine to aid in the control and prevention of herpes outbreaks. In studying the relationship of lysine and herpes, researchers have found that in order to replicate, the herpes virus needs arginine, another common amino acid. Arginine is found in such foods as peanuts, chocolate, almonds, seeds, grains, gelatin and raisins. Lysine competes with arginine for absorption and entry of tissue cells. When lysine is present, it prevents the growth of HSV by depleting the strength of arginine.

In studying the relationship of lysine and herpes, researchers have found that in order to replicate, the herpes virus needs arginine, another common amino acid. Arginine is found in such foods as peanuts, chocolate, almonds, seeds, grains, gelatin and raisins. Lysine competes with arginine for absorption and entry of tissue cells. When lysine is present, it prevents the growth of HSV by depleting the strength of arginine.
Most Common Dosage Recommendation of Lysine
Lysine to treat Canker Sores
1000 mg – Lysine three times a day with meals while lesions are present. Reduce lysine dose to 500 mg three times per day for one week following the healing of the canker sore lesion.
Lysine to treat Herpes
1000 mg – Lysine three times per day with meals during flare-ups. If you suffer from recurrent or frequent herpes outbreaks, continue with a maintenance dose of 1000 mg of lysine per day.
Lysine to Treat Shingles
1000 mg – Lysine three times per day during a shingles flare-up. Reduce lysine intake to 500 mg three times per day for one week after healing.
General Interactions with Lysine
It is not recommended that you take lysine with milk or dairy products.
Very large doses of lysine can increase the toxicity of aminoglycoside antibiotics (i.e. gentamicin, neomycin and streptomycin).

Side Affects
Most common side affects of Lysine have been abdominal cramps and diarrhea. These have been reported by those taking extremely high doses of lysine (more than 10 g per day).
Further to my previous post, I felt that I couldn't actually go to work without any makeup on during a flare up because I hated the attention it gave me.  Therefore I simply mixed cream E45 with my usual foundation and dabbed it under the eye during the day and reapplied E45 every couple of hours in the evening.  The E45 eased the dryness considerably whilst the foundation help reduce the redness.  
A week or so later, it seemed to have cleared up, the only problem now being a permanent bag under one eye where there is still a degree of redness and wrinkles.  I go on holiday in a few weeks, so I shall report back as to whether the sun helps with this problem, as it seems to relieve many other skin disorders such as exzema (eczema). Fingers crossed!
I can't believe I found this site.  Just like most of you I thought I was the only one with problem.
All of my symptoms are the same.
I just got and oil this week called Neem Seed Oil which is suppost to help with skin conditions.  I seems to at least keep the reddness down, but it has a strong smell.
I think the post on Lysine was the most helpful and made sense.  I started to take it yesterday AM and this morning my eyes are not as bad. I do have the swelling, but they are not as inflamed. I do feel it is some sort of virus as well.  I am going to watch my yeast intake too and see if this makes a difference.
Some of you talked about having to wear glasses instead of contacts due to the problem.  I am a contact wear too.  I wonder if there is any connection there?
Thanks for all the info and suggestions.
I suffered with itchy, dry, swollen skin around my eye area for months and went to an allergist (among other doctors) with no results of any allergies.  He sent me to my dermatologist who immediately told me I was probably allergic to NAILPOLISH.  Try this for those of you who wear nail polish.  Do not wear nail polish on your fingernails for one to two weeks and see if your symptoms improve.  Then get a manicure and see if your eyes begin the horrible cycle again.  Apparently, more women are allergic to nail polish than you can imagine and your fingers are near your face more than you can imagine.  This allergy usually manifests in the eye area.  I also would get itchy hives down my face and neck.  
This past week I have been suffering from seasonal allergies, (sneezing, congestion, etc.) and now the skin around my eyes is becoming itchy, dry and crackly.  Yuck.  Maybe its the allergies or a medication I've been taking.  A & D ointment is soothing and helps a little.

Good Luck.
Problem GONE!!!!!  I can't believe it, but it's been only 5 days since my previous post and I have gotten rid of all the visible signs and almost all of the itching!!!!!   I have a little itching in the morning and when I get tired but no red bumps or dry cracks left!  I am soooo excited.  I did NOT stay off the gluten but I have been very faithful with the 1000 mg of L-lysine 3 x's a day.  That's it!  It started feeling less bumpy on day 2 and by day 4 all visible redness and bumps were gone!!!!!  You can find L-lysine in your vitamin section at Wal-mart or your favorite drug store.  A relatively inexpensive fix!

Good luck to all of you!!!!  I know that we probably don't all have the exact same issue, but if this can help even 35% of you.  That is great!!!
Hi all
I have been reading all your eye problems and thought I would mention what I discovered mine was caused from - multi-vitamin supplements. After several months, I also developed the rash on my upper legs. I'm not sure what vitamin or mineral, but there are very few supplements that I can take. Apparently it's quite a common allergy to have.
Good luck and hope to have given you all food for thought.
So what multivitamins can you take?  I just realized that I started taking a multivitamin somewhere around the same time I started having my trouble.  It started to come BACK again and I think it may be due to gluten but if that doesn't solve it, I will eliminate the multivitamin and see if that is it.  I'd much rather have to get a different multivitamin than have to give up my wheat products for the rest of my life!!!  Thanks for sharing.
Hi there
I know the one was  Vital - Women's Own and the other was an Environ multi vitamin.
I did take a Patrick Holford one and that was fine. Good Luck.

hi i just recently started using my bare minerals finishing powder again couple weeks ago and i noticed ive been having dry,scaly,itchy, peeling skin under my eye i dont know whats causing it! ive read several posts and everyone seems to be getting it under left eye. mine is under my left eye too. its become wrinkled an puffy like i been crying real bad. i think im gonna go a day without wearing makeup and see what happens. Every lotion ive used is short term relief tonight im trying coco butter it stung a little but its soft for now.
I joined this website speficially to thank virtuesongs for their advice about the Lysine tablets.  

I took 3 yesterday because the state of my eyes was the worst it's ever been.  The red bumps were half way down my face on the left and for the first time ever my right eye was inflamed, creased and red not to mention the heat and non stop itch.  The colour too was awful, bright red not just a discolouration.  This first started happening when we got a cat when I was 9 and cleared up when she died then came back with a vengeance recently but went away when I gave up wheat and is now back again.  I think it is most definitely connected to allergies but sometimes it's not easy to figure out what that allergy is.

So, anyway, I took 3 Lysine tablets yesterday and applied some Simple Eye Ointment (I get it from the pharmacy and it's basically sterile vaseline which I use every night) and this morning my right eye is almost completely better and my left eye is much less swollen and the redness has faded to almost nothing.  Best of all though, no itch!  Usually it takes weeks for it to calm down once it's got bad, if does at all (sometimes I have it for months on end just getting worse and worse).

I am very excited right now and have dutifully begun my second dose of Lysine.

Thank you so much, virtuesongs!
I have been to the doctor no about 10 times since my l;ast post I have taken prednisome ,
steroid shots such deca durabelon as well as the pills, they all work but it always comes back  I have had allergy testing and nothing. They are now testing for lupus and or cancer ..The shot works in a day .the prednosone was the best it was gone for a month  and then came back.
oh yes they are testing for Lupus, my doctor is as puzzled as I am he does not think I have any of this ,he thinks its an allergy. To the person who mentioned bare mineral I also wear it and have  ben for 10 years now? could that be the cause I will soon find out..Im not going to wear it. I just got another shot today and its almost gone..
You are so welcome!  I am glad that I could help someone, after all that's why we all got on here: to get some help.
I had just made a doctor appointment for the same problem after having had it for about a month. I decided to check the Web & found this site. My appointment is Thursday, but I'm now going to buy some L-lysine tonight & see if it helps.
I wear MAC eye shadow, but have for years
I have a dog, but have always had dogs
My eyes have red welts under them and on my eyelids. I also have redness on my neck.
I only wear one contact. The eye without the contact weeps unless I take an Alavert tablet (which does nothing for the red welts).
My itching is not unbearable, but it feels tight and a little sore, like a sunburn.
I've never had exzema (eczema), but have similar dry red spots on the side of my nose (and have had for years). I keep them under control with a cream called Prosacia. I tried to put it under my eyes, but my eyes immediately started burning.
I'll post again on whether the L-lysine helps.
Thanks for all the tips!
Quick update:  I'm still taking the L-lysine and amazingly my eyes have continued to improve, my right eye is almost completely better except that the skin is still a little dry.  My left eye is no longer swollen and the red, lumpy area is now smooth and though it's still a little darker than it should be the redness is gone.  

It still looks quite wrinkly (I'm 21 and unimpressed by this) and feels tight but I'm hoping that moisturising it regularly will sort this out soon enough.  I've been using Elizabeth Arden Perpetual Moisture 24 Hour Cream and though it stings for a minute or two after I apply it, it seems to be helping.  Are there any other creams that people would recommend?

Also I don't eat gluten or dairy, when I first gave up gluten my eyes cleared up for a long time so I thought it was related to allergies but now it just happens for no apparent reason.  I'd love to know what it actually is!
I started to have the same problems in both of my eyes. The right one is worse than the left. I never had allergy problem nor any sort of skin problems. The red, bumpy, and itchy eye areas start after a very sad event happened to me. I cried a lot during that period of time, with the eye make up on, and very often fell asleep with tears and make up. I also had pancreatitis at the same period of time. After a week or so I started to have the problems. I first thought it was due to crying. But it has been about 2 months now - on and off. For me, I do not seem to have any other apparent causes. I think I will try Lysine as well. And for all of you, I checked out Lysine on Uniersity of Maryland Medical Center. The following is what it says. I think if the problem is caused by some sort of virus or fungus, Lysine is worth trying. Thank you for sharing.

Lysine, or L-lysine, is an essential amino acid, which means that it is necessary for human health but cannot be made by the body. For this reason, lysine must be obtained from food. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Lysine is important for proper growth, and it plays an essential role in the production of carnitine, a nutrient responsible for converting fatty acids into energy and helping to lower cholesterol. Lysine appears to help the body absorb and conserve calcium, and it plays an important role in the formation of collagen, a substance important for bones and connective tissues including skin, tendon, and cartilage.

If there is too little lysine in the diet, kidney stones and other health related problems may develop including fatigue, nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, agitation, bloodshot eyes, slow growth, anemia, and reproductive disorders. It is extremely rare, however, to obtain insufficient amounts of lysine through the diet. Generally, only vegetarians who follow a macrobiotic diet and certain athletes involved in frequent vigorous exercise are at risk for lysine deficiency. For vegetarians, legumes (beans, peas, and lentils) are the best sources of lysine.

Lysine is involved in the browning reaction, or carmelization, in foods such as pastries, doughnuts, cookies, and cereals. In this process, lysine and sugar become linked together in a way that makes lysine difficult for the body to absorb. As a result, a diet high in cereals and baked goods, especially those that contain a lot of simple sugars, can result in low lysine intake.
By Catherine423, Oct 15, 09

Thanks so much for all your comments.  I don't feel so isolated and alone now that I know there are others out there with the same problem.  I've had this problem for over a year now, and I am beginning to feel crazy because nothing has worked long term for me, and I've tried practically every lotion and cream I can find.  It's amazing how everyone's experience seem to mirror my own.  I'm going to see my dermatologist today and hoping he will prescribe Prednisone, which is a quick fix for me so I can feel normal for little while again.  I will try the Lysine tonight to see if it helps me, otherwise I will have to continue eliminating things from my house that I think may be a cause.  Thank you everyone for your comments, I don't feel so alone any more!
it is so good to hear everyone's stories.
I had no problem with my skin, acne or dryness, untill I had a severe case of the chicken pox when I was 18. I had a bad allergic reaction to a cream which caused my face to swell so  badly that I couldn't open my eyes.
Ever since, it seems like when the weather changes, my face begins to dry out, getting red and blochy, especially around the eyes.
I have tried several different creams, and even got rid of all my foundation last year because it seemed to trigger the problem. My face cleared up and I went to only wearing mascara and eyeliner. 2 weeks later it was back for no apparent reason.
I made an appointment with my dermatologist, but of course everything cleared up the day before the appointment, so she had no idea what I was talking about and said it might be a food allergy. I eat the same thing all the time....haven't gone back to her.
When I break out, any type of facial lotion seems to burn my skin. Up until a few months ago I was only using extra virgin olive oil and it seemed to be working. Then I got pregnant and the smell started making me sick.
My face broke out in the rash a few days ago and is not clearing up....hopefully I won't have to go through the whole winter this way.

Going to try aloe and vaseline. Hopefully it will do the trick.
Thanks guys!
UPDATE
I am still clear of any visible symptoms.  No redness, bumps, swelling, etc.  I am still trying to do the gluten free and eliminated the multi-vitamin that was suggested could be causing the problem.  I had another flare up a couple of weeks ago so eliminated the daily use of Metamusel thinking that it may also contain wheat for the fiber.  I did clear up again then.  If I forget my regular dose of L-lysine though, the itching starts back up within an hour or so and continues until i get my system restocked with the L-lysine.  I have gone to taking 3 tablets morning and evening; I couldn't remember the afternoon one so switched to 3 & 3 instead of 2, 2, & 2.  When I start to feel itchy or see a little redness i add in 2 more tablets in the afternoon as well and that has worked to eliminate the symptoms again right away!  I hope this helps some of you.  This is a very annoying problem and can drive you CRAZY.  Good luck to all.
I started taking lysine as 1&1&1. first week it was amazing (except redness) but i think viruses got used to it as they do with cortizone, now i got eye burning again. I may need to increase dosage. I'm afraid i will always need to do the same.

On another thread, someone said that his redness came from lack of vitamin d, as his eyes didn't take enough sun. So i'll give it a try too. If it does not help, my last chance will be Vitamin E.
It just ***** that nobody seems to know what causes it/what it is.  I am sick of being told I have blepharitis!  

When I was younger I had terrible acne and was actually prescribed the Pill to get rid of it which cleared it up within a few months.  My family then got a cat and I started to suffer from eczema around my mouth, neck and arms which cleared up when the cat died.  Weirdly enough I now have a huge hairy dog and a cat and the eczema hasn't returned and the problem with my eyes started long before I got them...  It's a total mystery to me!

It is good just knowing I'm not alone though.
Yeah I didn't swear I just said it "s u c k s"!  Oh well!
Sadly, I have to report that yesterday I woke up with the itching and redness and bumps under my right eye again.  It continues to get worse.  The only thing I can think of is that I had a grilled cheese sandwich on white bread on Thursday for lunch (first gluten in a week or more) and then I worked Sat./yesterday and had cookies and bars as well.  Now both eyes have the red, itchy, sore bumps and it is slowly creeping down my face.  I want to try to rebuild a resistance to gluten but I can't take this.  It is really sore and itchy.  I even upped my dose of L-lysine to 4-2-4 today to try to solve it.  I'll keep you posted.  Like complicatedmoonlight, I too had acne as a teen and it didn't get better till I went on the pill.  My daughters-3 teens- all have that problem as well and have gone gluten free which has helped them tremendously!  Perhaps I will have to get used to no more wheat products.  I'll see if that works but, as my hubby pointed out, even when I tried to be gluten free, I had another small break out.
This totally *****!!!!
So since my last post the problem had come back. However I have been free of it for 3 weeks now with no signs of it coming back and I think I know the reason. About 3 weeks ago I put hydrocortizone cream to get rid of it and completely stopped using the no name toilet paper I have been buying around my eyes (my boyfriends idea...I cry about everything therefore wipe my eyes alot). Since then I have been back to normal and feel great!
I am not saying this may be the problem for everyone. Everyone has their own things that work (eliminating something). I suggest find things that you commonly put around your eyes and weed them out one at a time.
Who knows maybe the no name tissue and toilet paper is someone else's problem!

Thought I would share because this forum has been a huge help to me with figuring out what may be causing the problem as well as just making me feel better to know that I am not alone! :) Thank you all!
I have been following this forum for about a month now as I have a similar problem  Over a year ago my eyelid developed a wrinkly dryness.  I went to the Optomotrist and she said I had dry eye and prescribed drops for the eye, she said dry eye affects the eyelid and surrounding areas.  Took them consistently, but the problem continued.  Went to an opthomologist who prescribed a cortisone cream.  Did not know at the time of the consequences of the cortisone, so continued to use it.  It kept returning so went back to a different Opthomologist who diagnosed me with Blepharitis.  He told me to do the hot wash etc, and said there was no cure, that I would have to control it.  I started thinking it was more to do with the skin surrounding the eye.  It is a strange type of condition, which also now becomes quite red and inflamed as well as dry and wrinkly.  Sometimes I have red spots around the corner of the eye.  By the way, this is my right eye.  I decided to see a dermatologist.  He has told me I have an allergy to something.  He prescribed Alidel which does helps when it returns.  It is not a cortisone cream and is quite safe.  I do have gel nails and he said I am probably touching my eye during the night and am allergic to that.  I have worn gloves to bed at night but seem to still have the problem.  I have tried to rule out all types of foods and all types of makeup but to no avail.  The Dermatologist has told me I need to do allergy tests which are quite involved and extremely costly and even then there may be nothing show up.  It is quite a depressing condition.  I have noted this problem does tend to come about after I have had wine.  I have also tried the Lysine.  I do find I have some relief with Egyptian Magic, which is quite moisturising and is helpful for dermatitis.  After having changed and stopped every bit of makeup, I now use COQ which is very good for allergies and ruled out all foods, I have resigned myself to the fact I have blepharitis.  All the symptoms seem to me to be similar.  There is a product which offers a permanent cure which is my last resort but also quite costly.  This whole thing has cost me a fortune without any results. I Will post any results on this forum
Correction, the name of the cream is Elidel which is for dermatitis and the face creams are QV by Ego and are very good for allergies, if anyone is interested.
Update.  I have been back to bad for a week now but this time I have another symptom: vaginal yeast infection.  I was suspecting that this may be some kind of reaction to gluten or processed sugars; these are some common causes of yeast infections.  I have also been battling athlete's foot.  I wonder if somehow my body is struggling with battling fungal infections.  I don't have the $ to go to a doctor and get a prescription for antifungal oral medication so I am trying to treat each area individually and avoid the gluten, but the sugar is a LOT HARDER for me.  For those who want to do the food allergy testing but don't have the $: we went through it with my son 16 years ago and the main concept is to eliminate all allergy causing foods (mainly eat rice and fresh veggies for 3 weeks to clean out your system), then every other day add in one new item, adding in tons of it in the first day to see if your system reacts in any way (redness, itching, stomach trouble, etc.).  Start with the main stuff: sugar, dairy, wheat, dyes, etc.  You could have multiple allergies so if you get a reaction, eliminate that item, clean out your system and add in other items without that one.  I am sure you can find more detailed instructions online by searching for allergy elimination diet.  Good luck all!!!!  We are in this together.
Hello ... It is so helpful to read all these posts. I have never had anything like this before and have never had any allergies of any sort, but in the last week or two I have woken up in the mornings with red welts - first just under one eye, but now more often under both. Today they burn and seem to be lasting longer. Also, last week I had a red rash on my neck. It has improved some and is not as noticeable, but I can still feel it when I touch my neck. I keep thinking, too, that soy, dairy and wheat are the culprits, and I agree, virtuesongs, that sugar may also be a factor. So, I am going to cut all this out -- wow, what's left .... meat, veggies and fruit, I guess. It is helpful to read everyone's posts. I will keep checking back and let you know if eliminating these foods is helpful or not. I know that last night I had a big bowl of cereal, which had wheat in it, before I went to bed, so that would also include sugar and dairy. How long does it typically take to have a reaction to something you eat? And why is it that this never develops during the day, but only when I wake up in the morning? The area below my right eyebrow also tends to get flaky and sore. I am going to buy all new makeup, and a new brand, as well. I always use Almay, as I have sensitive skin. Maybe I will go back to Neutrogena. Please keep the posts going ... Thank you!
I broke out with a rash underneath and on my eyelids.  I went to the doctor and he prescribed a cortisone cream.  It worked but the rash kept on coming back once I would stop using it.  I finally got tired and applied listerine with a q-tip underneath my eyes, at first it burned because my skin was raw, but it relieved the itching.  It's been 5 days now and no itching underneath my eyes, but I've still been applying the listerine twice a day, followed by an eye moisturizer.  Now I just got to get rid of the itching on my left eyelid.  I've also used listerine to cure toe nail and foot fungus.  It's a poor man's remedy, but it works.
I have had this for NINE LONG YEARS!!  Starts with red swelling around eyes and then burning (like sunburn) and then dry skin. Then the cycles starts all over again.  

Here are my stats.
I am 50 year old female
this started right after i was on Atkins diet for a few mos.
my eyes have aged incredibly.
no smoke
lately drink red wine
have eliminated everything from diet-no luck
Derm diagnosed with ecxema (SP)
use Locoid Lipocream for relief (and it helps a bit)
tried antifungal cream (and it helps a bit)
MD suggested allergies and to be tested (not done yet)
tears really burn my skin
I do not take vitamins
I shower daily
i do not wear makeup (i would love to, but don't want to push it)
i wash face daily with mild soap and that helps.
if i skip a shower, it appears to intensify the redness
i change pillows often and toss old ones
i have one dog-indoor.  However, i had this when my dog was an outdoor too.
i have lived in two climates-with out any change.
burns while using cleaning chemicals
lotion burns-but necessary due to dry skin

Diet
meat, veggies, from time to time sweets-but not a big fan
very mindful of chemicals etc.  do not eat lunchmeat etc.
alcohol-sometimes-ok lately more than before!
stress (heavy heavy stress-)

I thought this may be caused by hormone imbalance.  Now my 19 year old son has the same thing!  I have been tolerating it, now that he has it I am on a mission to find out what it is.

I wish i could give all of you some suggestions!  I imagine we have a deficiency in our diet.  

Does anyone take vitamins?  (and still have it?)

There is a type of herpes that affects only the eye. It is call herpes of the eye. And you never get rid of it however the problem comes and goes but once it goes once, it is usually mild after that. Look into this People. Dam Doctors! Bum steers. Did they smoke dope all through college?
Hey doc,,,
You say allergic reaction is one of the most important causes of eczema. And then list all these allergens. But you leave out polyester? Why?
Is this suppose to stay a secret?
If allergic reaction is one of the most important causes of eczema. And then list all these allergens, then doesn't it make sense that instead of being eczema, it is actually an allergic reaction?
Now we might be getting somewhere here.
I was told all my life I have a severe case of eczema by more than 10 doctors. They are not teaching you right in college! Because I never had eczema. it was a reaction to polyester and some other synthetics. And as soon as I stopped contact with them my skin turned nice like a newborn baby! But soon as I have some poly in my clothing it comes right back badly!
Allergens do not cause eczema! They are eczema. eczema doesn't exist. It is simply a name for the allergic reaction of the skin. Period.
And now because of all the doctors no one can get help because you all say eczema. And hide the fact that allergy to synthetics is the real and only issue here. While nothing makes this go away for any of them. You name one person who had a severe case of eczema, but it is never an issue for any more. None! Notta, null.
Don't worry doc. If people go on SSI or SSD when they all find out the truth it is okay. unemployment is more than 10% now. So these jobs can all be fill by people who tolerate it.
Because you know we all have allergy to them but most can tolerate it with little to no reaction!
Because it contains BPA. A toxic chemical outlawed in every other country but the usa. With the exception of california. No more can be put in latex made for small children. Not even in the baby bottles and nipples.
Face this fact. If BPA is toxic, and people react to it. How does the body single it out. It can't. It becomes allergic to whatever it is always in. BPA in polyester and you body becomes allergic to polyester. Because it thinks it is that and doesn't know it is the BPA in it.
And all the different types of reactions from these type of allergies are hidden.
They cause muscle aches, insomnia, rashes, dry skin, headaches, nervousness, biploar, panic attacks, anxiety, swelling, and others. Come on doc. Please let this cat out of the bag. You know it is true. or have some discussions with me so I can prove this to you and people do not have to suffer any more. If not, then this opportunity missed will mean that you had your chance and all the misery people have from here on is on your head.
i am also experiencing red soreness under the right eye, and what i find strange is the majority of comments are complaints of under the right eye is this coincidence? my soreness actually became worse since using clinique eye cream which was 2 months ago !!! im at a loss also and like everybody lse tried vasaline but to no avail.
Go see a doctor
OK,  I have eliminated white processed sugar and white processed flour, started a probiotic (from health food store) to get rid of the excess yeast in my body and everything cleared up for 3 or 4 days.  Then back with a vengeance and the worst ever!  My husband searched online and found that it could be a reaction to steroids!  He started on topical steroid creams for his psoriasis in mid to late June which I apply for him at night right before we go to bed.  I could be that I am having a reaction to that.  It says that even the slightest contact with the eyes could cause this reaction.  Site even has pics that look like what I have.  I don't know how to avoid this since it could be on pillows and sheets.  
A probiotic is a very important thing for the immune system. help to build the immune back up fro it being down. And often times when down, the immune get low on this agent. Thus you were given this. And it helped your immune to get stronger again and thus if you had ACD instead, your stronger immune was able to get on top of the allergy.
However the culprit will run you down again as it did before and thus again this allergen can attack you with success! So just because it helped. It may have helped only because it boosted your immune. And allergy is an immune disorder which wear you down, and can only affect you when your immune is low. But before you have a reaction, your immune must be dragged down by it first. And an allergy has no problem in dragging you down. I still say therefore, this may be an allergic reaction. And if so, it will feel worse when you have been tired. At night!
Hey, I am new to the site.  My 18 yr old daughter has this symptom.  She is also plagued by extremely chapped lips.  The eye thing is new.  Probably 2-3 months.  

She:
had guardasil vaccinations last summer
had the seasonal flu shot prior to eye event
drinks lots of bottled h20
dorms at college
eats lots of carbs
is overwieght
sleeps with a cpap
sleeps with down pillow
typically takes excellent care of her skin
takes the yaz bc pill
uses aquaphor on lips(but still chapped)
wears nail polish
takes vitamins
does not use make up
I changed to dreft detergent this week
we have baby kittens in the house that she sees on weekends
no energy
dizziness
ENT checked her out and said no sinus infections
she has been on/off antibiotics for sickness for 2.5 months (total of 5 weeks of antibiotic)

She is miserable and embarassed to say the least.

I am going to start her on the lysine today.

any other suggestions?
I have had this problem for about 7 months now. It goes away and comes back over and over again. It might never completely leave my system but I have found a way to keep the symptoms away. My mom had the same problem and she went to her doctor who prescribed her this ointment that works wonders on me as well: Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream.It is a steroid cream that treats excema. (Unfortunately it is only available by prescription). You have to wash your face every night and put it on the problem area(s) before you go to bed. Clean it off in the morning and then reapply. Lotion and put on makeup as usual. If you can, reapply once more during the day sometime, and then before you go to bed again. I got rid of my facial cleansers and bought the new Boots line from Target. Really inexpensive. I used the Expert Sensitive Gentle Cleansing Wash and the Expert Sensitive Cleansing and Toning Wipes. At first I thought it was an allergy, so I got rid of my concealer only (cause that was around the problem area the most), and bought an organic one from the Botanics line at Target. Do not use vaseline or petroleum jelly as it does not let your skin breathe and will make it worse. Aloe Vera gel works okay, but does not cure it, it just relieves the itching. Also, I tried hydro-cortizone cream and all it does is dry you out and irritate you further.
More info about above post:

You have to use it for about a week straight before you see some improvement. My mom and I are both sensitive to sunscreen as well (slightly allergic) but only around the eye area so if your concealer or eye cream has SPF in it, stop using it for a while and see if it gets better. Be diligent about changing your pillowcase every few days, at the most once a week. Mine has nothing to do with my diet as I have not changed my eating habits and it is fully disappeared just by doing the above things.
Just to let you know, from past experiences and what I have heard, steroid creams are cortizone creams and can be dangerous if used over long periods especially around the eye.  Elidel cream is not a cortizone cream and safe.  It is only available on prescription.  It should be used for at least 10 days.  
I am a man could I have gotten it from my wifes make up from pillow cases what make up are the culprits
That's what I meant about using it for a week straight. After that, you should stop using it and get re-checked by a doctor.
I have researched the Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream and it is not to be used around the eye area and you have recommended it to be used on the eye.  
I just had this red itchy spot start on my eyelid a couple of days ago. I have lupus so I fight topical yeast infections; but I can tell you this is not the same thing. I tried miconazole, omg, it made the itch worse. I am just putting polysporin on it and it relieves the itch and seems to have made the lump under it go down. Also, hydrogen peroxide does nothing.

The only change I have made is about a week ago I decided to try Grape Seed Oil on my face under my cream. Needless to say I have stopped using it. I eat right, take every vitamin and mineral known to man (exaggeration) as have not only lupus I also have the dry macular degeneration so I am working hard not to loose my eye site.

Thank you for the information about the L-lysine and the Reventin from Pure Valley. I have ordered both - got the L-lysine from Puritan Pride it is on sale right now so it is a great value.

Again thank you for the help and I will let you know how the stuff works and look forward to any other advice you all have on this problem.

I too have recently started to SUFFER with this. I have a red patch under each eye, worse on the right.  Looks like someone sucker punched me.. it's dry, scaly and flaky.  I do not wear a great deal of makeup ever, and always the hypo stuff.
This morning i've resorted to using penetin diaper cream to stop the scales.

I  think its an allergy, and looking back to anything that might have changed in my world, the only thing i can think of is NEW pillow cases we recently purchased. THey've been washed , but still smell of the dye... when i get home tonight I'm tossing them.   I work with the public and am tired of the sideways glances.. my poor hubby is getting them too because it does look like he belted me..

Has anyone tried L-lysine ointment? I had some in my cabinet and tried it last night today the redness is gone and so is the itching. Even though I have ordered the L-lysine and the Reventen I have not received them. So, the ointment is the only thing I have used besides the polysporin in the last 48 hours.

Will keep you posted
Hi everyone!!
Like many of you I thought I was the only one suffering from problem skin around my eyes, it feels good to know that I'm not the only one and I'm so glad I found this forum..! I know its bad to touch that area around the eyes but today my eyes were itching so bad that i HAD to rub them :((  it seems like its getting worse and worse. It depresses me that nothing really helps it go away for good only temporarily, I wish we found something that will make it go away overnight but I know that's impossible.
I started having dry, flaky skin on my lower lids about three years ago and went to see a dermatologist he prescribed me to some strong ointment (forgot the name of it) which did make it go away almost instantly so I used it for couple years. In the meantime I moved to a different state and soon ran out of that medication and went to see my new Dr. and showed her what I have been using, sadly she told me that this ointment will cause premature wrinkles which scared me and Im only 24! After that I started looking for only natural eye creams and gels, which i doubt will cause wrinkles but they don't seem to really help, in fact my skin got worse, now the whole area around my eyes is dry, itchy and red and I don't look attractive and look even older than my years :(( I DON:T KNOW WHAT TO DO!! Im so depressed, I know I sound like a whiny baby but Im so despaired. Before I had a really healthy skin on my face and around eyes, I always had ppl give me compliments on my big blue eyes but not now.. :( and on top of that i developed mild acne which doesn't make things better. Please someone HELP if you have any good advice or suggestions. I don't wear makeup, don't drink or smoke, eat healthy and never had any health problems.
Sorry for the ramble, I needed to share with all of you, who I know, will understand me.
Wish you all to find whatever works for you, good luck!! :))
I have had this same problem for 5 years and it does come back once or twice a year..  Here are some suggestions.
*drink lots of water
*consume flax seed oil or seeds
*fish is good because of the Zinc also helps boost elastin (the skin's elastic protein) production with the help of vitamin C.
*fruits and veggies

I have found the lotion Eucerin to be soothing also at night I use Bausch & Lomb dry eye cream.

Avocados
This creamy, green fruit is abundant in essential oils and B-complex vitamins that nourish your skin, inside and out.
Blend half an avocado with yogurt and frozen berries to make a creamy, nutty-flavored morning smoothie. And keep reading for a great avocado face-mask recipe that will solve your dry skin problems instantly. And for more dry skin solutions, click here.

Honey and Egg Facial Mask for Dry Skin

While honey is a natural astringent, it will also moisturize your dry skin.

Separate the yolk from one egg. (You can use the rest for a light, egg white omelet.) Mix the egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of honey, and stir the mixture until smooth. Leave on for ten to fifteen minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
Also eating lots of fruit.  Blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and plums. The common link between these four foods is their high antioxidant content. In a study recently published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, these four fruits weighed in with the highest "total antioxidant capacity" of any food. The benefits of these foods for healthy skin are plentiful.
Avocados
Blend half an avocado with yogurt and frozen berries to make a creamy, nutty-flavored morning smoothie. And keep reading for a great avocado face-mask recipe that will solve your dry skin problems instantly.

Avocado and Yogurt Facial Mask for Dry Skin

Avocado, which contains vitamin E, as well as other natural oils, is a great moisturizer for dry skin.

Place a ripe avocado, peeled and seeded, in a blender or food processor with four tablespoons of plain yogurt. Blend until smooth. Apply the mixture to your face, avoiding the eye area. Leave on for ten to fifteen minutes, and then rinse your face with warm water.

Banana and Yogurt Facial Mask for Dry Skin

The yogurt will not only hydrate and soften your dry skin, it will also exfoliate your skin, removing dead skin cells.

Peel one banana. Place half of it in a bowl. (You can eat the other half.) Mash the banana with a fork. Add four tablespoons of plain yogurt to the banana, and stir the mixture until smooth. Apply to your face and leave on for ten to fifteen, then rinse off with warm water.

I do not think that there is a cure out there for this but at least maybe these suggestions will help.

I have had this same condition since about 1992!  I have been using steroid creams for a very long time.  This year my vision changed quite a bit and I'm desperate to get off the creams.  I feel most aligned with the theories of ph balance, dry skin/eczema, candida, gluten and lysine.  I definitely have flare-ups with alcohol.  I have stopped coffee and still have the problem.  The doctors definitely do not seem to know how to cure it.  Mine told me I would have to get a biopsy to get a true 'diagnosis', which I may be finally willing to do if diet changes do not get rid of it.  I have fair skin, don't use MAC make-up, didn't wear mascara or contact lens for years, thinking they might be the problems. The rash also flares up when I get too much sun.  It would be a wonderful thing to figure this out.  Thanks to everyone for their comments.
In May this year, I had my first outbreak of the same symptoms everyone has been describing: red, swollen, dry, itchy welts under my eyes.  Usually it is only under the left eye.  It comes and goes and seems to be activated by red sauce and wine.  For the last 2 months I've had no wine or red sauce and did not have an outbreak.  However, just a few days ago I drank 1 small glass of white wine with dinner and the very next morning, it looked like I had been punched in the face.  An outbreak lasts about a week and the only thing that seems to soothe it is vaseline.  It seems like it just has to run its course once it get started.  I'm glad I'm not the only one and will try the Lysine treatment to see if that helps.
Hi,  I can't imagine how bad this must be for all of you. I have some exzema (eczema) that can't heal up on my legs because I love to scratch and itch and it's totally awful for me, but at least I can hide them. I've had exzema (eczema) in other areas too. It's a fancy word for reaction - with me, behind the knees and legs after I shave and not "cream-up" and the water heat and maybe bodywashes combined with the dry skin makes me break out.  I've had it between my fingers so bad, and people say stress, but I work and do so many different things that I can't pinpoint.  And this is where my under-eye problem comes from. At least for me. Hopefully, because now I can stop it.

So I googled it asap so I can try to stop it before it gets worse a few weeks ago and found this forum, read through everything and it seems like every time somebody tries something that works, it doesn't after a few days. And here people are trying to figure out what's in common, but perhaps it's different with all of us.  Maybe our under eyes are reacting to many different things.   Mine definitely broke out in little itchy pimples, similar to a skin reaction or exzema (eczema), the area got dried and it just started to get worse.

Mine didn't get as bad as I've read here, and after reading all this, I washed my eyes immediately and douced my surrounding eye skin in vaseline and over 2-3 days, avoided touching my under eye and it cleared up and hasn't came back, yet. Fingers crossed.  I've been wearing my makeup too since then and still not removing it at night (I never usually did, I'm bad).

So here's why I react and hopefully it helps some of you. Now I rarely wash under my eyes unconsciously as I don't want to get soap in my eyes.  Then I itch at my exzema (eczema) I was talking about that is trying to heal with a high-dose steriod cream.  I don't wash my hands or it doesn't all come off from under the nail.  Ten minutes later, 3 hrs later, whenever, I then scratch or rub under my eye.  I don't think about it or notice.  Now I do. But maybe I've touched other things too and wasn't aware - my pets, my soap, my detergent, my pillow case, my sleeve, other chemicals. Some people said nail polish. Or I do wash but then I use my keyboard, tv remote, towel, faucet, toilet flusher, fridge, stove or door knobs, that has accumulated all of these different chemicals all over them, maybe reacting even.  Then I don't thoroughly wash under my eye again.  And there's the buildup.  Maybe even from the soap you use.  And since I've become aware of when I touch my eye, and stopped, combined with the vaseline for the first few days, I've stopped reacting. I'm using Aveno now.

And maybe it is food related for some of you, but I've also read that some of you do have ezxema and so maybe some of you use steroid creams and like to itch.  And maybe even just touching certain types of food or pills can cause this reaction as some have said vitamins.  But seems weird to only react in one area if there's an allergy related to food or supplements.  There should be other symptoms. A while ago I remember reading to throw out mascara over 3 months because of bacterial growth, so maybe that too. I never have, mine lasts probably 6 months or more so that wasn't it for me.

Let me know if this sounds similar to anybody    
I just read a few additional newer comments since I went through this forum the first time and maybe our eyes react to these things as well by touch:

*sunblock
*alcohol or maybe when we drink we touch our under-eyes more and aren't aware of it

Aveeno has an anti-itch cream you might be able to use for the itch instead of steroids for under the eye as maybe that's making it worse.  Even doucing it in vaseline should help relieve the itch.   They work with and help prevent my exzema (eczema) flare-ups elsewhere.

All the best :)
I have had this problem for about 9 years. It started when I was in college and I am now 29 years old. It has gradually become worse over the time I've been dealing with it. The last year or so I have been lucky if I get a week or two break between breakouts. I have always had allergies so that's what I have always thought it was. I have been to my allergist and a dermatologist and neither have been very helpful. This is what I have learned though....

A burst of steroids for a week works to clear it up, but it will always come back.

I was tested for allergies when I was little, but re-did the back test a few years ago to try to get to the bottom of the problem. I didn't really have a severe reaction to anything in that test. I had a slight reaction to Polyquanternium and Formaldehyde.
Polyquanternium or Quanternium is in pretty much anything with a scent. So I have eliminated all scented items from my bathroom. I use Vanicream soap and facial cream. I use Free and Clear shampoo and conditioner. I have eliminated scented lotions and perfumes. I don't wear makeup often, but I have switched to Almay because the doctor said it was one of the better ones for having less fragrances. All my makeup is Almay now.

I have also just recently started using Tide Free detergent to wash my clothing and sheets, but I am still having the reaction. I also wash my pillow cases and pillows often in hot water.

My doctor also suggested using Benadryl at night, but I don't notice that it helps much and it makes me super tired in the morning. I don't travel often, but when I do, I bring my own pillow in hopes that I can avoid a breakout... I still usually get it.

I don't smoke.
I am only a social drinker, so I don't drink often.
I have allergies, mostly to things in nature like pollens, molds, cats, etc.
I have had eczema on my elbows only.  
I have a dog, but I started having the problem well before we got him.
I live in a house that is only 4 years old. My environments have changed, but the problem has still remained.
I even thought it might be something my husband uses, but I started having the problem before I met him too!

I am going to go buy Lysine tonight and see if I have any luck with that. The yeast theory is interesting too, might look into that. I haven't ever tried to make changes to my diet.

Any help would be appreciated. I would really love to feel pretty again! : )

Don't believe everything you read on the internet! My doctor prescribed it to me especially for that, but did say that after 7-10 days to stop using it because it is dangerous after prolonged use...  That may be to what they are referring.

To everyone else:
After finishing up the week on the medication, I have been using this Organic Face Super Balm by the Boots Botanics line at Target and it is working wonders. I use it twice a day under my makeup (especially at night). The excema has not come back!  
Hi - I have just stumbled onto this website and was quite surprised to the similarities to my complaint. I too have the red welts under the eyes as well as the itchy soreness on the eye lids (the wrinkles on the lids is an added extra.) I have always had sensitive skin but for my age free of age related wrinkles so as you would image not happy with this condition. This is only the second time it has appeared in the last 10 years, the first problem was found to be caused by an eye make up remover which was quickly thrown away. This was discovered by my then dermatologist - his moto, to use a product with the least amount of ingredients. i.e. Cetaphil as an all purpose make up remover and cleanser. I have also recently discovered i suffer from eczema and have managed to stabilize with plenty of moisturiser and a change of diet.Have had the blood allergy tests to find out i am allergic to wheat, rye, mould and cats. Have always had cats but am very careful not to touch my face after contact. I have managed to stop the itchy feeling around the eye by using an Aloe Vera Gel - have also just started taking the L-Lysine tablets. For your info: i never use soap on my face, only slight makeup and definitely no eye makeup, like a couple of glasses of wine at night and have more or less gone with the Gluten Free products.Hope this helps and will keep you posted as to the L-lysine.
Hello all,
I am a qualified Naturopath (currently not practising), with Western medical training in clinical diagnosis, living in Australia. I too have this itchy, swollen and flakey eye problem, and I too thought I was on my own until I read this forum, so thank you all for participating in this very interesting discussion.
After reading through everyone's comments, profiles, symptom picture and history, I have developed a bit of a theory which I'd like to share with you:
It seems likely to me that there are two common and related threads - 1) lowered immunity (either from stress, anxiety, depression, or from an unrelated viral or bacterial infection); and 2) contact allergic reaction (either makeup, corticosteroid creams, or various other topically applied substances - and, in some cases, possibly pollens or other evironmental allergens like cats, dogs, ferrets, etc).
In my case I believe it started when I had a prolonged and particularly nasty cold which made my right eye water a lot, I've been going through a fair bit of stress, and then I used a corticosteroid cream for a rash under my arms and possibly rubbed a bit accidentally in my right eye.
So, what do I recommend?... And needless to say this is the approach I will be taking.
1) remove all possible sources of contact allergy (steroid creams, makeup, face-washes, etc), and resist the temptation to apply lots of 'soothing' lotions, even like aloe vera. Unless you have an aloe vera plant from which you can obtain the pure substance, most commercially produced creams, gels, etc have preservatives and colours in them which will just exacerbate the problem;
2) Wash only with very simple, gentle products (personally, I think the best alternative to soaps, in drastic situations such as these, is a cup of rolled oats wrapped in a clean muslin cloth or similar, tied at the top to hold the oats, and used as a sort of sponge to wash with. You'll find that the oats exude a lovely demulcent, creamy liquid when immersed in warm water, which is very soothing);
3) For immediate relief of symptoms, gently ice the area with a couple of ice cubes wrapped in a clean face-cloth, and I am also taking 'Polarimine' antihistamines just to stave off the itching short-term;
4) - And this is particularly significant for those with Candida infections or who suspect they have very lowered immunity - Take a really good probiotic supplement in large doses. These can be found in the refrigerator of your health food store, but take some time to research the best one available to you. Enterically coated ones are often best. Don't buy anything that's not refrigerated.
Finally, I just want to add that I thought the lysine suggestion was interesting, and I know this is used to stave off herpes infections, but I'm not entirely convinced it would be applicable in this situation. It doesn't seem like a viral infection to me, although as I've mentioned I think it might be associated with a viral infection in many cases. Taking individual amino acids in high doses is generally a bad idea because they compete with the aborption of other essential amino acids and you can end up with other problems associated with amino acid deficiencies.
Hope this has been helpful. I will report back with my personal successes or failures with this condition.
Hello all,
It seems likely to me that there are two common threads - 1) lowered immunity (either from stress, anxiety, depression, or from an unrelated viral or bacterial infection); and 2) contact allergic reaction (either the Mac makeup, the corticosteroid creams, or various other topically applied substances - and, in some cases, possibly pollens or other evironmental allergens like cats, dogs, ferrets, etc).
I have had this going on sporadically most of my adult life - 52 here. I get itchy eyes with peely skin and small bumps. What works for me is Lotrimin AF - it's an antifungal cream.  Over the counter. Takes care of the itch and swollenness. Use for a few days and it's gone.
I am a home daycare provider and use this on my babies when they are teething and get horrible diaper rash. Some how your PH balance changes and this condition is a result of that. This reaction is some sort of topical yeast infection .I tried this on the skin around my eyes and it worked. Not sure what is causing my PH balance to be wacked but I get this a couple times a year and this takes care of it. Maybe this will help you.
Yes! Thanks, Kimmergal, I agree with you. After a bit more pondering on the problem since my last posting, I've decided it's a fungal infection. I realised that the connection with corticosteroid creams may not be the creams themselves, but what they are being applied to; in my case it was a mysterious rash under my arms. Now I've realised that, much as I'd like to deny it, the rash is a fungal infection. I've obviously been scratching at the rash, and then touching my eye. My theory about lowered immunity still stands, and also about breaking the integrity of the skin around the eyes, eg. from wiping away lots of tears or scratching at an insect bite. I am now applying Manuka honey to my eyelids (the swelling spread to the left eye yesterday morning) and also trying to expose them to sunlight (sunlight kills fungus). Manuka honey is a bit of an Australia/New Zealand thing I guess, but you should be able to get it in the US or UK too. It's a natural anti-fungal (and anti-bacterial), and is very gentle on the skin. Yes, it does feel pretty odd having honey all over your eyes, but it doesn't get in your eyes as it's quite solid and it really relieves the itching. I've been applying it yesterday and today whilst being at home, and I put it on at night and covered it with gauze. Tomorrow I go to work so I'll have to see how things go without the honey for a day. Will apply it tonight. I will report back. So far the swelling and redness have reduced substantially, even just after two days of non-continuous application.
Ohh crap, I have the same as all of you for about 6 weeks now. I'm getting married in May and I'm freaking out b/c I feel like I've aged so much with the wrinkles and puffiness. I've been using vaseline which makes the symptoms tolerable. Going to try thr Lysine. Thanks for the helpful tips!
Update:  I actually had success for a week.  I went completely alcohol free, sugar free and gluten free, kept taking the L-lysine tablets 4 in am and pm, took a probiotic and antihistimine in pm as well, and Aquaphor lotion applied all day long and liberally before bed.  Strangely enough it was during the highest stress time of my life (going to visit my family that I haven't seen in 13 years and leaving my sick hubby and kids at home for Christmas).  The last day was my parents' 50th anniversary party so I didn't  put on the Aquaphor cream as it is very greasy looking and I didn't want to look greasy.  By that evening I was starting to itch and by the next night, after flying home all day, I was beginning to get the bumps back, even though I had kept reapplying the Aquaphor all day.  Now I am itchy all the time, even with the Aquaphor on, and the redness is coming back with a vengeance.  I don't seem to have a vaginal yeast infection but I'm worried that's coming back as well.  I have run out of the L-lysine but everything came back while I was on it and off of all the sugar, alcohol, gluten, etc.  I am frustrated but recently saw a Lysine cream at our food co-op and think I may try that.  The other organic options look good so I will try some of your ideas and see what happens.  Unfortunately, money is a problem so I am limited by fundage.  
Trust me gang - it's a fungal infection.
It doesn't behave like allergies and it doesn't behave like a virus (unless you are unfortunate enough to have a herpes infection in one eye, which is reasonably unlikely unless you have some reason to suspect this). An allergy or a non-localised viral infection would not start in one eye and spread to another (or to the bridge of the nose as some have experienced). The more I thought about it, the more I realised that this is the behaviour of a fungal infection. Also, the way the skin becomes discoloured and kind of shiny, hard and wrinkly, and then flakes - this is characteristic of a fungal infection.
So! While you probably all think I'm mad for putting honey on my eyelids, if you have access to high-UMF Manuka honey, I can highly recommend it. Otherwise you may have to resort to a pharmaceutical anti-fungal cream. Two days and two nights of putting the Manuka honey on my eyelids and underneath my eyes (gauze over the top at night to stop the honey going all over my pillow) and it is almost entirely gone. I'm anticipating it will have cleared up in the morning.
Back again on an update on the L-Lysine tablets. Things are certainly picking up this end. Have taken the tablets 2 x 2 x 2 for three days and down to 2 x 2 from no on. Don't intend on using the whole bottle but might run till the end of the week. I must admit it was not the only thing i was using so may make it hard to know which is actually doing the job. I also do not rule out that it may have been a fungal infection (anything is possible) it is curious that there are a lot of eczema suffers amongst us. I did use a mild cortisone cream which was prescribed for the times I break out with eczema on my face, just put a little under my eye where it was puffy and around the outside of the eyelid.

I may have mentioned Aloe Vera Gel, not sure whether that was correct. It could have been  a green tea eye gel (which i am currently using), find this one refreshing and putting a bit of moisture back in the skin.

I do take vitamins, a few to mention would be fish oil, evening primrose and zinc.

For the people with the eczema not necessarily on their face i can recommend Cetaphil as a good moisturising cream for the legs and body. I have managed to restrict mine from the legs, arms, chest and elbows to just the hands and slightly on the face. For my face i use Moogoo MSM Cream and also their hair products (you can www it if your interested.

I am not advising you use any of these products that i have mentioned (everyone's cure may be different) but if it can help just one person it would be worth it.

Cheers for now
i've research all kinds of things like this for 7 yrs
a few answers i've found:
We are a s a people becoming more toxic and fungal and bacterial than ever before.
As life goes on this will happen - unless we cleanse and detox our planet and our life.

NO: Sugar, yeast, bread, milk, alcahol (alcohol) (only red wines and spirits possibly)
YES: Good quality proteins, plants, veg, fruits (don't mix meats with carbs in a single meal)
Cut down: Carbohydrates

Look into - Spirinula - Colloidal Silvr - L-Glutamine - Grape seed extract
breathing exercises - meditation - exericse - saunas

the above is the only sure fire methods iv'e looked into after 7 yrs of fumbling
I think you are on to something.  I have researched Tinia Faciei and that is EXACTLY what I have!  

So now, we need to find the Manuka honey.

btw, if you have this horrible condition, google tinia faciei and see if the pictures look close to your condition.  mine do.

My daughter has a fungal spot and so I"m wondering too if it spread to cause my under-eye reaction. I've stopped touching my under-eyes and I'm still in the clear. But I don't have any fungal infections anywhere else, even from touching her and my reaction cleared up with the use of vaseline over 2 days. Maybe our under eyes are just more susceptible and maybe my reaction wasn't bad enough for vaseline to not work.  But it definitely did look fungal too.
Greetings from Chicago...boy, am I happy to know that I'm not the only person suffering from this condition!  About a month ago when I was visiting my sister for Christmas, I woke up one morning and looked like someone had punched my left eye (right eye looked slightly better).  Red, very dry, scaly, slightly itchy skin under each eye.  Bad for a few days, then seemed to go away, although the skin under each eye seemed thinner, still flaked a little, and was even a little shiny.  In the past month, this has cropped up several times for several days and it's driving me crazy, especially because I have never had an allergic reaction to anything, but also because I haven't changed anything in my routine.  The only change was a skin product I tried for only a few days right before this started, Skinceuticals brand Eye Balm.  So I'm wondering if I'm allergic to something in that product (I stopped using it as soon as I woke up with this problem the first day), but one would think that by stopping use of that product that my skin would return to normal.  

I'm going to see an Allergist and a Dermatologist early next week.  If I find out anything that can help, I'll post it here.  Thanks to all of you for your past posts, very helpful info, but also very helpful to know there is a community of people experiencing the same symptoms who can support and help each other!
Mine was a fungus....my story~my cure!

Thinking back on it, I recalled going to the DR. in 1995 about a patch of red, dry skin above my eye.  He prescribed cortisone.  it helped, but i still had the condition.

over the years, it got worse. (swollen eye lids and dry patches of skin that spread.)  I went to numerous allergists, dermatologists and DR.  Everyone told my pretty much the same thing.  Allergies.  I got tested and nothing showed.  I avoided foods that i thought may trigger an outbreak. no luck.  A dermatologist told me it was something i had to live with...excema.

mine started with a flare up, which felt like sun burn and the area was swollen.  up to three days later, it was peeling.  The cycle went on and on.  It is a painful condition.  My eyes got wrinkled...not pretty.

A week ago, I started treating it for fungus.  it is responding to this treatment.  Finally, i have relief.  my eyes are no longer swollen.  my kids, who are 18 and 20, have never seen my eyes looking normal!  

i am treating it homeopathic. both systemic and topical.  i feel so much better, i cannot believe that i tolerated this for so long!  my skin is no longer thin....which i thought was due to age.  i no longer itch.  i also had athletes foot and that is gone too.  

this is not an allergy.  it is a fungus.  good luck to all!

Can you please tell us what you used.
I am a 60 year old female and developed the same condition about 3 weeks ago - I woke up looking like I'd been punched in eye. Right eye much worse than left. Now doesn't have the bruised look but is red and scaly under both eyes and sometimes sore and sometimes itchy. The doctor gave me steroid cream which I used for a week but which seemed to make it worse so I've stopped using it. I've been under a lot of stress this year but also feel that it could be a fungal infection.

I had the same thing about 18 years ago and it just went  after a few weeks. Interestingly it occurred at exactly the same time of year - i.e. just after Christmas - too much alcohol or, more likely - too many chocolates?

I don't have any suggestions but am grateful for other people's ideas and will try the l lysine and anti fungal ideas.

Thank you
A little more than a week ago I started applying aloe vera gel every night around my eyes and sometimes even in the morning (less amount because its really shiny) and I noticed a major improvement! The itchiness went away and the skin overall looks A LOT better, no more red or rashy. I know that aloe vera is helpful on fungal infections and dry skin so whatever was my case  I'm so glad I found something that works! Good luck everyone:)
p.s. mine is 99% aloe gel which I purchased at Whole Foods.
Hi - its been 2 weeks since i last spoke. My eyes have improved quite remarkably but only in the last few days. I did end up using the Manuka Honey (actually something similiar called Medihoney) comes in a tube and is a antibacterial wound gel. Another one which was given by NatAust was coloidal silver which i used as an eye wash  morning and night. Great stuff and has many uses. I do believe it was a fungal thing but not sure how i came about getting it.
I'm not saying i'm out of the woods yet but at least i don't look like i've had a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson. I did find some antibiotics which were for a spider bite - had 6 left and used them - didn't do any harm. All i hope that the darn thing doesn't come back.
Where i live is pretty well in the middle of a heat wave so i can put that down to some of my problem as far the eczema goes.
Might use a dab of vasaline tonight - trying to get away from all the creams etc.

Will come back again.
Cheers
Update!  I'm happy to report that the skin under my eyes is improving quickly after my visit to the Dermatologist.  When he first looked at the skin, he thought it was Ezcema (eczema), until he looked at my scalp and the skin behind my ears.  He then changed his diagnosis to Sebhorreic Dermatitis for all areas and prescribed a few things:

-He told me that I need to wash my hair every day for the rest of my life with a shampoo that is made specifically to combat Sebhorreic Dermatitis and then apply drops of Betamethasone Valerate Lotion (prescription) to my scalp after getting out of the shower.  Told me that if I do this, it will control the spread of the dermatitis to other parts of my body.

-For my eyes, he prescribed Fluocinolone Acetonide ointment that I need to apply to skin under my eyes twice a day for 5-7 days.  I've used this for two days now and the skin under my eyes is no longer red, itchy and dry, the scaly flakes have disappeared and the skin is soft again.

So for what it's worth...you may want to visit a Dermatologist and inquire about Sebhorreic Dermatitis, I'm much happier now!

Good luck to all ~ Sarah

I finally got rid of this rash under my eyes about a month ago.  I kept on trying to figure out what brought it on all of the sudden.  I wondered what I had changed in my diet that brought it on.  Then I remembered, about two weeks after I started putting cinnamon in my coffee, both morning and evening, I broke out with this rash.  I wanted to test that theory, so I stopped using cinnamon completely.  About a day or two after I stopped, the rash went away and no more itching since.  I read that too much cinnamon could have a negative effect on a person's liver.  Also if your liver enzymes are elevated, it could cause a rash.  
I'm now convinced it's a fungal infection. But can anyone explain why it only effects the under eye region?
Why are you convinced?  Have you found a cure?  If so, can you let us know!!!
Back again and had a hell of a bad week-end. The puffyness under my eye is ok but the actual eye lids themselves have been dry, red and flacky. Gone back to the l-lysine tablets and have also incorporated "Fusion" allergy tablets. Will still spray my eyes about three times a day with colloidal silver to get some moisture back in the eyelids. Whatever i tried to put on them it still made me want to scratch.Today is probably the best they have been since last week - just in time to go back to work.
I must admit the right eye would be worse than the left with still some of those wrinkles which i'd rather not see again.
Have gone back to not having wine, trying to keep the acid level down a bit. Not impressed with all the aditives they put in things these days especially when you have to contend with a fairly bland gluten free diet.
I have had the same problem you have all been describing for years (since my junior year of college-so 4 years). It went away for half a year. Then came back last week! I think it can be triggered by several things:
stress
lack of sleep
rubbing my eyes
food possibly? (cant figure out what)
allergies

The thing I have pinpointed the most are possibly soaps/moisturizers I use that when combined with one of the above trigger the swelling/itchy/dry/peeling around my eyes, nose and mouth. I used to use  a really expensive SPF eyemoisuritzer (35 dollars for a few ounces) that was for sensitive skin from ULTA. My problems went away for a few months! I ran out and got a neutrogena moisturizer at walmart...and now my eczema/rosatia is back again. :[
Not sure how many of you will take my view on this, but oh well.
You will not find a cure for this. I am a man, never ever used makeup, have not used alcohol or anything else you all have described. I too have the same issue since about 6-7 months ago. It eases off then comes back worse and in more areas than it began. I have had many premonitions surrounding an 11:11 clock issue that became noticeable to me around the same time I noticed this new uncommon medical condition.
I do not expect many to believe this, but I found this site also with one of my premonitions to look for an answer with the eye issue today. Time for a shocker for many, not for me anymore. After reading several posts I was visioned to my answer....drum roll and scare for many...
Would you believe DNA changes? DNA mutates for many reasons as I have become aware of with my 11 premonitions from many sources. DNA shifts come natural but can be forced as well. Each time you become sick of any type, the body makes minute DNA changes to fight what made you ill. Any attack on the body can produce a DNA change. Even without that factor, man's DNA has been changing since early 1950s and continues to do so in alive humans and more noticeable in newborns. Many have a drastic change in DNA than was ever believed.
There are many studies on this issue alone. DNA is checked now world wide to monitor the vast new changes in our structure. They say we are changing, but into what and why no one has given an answer. Supposed this shift in DNA will be complete some time in 2012 from what science has been checking. Either they know and wont say, or don't know for sure. But we changing, that is a fact.
Once I came here today looking for my own male flaky/scaly peeling skin under the eyes and seeing so many with no answers either, I was prompted DNA shift. Genetic Mutations. No methods of medicine will fix.
I am no doctor, scholar, only somehow have been given an inner vision  with my 11 prompts recent. Again reading here and seeing no answers (other sites reflecting the same as here), I was prompted to those issues  I listed above and I know there is nothing you will find to resolve this. Either it is a natural change, or a created one design of man or nature or toxicity we all are in contact with daily. Foods, water, air we breath all can be possible factors common to all man or woman and not a certain area(foods or air seeing as water is mainly from your direct area).
May not be helpful or factual, but I was prompted with those issues and will no longer look for a reason I have no control or fix for.
Good Luck to all with this and the many more issues you will be facing soon. Keep your eyes open to all avenues when looking for answers. LOL @ the keep your eyes open. Interesting indeed.

Who ever took my name you can not be me.
I am InfeRnaL aka ][nfeRnaL
One last note I failed to mention above. Some of the posts do have the why its happening but not the full.  It is a fungus, a spore, a mold, anything you can find under that area if you will, Fungus is the best for now. Some how many of us have been triggered to be more susceptible to catching a fungus. Fungus can attack from contact of the spores or air born. Many things can be used to fight fungus(old was ginseng I think), but in the end all will end up failing as a tolerance will build to anything used. It still falls back to so many now getting this that something has changed inside us. Genetic alteration, mutation.... I don't care what you wish to call it but a change happened to have so many now face same issues.
New to this group but thanks for all your input.  I've had a weird dried and red eyelid situation--mainly in the inside corners of my eye for a few years and didnt know what it was until I was diagnosed with some food allergies last year.  Eggs, turmeric and Cow-based dairy are my big culprets and when I indulge in one, within a day or two my eyelids dry out and become extremely senstive.  The dark bags under my eyes get darker too...and it ***** because when I really need under eye cover, I can't wear it because it makes me look 10 years older.  

I went to a naturopath and had a simple blood test to determine my allergies.  If you havent had this done, I recommend it.

I have been suffering from the same burning red circles under my eyes on and off for about a year. It seriously drives me crazy! I thought it was an allergy but I'm convinced it has something to do with stress and my diet as none of the creams I've been prescribed seem to have worked. (Hydrocortisone, Aqueus - many more i can't remember names of)

I started to have symptoms in my final year of university (I am a person who is prone to stress and even mild depression.) I am convinced my state of mind has a lot to do with my problem. I also have a pretty rubbish diet being a student who lives by herself, which I'm trying to change. However my skin problems are more than just red eyes, I get excruciating heat rash all over my body from doing the smallest bit of exercise and have itchy dry skin all over my upper body (esp on my neck and back)

The only other thing which might have caused the changes to my skin were getting into a relationship with a new partner. I wonder how many of you had this change whilst this happened to you. Therefore the eye herpes theory seems interesting as this change in my skin feels like a vicious unstoppable attack, exactly like a virus. I also started on the pill shortly after the first eye symptoms and wonder whether some of the problem could be attributed to a hormonal imbalance.

I can't thank you all enough - I thought I was the only one.
In my last post I said that the L-lysine had cleared up the problem and things were back to normal.  Over the last two months it came back worse than ever and no amount of L-lysine seemed to help.

I looked up tinea faciei and it looks just like what I have, I'm so glad I finally have a name for it!  Yesterday I bought some manuka honey (UMF 15+) and smeared it around my eyes last night.  This morning a considerable amount of the redness has faded away and what is left is no longer raised and angry looking.  

Before I tried the manuka honey, I looked up the main ingredients in the medication for tinea faciei and realised one of them was the same as the stuff in Diflucan, the one off tablet for thrush.  It was £10 but I went for it anyway and it didn't help at all, in fact my eye was worse the next day (though surely not as a result of the tablet).  Can anyone recommend a tablet that actually works/helps?

Just to update everyone, I've been smearing the manuka honey around my eyes for the past 2 nights and the redness/scabs etc have almost completely cleared up!  Yay!
I looked up tinea faciei and I definitely dont have that.  The skin below my eye gets super dry and sensitive, as does the inside third of my eyelid, towards the bridge of my nose.  I'm pretty certain its caused by food allergies but I've found that taking oregano oil capsules reduces the inflammation substantially.  It made it go away this last time so I'll report back if it works again.
Wow! I'm amazed at the number of people who seem to be suffering from the same problem I am! Mine started back in December (I think) as just skin that was flaky & peeled beneath my eyes. I assumed it was just dry & applied lotion as usual. Then the skin started itching, becoming red & swelling too. Any type of lotion I tried to put on it burned. When I couldn't stand the itching, I rubbed them, which of course only made it worse! Sometimes it seemed like there were little sores, probably from the extreme rubbing. Of course I look horrible, like I've been punched in the face a few times. Besides being uncomfortable & painful, it is really very embarrassing too. I tried a cortisone cream hoping to help with the itching & flaking & after reading all these posts, I now know why my eyes looked way more wrinkled than they should since I'm only 33!! After reading the advice here I've decided to try the L-lysine tablets as well as the lotrimin af cream.

The only change in my environment that I can think of is that I bought new goose down pillows. I had them for a month or two. My mom had a similar eye problem last year & got rid of her feather mattress cover & her problem cleared up. I'm hoping the same thing will happen for me but it's been a month since I've ditched the feather pillows & there's been no improvement. I will note that I've always had a feather pillow so I can only guess there was something about these new ones that was different. I do suffer from outdoor type allergies but they don't cause anything like this. I also have cats & a dog but have owned them for over 10 yrs. I don't smoke, don't drink but love sugar:) Things I've tried are cortisone cream, aveeno baby cream & aquaphor. The Aquaphor does help with the itching but don't the redness & hasn't seemed to cure the problem.

Where can I find the Manuka Honey or Medihoney that was mentioned in earlier posts? Thanks all for your help & hope we all find something that works!
I have researched this for years, and if you look back and read my posts you will see my findings of Tinia Faciei

HERE IS MY PROGRESS!!!

I googled Tinia Faciei and found that Clotrimazole 1% was suggested for treatment.  I have been treating my face and a thumb nail!  I have found relief!!!  I put a very light cream on two times a day.  I spoke to a pharmacist about using this, and he said be careful around eyes.

To date, my skin has cleared, my eyes are normal.  i do have slight dryness around my eyes, and continue to use Clotrimazole twice daily.  This takes time to go away, but you will notice results real soon.  Within days!  (IMAGINE!!!)

If you suffer from this, please try it.  I have put up with this for so long. I read all of these well intentioned posts about hydrocortisone etc etc.  I tried it for years and continued to suffer.  Give that up.

It is also not  dermatitis!  PLEASE!!!  

The Manuka honey did work, but not completely for me.  It diminished the severity.

I also treated myself systemically for yeast.  I use Oregano Oil caps.  I feel so much better!  I am going to continue that program, which is holistic.  works for me.

I have reduced my sugar intake too.  

fyi, if you notice this on one side more than the other....it is because you SLEEP on that side.  Fungus thrives in moist areas!  

So go and get cured.  Hope you all feel better.  I have waited to write, because I wanted to be certain.  I am CERTAIN!!!!
Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one here who is experiencing this and we've obviously all been directed here after googling this condition.  As with all other posts, I have been through a process of elimination and can not find the culprit.

Could it be stress??  I have seen a few of you mention that it crops up at stressful periods or after a night out. I think this doesn't help my cause either.  Although it has appeared after just a normal week night at home.  I have had a bit going on for me though, but in the past I've never had this sympton.  Very odd, but I'm glad I'm not alone.
Hey guys.  Wow.  I really thought I was the only one. While I'm not thrilled that we all have to go through this it is comforting to know there are others out there trying to find a solution as well.

I def agree about the whole "10 years older" comments.  I'm 24 and the wrinkles it's causing under my eyes are wicked deep!!  I had this last year around this same time too and then around summer it just went away and I thought no more of it.  Then it recently came back with a vengeance--it is way itchy and scaly, more so than it was last year.  I've tried drinking a lot more water since I've been getting terribly chapped lips as well, and that hasn't helped. I went gluten free in August and went back on gluten in November.  Maybe wheat is my problem? My trouble is I'm a very "everything in moderation" type girl.  I don't really have too much excess of one thing so whatever it is that's causing this might take a while to figure out.  I think I'll keep watch of it alongside my diet before I spend the $30 on the honey. :)
Does anybody have cats?  We've gotten fungal infections from ours before - ringworm on our arms and legs. I'm wondering if we touch our under eyes after petting them and transfer the fungus spores...

And if it's just a winter thing, perhaps it's because your cat is outside all summer you don't get to pet them as much so it just happens in the winter??

HI

Well i have been having these problems with itchy, redness and swollen around my eyes....it is hideous....i try not to wear any eye makeup anymore for awhile...My doctor prescribed me hydrocoritsone cream...doesn't seem to be working...then my sister told me to use Nivea day cream....tried that...went away for a week..then it is back again...it is soooo itchy and patchy looking....i hate looking at myself in the mirror.....i heard that it is contagious..so when putting on the cream...try to use different fingers to apply it....BTW...i don't drink so i don't believe it is alcohol for me....i also notice that it happens during winter and spring when snow starts to melt....summer not so much.....

It is nice to hear that i am not the only person experiencing this terrible feeling.  

Mary
The Cortisone cream did work for me to clear it up and since then I use Nivea on my face and it hasn't come back. It's too bad that it isn't working for you :( All other creams didn't seem to work as it would come back here and there. I have been problem free for about 4 months now....but I still go on thinking it will come back...but so far so good!
Hi guys!! So after reading these posts and hearing that it might be a fungus, I remembered my college eastern health class and the fact that tea tree oil is a natural anti-fungal.  I bought some, used it, and after only TWO usings in a whole week I am thrilled to say that it has completely cleared up!!  It was leaps and bounds better just two days after the first applications.

SO! Here's what I recommend: Go to your local Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and buy 100% pure tea tree oil.  It'll be about 6 or 7 dollars. After your shower and take your contacts out (if you wear contacts, you will DEFINATLEY want to take them out), wet a Q-tip or a cotton pad then put ONE drop of the oil onto the pad.  ONE is all you need, trust me.  Gently pat it under the eye.  NOTE: IT WILL STING! Especially if the skin is very cracked and dry.  It's very potent stuff.  If you sit in front of a cold fan or just fan your eyes with your hands for a few minutes afterwards it will keep the vapor from traveling into your eyes.  It basically just has the same effect on your eyes as though you were chopping up an onion.  

I did this and then two days later it was almost completley healed!!  It only hurt me the first time because my skin was so dry and flaked and gross.  After the initial one, the applications are very mild.

I hope this helps some of you.  Let me know!!!! :)
Hi again - i haven't disappeared from the face of the earth. Went to see my specialist again - got the rash and dryness around the eyes down quite a bit. Still had trouble with the itching where it was suggested than when removing make up be sure to use a makeup removing wipe and make sure the remover doesn't get near your eyes. What i was doing was using cetaphil make up remover and rubbing it over my face then washing with warm water. That in fact spread around my eye lids perhaps contributing to the itchy feeling. Anyway did just that and noticed some relief - also i now use a hydrocortisone gel 1% for night use - that i find very cooling and refreshing (especially if you keep in the fridge). There is another Egocort Cream 1% which can be used during the day as it is not so thick - i try just to survive on the night gel if i can. I did get a second opinion about the dry eyes and alas most of my problem is contributed to eczema and by sticky to the gluten free diet i can keep it down to a minimum. The eczema i find tends to like to go to sensitive skin areas and eye lids are one of the softness - speaking only for myself as you get older your skin thins out. Don't think i will get rid of the unwelcomed wrinkles but after what i've been through i find that is the least of my worries.
By the way the person after the manuka honey etc can be purchased in Health Food Shops in Aust & N.Z. in the U.S not sure.
Cheers for now
I had been suffering from same symptom - red, dry, scaly, puffy patches on my eyelid and the area just below my eye.  Nothing was helping.  After finding this forum and purchasing Manuka honey, it is completely gone after three days.  The honey can be found at Whole Foods Markets, and other health food stores, in the honey section.  After washing my face, I apply a generous layer of the honey and covered it with guaze to keep it from running into my eyes and getting on clothes and bedding.  Upon waking the very first morning, I was amazed at the difference.  The redness, swelling and scaliness were gone.  I did not wear make-up that day, but by day two I as able to wear my normal eyecream, which no longer stung, and minimal eyemake up.  It's been three nights since I started using the honey, and today I look back to normal, including the fact that the hideously exaggerated wrinkling is gone.  

Thank you to NatAust for pointing us in the direction of the possibility of a fungal infection, and suggesting the Manuka honey.  After reading that post, I researched the honey, and was amazed at all of it's healing properties and benefits.  I paid about $20 for the jar of honey, but it was well worth the money to be rid of the "lizard eyes," -as my kids were so lovingly calling me :)

One Monday morning I woke up to a dry scalypatch on my right cheek. Over the next three days it worsened and spread until I had  red dry sore scaly patches around the eyes,  punched face, swollen eyes and lips, unable to touch it with anything even water it just burned so badly. When I retraced my steps I realised that the only thing I did different was that I bought a new (non-allgergic) PILLOW on Sunday. I removed it from my bed on Friday night and by Saturday I was getting better. Over a week with my symptoms went. Two weeks later I stayed in a hotel and the following morning my symptoms were back with avengance. The following day when I returned home they subsided. A week later I woke in the night with a very swollen throat and itchy eyes barely able to breathe. I took all pillows off my bed and within 30 mins my throat was less swollen. My GP thinks I had a bad initial reaction to the new pillow and that I now have increased sensitivity to whatever is in the pillows that is causing the problem. I have been referred to an allergy clinic and will keep you all posted on the results

I notice how many people seem to wake up with this and I just wonder if everyone is on completely the wrong track and it is actually something in the pillows that we are all allergic to. I have never had allergic reaction in my life until now, but the fact that it is confined to my face rules out any food intolerances for me. The pillows I used are good quality natural fibre and marked as non-allergenic, but there must be chemicals used somewhere in the process.Why dont you all remove your pillows and see if this helps.  I am convinced that this is the source of my problems.
Hey everyone, I've had red patches under my eyes my entire life (I am currently 19 years old).
They got way worse just this summer when I came home from University. Underneath my eyes got even redder, dry, itchy, sore and little bumps appeared. I was prescribed hydrocortisone and it cleared up those symptoms, but after I stopped using the cream it would reoccur and still does to this day.
Also, I got about minor 5 eye infections in the summer, when I woke up my eyes were bloodshot, my lids were swollen and under my eyes had the symptoms I described earlier, but it cleared up by the next day.
I can't find anyone else on the internet that has had these red patches their entire life. Usually they aren't dry or anything, just red. My mom has eczema, could it be related to that? I hate having redness under my eyes and having to conceal with makeup everyday, most of the time it doesn't completely cover the redness... makes my face look horrible, I'm only 19. :/
I have just recently began suffering with the same some days its not as noticalbe and others like today I look about 10 years older its embarrassing. Last time I went to my hairdresser I noticed she had the problem and thought to myself it looked sore then few days later I woke up with it. I dont think its contagious maybe this was just a coincidence I cant believe how many people actually have this, I'm sure there are many factors causing this but seems the best way to tackle it is through diet...

Good luck to all, I will be keeping up to date with this discussion and let you know if i come across anything useful

Hey I'm wondering how your progress is since you last post in Feb this year.

Has the treatment you stated worked for you ie use of Clotrimazole 1% and Oregano oil caps?  If so do you actually use the cream around your eye area where the actual rash probs are??... Is the cream safe to use as the Pharmasist you spoke with advised to be careful around the eye area ? Also what do you suggest for the daily intake of the Oregano oil capsules.

I hope you have had success with the treatment after having spent so many years with the annoyance.

Many thanks

A red rash eye sufferer
Natalie
I started with these same symptoms about 3 weeks ago.  I first thought it was because I bought a set of cosmetic brushes and started using them as opposed to my normal eye shadow sponge applicators.  I wanted to get different looks to my eye make up and alot of it required alot of blending, using the wiper blade affect brushing back and forth creating a smokey eye look.  It was alot more brushing my eyes than I had ever done before, even though I washed and conditioned the brushes before I started using them.  I noticed my left eye would start watering at the corner after I put my make up on.  And they just gradually started getting irritated on the lids, upper lids, and underneith my eyes.  The skin looked as if it had been burned but it wouldnt peel off.  I have went back to the sponge applicators but the irritation and burning still continues.  My Clinique moisturizers made it burn and sting.  So that made it worse.  Vaseline didnt do anything.  

I noticed it seems alot of you havent even seen a doctor for it.  I do believe it is something you should let the doctor look at, you've got to have a diagnosis before you can know how to treat it.  I have an appt next tues.  In the meantime I am using Aveno moisturizer on it to soften it up, it stung a little when I first put it on but not as bad as my other products.  I also purchased these Listerine cleansing cloths just to wash your eyes.  I just did that tonight for the first time so I'll have to wait and see.  I also had some of the Lystine on hand so I took 3 tablets today.

I think its difficult to diagnose because its unknown whether its a virus, or an allergy or a skin issue and you have to start with you primary doctor.  I have never had allergies but I have had random reactions to things since after I turned 50, I'm 55 now.  I wouldnt start eliminating things from my diet right off the bat, I think I would try some type of steriod on a short term basis first and see how it responds.  If it doesnt then I would see a dermatolgist next.  Ive never had allergies and I really dont think this is related to food at all.  So after I see the doctor, I will post what he comes up with if anyone is interested.  The only thing that was new when this started was the makeup brushes.  It would be nice if many of you that havent seen a doctor see one and then report back his diagnosis and treatment and whether the treatment is working.  I would find that most helpful rather than reading all the symptoms and doing trial by error without getting a medical opinion first.  I know several dont have med insurance and thats the reason for not seeing the dr.  But if you have med insurance, I think that is the best route to start.  
Aaaah!  I have been having this red/itchy/dry-ness under my left eye for about a month or so now. It hasnt necessarily been getting worse or better, but randomly I decided to google it and I came across this website! I'm glad I did but now I'm frightened by those of you who have said you have had it for several months and even years!!!! Now I know I need to take this more seriously.
I first thought it was due to me switching make-up remover brands from Neutrogena oil-free remover (which I've used for years) to the knock-off Target brand. I thought it was just cheap and tore up my eye, so I immediately switched back to Neutrogena but haven't seen any change. I guess it could be a reaction to the Target stuff that triggered something? Also, I have noticed people have said they use Bare Minerals products... I have been newly using Bare Essentials "Buxom" Mascara ( a product of Bare Minerals), and have considered that to be the cause. I havent changed it but now I know I need to try that. Other things about me that might help:

Drink occasionally
No MAC products
Used Target brand eye make up remover
eat healthy
consistent product use for years
no known allergies
never had any skin conditions
only medication I use on a regular basis is an oral contraceptive (Sprintec) and have used for 6 years

Thanks to all the suggestions!!
I have recently got the red patch of dry skin under my eye as everyone else has been talking about. It has been there for about a month now and won't go away! I have tried putting Vaseline, anti itch cream, sweet almond oil, Castor oil on it. I have stopped wearing make up and changed my soap I use on my face. After all of this I still wake up and it is there!!! I recently went to my natural health food store and asked them if they had any suggestions. One woman there said that she occasionally gets red dry skin patches on her face and that the cause of it is because there is too much yeast in her body. She also told me that even though there was a yeast increase that she didn't have yeast infections in lady land. She suggested to take a probiotic (always good for you to have) on top of my multivitamin I take daily and also to get a candida treatment which will pretty much grab a hold of the extra yeast and flush it out of your system. She also suggested that liquid silver might help to put on the dry patch. I haven't seen the silver working so I am considering getting the candida treatment.  
I am amazed that you guys are all suffering from the same thing that I have.  About 6 weeks ago I woke up in the morning with one of my eyes red swollen and itching.  It lasted for a day.  Now I have a small patch of skin under my left eye that is dry and rough and sometimes sore and itchy.  It has made a nasty little wrinkle underneath it.  I am 45 and have always looked younger.  Now that one under eye looks hideous. It looks like alligator skin.
The only things that are new to me are:
Started taking Soy for menopause symptoms.
Started a multivitamin
I have an appt.with a dermatologist in 30 days.
Will try the Manuka honey and lysine in the meantime.
Thanks for all your comments, I learned a lot.
Hi all!!!

I think I may have found something that will either get rid of the problem entirely for you or significantly improve this scary condition!!

I thought I was the only one with this problem until I googled it and thankfully, got led to this page. I had many of the same symptoms. Under my right eye I had a few small red, scaly and very itchy rash like things and was freaking out cos not only did it look horrible but I had no idea what it was and how it was caused.

Anyway, I tried aloe vera, hydrocortisone...the lot...and nothing worked. Until I picked up a tube of Jurlique "Calendula Cream" and next thing I know, the little scaly bits were dissappearing and the redness was going down! So i kept applying it and today is my 5th day. I apply it about 6-7 times a day, depending on when I remember or when I can, and let me tell you, it's like a miracle. The rash is almost completely gone!!

I did abit of research on Calendula and apparently, it is a natural anti-fungal and has about a million uses. Get onto it people!! Let me know how it goes for you!!

Best of luck! :)
I have the exact same issue you guys are describing
What really helps me is this, everynight after a shower, i put 100% Aloe Vera gel all around my eye on the red burning parts. By morning the redness reduces significantly.
hope this helps
i have taken care of my skin forever sunblock lotions everything. one day i woke upwith this itchy rash around my eye looks horrible my skin complexion is white so it looks red aghhhhhhh whyyyy do i wear makeup ... no not really mascara thats its its horrible they gave me a lotion called blefamide and well it worked but when i read the possible effects on the net i freaked out. i dont drink at all. I do smoke. sos help me i would hate for the skin around my eye to get wrinkled!:(
I had this same problem and have now got it under control.  Mine started with a scaly patch under my right eye, progressed to a swollen eye, then spread to the other eye.  I tried all sorts of creams and lotions, eventually got allergy tested and found out i am allergic to dust mites, pollen, the whole lot. I then started allergy desensitisation treatment and most of the symptoms went away in 6 months.  However, they still can get red and irritated if I don't look after my eyes properly, and like someone else said, I've been told its just the way we are made.

Things that help (other than allergy densen treatment)

1. Eyedrop antihistimines in event of flareup

2. tablet antihistamines
3. stay away from radiators, aircon, heaters, cold windy weather
4. wear glasses as prescribed
5. eat healthily and drink plenty of water
6. limit allergens around house i.e. regularly vacuuming etc
7. dont use any creams on eyes except for vaseline.

Hope this helps.
I suffered for the past 3 minths with extremely red, sore eyes,. the skin around my eyes was so red, itchy and flakey. im only 29 and i had really bad wrickles and cracks all over my eyes,.my eyes begun to droop
I was so imbaressed to be seen in public.
After seeing many eye specialists, GP's and allergics, I found my cure.
from the chemist, i tried NIZORAL CREAM 2%. Put it around my eye at night and left it on overnight .
After doing this for 1 week, ALL my symptoms had vanished and my eyes have never been better ever. and best of all you dont need a doctors presciption for it. i am extremely happy. i hope this helps somebody out there,
A month or so ago I had posted about my red itchy spot under my eye. Today I am proud to say that it is GONE!!!! After trying a myriad of things- changing my diet, soaps, not wearing makeup, etc. I was able to see a difference a few days after doing a Candida Cleanse however after this cleanse was done my red spot came back. I was so disappointed. So I tried some new things- went out and bought all new hypoallergenic pillows, and changed all my bedding along with my bath towel. After sleeping on my pillow I spray it down with disinfectant and change the pillow case every couple of days. I also used Athletes Foot Cream on my red spot and within a few day it was GONE!! I continue to use the cream to make sure it doesn't come back. Along with the cream I also use an anti itch cream called DermaCort from Melaleuca, it helps a lot also. Tea Tree Oil was another thing I used, it burns but it helps kill the fungus. That's all mine was- a FUNGUS. With all the ointments I used I was sure to be careful and not get them in my eye. Hope this helps some others with the red under eye problem.
I have been having this as well. I encourage you to search "ocular rosacea". I too threw away all makeup, changed tons of things I used from laundry detergent to shampoo. I do notice that the scaling on my lids and swelling worsens if I have wine or beer. I have been seeing an opthamologist for the last year but of course the flares don't show when I am there. He has been treating my dry eyes which too is one of the symptoms of ocular rosacea. I am seeing a different opthamologist who specializes in the lids in a week. I will let you know what he says.
Thank goodness for this blog... I have been suffering for over a year... I am trying the Candida diet, probiotics, and Candex... I think mine is Candida also.. stress and anytime I eat high sugar foods can cause an outbreak as well as any drink with citric acid.. I stopped all diet drinks 10 months ago and going to try to stay as close as I can to 100% on the diet for atleast 4 weeks... Also added oil of oregano suggested by my health food store... I have also read multi minerals... are a necessity.. just started last night and will keep you all posted...
I developed very swollen, itchy, and painful skin around my eyes several days ago and looked like I was 100 years old.  Nothing helped.  I tried all kinds of creams and moisturizers.  I did research here and saw one posting suggesting athlete's foot cream.  I tried it a little over a day ago and the problem is about 40% gone.  Hope this can help someone else.
I couldn't believe it when I stumbled across this website!  I too have been having a problem with my eyes with wrinkles, redness, dry skin and itching, although I don't think it's as bad as some of you have mentioned.  Several months ago I noticed the skin under my eyes was getting really wrinkly.  I thought maybe it was due to aging but I'm only 47 and didn't think my eyes should look that bad.  I started using Olay eye gel but it didn't really help so I got some of their eye cream and it seemed to help some but I wasn't overly impressed.  Then, a week ago I noticed my eyes were red and sore and the left one itched a lot.  I thought maybe it was due to hay fever, however the other night I was crying and the next day they seemed to be worse.  I also noticed the skin under my chin is starting to get wrinkled and don't know if that is related to my condition.  Since I felt the Olay products weren't really doing anything for the wrinkles I decided to go back to Avon Anew Alternative, which I have used for a long time with good results.  I noticed the other day when I put it on it really burned.  I didn't put it on around my eyes, but this was at the top of my cheekbone.  The inside corner of my left eye was red and itchy.  I didn't know what to do so I stopped using anything around my eyes.  The one thing I am using to try to help the situation is witch hazel.  I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but it has really helped some of my other skin conditions such as psoriasis and athlete's foot.  The kind you get in the drugstore has a bit of alcohol in it, so you have to be careful, but it has been fine for me and I noticed it is helping.  I just put some on a cotton ball and dab it around my eyes, twice a day (in the morning and before bed).  Also, strangely, when I am at work in the central a/c I notice a big improvement, that's why I'm wondering if it is some kind of allergy.  This year has been a bad year for me in general for allergies, and usually I have little or no trouble at all.  But I have heard that allergies can come and go at any time.

At any rate, I have to get this condition under control because I'm getting married in 6-1/2 weeks and I don't want to not be able to wear eye makeup.  I usually don't wear eye makeup anyway, but would like to wear some for the wedding.  Hope my story helps someone.
it doesnt go away sos any doctor here to help or post some kinda of answer
Hi everyone, my eyes are much better today.  I have stopped wearing makeup around my eyes and have been using witch hazel and a thin coating of Vaseline which seems to help the dryness.  I am guessing it had something to do with hay fever, and an allergic reaction from the Olay eye products and possibly makeup.  My eyes are still wrinkly but I guess that's just middle age.
I am a 59 year old man and i have the same problem mentioned by others. I have never used makeup. The only thing that seem to have helped me in the last 4 days is clotrimazole antifungal cream 1%. Today is the first day in a while i didn't have to use vasoline to heal the crack skin. I apply it in the morning with a q tip and at bedtime. I think it is very important to apply it at nite because when the skin under eyes fold doing sleep, that seem to be the time the fungal is most active. When using fungal cream, it's best to continue using it a few weeks after problem seem to be resolved. I don't know if the itching around my eyes that have awaken me from sleep is related to the problem under my eyes or not, but it seem to have improve some too.
I would like to add to my earlier comment that i now use dove soap for sensitive skin. This soap seem to help with the itching around the eyes. I'll only use vaseoline under the eyes if i see cracks in the skin. Since i have glaucoma, i used the tea tree oil only one day b4 going to the fungal cream.. I am not sure if i should be using the tea tree oil with glaucoma.
Everyone,
I'm not one to respond to this type of thing, but after reading these posts I feel the need to share how I cured the aweful patch under my eye that so many of you share. I totally understand the emotional toll this takes, it affected my confidence, relationship, EVERYTHING! The tea tree oil and athlete's foot creme worked WONDERS!! I rotated tea tree oil/athlete foot creme because I found the tea tree oil dried out the patch, but seemed to excelerate the healing process. I also used a little emu oil for the dryness. Please people, don't put up with this anymore, try it....and to those of you that suggested this thank you SO much!
You are so right, Vballgirl01. Even in the one day i used the tea tree oil i saw something, and that made me think their is something to this fungal thing. I also would like to thank the first person to bring up the fungal thing. Glad to here you,ve been cured, Vballgirl01, and you're also soo right about the emotional toll.
I am new here and have/had suffered with burning, itching, peeling, swollen, blistery and red upper and lower eyelids on both eyes since last November. I'd been to several doctors who would send me home with one cream or another; have me toss make up; change my diet; etc, etc, etc....nothing worked.  Long story short, last September I had to take a strong round of antibiotics and was also on the birth control pill.  Both contributed to getting systemic yeast in my body.  It's not "south" as most of us ladies know, but it's in the tummy and colon from what I understand.  Nobody's going to believe this, I could hardly believe it myself, but after 7 months of suffering with the skin problem, most of it went away overnight just by taking a double dose of acidopholus. The acidopholus "acid" part eats away at the yeast apparently.  The swelling, redness and itchiness went away immediately and it took another few days for the blisters and scaliness to go away.  I will continue to take the acidopholus every day and I've added yogurt to add in the good bacteria again.  I cut out a lot of sugar too.  Apparently yeast loves to feed off sugar.  I did notice my eyes would be worse the next morning after a night out with the girls where we'd have lots of wine (lots of sugar there), so I've cut most of that out too.  I hope this helps those that have gone to doctor after doctor with no cure.  A thorough interview with a doctor and a blood test caught mine.
I too had the red itchy burning patches under both eyes, and one right above my eyelid. After trying most of the treatments on this forum with little reults so I went to my doctor.  Mine is an eye allergy (I've never had any allergies before).  My doctor gave me a Rx for Tobradex, which is a antibiotic / steroid ointment.  It is expensive (even after insurance I had to pay over $50 for it). I use it directly in my eyes morning and night, and on the dry patches.  In two days it is almost completely gone.  I dont know if there is a generic for it or not. You would have to ask your doctor.  
I have same problem mine started up around 8 months ago I am a 45 year old woman... for me it always happens after ' a party night out' i.e. when I drink alcohol..first time it happened  was with red wine so I cut that out, 2nd time with beer (even non-alcoholic beer)  so I cut that out and now unfortunately it happened with vodka ...aaagh what Iwanted to say is 3 things haver really helped 'symptoms' go away faster a) anti-histamines every day b) wash eyes (V.carefully dont get in eyes) with tGel shampoo 2 times a week for 1 minute during flaky period,baby shampoo the rest of the time c) fantastic cream called Cicalfate from Avene (as even vaseline stings me) which reduces redness,helps itch and moisturizes.  Also unless  desperate DO NOT USE STEROİD CREAM...it cleared mine up  fast but then your skin can become addicted to it (mine did) and then flare ups/allergywhatever it is can get worse big big no no!
Good luck on your new treatment, but it isn,t new to me. My dermatologist suspected an eye infection to be my problem over a month ago. She treated me with a 6 days supply of methylprednlsolone and a 10 days supply of antibotic (antibiotic). I had to take mine orally, and i don't know if there is a difference in the way you take yours. This Rx didn't work for me. I,ll let you know in a month how i'm coming along. I just dratically changed my diet and added some things mentioned here to it.Remember, it take weeks for fungal cream to heal fungal infection. You would need to use fungal cream 4 weeks to heal althlete's foot and ringworm.
Sorry, i meant to say, antifungal cream takes time to heal a fungal infection.
Hi, Everyone. About a month ago, I was searching the forums to see if there was an answer to the symptoms of dry, itchy, peeling, and sometimes swollen eyelids I had. On my upper cheekbones, I was very sensitive, and they were always red. No creams seemed to work. In fact, they burned and made matters worse. Most mornings, I could barely open my eyes because they were swollen so badly. I promised myself, then, that if I were to work it out somehow that I would post here how I "cured" the problem. What I tried may seem weird to you, but if your symptoms are as depressingly difficult as mine were, I doubt you'll eschew what I did if it worked.

First, to drive the itchiness at bay, I used apple cider vinegar (with the "Mother") to dab all around my eyes and inside my elbows (for my eczema flare ups) with a cotton ball. Note that until your peeling goes away for good, the vinegar will burn. To alleviate the burn, what you can do is boil about 3 cups of water in a large pan. Then put about 3 tablespoons of ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar--again with the "Mother") in the boiling water and immerse your face into the steam for about 5 minutes. It's best to put a towel over your head when you do to get the full effect. Personally, I did both the cotton swabs (and dealt with the burn) and the steam twice or more a day.

At this point, I still needed a moisturizer that wouldn't perpetuate the vicious cycle I was in. I realized, too, that my shampoo, conditioner, and bar soap may have ingredients that may be exacerbating my condition. After a lot of research, I finally went down to the “health food store” and bought raw shea butter as my moisturizer and JASON—Pure, Natural, and Organic—products for my shampoo and moisturizer. I went with an unscented bar soap. The brand name is Clearly Natural Essentials. Note that the shea butter is “raw.” So when you open the tub, it’s not going to look particularly aesthetically pleasing; however, it works for me. My skin is no longer perpetually dry (I put it on after my shower), and my skin isn’t irritated when I apply it like Vitamin E oil application did. The way I apply the butter is to take a small piece of the butter and vigorously rub it into the palm of one of my hands with the other until the friction softens it enough to apply to my skin. I’m sure people more creative than I will come up with something better!

It took about a week for this process of ACV application and the “new moisturizer” to ameliorate all of my symptoms to the point that I looked “normal” again. Now, instead of itching, I apply ACV with a cotton ball on areas prone to eczema flare ups (dab it if you have the butter on or makeup), and I also apply it on my face, especially around my eyes. It no longer burns at all, and I rarely itch. If I do start feeling as if I’m going to scratch, I just go to the bathroom where I keep a small bottle of ACV and soak a cotton ball with the stuff and apply to the affected areas. I’ve also found that ACV feels even better if it’s been in the fridge.

Some people will likely complain about the smell, but honestly I was so happy that I was “cured” that I didn’t care. Now, I nearly thoroughly enjoy the smell, but maybe it’s because the smell is associated with a product that worked wonders for me. I’ve even thought about applying it to my entire body with a spray bottle after a shower because I really like the smell, then applying the moisturizer once it dries. But whatever you choose to do, the bottom line is that I got rid of all products, even my shaving cream (I use the bar of soap to lather my skin), that may cause a flare up and replaced them with organic products that humans used for thousands of years before we thought we could “buck the system” with new and improved products which, in my opinion, are the cause of our current health problems associated with contact dermatitis and so on.

One last thought on the raw shea butter. One reason I chose it is because right there on the label it says you can use around your eyes and around mucous areas (nose). A lot of these creams prescribed by your doctors should never be used around your eyes such as hydrocortisone which thins your skin to boot. Think about how thin your skin around your eyes already is. After about a month of my “routine,” I am so glad I never went to a dermatologist. In fact, the primary reason why I never went to one is because forum after forum of hundreds of posts by people like you pointed out that dermatologists simply do not know the answer to our problems. I don’t know if that is because they make money off these products in some way or because they don’t realize that many of our new and improved technological, medical advances in the 20th and 21st centuries have been truncated by our eschewal of natural, organic ingredients. Instead, we have replaced them with man-made, “commercial” ingredients which have, in my opinion, caused the majority of our health problems and have no place in our diagnoses.
I have had the same problem for the last 8 months.  I have gone to a dermatologist and she could only suggest that it could be metalic based eye makeup.  I did stop using it but the flare ups have not stopped.  To answer another persons statement my eyes burn like raw meat when I rub them.  Who can stop rubbing them!!  The medication  did not help it also burns like hell.  I can tell it is starting to effect my attitude at work also.  I think I will try the shea butter.  I was told to use Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer but guess what, DO NOT USE AROUND THE EYES.  What's a girl to do?
How did you come across this treatment, and did you have dry, red, itchy and bumpy spot under the eyes? Thanks.
JohnQuincyAdams: I came up with this treatment partly by reading countless posts by other people with similar conditions as me. There was a lady who had a son with the red, itchy eyelids, and she posted that by applying ACV to her son's eyelids every night, the itchiness faded, as did the eczema symptoms. But my problem was also a moisturizer problem because my skin is very dry and because my eyelids were peeling as a result. Cetaphil, Hydrocortisone, and another cream (eura something) were the top creams certified by "leading dermatologists," but none of these creams should ever be used around the eyes. Although Hydrocortisone does not burn, the other two burned the heck out of my eyelids, and, as a result, the next morning both of my eyes were swollen nearly shut after an application the night prior. So when I went to the health food store, I specifically looked for a moisturizer that I could use around my mucus glands and eyelids and found raw shea butter. Since I've started this treatment, I haven't had any relapses. Anytime my skin starts to crawl, I just reach for the ACV to quell the itchiness, and I apply it to the insides of my elbows and on my face before bed and when I wake up to keep the itchiness at bay. The shea butter I apply after my showers in the morning.

Yes, I did have the dry, red bumps below my eyes, right around the tops of my cheekbones. They looked inflamed. Remember also that I changed shampoo, conditioner, and even the bar soap to ones which had no commercial ingredients. Hope this helps.
I am allergic to mineral oil which is found in vaseline, cleansers and moisturisers, hydrocortisone cream, diprobase, oil of olay etc even those claiming to be mild or for sensitive skin. This is a petrochemical by product and therefore very cheap to stick in products as a moisturiser. This allergy took the form of bumps or spots around the eye area. It took a lot of time and money to pin point it, as it found even in some more expensive products. Please benefit from my experience. I developed this allergy around 15 years ago. Indeed I now realise that the teenage spots I had almost ten years previously may have been due to the products I was using as they contained this.

A couple of months ago I developed dry, red, scaling swollen eyes also. Similar to what most of you are describing. My foundation is definitely a causative factor. It is worse when I use Dior Forever foundation and milder when i use Clinique almost makeup. When I apply foundation to the rest of my face and avoid the eye orbit the redness and scaliness subsides considerably. So I no longer use foundation over my eye area. Elizabeth Arden Doublewear concealer also causes a severe reaction when used around my eyes. I also use mac eyeshadow but infrequently. And often in combination with the Forever foundation. ? is the allergy caused by a common ingredient such as titanium dioxide. But where to get products free from this ingredient?

Also I wouldn't rule out a little hayfever. Although I have never really suffered from this before I am sneezing more than usual. The antihistamines don't seem to be helping much.

The first occurence and most severe one was after drinking vodka with apple bitters. Never had bitters before so maybe? But drinking alcohol and wearing the makeup go hand-in-hand or if not drinking alcohol then I am drinking diet coke on a daily basis which I am then mixing with alcohol?

So the foundation seems to be the biggest irritant causing the most severe symptoms. But them the underlying itch always seems to be there.

Another point to mention is that I had an allergy on three occasions before I was 15. Two in quick succession. One a couple of years after. This may have been attributable to caffeine in each case.

allergic to mineral oil. ? allergic to titanium dioxide of some other common makeup ingredient. ? allergic to pollen. ? allergic to caffeine. Maybe it is all of these substances.

I also have psoriasis.  

I have also wondered if I am allergic to silicone as many cosmetics contain this and I get spots on my back and neck in response to using some conditioners and hair products - which frequently contain this.

I even supected the icelandic volcano for a while as my first attack coincided with the erruption! Volcanic ash contains silicone??????

Hey guys,
so I'm 23/f now. was an eczema sufferer from like 7 or so which eliminated all sorts of soaps. When I was 14 i got this awful red undereyes and was also really stressed as hell, crying alot, which irritated it I think. Needless to say, i looked awful and felt like I shouldnt be in public view (ever). So the doctor gave me this "advantan fatty ointment" which he stressed to me to use SPARINGLY. of course, it worked so well and cleared up and made it so smooth and skin coloured again that I overused it... i was young and didnt care of the consequences. this ointment was steroidal and has thinned out my skin, my eyelids are already bunching and im 23!!!! EEEk.
anyway im not vain so I can deal with the pre-aging skin (its not too bad) but the really annoying thing is that it cleared up fully for about 2 years and then came back. And now i never know what the cause of it is.
I have had the skin allergy tests and they told me i was allergic to dust and cockroach droppings and grass... so seasonal allergies may explain it. but i am not willing to put these steroids on again obviously.
I found Elidel cream on the net and it doesnt have steroids in it so it wont thin the skin, Trouble is it honestly didnt seem to do anything much,
So when i think back to being 14, i ate alot of sugar..
My recent flare up was when i stayed at my fathers house (its a bit dusty) and i had drank 2 glasses of champagne. the next morning after sleeping under a wooly blanket i could see the beginnings of a flare up, and now two weeks later its just so embarrassing to leave the house i look like ive been punched to both eyes.
other than this i can only think to eliminate sugar, yeast, and gluten (as well as the booze :(  ) i think this will kill me, however.
I only use cetaphil skin cleanser, moisturiser (love these) and dermaveen shampoo and conditioner or TGEL.
i do actually think yeast probably plays a big role because when i drink beer my skin gets really bad, and when my eye skin became bad the first time i kept getting yeast infections, at 14!(sorry but this may help someone)
im so going to try no citris as welll.....
ahhhh such a relief to see this page.
:D hugs all round
Ah just an update, i use cetaphil around the eyes... its the most plain cleanser its meant to be a safe makeup remover..  and their moisturisors and made for people with severely dry skin and ive always been told its made for facial use.... its the only thing keeping moist before i sleep and i always put it on within 3 minutes of leaving the shower.
also, swapping to cold water at the end of the shower (even in winter) gives your skin a chance to sort of .. not stay red, hot and itchy.
I was told to use the cetaphil cream too by my dermatologist, but I find the apple cider vinegar and sher butter to be so much better. This stuff is all natural. Don't just overlook glycerine treatment.
I meant glycerine137's treatment plan..
Just because cetaphil  doesn't work well for me doesn,t mean it won't work well for someone else. If you.ve found something that you,re happy with than i'm happy for you. What we all want more than anything is relief. God bless.
I 'm so glad you decided to share your finding, That raw sher butter is just incredible. I haven't gotten one crack in skin around eyes since i started using it. I have been following your treatment plan religiously for the past week and what a quick change. I use diluted tree tea oil beneath eyes in case there is fungal involued. This is how i do it: after putting the ACV around my eyes i use a Q tip to put my diluted tree tea oil ( i mixed 1 tsp water with 1/4 tsp tree tea oil) beneath eyes. I wait a few minutes before putting the raw sher butter around eyes. I am so thankful for this forum too.
Hey guys,

Just wanted to update you all about my little patch. It's been two months now since I started using Jurlique Calendula Cream, just dabbing it onto the red dry and scaly areas and I'm pleased to announce that it is now 95% gone! You can barely see it and it's not dry or itchy anymore. I use the Calendula Cream every morning and night after I cleanse, tone and moisturise.

I urge you all to give it a go!! If you don't want to buy the whole big tube, just ask your Jurlique sales assisstant for a sample or check out your nearest health food store. They wont stock the brand Jurlique, but I'm sure they might have some product or other with pure Calendula in it.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!!!

:)
There may be more than one road to recovery from this condition. The spot under my left eye is gone, and the spot under my right eye is about 95% gone. The itching that I had a few weeks ago is also gone. I credit most of this to the treatment plan posted by Glycerine137. The tree tea oil and antifungal cream may have helped too. I don't use it anymore. Thanks to all you good folks for sharing. This is what makes this world a better place.
I started getting the red, itchy spots above my left eye around a month ago, and it has spread to underneath my eye and then to the other eye, both above and underneath.  I put vasaline on them and I've used hydrocortizone and, per my mother-in-law's advice, gold bond but that really burns, but its a cold burn and if I keep my eyes closed for a few minutes afterward, it's not so bad, but nothing seems to be working for making the rash go away.  Does anyone know what I should do?  I'll try following Glycerin's posts
Please follow through with trying Glyerine 137 treatment plan. It worked for me and i can honestly say, l'm CURED. It may come back sometime in the future, but for now i don't use anything. You might want to change your diet too by cutting out all alcoholic drinks and citric fruits and juices. I stop drinking alcohol 29 years ago, but i consumed a lot of orange and grape juice. You will be able to go back to your old diet after you're cured if you wish, but for now be strict as to what you eat and drink. Something else i  did that may have helped my recovery, i took L-Lysine and Acidophilus daily too.
Oh yeah!! I failed to mention the possibility of fungal having something to do with this problem. Please read my comment from 7-16. I must say, I used antifungal cream for about 2 weeks before switching over to Glycerine137's plan. That may have played a roll in the quick improvement after the switch. I know one thing for sure, and that is after i started using the raw sher butter, i haven't gotten one crack in skin under eyes. The sher butter is so much superior to vasoline or any cream or lotin out there. Please keep us informed on how you're doing.
I had been suffering for almost 2 years with on again off again red eyelids, swelling, itchiness. Then the swelling would go down and there would be this scaliness and the skin would be very wrinkled due to the swelling going down and the skin was now "stretched".

I was going to a an opthamologist and finally go my answer from a dermatologist. I had patch testing done. It tested me to allergies for 54 common allergy-causing chemicals/ingredients in North America. I also brought in my own make up/lotion/hairspray to be tested. The testing lasted 5 days. I am allergic to formadelhyde (which is in everything from cleansers, to make up to shampoo) and Quaternium-15, which is a similar item.

I was told that the eyelids react first because the skin there is so thin and also because we touch our eyes quite often throughout the day, even when we do not realize it.

If your redness persists and you can't find answers, ask your dermatologist about patch testing.
This is the second time I wake up with the puffiness, irritation and very very itchy area right under my eyes!!! At night it seems to get worse! The first time it happened I was in the hospital with my daughter during her surgery, and the only different thing that I used was the antibiotic soap that the hospital has in every bathroom! Needless to say that after I used it, throughout the day my eyes started to itch. At the end if the day the area around my eyes was very irritated & swollen. I took some over the counter allergy medicine and it relieved some of the itching but the puffiness kept getting worse. After we left the hospital I went to that clinic carenow, they gave me a steroid shot and a z-pack and by the next 2 days the swelling had gone away. I'm going there again today. This time I think it was 1 of 2 new things that I used; new soap that was very high in perfume or a new cream to help as an undereye treatment for wrinkles. Stopped using both of them. Check the new items that you use since it could be that you're very sensitive!
Thanks for this forum. Yup, for me it is definitely the MAC foundation I started using 10 days ago. I barely dabbed it on my upper eyelids, but it certainly dried it out and brought out my allergies. I have always used Cetephil soap and moisturizer and have a bottle of Metrolotion on hand in case I have a facial skin flair up but I have never had a reaction like this on my eyelids. I'm really glad people have mentioned MAC makeup, because it is the cause of my reaction. I will know search for an hypoallergenic foundation.
I am having similiar symptons. For me it's under my left eye. Dry, flaky and itchy skin. I am gonna stop using the MAC eye liner I'd been using for awhile and also the concealer I've been using. I will see if that helps. I am not of the financial capability at this time to go to a doctor and get a prescription for a 100 dollar eye cream. So I am looking for any less pricey solutions others can offer me.
Viewing 1-200 comments: