ALLERGY
COMMUNITY
dry red sore itchy bumpy under eye skin
by jezabella, Sep 25, 2008
Last year I suddenly developed dry skin on the left eyelid and was prescibed hydrocortisone.  Unfortunately it spreaded to the right eyelid the to the bottom of both eyes.  The hydrocrtisone did not work, instead peeled away a little skin.  I continued wearing make up (mac) as my dark circles are very bad.
I went to see an optician who thought it was bletharitis, but I don't think it was.  And I had an allergy test (machine tested me on 3000 products).  I was told that I was allergic to lanolin (sheep wool fat),dust, basil and squid.  I was also told that my boots sensitive mascara did not agree with me.  I am not aware of ever having used lanolin.  I stopped wearing eye make up and only used vaseline around the eyes.
Approx. 2 months later it suddenly vanished, not sure how?  I had put up with the problem for 11 months, gradually becoming worse.
And now after 2 months of it having gone away, it has returned again. This time it happened much quicker, starting on the right lower eye, then moved to the left.  The right under eye is very red, sore and dry.  It feels so rough to touch.  I have not worn make up today and have only applied vaseline and aqeous cream.

I haven't changed any toileteries or make up in the last 2 months.  I am not sure what it could be?  I don't think it is eczema, but believe it could be an allergic reaction to something.  I can't seem to work out what it could be?  Could it be an allergic reaction to something i am using around the eye or a food product?  Please help me.

Jezabella
Member Comments (242)
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Sep 25, 2008

It can be due to eczema. It is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites). Treatment includes avoidance of the allergen, oral antihistaminics; topical application of corticosteroids and oral steroids in severe cases.You may try application of calamine on the affected site. It may work by soothing the skin.

Other possibility is of erythroderma.It is a generalized skin disorder characterized by reddening and scaling of the skin and produced by several skin diseases, such as psoriasis, contact dermatitis, drug reactions, and mycosis fungoides (a cutaneous lymphoma).

I feel that an examination by a dermatologist will be the best.Other conditions like liver and kidney disorders,diabetes, iron deficiency anemia and thyroid disorders also have to be ruled out.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.

by jezabella, Sep 26, 2008
Thanks for your comment.  My eyes have become worse this morning,even though I only applied aqeous cream and vaseline to the eye area and face yesterday.  The right under eye is especially swollen. Will have to take the day off work again to see the doctor.
It still feels very dry.
Thanks againfor tour kind help.
Jezabella
by lisamarie524, Oct 04, 2008

Over the last two weeks my eyes have been the same - At first they are very red and lumpy just on the delicate under eye area then they seem to get worse as the day goes on becoming ithcy and very dry and i dont look very attractive!! I applied several creams including sudo cream but nothing seems to get rid and even the most gentle creams sting like mad - the only thing that doesnt is Vaseline!! eventually they got better until last week i went out with some friends and had quite a few Vodka and diet coke!! The next day my eyes seem to get worse and worse as the day went on taking all week to get any better.
I  have noticed a pattern - it seems to flare up every time after a night out drinking alcohol - i went out for a meal last night and had a few drinks and this mornin it is back again!!

I have not been to the docs yet- but i am going to as i dont think its some thing im usin around my eyes - may be we are allergic to alcohol!!

I hope not!

Any way just thought i would share this with you as it sounds as though we have very simalar symptons

Lisa

by mtroy2008, Oct 21, 2008

I have exactly the same thing

red, itchy, burns when i apply any creams

went and got allergy tests done and nothing came back

comes up bad after a night out, beginning to think its spirits - its only happened in the last 6 months

skin red, tight, and itchy

if you have any look let me know
by Trif, Oct 22, 2008
I have similar sounding problem. Very itchy and dry looking skin round the eye area, including the bridge of my nose. One eye is worse than the other. I have tried vaseline, aloe vera gel, even steroid cream which the doc prescribed after diagnosing blepharitis.

I don't think it's blepharitis as a lot of the symptoms don't match, eg I don't have crusty or sticky eyes in the morning any more than is normal.

Have trawled the net and can't find anything other than an allergic problem. The only thing I can think of is my cats, but I have the itchiness even when away from cats on hols. ??

Nothing seems to work. Although wiping them with cotton ball and hot water seems to keep the itching at bay for a while.
by IloveHarp, Oct 27, 2008
I have had the same symptoms for over a year.  I've been to many doctors and had my hormones tested-they're normal.  My dermatologist said I was allergic to cocamide something or other which is virtually in every soap and shampoo, so I threw out all make up, soaps, shampoos, etc...no change.
Finally went to an allergist.  I have an allergy to Candida (yeast) in my body and certain foods cause the flare up...mainly EVERYTHING!  I'm pretty depressed about it because I either can't eat anything I enjoy or the trade off is looking like a freak of nature because my eyes swell up and itch like crazy...
Foods I have to avoid: sugar including sugar substitutes, dairy, wheat, alcohol, all cheese, all canned vegetables and fruits, all tomato sauces or tomato products in jars or cans, any corn related product,peanuts or peanut butter, jams or jellies, potatoes, all vinegars, condiments, hot sauces, soy related products, all breads, pastas, etc...most fruits except for berries.
The one thing I've continued to do is drink coffee daily although many Candida free diets tell you to avoid caffeine.  It does not seem to affect me-thank god!
What CAN  I eat?  fresh vegetables, extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice and lime juice, almonds, probioitic yogurt, long cooking oatmeal, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, brown rice, fish, chicken and meat that has not been marinated, mmmm, that's about it.  
I have continued to eat walnuts even though I'm not supposed to...
typical daily diet - yogurt with walnuts, cinnamon, rasberries or blueberries
lunch-fresh spinach or arugala with almonds, evo oil, lemon juice salt and pepper and green apple peeled.
dinner-fish or chicken and salad (same as lunch) or brown rice

My question is this - has anyone gotten past this allergy and been able to go back to eating a normal diet???  or has anyone found an easy solution?

no longer a beer drinker  
by mable999, Nov 09, 2008
I have the same problem but can't seem to find any help sites anywhere they all seem to refer to eyeballs! Im going to try to avoid alchol!! See if it makes a difference.
They seem worse when they get dry and are better when moisturised but the hydrocortisone cream is making my eye skin thin and I' more wrinkly now.
Help!!!
Mable
by Cencilee, Nov 12, 2008
I just started getting these same symptoms two weeks ago and I dont know what to do. I have this patch right under my right eye that is red, swollen, dry and itchy. I try putting vaseline on it but that seems to just temporarily solve the issue. It is embarassing to go out without my glasses on (which hide the patch) so I never wear my contacts anymore...just hide behind my glasses. I have tried benedryl, neosporin, etc. and nothing seems to help. It hasn't spread yet to my other eye but I am thining it might start. HELP PLEASE!?!?!
by Carolyn4247, Nov 15, 2008
I've had the same problem for about 7 months now. It started under my right eye, at the time I thought it was stress related as I was doing my Final Year Project for college. However I am finished college now and it has spread to my left eye. I also am getting occasional dry skin on the bridge of my nose, and on top of everything my lips are getting dry and itchy too. I am allergic to lipsticks and lipgloss so I haven't worn them in over 6 years. However this time my lips started acting up for no reason. Does anyone else have this problem with their lips? I went to my dermatologist and he said there is nothing I can do about it. Steroid creams are too risky around the eye, and they also create wrinkles. He said to keep the areas moisturised with vaseline, especially during the cold winter months. He said it could go away...or not. It's just the type of skin I have. I could be allergic to anything, make-up, food, etc. I think we just have to deal with it and learn to love our red and itchy eyes.

If anyone finds a cure let me know!!!!!